As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC - D&D4E] A Time to Kill - Explosive Sorcerer Flatulence

TerrendosTerrendos Decorative MonocleRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
This is the main thread for the short term 4e game I'll be running.

The Ensemble

Althea, Eladrin Swordmage - YesNoMu
Targotyll "Tarmygirl", Dwarf Bard - REG Rysk
Allece Myrmecia, Human Druid - Mordroth
Bresued, Halfling Sorcerer - Mithrandir86
Askwen, Githzerai Avenger - ironzerg

...and others....

Meeting time will be Monday or Tuesday at 8:30 PM EST. We'll be using PA's Vent Channel for OOC discussion. We'll be starting in another week or so. I have the first session's material completely done but I want a buffer in case I get sick or something.

Time Has Passed...

It has been two years since last you heard from Magister Reginald Berkley. Having each received your reward, you parted company to return to your own lives. Some of you returned to the front, battling Ark'veth soldiers for the freedom of the glorious empire. Others returned to their people to continue their training, preparing for the day that Fate might call upon them once more.

That day is today, the one hundred twenty third day of the Year of Engulfing Shadows.

Just like two years ago, you receive a letter marked with the Coda Veda, carried by an elite Imperial Guard and protected by powerful magical sigils. It reads:

"An audience is requested at the behest of the Imperator Cenaeus to investigate the disappearance of his High Wizard. You are to be in attendance on the one hundred thirty fourth day of this year. You will meet with the one in charge of the investigation at Magister Berkley's tower, where you met previously. Come alone.

Signed,

Elial Devoncy, Chief of the Secretariat for Imperator Cenaeus"

You have eleven days to return to the city of Carthusal and make your way back to the home of your old friend, Reginald Berkley. Whatever life you had been crafting for yourself you must now put on hold once more, for destiny has called. It would be impolite to turn him away at the door.

World Timeline:
all times in reference to the founding of the Elysian Imperium, Before Elysian Imperium (BEI) and Post Elysian Imperium (PEI)

~10000 years BEI: The Primordials are born of the Elemental Chaos.

~9000 years BEI: The Astral Sea is formed by unknown forces. The first Gods are born.

~8500 years BEI: The Gods unify for the first time. Using ancient and unknowable magics, they open a portal between the Astral Sea and the Elemental Chaos. The sea bleeds into the chaos and forms the world.

~8499 to ~7000 years BEI: The Primordials and Gods fight a war over ownership of the Material Plane. At the end of the war, an ancient superweapon is formed by the Gods that obliterates half the remaining Primordials and ends the war. The Primordials cede the Material Plane to the Gods, who take the plane and begin to shape it. The crater left by the superweapon becomes The Abyss and the evil, destructive magics it used create the first demons.

~5000 years BEI: The Gods finish their design upon the world and name it Solea, meaning "The Great Project." They create ancient, powerful spirits in charge of maintaining the world's balance. Then they depart for the heavens and their alliance begins to shatter.

~4000 years BEI: The Eladrin first appear on Solea, establishing colonies while keeping the majority of their land on the Feywild.

~3900 years BEI: Dwarves first appear on Solea. Created by Moradin, these beings are meant to be a complementary species to work with the Eladrin in peace.

~3500 years BEI: The Eladrin and Dwarven kingdoms begin a great and destructive war that lasts centuries. Pelor posits that a third species must be established to keep the balance between the two species.

~3000 years BEI: Humans arrive on Solea, formed by Pelor, Ioun, and the Raven Queen. The Raven Queen establishes the Shadowfell as her dominion and chooses to watch over the dead.

~3000 to ~1500 years BEI: This period is marked by the arrival of dozens of new species, made by different Gods for the purposes of demonstrating to their rivals what they consider to be ideal creations.

~1500 years BEI: Lolth's teachings corrupt a group of Eladrin, creating the Drow. Other Eladrin decide that arcane magic is not for them, and depart to live in the wild. The first Elves are born.

527 years BEI: The establishment of a universal language by the Humans allows widespread trade across much of the known world. This leads to a period of expansion and prosperity aided by an extended period of long summers and mild winters. The language spawns an alphabet and a written word, beginning the period of well-documented history.

245 years BEI: The long period of growth and prosperity ends. The plane enters a period of general cooling. Long, bitter winters cause widespread famine and result in more frequent wars.

15 years BEI: A group of Orc barbarians, tired of starving to death at the world's fringes, unite under a powerful chieftain known as Gur'don Greatdeath. He launches a massive campaign against the civilized tribes.

5 years BEI: As Greatdeath nears victory over the civilized world, the Humans turn to the Eladrin and Dwarves and propose an alliance. Led by a Human general Scipio Siensus, the united armies turn back the Orc's incursion.

0 PEI: The victorious armies under Scipio celebrate the death of Greatpain and the annihilation of his hordes. It is proposed that the wartime alliance be made permanent, and the Elysian Imperium is formed, and Scipio becomes its first elected Imperator.

25 years PEI: Scipio's death leads to the election of Magnus Stoneskin, a Dwarf, as second Imperator. He begins organizing an attack to eradicate the remaining threats to the Empire, most notably the remaining Orcs and the Goblins.

50 years PEI: The Drow offer the remaining Orcs and Goblins refuge, forming the Kingdom of Ark'veth in opposition to the Elysian Imperium. The new union is sufficient for the Eladrin to call for the war's end, and Stoneskin relents, ending the First Great War.

51-312 years PEI: The Elysian Imperium enjoys a period of relative peace despite the growing power of Ark'veth. The empire expands its boundaries and conquers local species, offering them protection and prosperity as part of the empire. Ark'veth does likewise.

337 years PEI: The Kingdom of Ark'veth breaks the delicate peace between the two superpowers, beginning the Second Great War for unknown reasons.

342 years PEI: The events of the last game take place.

344 years PEI: The events of the game "A Time to Kill" begin.

Copy-pasted background/race information from my previous campaign:
Dragonborn are effectively a powerful merchant group. They believe in honor, but more in the way of making a fair deal and a fair profit than fighting honorably.

Halflings, Goliaths, and Elves do not officially belong to the Imperium. They are considered friendly, but uncivilized. Expect to be treated like a backwater hick. Half-Elves are effectively granted dual citizenship; they're equally welcome in either the Imperium or within Elf culture.

Half-Orcs are effectively the remnants of the interactions between Ark'veth (whose citizens include Orcs) and the Imperium. Established treaties (that remain mostly intact despite the war) grant citizenship to the Imperium only if the Half-Orc's mother is Human and the bloodline contains no more than 50% Orc. If the baby is more than 50% Orc or the mother was an Orc, the child belongs to Ark'veth.

Tieflings still came from Bael Turath or whatever it's called, but Bael Turath was never destroyed; it was absorbed into the Imperium via conquest and assimilation. This is the typical modus operandi for the Elysian Imperium (as it was with the Romans, hint hint) of conquest and integration of neighboring tribes. This happened half a century prior, so there's still some animosity between Tieflings and the rest of the Imperium.

Orcs, Drow, and all forms of Goblins form the core of the Kingdom of Ark'veth. Among their followers are Minotaurs, Gnolls, Shadar-kai and all the other unsightly "evil" races from the MM and the rest. The exception are Dopplegangers/Changelings, which are spies hiring themselves out to both sides.

This is a short Maptools campaign. I'm expecting about 4-6 weeks of playtime, in the 10-12 encounters range.

Post your characters with Orokos or Mythweavers, please. In the post, please include a couple of sentences talking about what your character was doing for the last two years. If you're making a brand new character, include a paragraph or two of background, including how you know Magister Berkley.

Rules:

1. Level 5 characters, standard point buy. Starting items for higher level characters as normal, except replace the Level+1 with a Level+2 item. This is mostly because it'd be lame for everyone to have a +2 Magic Implement.

2. PHB1, PHB2, FRPG, EPG races allowed. Ask in the thread if you'd like more information about a race's origins. I'll handle PHB3 on a case-by-case basis. If you want to do a monster race, let me know, but I reserve the right to say no.

3. Background Traits: Everything but Scales of War allowed.

4. Classes: No exceptions.

5. Every character gets a single Expertise feat for free.

If you don't understand something or would like me to clarify or something, let me know.

Mission Objectives:

1. Locate and return Magister Berkley - COMPLETE

2. Re-stabilize the Timeline - COMPLETE (more or less)

3. Counteract the Temporal Resonance

Terrendos on

• Options
    MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do we have a list of confirmed character classes? I may be interested in switching to something else if we don't have a good blend.

Mordroth on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dwarf Bard, same guy.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All I've heard for sure is that Rysk wants to modify his Dwarf Bard a little.

EDIT: Curse you Rysk!

Terrendos on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I haven't been here in forever. I should post more!

Anyway, I liked Althaea, so I might well play her again. Shame about Enlarge Spell, though...

btw, nice avatar/sig combo, Terrendos. I just got up to speed on Homestuck myself, damn that's a good webcomic.

EDIT: Here's a first concept of how she looks now:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Althaea, level 5
    Eladrin, Swordmage
    Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Shielding
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
    Background: Birth - On Another Plane (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 15, Dex 11, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 24 Fort: 16 Reflex: 18 Will: 17
    HP: 55 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
    Religion +12, Arcana +16, Insight +8, Diplomacy +6, History +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +3, Bluff +1, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +7, Heal +3, Intimidate +1, Nature +3, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Streetwise +1, Thievery +3, Athletics +2

FEATS
    Level 1: Intelligent Blademaster
    Level 2: White Lotus Riposte
    Level 4: Rose King's Shield
    Feat User Choice: Versatile Expertise

POWERS
    Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
    Swordmage at-will 1: Booming Blade
    Swordmage encounter 1: Sword of Sigils
    Swordmage daily 1: Sweeping Frostblade
    Swordmage utility 2: Channeling Shield
    Swordmage encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex
    Swordmage daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Bottle of Wine, Footpads, Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Amulet of Life +1, Longsword of Arcane Bonds +1, Leather Armor of Aegis Expansion +2, Phylactery of Action (heroic tier)
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Okay guys, the sooner we get the rest of you with posted characters, the sooner we can get started. I'm thinking a week from Monday?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Allece will be again answering the call.

Mordroth on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    [Strike]I think I'm going to make a Monk.[/strike] I'm going to stick with Bresued, if everyone else is staying with their characters.

Are we playing tonight?

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Here's Althaea's Orokos sheet, by the way.

Over the last two years, I imagine her taking a more serious look at her life, and possibly enlisting as some type of arcane enforcer. She'd want to try to suppress and prevent the misuse of magic, partially inspired by what happened last time.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Still waiting on word from drswords, so no game tonight. If I haven't gotten word from him in the next couple of days we'll decide to replace him or just play with four.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bresued? Who knows what he was doing for the past three (3) years. He doesn't remember much of it himself, but he does seem to have a weird scar around his neck.

Also, body odor is now a problem.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay guys, I have heard no word from drswords, and he hasn't been on the PA forums in several weeks.

I'm going to put it to a group vote:

1. Keep waiting until we hear from him to start
    2. Replace him
    3. Play with 4 people, and rebalance encounters appropriately.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I vote a replacement, shouldn't be too hard to find

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I too vote for a replacement.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sounds good to me, too.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sounds good to me.

Just an FYI - Wedding is on the 31st and I'm super busy from now until then getting shit organized, so I may have to duck out of a few sessions.

Mordroth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have decided on ironzerg to be the newest member of the party. He should be posting his character in the thread soon.

Game on tomorrow night, people. Monday night, 8:30 PM EST.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sweet. See you guys then!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not entirely likely; if you need me to host the maptools session. I will be home for approximately 1.5 hours tomorrow from right before I head RIGHT BACK OUT to a hockey game.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man Rysk, your hockey is always getting in the way of our fun.

How is Tuesday for everyone?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm seeing an apartment tomorrow evening! I scheduled it for tomorrow because I was going to be busy for tonight. argh!

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Can Rysk leave his computer running when he goes to the hockey game?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He can't turn it on, I'm literally home long enough to eat, pack hockey gear, and leave.

This is because of my working some OT today as well, so it's from both ends.

That's what she said.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hmm... can everyone besides Mith make it on Tuesday?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As a side note, I'm pretty sure I could host the Maptools session as well, if you send me the campaign file. I've been running an online game for some IRL friends, so I've got port forwarding and stuff working.

Tuesday should be fine.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well then if everyone besides Rysk can make it tonight then I'll send the file to you. If not, we'll postpone until tomorrow.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Greetings everyone. I'll be filling out the party.

Let me introduce Askwen, Avenger of Ioun!

So we'll be going tonight (Monday) at 8:30 EST? Tomorrow night (Tuesday) works for me, as well.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Can make Tuesday...

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What version of Maptools should we have downloaded?

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ironzerg, Kay is making me bother you about God is Dead.

be bothered.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Build 63. We'll be using Ventrillo too, the PA Forums Server, so make sure you've got that information.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Should be ok - barring any wedding emergencies.

And believe me, there are a lot of those.

Mordroth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    YesNoMu and myself are on now, waiting for everyone else.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just logged into Vent. Do we have any server info for Maptools?

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Disappointing we didn't get to play last night, but I really appreciate all the help getting my token and macro's set up. I can't wait until next week.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wha happen?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sorry guys. I've got an email updater for this thread active, but it didn't send me any more messages after Rysk said he couldn't run the session. Sort of assumed that the session was postponed.

As for tonight, I gotta see an apartment.

Feel free to play without me.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    We'll be playing next week, Monday at 8:30 EST. Can everyone make it then?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As far as I know I should be good. The rest of my regular season games are on Sundays.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    We'll be playing next week, Monday at 8:30 EST. Can everyone make it then?

!ready

Mithrandir86 on