As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

elephant [chat]

• Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wow

issac brock just did an intro for flapjack

WAT

I need to check this out

Nocturne on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    hello homos

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I think the appeal of dungeon crawl games wears off right about the time I starve to death because there's absolutely no food to be found.

"Fuck you player, die at random" is an aspect of game design I'm not quite nostalgic for.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the appeal of dungeon crawl games wears off right about the time I starve to death because there's absolutely no food to be found.

"Fuck you player, die at random" is an aspect of game design I'm not quite nostalgic for.

Shoulda got more food?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Apolloh wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles is pretty great. Definitely worth checking out. I need to finish it one day! Been like 3/4 of the way through for god knows how long. But yeah, I think that, for the most part, the exclusive titles make it worth it. Also blu-ray is purdy.

If i had a PSTriple this would be a must buy game for me. Its an action RPG yeah?

it's an action rpg FPS rts

and it's awesome.

Man, I would not consider it a FPS in the slightest.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    man my mom sure does cry a lot

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I love Top Chef so much. It took them all of five minutes to set up the villain.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone interested in critiqing the ideas I'm ruminating on for an XNA game?

Sure.
    This is essentially a combination of a worker-placement board game (like Le Havre or Agricola) and a super lightweight city building game. Keep in mind that this is a one-man project in terms of scale. It is intended to be played with a normal Xbox 360 controller and distributed via Xbox Live Indie.

The main interface is a top-down 2D tilemap. The general art style is idealized European agrarian (something along the lines of Carcassone for Xbox Live). The scale of the map is 1 tile = 1 normal sized building (like a house or workshop). The game is turn based with 1 turn lasting one season (four turns to the year).

The game starts with the player choosing a site on the map for their initial manor house. This provides the bare minimum of resources from which the player expands during the course of the game. The most important such resource is labor. Any labor not allocated to a specific building is available each turn to spend on building new structures.

Buildings that produce raw materials can be built on the map based on the type of tile. EG: Woodcutters can be built on forest tiles, a quarry on a rock tile etc... Other buildings consume these raw materials to produce new kinds of goods. Several buildings might be chained together in such a fashion (eg: woodcutter -> sawmill -> furniture workshop -> manor house).

Each building needs to have laborers assigned to it in order to function. These workers are no longer available for building structures. Each building that produces goods has a destination assigned for where those goods are brought after being made. The longer the distance to the destination the less efficient the production will be in terms of labor and the more workers will need to be assigned to produce the same number of goods.

The player can use available labor to construct roads, paved roads, bridges and the like which effectively reduce the distance between buildings (walking over a road gives a smaller penalty than walking over open ground) and thus increase their productivity.

Some of the more costly buildings require more than just labor to build. They require certain goods to be delivered to a warehouse building prior to construction.

The eventual destination of goods, usually after several steps of refinement, are buildings that consume them for more abstract uses:

Houses that are supplied with certain kinds of goods make more labor available.
    Inventors Workshops generate research which unlocks more buildings and upgrades.
    The starting Manor House and other noble houses generate prestige when supplied with luxury goods.

The game has both a sandbox mode and pre-build scenarios with a certain challenge to be overcome (generate X prestige in Y turns, have a population of a certain amount, build a certain number of widgets in one turn etc...)

Sounds like a neat idea but almost more of a puzzle game than a simulation on the goal level, since the mechanics are so concrete. Like a Puzzle/Strategy game, but without any conflict. Or a more rules-heavy Dwarf Fortress.

What would you say is the "killer mechanic" that gets people hooked? If it's going to be the grind of resource collection and the growth of the city, you'll really need to work hard to keep the tech options interesting and gratifying, because the player is going to want to feel like each new level is comparatively effortless because of all the good work they put in (while, simultaneously, the actual difficulty increases, a tricky proposition!)

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Show her another cock.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Chop up your enemies and eat them!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Shoulda got more food?

From where?

The no stores anywhere?

The random monsters that drop random, inedible, poisoned meat?

Again, "Fuck you player, die at random" is a core aspect of the whole dungeon crawl genre, and I'd forgotten how irksome I find it.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy Shit what movie is this

The City of Lost Children. I've been listening to that main theme for days but I finally looked at the trailer

wtf

weird dystopian steampunk fairytale looking shit with Ron Perlman?

WTF how did I miss this

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    From where?

The no stores anywhere?

Again, "Fuck you player, die at random" is a core aspect of the whole dungeon crawl genre, and I'd forgotten how irksome I find it.

That sounds awful.

If you are going to give you player basically a timed mechanic for survival and the only way to refill that timer is based on random drops well...I have better ways to waste my time.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Shoulda got more food?

From where?

The no stores anywhere?

It cannot be worse than Nethack.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

tell her to do some pushups or something

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't like nethack/dungeonhack style games.

The problem mainly being I gain fulfillment from FINISHING something. Not "getting a little deeper this time".

If I can't win the game, normally, I have no emotional investment in it

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

tell her to do some pushups or something

tell her to stop being so gay.

would she think that was funny?

Ludious on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Holy Shit what movie is this

The City of Lost Children. I've been listening to that main theme for days but I finally looked at the trailer

wtf

weird dystopian steampunk fairytale looking shit with Ron Perlman?

WTF how did I miss this

Because the world is full of awesome films. Have fun watching!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The problem mainly being I gain fulfillment from FINISHING something. Not "getting a little deeper this time".

I would really like to make/see a game made that is just all about exploring the world in a dynamic, living environment.

I'm not sure what the end condition would be though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oh god, I'm listening to Kris Straub and Scott Kurtz talk about men being raped.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I would really like to make/see a game made that is just all about exploring the world in a dynamic, living environment.

I'm not sure what the end condition would be though.

Shadow of The Colossus comes close at times. It's really awesome, but very niche.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Roguelikes are awesome.

Earlier I starved to death because I put on a cursed ring of hunger!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The crime alerts on my campus are more like Shame Alerts.
    "The suspect walked up to the victim and demanded his wallet. The suspect did not appear to be armed.

Suspect description: White Male, 16-17 yrs old, 130 lbs, 5'7", black hooded sweatshirt, last seen {blah blah blah}

Hahahaha. I know this is an engineering school but come on! Don't just hand your wallet over to anyone!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    how is losing awesome?

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Shadow of The Colossus comes close at times. It's really awesome, but very niche.

I absolutely adored just riding around on Agro in SotC.

One of the best PS2 games ever made, hands down.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    The crime alerts on my campus are more like Shame Alerts.
    "The suspect walked up to the victim and demanded his wallet. The suspect did not appear to be armed.

Suspect description: White Male, 16-17 yrs old, 130 lbs, 5'7", black hooded sweatshirt, last seen {blah blah blah}

Hahahaha. I know this is an engineering school but come on! Don't just hand your wallet over to anyone!

Oh no, the unarmed 15 year old is gonna take my wallet!

Wouldn't you just like, push that kid over?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I also loved when the hud would drop away in SotC. That game was gorgeous.

I seriously had people walk into my dorm while I was playing and ask what I was watching.

And this was a fucking PS2 game!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    how is losing awesome?

Because the deaths are wild and usually different each time!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    how is losing awesome?

it's the DF mantra

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    It has hipster in it, but still cute.

091204-thecube-05.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Losing is fine for me, personally, if I felt like the losing was due to something I did wrong on my part.

This is why God Hand was great fun for me. I lost a lot of the time but when I lost it's because I did something wrong.

Losing to a RNG, which is what this game's starving mechanic sounds like, sounds like the antithesis of fun to me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel bad... i accidentally killed some mice because i put down an invisible plank instead of a real one >.<

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I am having a titanic struggle with myself over whether I should play the old version of Dwarf Fortress or the new version and whether I should use a tileset or play with ASCII graphics. I would prefer to learn the newest version with ASCII graphics but it would be really hard! I don't wanna lose cred by playing the easy way!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    I feel bad... i accidentally killed some mice because i put down an invisible plank instead of a real one >.<

Killing mice is 80% of the fun in Transformice.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    ugh i just picked up my guitar for the first time in forever

i've played for like 10 years and i feel like i've never played before

christ

Organichu on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ahh if i have my headphones on I can't even hear my family!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

I hate that it kills you after 30 seconds of not doing anything. Most of the time nothing happens for 30 seconds anyways.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

I hate that it kills you after 30 seconds of not doing anything. Most of the time nothing happens for 30 seconds anyways.

Wait, what? I've never had that happen.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.