As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic Online - V.4 Client Public Beta looms before us

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    killamajig wrote: »
    I literally said to the GF last weekend... "You know, we haven't touched MTGO in months, since we've been broke and busy. Maybe I should turn our single Jace into a pile of draft sets so we could have some fun or something."

"You know you'll regret it later..."

*sigh*

:cry:

metaghost on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People will never forget $100 Jaces, but he had been tanking over the past couple of months anyway.

[strike]And barring a reprint, he'll probably never drop below $50, so you can still get a few drafts out of him.[/strike]

Wow, I just checked traders and he's in stock at $35. Nevermind then, I just naturally think paper.

Huxley on
  • Options
    greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    seeking advice:
    I just installed mtgo after a long break from the game and I have a few boosters from 2006 (10th ed, coldsnap/dissension/guildpact). any reason not to open these if I'm just a casual player?

greebzilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    greebzilla wrote: »
    seeking advice:
    I just installed mtgo after a long break from the game and I have a few boosters from 2006 (10th ed, coldsnap/dissension/guildpact). any reason not to open these if I'm just a casual player?

Hmmmmmmm.

Well, if you have a draft set of Ravnica / Guildpact / Dissension and you enjoy drafting, I would hold onto those until they do another Rav block No-Tix event.

If you're interested in getting up to date, I would try and sell other out-of-print packs in the classifieds, as you're unlikely to open anything worth money, or even worth playing really. Especially in Coldsnap. You either luck out and crack Dark Depths or you ain't got shit.

But if you really don't care about much of anything and just want to crack some packs and mess around in the casual room, go for it.

metaghost on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    metaghost wrote: »
    Didn't see anyone mention this, so for the sake of informing: Jace and Mystic, we hardly knew you

The "Event Deck" Escape clause is hilarious.

Ninja edits: He's already under 30 tix.

I was cracking up at random dudes in classifieds offering "1 ticket for Jace + Mystic".

so glad jace got banned, need one for my edh decks but I am never going to spend $100 on one. just hope it keeps crashing down in price to like 15tix, that i could afford.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I made an account for this because DotP 2012 made Magic so much more enjoyable for me. Also, it turns out my coworker knows some Lvl 3 and 5 judges. The number of cards is overwhelming, and i could use some help assembling decks like those in DotP. Some of the cards given look ooooooooollllllllldddddd. But I'm delighted to see I recieved so many. It's gonna be hell making a deck of each color though.

I picked up my special card from Sci Fi City, and it now sits beside the Garruk Wildspeaker card a year ago.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    I made an account for this because DotP 2012 made Magic so much more enjoyable for me. Also, it turns out my coworker knows some Lvl 3 and 5 judges. The number of cards is overwhelming, and i could use some help assembling decks like those in DotP. Some of the cards given look ooooooooollllllllldddddd. But I'm delighted to see I recieved so many. It's gonna be hell making a deck of each color though.

I picked up my special card from Sci Fi City, and it now sits beside the Garruk Wildspeaker card a year ago.

Cantido, pretty much all the cards they give you are only useable in specific "Planeswalker Format" duels.

I'll try and hunt down some of the exact decklists from DotP 2012, but as far as I know a lot of them are comprised of unleased M12 cards (like all the Bloodthirst stuff) so the cards aren't online yet. Nonetheless, add me to your buddy list and PM me if you catch me online. I can give you a bunch of excess cards and hopefully you can get some of the DotP decks up and running.

metaghost on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

Cantido, pretty much all the cards they give you are only useable in specific "Planeswalker Format" duels.

I'll try and hunt down some of the exact decklists from DotP 2012, but as far as I know a lot of them are comprised of unleased M12 cards (like all the Bloodthirst stuff) so the cards aren't online yet. Nonetheless, add me to your buddy list and PM me if you catch me online. I can give you a bunch of excess cards and hopefully you can get some of the DotP decks up and running.

Ouch. I just meant "deck that will let play online while looking normal and not like a noob." So I can't use them? That's brutal.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dudes, I tried to draft around a first pick Phyrexian Obliterator, but that's fricking hard.

Ultimately, my deck is kinda interesting, but I'm "splashing" blue for Cryptoplasm, Spire Monitor, and Blue Sun's Zenith.

Yeah, my mana is awkward.

EDIT - Obliterator draft went pretty well, but goddamn, I'm sick of this format. Mostly because I suck at it, but also just so much random shit that makes me want to punch myself. Round one of 8-4, facing down a board of random janky shit like Hover Myr, when suddenly they transform into beasts of destruction because my opponent rips Jor Kadeen. Round three of swiss, controlling the game, when oh, opponent rips Geth and revives my whole graveyard for his team. This is variance at its most obnoxious.

metaghost on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dudes, I tried to draft around a first pick Phyrexian Obliterator, but that's fricking hard.

Ultimately, my deck is kinda interesting, but I'm "splashing" blue for Cryptoplasm, Spire Monitor, and Blue Sun's Zenith.

Yeah, my mana is awkward.

EDIT - Obliterator draft went pretty well, but goddamn, I'm sick of this format. Mostly because I suck at it, but also just so much random shit that makes me want to punch myself. Round one of 8-4, facing down a board of random janky shit like Hover Myr, when suddenly they transform into beasts of destruction because my opponent rips Jor Kadeen. Round three of swiss, controlling the game, when oh, opponent rips Geth and revives my whole graveyard for his team. This is variance at its most obnoxious.

It's such a bomb centric format. So many things that most decks can't deal with. Any colored rare bomb is pretty much impossible deal with as the removal for them is so lackluster. There's like 4-5 removal spells that'll actually work on the colored bombs and if it's one of the toughness 6 dudes, you're pretty much screwed. Go for the Throat, Spread the Sickness, Pistus Strike and that's about it in the common/uncommon slots that'll deal with them on a 1 to 1 basis. You also have Arrest I suppose, being that enchantment removal is non-exsistent in the format, which just makes Ascetisism, True Conviction and Tempered Steel even bigger bombs, which is another issue. There's just too many game changers and not enough counters to them.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    BreadcrumbBreadcrumb Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for letting me into the clan, meta! (MTGO handle: "wizbert")

Like I said, it's been a while since I played and the interface is still confusing for me. Couple of questions, just to confirm:
    1) so if I'm drafting, does the game not allow me to communicate with other people through chat? I kept typing things and the messages seemed to be going nowhere.
    2) For Urza block drafts - white sucks and black is OP, right? I'm assuming that contributed to my embarrassing showing last night. Also, i seem to be one of the very few people left who draft old obsolete sets (and soon to be obsolete) - is there just a better night to catch these drafts?

Thanks gang!

Breadcrumb on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Breadcrumb wrote: »

Like I said, it's been a while since I played and the interface is still confusing for me. Couple of questions, just to confirm:
    1) so if I'm drafting, does the game not allow me to communicate with other people through chat? I kept typing things and the messages seemed to be going nowhere.
    2) For Urza block drafts - white sucks and black is OP, right? I'm assuming that contributed to my embarrassing showing last night. Also, i seem to be one of the very few people left who draft old obsolete sets (and soon to be obsolete) - is there just a better night to catch these drafts?

Thanks gang!

Answers:

1) While in a tournament queue, you're capable of communicating but your text is invisible to you. Presumably this is meant to dissuade you from trying because you'll be confused as to whether people are replying to you. But yeah...

2a) You know, while black is definitely OP due to common Pestilence and dudes like Bone Shredder, I'm pretty sure white is considered hella sweet because you get things like Sanctum Custodian and some other sweet Angels and stuff. I'm pretty sure Red is considering the worst, because people will just splash your burn and leave you with poop.

2b) Out of Print sets (things not sold in the official store) don't ever draft at a brisk pace, but sometimes there are special No ticket (nix tix) or No pack (nix pax) queues that make things more happenin'. For instance, Onslaught block queues are in effect right now, with draftsets costing about 15 tix in classifieds.

metaghost on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Breadcrumb wrote: »

Thanks gang!

Answers:

1) While in a tournament queue, you're capable of communicating but your text is invisible to you. Presumably this is meant to dissuade you from trying because you'll be confused as to whether people are replying to you. But yeah...

Actually whats happening is that anyone in the same queue as you is incapable of seeing anything you say; its to try and curb collusion between players. They didn't make an exception for yourself though, so you can't see your own text either.

Last Son on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The no chat thing is probably for the best. I used to rush draft ques in 2.0 with a friend or two and we would just tell each other what we were drafting. Back then you could also see table position so if we were near each other, we would end up with monster decks.

I really do miss proper draft pairings though. It blows to play the guy you passed all the infect to while your draft fell apart (my last 3 drafts...go go gadget tilt!)

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    With the right cards you can crush bombs in the current block. In particular black and white manage this very well. Between white's tapping and enchantments you can shut the field down no matter what's on it. If you can get metalcraft exile going as well it will just get stupid. Black has Geth's Verdict, dismember, and the enchantments that let you gain control of their critter/makes them sacrifice it for a token you get.

If you can get a white/black metalcrafting deck with a combination of each you will piss your opponents off to no end.

Edit: Jor is indeed a hell of a bomb. The scariest part being not just that he makes your field scary, but it's really hard to get around five first strike short of a control spell.

Daris on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Can I just make it clear that I knew it was there to prevent collusion but decided to simply make fun of their use of "invisible text" technology.

Dis be a no pedantry zone, bros.

metaghost on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The opponent I just played in the warmarks event had both a Tezz and Karn. Fucking crazy.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Realized i had 3 tempered steel and 2 heroes, so I put together a block deck. Jesus Tempered Steel is good. Shat all over everything I played except Bant, where I flooded madly. Block is so much fun. Now I want to put together a Bant deck =)

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    The opponent I just played in the warmarks event had both a Tezz and Karn. Fucking crazy.

Some dudes got all the luck.

My second round opponent had Domineer, Corrupted Conscience, and Volition Reins. Just needed Enslave to complete the set.

metaghost on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Planeswalker 2012 got me to reinstall this. Havent really played Magic in 4+ years. I tried my squirrel deck and got stomped a few times. Then my megrim bounce deck and got handed my but some more.

Good stuff.

So much to catch up on I guess if I'm going to start over.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In two of these war mark events, some of my horrible loot:

1. Yet another Tunnel Ignus.
    2. A Doubling Cube, so I can do jackshit in sealed.
    3. Retract, a one mana spell that lets you give up your board position, because that's good in limited.
    4. Gilded Lotus, so I can ramp into all these powerful spells I don't have.
    5. Moriok Rigger, a bear for 2B.
    6. An Unwinding Clock that's still useless even when expose to the original Mirrodin.

Some day, MTGO, some day I will open a sealed pool with basic playables, bombs, and removal. And I will get my revenge.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I shouldn't have laughed at that, but I did. Sorry.

Daris on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What was the big war mark event yesterday? I totally missed it and the typically crappy MTGO web page only mentions it without a link.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    What was the big war mark event yesterday? I totally missed it and the typically crappy MTGO web page only mentions it without a link.

There were a bunch of Mirrodin/Darksteel/Fifth Dawn/Scars/Besieged/New Phyrexia sealed events. They were very strange.

They're going to do another day of them at some point in July.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I literally said to the GF last weekend... "You know, we haven't touched MTGO in months, since we've been broke and busy. Maybe I should turn our single Jace into a pile of draft sets so we could have some fun or something."

"You know you'll regret it later..."

*sigh*

That's why you're in a relationship. You don't tell the women she's wrong. :wink:

Daris on
  • Options
    BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Iolo wrote: »

Wizards has one of the worst website imaginable. I think the only way to find out any information about mtgo is scour 3rd party forums, which is probably why I miss everything.

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Joined a Standard 2-Player Queue to try it out for the first time. RDW vs UB Control.
    I won!! :D

Came down to the last game. Didn't have an answer for the Wormcoil Engine second game but drew 2 in my opening hand the third.

Got myself a Scars booster, probably gonna sell it for tix.

I really enjoy the fast pacing of RDW and the fact that I can do pretty well despite my most expensive cards being Goblin Guides.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Joined a Standard 2-Player Queue to try it out for the first time. RDW vs UB Control.
    I won!! :D

Came down to the last game. Didn't have an answer for the Wormcoil Engine second game but drew 2 in my opening hand the third.

Got myself a Scars booster, probably gonna sell it for tix.

I really enjoy the fast pacing of RDW and the fact that I can do pretty well despite my most expensive cards being Goblin Guides.

Congraturations!

Definitely sell the pack, that way you can play in more queues and win more packs.

metaghost on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I think I want to get back into Magic. It was lots of fun back in high school, but the last time I really played was in college, so it's been almost a decade.

I also don't want to really start out from scratch so was thinking of just buying some large collection off ebay to start off with. Good idea? Or too easy to get scammed? I am assuming this is cheaper in the long-run than actually trying to acquire all those cards by myself. Is there some tool to quickly check csvs for valuation?

Also some of these seem to work by just giving you their account info and expecting you to trade it over yourself. I think this is technically against the CoC but not sure if it's actually also standard practice despite that given the amount of cards to transfer over.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dracil wrote: »
    So I think I want to get back into Magic. It was lots of fun back in high school, but the last time I really played was in college, so it's been almost a decade.

I also don't want to really start out from scratch so was thinking of just buying some large collection off ebay to start off with. Good idea? Or too easy to get scammed? I am assuming this is cheaper in the long-run than actually trying to acquire all those cards by myself. Is there some tool to quickly check csvs for valuation?

Also some of these seem to work by just giving you their account info and expecting you to trade it over yourself. I think this is technically against the CoC but not sure if it's actually also standard practice despite that given the amount of cards to transfer over.

The easiest way to build a collection is to buy playsets of all the recent commons and uncommons and go from there. Account buying is such a gigantic hassle, as transferring cards takes forever.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

If you're talking about MTG Online, there are vendor bots that sit in trade 24/7 and will sell you individual cards through Event Tickets.

MTGO sells tickets at 1 per $1, so they're effectively dollars. Buy some from Wizards and spend them on cards. Better to this than buy a large collection of cards you may never play in a deck.

If you're talking about real life... there are many ways to go about and get cards. If you want a collection, ebay can be a good choice. If you want to build decks to play with, it's better to buy individual cards that you know you'll want.

Or if you like cracking packs, you can just buy booster boxes.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just as a general announcement to all dudes thinking about hopping in on some MTGO with the PA crew, I (and probably many of the other limited players on here) have an absurd abundance of commons/uncommons that I will happily distribute for free.

After that point, it's definitely better to ignore concepts of "starting a collection" and instead focus on a given format that you have the most interest in and finding some decklists to explore. The only real purpose of deep and exotic collections is so that you can build wacky EDH/Commander decks like Artful Dodger does.

metaghost on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, back then I used to play 1.5 with my friend, mainly 'cause I had cards from Revised and we both hated the feeling of rat on a wheel of Type 2, and we didn't have the cards to really do Type 1. We played casually pretty much though.

I am interested in trying out all these new multiplayer formats that didn't really exist back then though.

And yeah, I'm mainly interested in doing MTGO, since I don't know that many offline players now, and it's nice being able to play whenever and not have to worry about sleeving and all that.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, back then I used to play 1.5 with my friend, mainly 'cause I had cards from Revised and we both hated the feeling of rat on a wheel of Type 2, and we didn't have the cards to really do Type 1. We played casually pretty much though.

I am interested in trying out all these new multiplayer formats that didn't really exist back then though.

And yeah, I'm mainly interested in doing MTGO, since I don't know that many offline players now, and it's nice being able to play whenever and not have to worry about sleeving and all that.

Just as an FYI, the current horribad client (Version 3) doesn't support many of the awesome paper multiplayer formats (like Planechase). It also has strange restrictions on mixing and matching the existing format types, for instance you can't do Two-Headed Giant + Commander, as Commander can only be played as 3 or 4 player free-for-all.

Hopefully that will change once the long-delayed Version 4 is released.

metaghost on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also if you're talking MTGO, there are plenty of bots that will give you tons of cards for free. Not great cards, but if you just want to mess around and have fun, you can do it pretty easily and get a taste.

Huxley on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is a silly deck

Venser x2

Myr Turbine x2
    Awakening Zone x4
    Xenograft x3
    Green Sun x2
    Marshal's Anthem x2

Myr Battlesphere x1
    Turntimber Ranger x1
    Sea Gate Loremaster x2
    Harabaz Druid x4
    Renegade Doppelganger x3
    Myr Galvanizer x4
    Wall of Omens x4
    Bala Ged Thief x4

Winky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I've got some prime real estate to sell you, down on Atlantis Boulevard.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I've got some prime real estate to sell you, down on Atlantis Boulevard.

Sold!

metaghost on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just as a general announcement to all dudes thinking about hopping in on some MTGO with the PA crew, I (and probably many of the other limited players on here) have an absurd abundance of commons/uncommons that I will happily distribute for free.

After that point, it's definitely better to ignore concepts of "starting a collection" and instead focus on a given format that you have the most interest in and finding some decklists to explore. The only real purpose of deep and exotic collections is so that you can build wacky EDH/Commander decks like Artful Dodger does.

I will gladly take you up on this offer. I need commons/uncommons for pretty much any set after Invasion Block/8th is where my crap seems to stop.

Also, I hate dickheads like the one below. I am still sitting here waiting for the clock to tick away out of spite now.
    lame.1309223027305937419712198506164502010010150.jpg

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I just took a gander at the Commander decks. I'm drooling over the new legendary cards, but I have pretty much all the other cards in those decks and I don't feel like spend $30 just to get the new legendary cards.

Oh, and fuck you MTGO for putting Eldrazi in those Commander decks. Eldrazi are absolutely horrible in Commander.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42