As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apt. Neighbor Mishandles Aggressive Dog

NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
For about a year now, I have been having problems with a neighbor in our condo building who does not handle her *breed* very well. She is a petite girl, and walks the dog on a standard leash and collar, usually holding the leash at the end furthest from the dog. To her credit, she tries to avoid other dog owners in the building, but its not fool-proof.

Our first encounter was in July of last year when we brought our 13 week old puppy home. His second day home, I was house training on the side of the building. She attempts to exit the building as we are walking past the door, and her dog pulls her out the door, completely out of control. Her dog lunged and, fortunately, only slobbered my pups neck as she happened to gain control. He went for a second lunge, but I put my foot down in front of his face as she gained control again. Her response was "Don't kick my dog!" I was appalled, but I decided not to escalate it there.

I decided to file a complaint with our condo administrator, but there was nothing that the condo association could do. I then filed a complaint with Animal Control, but they told me there was little they could do unless the dog actually attacked and bit. They did say they would contact her and discuss the consequences of a successful attack and offer some recommendations. I don't know if that happened.

Since then, when we pass each other in the common areas or outside, she makes passive aggressive comments to her dog about me or my girlfriend. We chuckle, because its quite immature and pathetic. We also keep these encounters documented in case anything should ever come of it. She never changes the way she handles the dog, though.

Yesterday, we had a repeat encounter of the July incident, except she gained control a foot or two away from us. There was a witness. Again, I reported it to the condo admin, who again said she could not do anything except keep it documented.

At this point, I feel pretty helpless as far as protecting my dogs, myself, or my girlfriend from this reckless girl and her aggressive *breed*. I will be calling animal control again, but I don't expect they'll be of much help, since it clearly didn't change anything the first time. I've been reluctant to communicate with the girl directly because, well, she is not very pleasant and I don't think she would be rational.

What do I do? I am thinking about leaving some documentation in her mailbox regarding the Gentle Leader head collar and some other collars she might want to consider, and whether I should attach a letter. Maybe even include the training DVD from our gentle leader.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
steam_sig-400.png
NailbunnyPD on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Keep logging everything and keep reporting it to everyone you can report it to. If anything try and escalate it with the condo company as a dangerous dog situation. Ask them to make sure to include a copy of the report in both of your files. To be frank, I'm sure there is more the condo association can do but they chose not to. As for animal control, I don't think they can do anything other than talk to her until the dog bites but you can possibly insist they come out and investigate the dog and it's care.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The bylaws for the condo association do not allow them to do anything about it. They ran it by their lawyer, and basically, its an owner dispute. They have copies of my documentation, though. I was elected to the council this year, though, so maybe I can get that changed.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's probably not much you can do unless the dog actually bites you or your dog. I've owned two Shar Pei's, and they are fiercely loyal to their owners. Even with proper training, we still had a lot of problems getting them to not be aggressive when company came over.

It sucks, but she might not be intentionally making the dog aggressive or training it poorly, she might just suck with a leash.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate dog owners like this. Don't they realize that if their dog attacks another animal, or person, they will likely be put down?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There's probably not much you can do unless the dog actually bites you or your dog. I've owned two Shar Pei's, and they are fiercely loyal to their owners. Even with proper training, we still had a lot of problems getting them to not be aggressive when company came over.

It sucks, but she might not be intentionally making the dog aggressive or training it poorly, she might just suck with a leash.

That's entirely the problem. The dog is too powerful for her using a standard leash and collar, and she won't even attempt to use anything else, like a prong collar or gentle leader. The condo admin suggested a muzzle, but she feared it would only make the dog more aggressive. :?:

I guess I am looking for a way to communicate to this girl that she needs to take some better precautions to prevent an attack. God forbid it ever happens, I doubt either of us want to suffer the consequences. I would do everything in my power to make sure the dog is euthanized.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that's not really something you should hope for, i'm sure the dog can be rehabilitated. However, it is probably very likely if something happens.

I'm amazed at the lack of information on the internet about dealing with aggressive dogs other than your own.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does the dog make a lot of noise or does the owner not collect the poop? If you can't get something done on the attack/bite angle then you got to look somewhere else.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am finding some information in the city ordinance that might be of use for me when talking with Animal Control.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusdeoddover_wilmington.htm#s31
    Sec. 3-1. Definitions.

Public nuisance animal means any domestic animal or group of domestic animals which:

(1) Is repeatedly found at large;

(2) Damages the property of anyone other than its owner;

(3) Menaces passersby or chases passing vehicles, or exhibits behavior which requires a defensive action by any person to prevent physical contact, bodily injury or property damage when such person is conducting himself peacefully and lawfully, or engages in an attack which results in property damage; or

(4) Barks, whines, howls or emits any sound in an excessive or continuous fashion.
    Sec. 3-7.1. Public nuisance animals.

(a) A reasonable attempt shall be made to notify the owner of any animal suspected of constituting a public nuisance.

(b) Every public nuisance animal shall, upon demand, be delivered to the Delaware Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. It shall be unlawful for the owner of a public nuisance animal to refuse to surrender such animal to a control officer. Such refusal is punishable by a fine of $20.00.

(c) A public nuisance animal which has been impounded by the animal control officer may be redeemed by the owner only upon the conditions established in this chapter. Any animal found unredeemable by the Delaware Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals shall be disposed of in a humane manner.

(Code 1968, § 22-9; Ord. No. 95-046(sub 1), § 1, 8-31-95)

Editor's note: Ord. No. 95-046(sub 1), § 1, adopted Aug. 31, 1995, renumbered former § 3-16 as 3-7.1.

Now it might be a stretch to claim its a dangerous dog based on the definitions in the ordinance, but there is mention of public nuisance in the following section.
    Sec. 3-11. Restraint and confinement; penalties for violation of section.

(a) All animals shall not only be kept under restraint at all times, but also, while on any public street, highway, lane, alley, or sidewalk, or in or on any part of any public park or parkland, public square, or other public space, or in or on any open space that is private property without the consent of the owner, shall be secured by a leash or chain of sufficient tensile strength to restrain the particular animal and shall be securely muzzled as may be required by subsection (d) of this section. If, in any park that is located partly or entirely in the city, there is a designated area for dogs to be without a leash or chain, but with their owners or other responsible persons, then the requirement of a leach or chain shall not apply but only within such designated area.

(b) No owner shall fail to exercise proper care and control of his domestic animals to prevent them from becoming a public nuisance.

(c) Every female dog or cat in heat shall be confined in a building or other enclosure in such a manner that such female dog or cat cannot come into contact with another animal except for planned breeding.

(d) (1) Every dangerous animal shall be confined by its owner or authorized agent of its owner within a building or secure enclosure and, whenever off the premises of its owner or the owner's agent, shall be securely muzzled and be restrained with a chain having a minimum tensile strength of 300 pounds and not more than three feet in length, or be caged. Every person harboring a dangerous animal is charged with an affirmative duty to confine his animal in such a way that children do not have access to such animal. No person shall own or harbor any animal for the purpose of animal-fighting, or train, torment, badger, bait or use any animal for the purpose of causing or encouraging such animal to perpetrate unprovoked attacks upon human beings or domestic animals.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of law, be 100% on the legality of a prong collar before giving information on those to her. Although I'm pretty sure Delaware is fine.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I recommend getting some pepper spray just in case there is an attack. It's not lethal so it wont hurt your puppy even if it happens to get a bit on it, and though you may be able to physically break it up I don't know how to you feel about violence against other animals.

I would probably pepper spray the dog if it charged at your pup again, and tell her that if they actually fight that you wont be treating her dog kindly when you try to break it up with physical force.

She sounds a little ditzy and maybe it hasn't sunk in that her dogs behavior isn't just annoying, it's dangerous and unacceptable.

I'm not advocating you threaten violence, just be sure she's aware that your responsibility is to your pup and not to her aggressive animal, and it's her responsibility to walk her dog properly.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No 3rd party is going to get involved unless the dog attacks someone or another animal.

Having been in a similar situation (girl not being able to control a dog-aggressive dominant dog) I can tell you she's not going to listen to you and offerring advice is pointless and will likely invite additional passive-aggressive BS. You aren't going to change her behavior cause she doesn't see a problem. In my case, their dog actually bit my wifes dog (who was displaying very submissive behavior). Even then management wouldn't get involved, though I did get some money out of them to address the 1st vet bill. I filed a report with animal control, but they said they couldn't really do anything (I guess cause our dog didn't die or something?), though perhaps if there's another reported incident with that dog there might be grounds to have the animal put down.

Avoid her, and maybe pick up some strong pepper spray or something if you are concerned about an attack, though if you do that make sure you know how to use it so you don't end up macing yourself.

Edit: Though I'm pessimistic given this has been going on for a year and the passive-aggressive stuff, you cannot lose anything by trying to talk to her. I think a conversation would be a better way of dealing with it then a note though. Like "Hi, I'm NailbunnyPD, I think we got off on the wrong foot ..." and maybe have some brownies/cookies or something; the key to succesful communication is getting past any defensiveness she might have. I might hold off buying any particular control mechanism though. The gentle leader did not work for my dog (he wouldn't tolerate it and would open up wounds on his muzzle to get it off), and though a harness was able to give me control over a powerful pulling dog, it wasn''t helpful in inhibitting the pulling at all. I had to break my guy on a pinch collar to retrain him for the leash. I'm looking to pick up an illusion lead/collar so if he ever starts pulling again I don't need to use the pinch collar. It's supposed to be good for powerful pullers with strong necks.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Djeet wrote: »
    ...though perhaps if there's another reported incident with that dog there might be grounds to have the animal put down.

NailbunnyPD is on the apartment council, so they must interact with other tenants- Someone else must have complaints as well about this dog to strengthen their case?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have you tried talking to her, when the dog isn't around? Maybe she just doesn't understand what she can do and how to properly handle the dog. Perhaps offer to email her some literature or something if she seems receptive?

Looking at it from her point of view, she's trying to control her dog, but its difficult. Maybe she just needs a couple pointers or reassurance that a different collar won't hurt the dog, etc.

Cauld on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A muzzle really won't help that much. It won't give her control over the dogs head and dogs can still do quite a bit of damage "punching" with a closed muzzle.

You really can't do much to affect the other dog long term. Are you willing to buy a gentle leader for her? Getting it in hot pink or baby blue or one of their new cute patterns might help the owner accept it.

If you are looking for ways to stop the dog while it is lunging at you you can try citronella spray, air horns or even throwing food at the dog (it will distract the dog and give you time to get away as long as your dog has a solid leave-it).

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Macing the dog when it lunges on a leash is going to escalate things really quickly, and possibly not in your favor. Even though the owner is clearly being a bad dog owner, it's always going to be just your word versus hers until someone gets hurt. If you mace the dog while it would've been brought up 6" short of actually getting you, you're in the wrong and probably going to get in trouble. It's not great, but life is full of some annoying, unfair moments.

Just protect your dog from the other dog and try your best to explain to the dog owner why she's in the wrong, not using passive aggressive note dropping but in direct, clear terms. "It's clear you have trouble holding you have trouble holding your dog back when it lunges. If it ever bit me, it would be euthanized and you'd be in some legal trouble. I really recommend X product to help you walk it more safely."

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    um. My sister was kindve that girl you are describing. She has a lab-pit mix- looks like a black lab more than a pit. The dog pisses itself in fear if I look at it- funny at first but annoying after the 20th time. Anyways it hates puppies and she had a similar incident to what youve described. The other owned just calmly talked to her and offered some suggestions about training techniques and different leads and that was the end of it. A police officer happened to witness the event and gave my sister a ticket for having a dog in the parking lot of a no dog park- no ticket to the puppy owner.... kinda ghey. Though the girl in your case might be to immature.

My sister was so embarrassed she ended up sending the dog back home to live with my parents who have a more room for him.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Macing the dog when it lunges on a leash is going to escalate things really quickly, and possibly not in your favor. Even though the owner is clearly being a bad dog owner, it's always going to be just your word versus hers until someone gets hurt. If you mace the dog while it would've been brought up 6" short of actually getting you, you're in the wrong and probably going to get in trouble. It's not great, but life is full of some annoying, unfair moments.

Just protect your dog from the other dog and try your best to explain to the dog owner why she's in the wrong, not using passive aggressive note dropping but in direct, clear terms. "It's clear you have trouble holding you have trouble holding your dog back when it lunges. If it ever bit me, it would be euthanized and you'd be in some legal trouble. I really recommend X product to help you walk it more safely."

The way he described it she barely has control of the dog. It's a matter of time before she loses hold of the leash entirely, and spraying it with pepper spray when it's running at you is a lot nicer than breaking it's jaw with a boot if it engages your animal.

I would only advise spraying it if the alternative is a physical confrontation that would result in additional risk of harm.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using lethal force on a wild animal attacking you or your pet. Sadly, you'd probably have to make sure it does actual damage to protect yourself against a lawsuit.

I'm sorry your neighbors is an idiot Nailbunny. My neighbors as a kid were idiots too, and I have the scars (while they have the dead dog) to prove it.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here's a draft letter I might drop in her mailbox. Recommendations welcome.

*removed*

I have a spare head collar, and you'll see I offer to loan it to her if she wants to try it. The pepper spray idea might be a good one, but I would fear spraying my own dogs, or even being a bit trigger happy with it. I guess that is better than losing my dogs to an attack.

I'm not the only tenant with concerns, but I don't know if anyone else has had near attacks like I have. I walk my dogs A LOT, so there is a lot of opportunity for this to happen. I am actually surprised its been 10 months between incidents.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here's a draft letter I might drop in her mailbox. Recommendations welcome.
    I understand we have our differences, but I hope that we can put them aside to frankly discuss yesterday's encounter. Yesterday evening, while exiting the 14th Street entrance, you lost control of your dog for a second time. Fortunately, you regained control in time to prevent an attack against my dogs. I have a deep concern that there will come a time when you may not successfully regain control. I fear this will result in an attack, injury, and potentially death. The consequences of such an attack, according to the City of Wilmington ordinance, include fines, a misdemeanor charge, and possible euthanization of the animal.

Personally, I do not want to see such an event occur. I fear not only for the victim, but you as the owner. I can't imagine the feelings associated with being forced to euthanize due to an attack, never mind the guilt in knowing that an attack could have been prevented by using effective restraint. Two methods of restraint that I can personally recommend include a head collar or a pronged collar.

The most common head collar would appear to be the Gentle Leader. Our younger dog, Jack, pulls incessently on the leash. I used the Gentle Leader to correct Jack's pulling with great success. I've since switched to another variation of head collar called the EZ Comfort Trainer, but the Gentle Leader is more widely available. I've attached a product description from their website, and an extra training DVD that is included with the collar. I even have an extra collar if you'd like to try it before purchasing one.

Reading up on a Shar Pei forum, I see other owners use a pronged collar when a head collar does not fit or causes irritation to the snout. I've purchased a pronged collar for my uncle, who owned an aggressive Husky/Shepard at the time, and it was completely effective in correcting his problems when walking, and allowed them to enjoy their walks again. There is a common misconception that the pronged collar will injure the dog. When properly sized, this is not true, as can be tested on your arm or leg. It is considerably safer for a dog than a choke collar, which I would be reluctant to recommend.

I hope that you will take my concerns and recommendations seriously. If you care to discuss this further, please feel free to drop a reply in my mailbox.

I have a spare gentle leader, and you'll see I offer to loan it to her if she wants to try it. The pepper spray idea might be a good one, but I would fear spraying my own dogs, or even being a bit trigger happy with it. I guess that is better than losing my dogs to an attack.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to hit your own dogs with it, but if it breaks up an otherwise violent confrontation, and your dog is passive and moves behind you or is submissive, I don't think you'd hit it in the face/eyes/nose as easily as the dog who is bull rushing.

I like the letter. Keep a copy.

edit: When I was a 9-10 there was a neighbor who had dogs who would constantly jump the fence and chase me home. They were aggressive but not exceedingly violent, though they would have torn me up. I filled a squirt gun with window cleaner, soap, water and some cayenne pepper. After spraying them in the face with it one day on the walk home when they were running along their fence to hop over the smallest part, they cowered and left me alone.

I didn't even have to carry the squirt gun after a couple days, I could just hold up my hand.

I would imagine pepper spray may have the same effect were you to actually have to use it.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think you have a better chance of success just talking to her. You'll also get some immediate feedback on whether or not you think she's actually listening to you.

I think the first paragraph is likely to put her on the defensive and then she's not going to take the rest in at all. Just my 2 cents.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Djeet wrote: »
    I think you have a better chance of success just talking to her. You'll also get some immediate feedback on whether or not you think she's actually listening to you.

I think the first paragraph is likely to put her on the defensive and then she's not going to take the rest in at all. Just my 2 cents.

Notes are considered a passive-aggressive way of dealing with confrontations for a reason.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just talk to her. Read over your own posts again, but keep in mind the question, "Am I being passive aggressive?"

Everything you have done so far has been going (more or less) out of your way not to deal with this problem directly. Deal with this problem directly. Talk to her. Explain the situation. Tell her that if her dog's teeth actually connect with you or your dog, it will likely be put to sleep. Don't use the word "put down." Hell, you might even want to say, "Animal control will take your dog and kill it."

Don't put a letter in her mailbox. Passive aggressive actions never solve arguments.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Just talk to her. Read over your own posts again, but keep in mind the question, "Am I being passive aggressive?"

Everything you have done so far has been going (more or less) out of your way not to deal with this problem directly. Deal with this problem directly. Talk to her. Explain the situation. Tell her that if her dog's teeth actually connect with you or your dog, it will likely be put to sleep. Don't use the word "put down." Hell, you might even want to say, "Animal control will take your dog and kill it."

Don't put a letter in her mailbox. Passive aggressive actions never solve arguments.

Yes. Just say "If your dog bites mine, animal control legally obligated to take him, and possibly kill him. Neither of us want that".

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It sounds like from the start this could have been handled in a more adult way by you and her.

She saw her dog about to be kicked for doing something it probably always has done.

You saw her being out of control and feared for your dog's safety.

The initial altercation was the best opportunity for you to discuss this matter with her, and given that you had a second altercation and still didn't engage her like an adult, I guess a passive-aggressive, condescending letter would be your logical next step. That letter is really a bad idea, but if you're scared of actually talking with her, you're better off simply not bothering with the letter and just staying away from where she walks her dog.

badpoet on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've heard of people using air horns to fend off/scare attacking dogs.

Notes may be passive aggressive, but they're also harder to deny or "misremember" in court than a face-to-face conversation. I can picture her hearing, "Look, if your dog bites someone there's a good chance it will be put to sleep" and interpreting it as "He threatened to KILL MY DOG, OMG!"

This girl sounds like an idiot and crapass dog owner, so I'm pessimistic about anything getting through to her until her dog actually bites someone.

LadyM on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    On the pepper spray, just remember that its pretty damn dangerous to get in between fighting dogs, even if yours is submissive, you jumping in with a hand or a leg is going to get you bitten if the altercation is bad.

I also would suggest talking to her when shes not defensive, in public and embarrassed while trying to control her much stronger than her dog. Meaning you'll have to be less passive aggressive and seek her out.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    LadyM wrote: »
    I've heard of people using air horns to fend off/scare attacking dogs.

Notes may be passive aggressive, but they're also harder to deny or "misremember" in court than a face-to-face conversation. I can picture her hearing, "Look, if your dog bites someone there's a good chance it will be put to sleep" and interpreting it as "He threatened to KILL MY DOG, OMG!"

This girl sounds like an idiot and crapass dog owner, so I'm pessimistic about anything getting through to her until her dog actually bites someone.

You are being absolutely silly.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The family whose sweet lovable dog attacked me and two other children (while dragging the owner behind it) on three separate occasions tried to argue in a court of law that we'd (individually, separately) provoked it.

So I don't think it's silly at all.

adytum on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have you ever tried talking to her when neither dog is present?

If you are good at lying saying something along the lines of "Hey, I noticed that your dog is a pretty strong puller, I used to have that problem and this gentle leader helped me, would you like to borrow it?" is more likely to get a positive response than telling her you are going to try to get her dog killed if it bites yours.

Also, I know you are already looking at your local animal control laws, but I haven't heard of any places where a dog biting another dog once results in the first dog being euthanized. Lying to her about the law isn't exactly going to help your cause.

EDIT: also citronella spray is probably a better idea than pepper spray. It is more of a liquid stream so you are less likely to get yourself or your dog by accident.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kistra wrote: »
    EDIT: also citronella spray is probably a better idea than pepper spray. It is more of a liquid stream so you are less likely to get yourself or your dog by accident.
    This. Dogs hate citronella.

Chickeen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The reason why notes are particularly bad in a conflict situation is that it's a one-way transmission of information. If someone might resist in engaging in civil dialogue, what makes anyone think they're going to listen to someones monologue?

If it makes you feel better, go ahead.

If you attempt to engage in dialogue you have the opportunity to change directions or alter tone in response to immediate feedback, engage in some kind of ice-breaking banter, lots of stuff you cannot do in a letter or is much more difficult to do; overall it's just much more likely to result in positive outcomes if you can approach it with an open mind and some sensitivity.

Kistra: Is citronella effective?

If you go pepper spray route you can opt for a foam, which directs a more coherent stream and has no mist, it also clings better. I'd hate to see a pet sprayed, but I think it may be necessary in an attack situation with a powerful dog and an owner who's overpowered.

Djeet on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    badpoet wrote: »
    It sounds like from the start this could have been handled in a more adult way by you and her.

She saw her dog about to be kicked for doing something it probably always has done.

The initial altercation was the best opportunity for you to discuss this matter with her, and given that you had a second altercation and still didn't engage her like an adult, I guess a passive-aggressive, condescending letter would be your logical next step. That letter is really a bad idea, but if you're scared of actually talking with her, you're better off simply not bothering with the letter and just staying away from where she walks her dog.

OP, you need to take some responsibility for how poorly you handled this to begin with. You should try speaking with her as a "starting over" kind of gesture. But seriously, if it looked like you were about to kick my dog, no matter what was happening at the time, things would be escalating very f-ing quickly.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kistra wrote: »
    Have you ever tried talking to her when neither dog is present?

If you are good at lying saying something along the lines of "Hey, I noticed that your dog is a pretty strong puller, I used to have that problem and this gentle leader helped me, would you like to borrow it?" is more likely to get a positive response than telling her you are going to try to get her dog killed if it bites yours.

Also, I know you are already looking at your local animal control laws, but I haven't heard of any places where a dog biting another dog once results in the first dog being euthanized. Lying to her about the law isn't exactly going to help your cause.

I really only see her with her dog, and I rarely am out and about without mine. Also, based on the comments she has made to her dog, I really have no interest in having a face to face conversation without a witness present. She has said some crazy things and I don't want her to falsify our conversation to try to get me in trouble. I would rather do it via letter so that I have documentation.

Regarding euthanization, its in the ordinance, and it came up when I spoke with animal control last year. Its a very real possibility, so I don't think I am lying about that.

I will certainly look into citronella spray.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    OP, you need to take some responsibility for how poorly you handled this to begin with. You should try speaking with her as a "starting over" kind of gesture. But seriously, if it looked like you were about to kick my dog, no matter what was happening at the time, things would be escalating very f-ing quickly.

So what response WOULD you think was appropriate if you didn't have control of your dog and it was about to attack someone else's pet?

I don't see anything crazy about the OP's initial response. If someone/something tried to attack my dog, I would defend it.

LadyM on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    honestly her is my opinion fuck her if she complains that you go to kick her dog as its lunging at yours. she loses any right by having her dog pull that. Where we used to live there was this one dog who was kind of unstable. she growled aggressively at my wife when she was sitting on the ground at the dog park. our dog calmly walked up and sat between them and diffused the situation. however another day the dog snapped and went after our pup, and while the owner sat there and was like oh noes don't do that my dog. i was leaning back getting ready to punt it as far as i could. luckily it didn't come to that but you don't need to hesitate if it happens again.

anyways. more than likely the girl just doesn't accept that her dog is aggressive. no matter what you say to her , it unfortunately won't sink in until the dog does some damage.

i would just try and be extra careful to not have your dog around it.

also while not technically biting, lunging and slobbering the scruff is aggressive behavior and you should be able to get something done about it especially if it happens more than once.

those citronella sprays only really work since they surprise the dog and that causes them to stop

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

So what response WOULD you think was appropriate if you didn't have control of your dog and it was about to attack someone else's pet?

I don't see anything crazy about the OP's initial response. If someone/something tried to attack my dog, I would defend it.

I'm not saying his response is totally out of line, but hyper-reactionary dog owners can be just as bad as lax ones. I'm not saying this is the case, and of course the OP should protect his pet from a real threat... but I've seen numerous dog owners at various dog parts actually escalate situations that didn't need it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    badpoet wrote: »

This is sort of an example why I would want it as a formal letter. If a dog attacked my cat (which yes, I walk with a fucking leash) the dog would be dead, there would be no need to call animal control to come catch it or write a citation.

People often don't see their pet/child as the problem, it's always someone else or not that big of a deal. Talk to her about it by all means, be courteous, polite and non threatening. You may be best off leaving a small letter with your concerns and contact information so you can meet somewhere neutral without the pets around and have a normal discussion.

You sound like you don't want this thing to just continue as is with the risk of harm to yourself, your pet or her pet. She should have no problems with working this out civilized.

edit:

Something along the lines of,

Hello Sally Spoildog,

I'd like to come to some agreement on a solution to the problem between our pets. I'm concerned for the safety of both animals and would prefer to have a discussion at your earliest convenience to work this out. <insert friendly banter>

Sincerely,

Nailbunny
    (phone)
    (email)

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Keep in mind, I had the dog approximately 24 hours. In the heat of the moment, I didn't really have time tothink the situation through. Maybe I should have gone for the leash, but who's to say that wouldn't have given the dog time to attack. My guy went all submissive, he didn't try to flee. It was a 70+ lbs Shar Pei vs a 25-30 lbs puppy. My immediate reaction was to put myself between them, regardless of the consequences.

Besides, this thread isn't about what I should have done, but what I should do now.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    This is sort of an example why I would want it as a formal letter. If a dog attacked my cat (which yes, I walk with a fucking leash) the dog would be dead, there would be no need to call animal control to come catch it or write a citation.

People often don't see their pet/child as the problem, it's always someone else or not that big of a deal. Talk to her about it by all means, be courteous, polite and non threatening. You may be best off leaving a small letter with your concerns and contact information so you can meet somewhere neutral without the pets around and have a normal discussion.

You sound like you don't want this thing to just continue as is with the risk of harm to yourself, your pet or her pet. She should have no problems with working this out civilized.

That also sounds good. Nothing better than a formal, nonthreatening letter from you, and then a poisonous, hate-filled voicemail from her in case you need evidence.

Octoparrot on