As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is a now Crusader Kings Thread [OP Updated re: CK2]

• CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here is a short summary of my current game 80 years in:

I am Donnegal O'Brien, Duke of Munster in Ireland. My goal is to unify Ireland and become king. Everything proceeded as planned until Robert de Normandie, King of England, annexed the Duchy of Leinster, and the petty counts, not under my thumb or his, pledged allegiance to the King of Scotland. My solution? Marry my sons to their daughters and murder my way through the lines of succession. This led to a war of intrigue and assassinations that would make Richard III blush.

By the end of it, Donnegal had been excommunicated, lost all prestige and piety, and been branded a kinslayer. The vassals not linked by blood were ready to slit his throat at the first opportunity. But Donnegal's sons, one by Matilda Dunkeld, niece to Malcolm Dunkeld, King of Scotland, and one by Amburga de Normandie, daughter of Robert de Normandie, King of England and Wales, now sit on the respective thrones. But Donnegal O'Brien, maligned by the whole of Europe, remains only as the Duke of Munster, bankrupt in every sense of the word, his courtiers fleeing his cursed realm, attempting to hold his meager Duchy entire long enough for his infernal soul to depart from this mortal plane. But now even Death refuses to haunt his court of the damned.

Cheezy on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to unite Ireland too. I began as Tir Connail, and I have Duke of Munster and Mearth titles. Strangely, everything now costs 10 x as much prestige to claim than it did when I started. I don't ever see me being able to get the thousands of prestige it would take to do.

MindLib on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's pretty simple, just hit F12, type "prestige", hit enter. Bam, 1000 prestige.

Sir Carcass on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MindLib wrote: »
    I'm trying to unite Ireland too. I began as Tir Connail, and I have Duke of Munster and Mearth titles. Strangely, everything now costs 10 x as much prestige to claim than it did when I started. I don't ever see me being able to get the thousands of prestige it would take to do.

Go beat up some Muslims.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    spiderj24 on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's another useful post:

If you're creating your own dynasty, don't set the head and his wife both from it. That actually means they're blood related, and you'll have inbred children. Set the wife as a different dynasty, or just create a second one for her.

I may have found this out the hard way.

Sir Carcass on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's another useful post:

If you're creating your own dynasty, don't set the head and his wife both from it. That actually means they're blood related, and you'll have inbred children. Set the wife as a different dynasty, or just create a second one for her.

I may have found this out the hard way.

I picked a dynasty that was set for inbreeding, but only one child was broken, and she was a girl anyway so who cares. I later made her a countess because I needed some blindly loyal chumps at my back.

TheOtherHorseman on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it seems random if they'll get the trait or not, but I've had more get it than not. I should probably just power through, though, since my dynasty name is Targaryen.

Sir Carcass on
  • LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I must admit I never got very far in CK, it seemed to take forever for things to happen and whoever my liege was kept taking my troops away on Crusade! :(

Leinna on
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there any manual or something for Crusader Kings? I got it,but i have no clue what to do

AdditionalPylons on
    edited July 2010
    There should be a manual.

One mistake people new to CK make (I did too) is you have to be selective on who you attack. In games like the Total War series, you just attack your neighbor and repeat, but if you start as a Count or Duke, your neighbor is most likely also a vassal of your liege. You will need land and vassals to increase your power, though.

There are a few things you can do. You can attack a neighboring kingdom. Just be sure they aren't an ally of your liege. Usually in this case, your liege will also declare war on the kingdom, giving you some backup, but that's not always the case.

You can also wait for vassals to declare independence and swoop in and capture them. This is slow, but it does happen.

Another option is to go attack muslims or pagans. The problems with this, though, is they're usually far away, making logistics a problem (attrition sucks), and they'll also be hard to defend. Muslims tend to have intricate alliances as well.

But generally, the acquisition of land will go like this: Get claim on county or counties. This is done by using prestige to grab the title, already having a claim, or getting one through an event. Once you have a claim on their land, you can declare war. You fight the war and then sue for peace. This is where you negotiate the terms of the peace. White peace means things go back to how they were before the war. You can also have them install you as count, recognize your claim on other titles they have, and/or even force them to become your vassal. You can also get or give money.

The way these things are decided is through the Warscore. Every battle you win or county you capture counts towards yours, and every battle you lose or county you lose counts against it. Each item you choose to press, title recognition, etc, has a Warscore amount associated with it. Think of it like a currency. You win a bunch of battles and capture all their land, and your Warscore is something like 250. All of the things you may want out of the peace may total to 125, or may total to 300. You just have to be sure that what you want is under your total Warscore, and they'll be likely to accept. Bam, your demense is now larger.

Just keep in mind that grabbing titles, forcing claims, and declaring war all count towards your Badboy rating, which affects your reputation.

Also, troops are handled differently than other games. You don't build them or anything. Each county can raise a certain number of troops, and they'll do so automatically. The total number they can raise depends on the county's income. How fast they fill up to that amount depends on certain other factors. You can activate troops from counties you directly control with no penalty. You can also activate your vassals troops to control directly (kind of the point of having a vassal), but if you do it too often, they'll start to become disloyal and could even leave you.

You also can only directly control only so many counties before you start losing income from your demense being too big. Your stewardship (or maybe it's intrigue) helps increase that number, and each level of title (count, duke, king) has a multiplier, so you can directly control more as King than as a Count. So as you grow, you're pretty much going to have to give titles away to create vassals. You can always demand them back, at a loyalty loss.

Sir Carcass on
    edited July 2010
    Stewardship directly influences income, Intrigue is what gets you your demesne limit. It's one of the reasons I miss my dearly departed king. His intrigue was so high he probably could have assassinated the Pope with a wink from a continent away.

TheOtherHorseman on
    edited July 2010
    I finally united Ireland. Now I'm putting my sights on Wales. It's still pretty fractured, even in 1179.

MindLib on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CK is about dynasties, so be sure to have sons to pass on your fortunes to. You play the head of your House, so the game is over once there's nobody left in the house with a title.

Some traits give you a better chance at having children (e.g. Lustful).

Also, check your inheritance rules, so that you can possibly plan your succession.

Pause the game with the "Pause/Break" button, or simply click on the Date on the top left corner. (Took me AGES to discover that)

Once you become a Duke (or King), you will probably have counts (and Dukes) as subjects. These lords have a loyalty score that varies depending on your reputation, how well your traits complement each other, and scrutage.

- You take reputation hits when you claim a title, claim a title on a faction you're already at war with, or declare war only after you army has arrived at the enemy's land. There are other ways, like trying to revoke a subject's current titles. Reputation recovers on a factor based on your Piety. Losing claims in a peace treaty recovers your reputation as well.

- There's really nothing much you an do to improve your traits-compatability. Having a high Diplomacy skill can sooth out some of the rough edges though. Subjects with "Rebellious" trait will often have events trigger for them to lose more loyalty. They should be watched.

- Scrutage can be controlled on your taxes/revenue menu. Some players favour dropping Scurtage to zero where possible. You make less income, but low scrutage adds to the monthly loyalty gained by subjects. A low scrutage also means subjects have more money to invest in their realms.

Subject loyalty is crucial, as rebellions can give you the "Realm Duress" trait which decreases the money you make and increases the chance for more rebellions.

Reboot on
    edited July 2010
    Here's a brief breakdown on character stats:

Martial - this affects how well the army the character is leading fights. It is less important for a King, who can rely on others to lead the army for him. It is more important for a Count or Duke, where he may need to lead the army himself. There is a chance that characters on the battlefield be grievously wounded, which is often fatal.

Diplomacy - affects the loyalty of your subjects, and successful outcome of diplomatic attempts - though for the latter I personally found little evidence of it. Reputation may play a bigger factor.

Intrigue - affects how many territories you can control directly before it becomes inefficient (i.e. when overall revenue collection will be affected), and successful outcome of assassination attempts.

Stewardship - affects how much "baseline" money you collect per territory.

Some players emphasize on a high Intrigue score for their character. I personally favour Diplomacy first with Intrigue coming a close second.

Reboot on
    edited July 2010
    As someone who only started playing this week, I've found the game surprisingly easy to pick up. Here's the advice I'd give:

1) Start as a count. Things move slowly but there's less chance of information overload.

2) Speaking of information overload - it's easy to get bogged down by the sheer amount of stuff going on. Only concentrate on local events at first and check on the state of the world at large every once in a while.

3) The British isles are a good place for a first game, I reckon. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with the actual history, but the situation there makes more sense to me. Plus, there aren't an overwhelming amount of territories to keep track of. And, perhaps most importantly, Ireland, Wales and Scotland all have independent counties and duchies that allow early expansion.

4) Don't be tempted to quit when disaster strikes. A lot of the entertainment factor is in loss and recovery, and simply seeing how history unfolds. Setbacks are an inevitable part of that.

In my current game, I took the humble Count of Warwick to a greater destiny as an independent duke with a claim on half of Wales. However, before I had enough territory to crown him King of Wales, a dastardly Irishman with a claim on several of my Welsh titles invaded and I was forced to pledge my allegiance back to William the Conqueror, King of England, in order to get military aid.

He came to my rescue but left me with a single county, carving up the 'liberated' territories to his favourites. A minor uprising against the king gave me the opportunity to take two territories back.

Then William died and the new king (whose name escapes me) raised every army in England to go crusading in Jerusalem. Which left every duke and count in the country in massive amounts of debt, causing several to rebel and take up arms against the king. He quashed the revolt easily and now owns the entire south and east of England in his personal demense. He isn't giving out any titles!

Time for me to get friendly with the Scots, who have unified under one King, and see if I can't cause a ruckus.

spiderj24 on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tried playing this, unfortunately, I couldn't get over the UI and strange ways of having to right click on certain areas to do certain things. If it was a little more user friendly, it would be awesome.

precisionk on
    edited July 2010
    spiderj24 wrote: »
    Then William died and the new king (whose name escapes me) raised every army in England to go crusading in Jerusalem. Which left every duke and count in the country in massive amounts of debt, causing several to rebel and take up arms against the king. He quashed the revolt easily and now owns the entire south and east of England in his personal demense. He isn't giving out any titles!

Time for me to get friendly with the Scots, who have unified under one King, and see if I can't cause a ruckus.

I just finished conquering England as Count of York. I was a vassal of the Duke of Northumberland and he rebelled right at the beginning. I then attacked his other vassal (Durham), and immediately offered to be a vassal of William. He agreed, and I then conquered Durham and Westmoreland. Later, Derby rebelled so I conquered them too, then Northhampton. I then invaded Wales and eventually conquered all of that, taking one of the duke titles (I wanted England to be my first King title). After that I waited a while for things to calm down. Kent rebelled, I offered them vassalization, and they accepted.

Eventually William went to war with some little county in Africa and sent most of his troops, so I figured it was a good time to strike. I declared war on him but strangely enough none of his vassals countered. He gave up all of his English count titles accept for Essex and had the rest of his demense in Normandy, so the only county in England I could actually occupy was Essex. I did so and then tried to figure out what to do next. I eventually decided to just start carving up his kingdom, so I would grab a count title, declare war, capture their city, then offer them the count title back if they'd be my vassal. After doing enough of that, I was able to get William to give me the king title if I let him keep all of his counties, his 2 duke titles, made him my vassal, and gave him one of my Welsh duke titles. After that, England was mine.

There was that little episode with the Duke of Oxford rebelling afterwards, but I convinced him the error of his ways quick enough.

Sir Carcass on
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Going with a count or duke in Scotland or England is an easy way to get territory early. Just set your eyes on Ireland, as most of the counties there are not tied strongly to anyone else, making them easy pickings. I eventually get the entire island under my control, giving me a nice pool of troops to work towards bigger things.

Metallikat on
    edited July 2010
    The head of my dynasty, scarred by 15 years of war, is now the head of the most powerful duchy in the Kingdom of Scotland.

There were sporadic outbreaks of rebellion against the King of England and I bided my time until I could raise a giant army, and then threw in with the rebels and started a full blown civil war. We weren't powerful enough to actually win but then I made a huge gamble and pledged my allegiance to the King of Scotland. An agonising wait of two weeks or so and then I was accepted.

And around 25,000 angry Scots arrived shortly afterwards. The current King of England is a three year old who saw his entire line slain on the battlefields of Bedford and Essex. Scotland now covers half of Ireland (all mine), all of Wales (mine), the formerly Norman territories in France and a good few ex-English counties. Oh, and all of Scotland and its islands.

The next stage of my plan is to take control of the rest of Ireland and then, when the time is right, declare my Duke King of Ireland and Wales.

spiderj24 on
  • NineNine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of my favorite starting counties is Vermandois. Which in the 1066 scenario is controlled by the last (to my knowledge) members of the Carolingian dynasty. Resurrecting Charlemagne's empire is a good goal to shoot for.

Nine on
    edited July 2010
    4) Don't be tempted to quit when disaster strikes. A lot of the entertainment factor is in loss and recovery, and simply seeing how history unfolds. Setbacks are an inevitable part of that.

Yup. I once had a King with 2 sons - the elder son is excommunicated (i.e. can't inherit), depressed, and doesn't have a son to pass on the title to. The younger son is schizophrenic, and has killed both his son and daughter in a fit of madness. Eventually I had to pay an assassin to kill the younger son once another son is born to him (so inheritance is secured), and my elder son committed suicide.

o_O I can only imagine the torment my King character goes through, if he had to actually live with that.

--

In another game my conquest of Scotland was cut short when my King got excommunicated and then badly wounded in battle in the same month. He eventually died from pneumonia brought on from his wounds, excommunicated and in a foreign land.

Stuff like this are epic roleplaying fodder. :)

Reboot on
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I so want to get into this game properly, but every time I try I load up the game, stare at the interface in completely bafflement for a few minutes, spend a few more minutes trying to work out how to do *anything*, and then give up. I think I need to read the manual :)

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Stuff like this are epic roleplaying fodder.

For me, much like Dwarf Fortress, CK is more fun to read about/tell stories about than it is to play. The story of how I assassinated the entire Sicilian dynasty except for one random niece my heir happened to be married to? Awesome. Actually doing that? Kind of tedious.

It's largely an interface problem, in both cases.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2010
    Nine wrote: »
    One of my favorite starting counties is Vermandois. Which in the 1066 scenario is controlled by the last (to my knowledge) members of the Carolingian dynasty. Resurrecting Charlemagne's empire is a good goal to shoot for.

Nice, any more like this?

MindLib on
    edited July 2010
    MindLib wrote: »
    Nine wrote: »

Nice, any more like this?

The game's 1st scenario starts at Christmas 1066, when William became King of the English. He replaced the nobility with Norman loyals except for the northernmost ones, which remained under Saxon control. One of the most common "Let's Play" (called AAR's in the Paradox Forums) is with restoring the Saxon monarchy.

1066 also saw the Christians holding on to a minority of Iberia. It's a classic challenge to complete the Reconquista because the Moors can be very powerful early in the game.

Another common starting point I notice is to start in Scandinavia and unite the viking kingdoms, and bringing Christianity to Finland as well.

:lol: The more strange one I've seen on the paradox forums is someone starting the game as Othodox Nubia, surrounded by Muslim nations.

Reboot on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Duchy of Apulia in 1066 is probably the easiest starting locale. All you need to look out for is the female ruler of a neighboring territory (Spoletto, I think), who often becomes the Papal controller and may excommunicate you. Otherwise you have quick access to Sicily (and a king title) and a bunch of expansion into Africa and the holy land. Otherwise you can use whatever method of intrigue you prefer to capture the southern half of the Italian peninsula.

De Hauteville was a Norman lineage (and your culture will be Norman Catholic at first), so you won't really be able to spread your culture overseas unless you wed your sons to Italian (or possibly Greek) wives and hope for Italian Catholic (or Greek Catholic/Greek Orthodox) progeny.

You can play as one of the first recognized Hohenzollern ancestors as the County of Schwaben. This is the lineage that eventually became the duchy of Brandenburg (EU) and the Kingdom of Prussia (Victoria) and then the Empire of Germany (also Victoria, but hypothetically HOI (Friedrich Wilhelm II is defined as a viable leader of Germany)) and then lost all power in Germany in 1918, but still exists (an alternate branch ruled Romania until 1947). Since the Kingdom of Germany (Holy Roman Empire) usually degenerates pretty signifcantly, there's a good chance you could easily follow in the line's historic footsteps.

Technically you should be Friedrich von Zollern (they were the counts of Zollern, not Swabia/Schwaben and the name didn't become Hohenzollern until 1218)...but then no one would recognize it.

President Rex on
    edited July 2010
    Updated OP.

Sir Carcass on
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I tried to play this after reading the kingdom of Jerusalem LP, but i must say i preferred reading over playing. In my first game i tried to unite Norway as the baron(?) of Sør-Trøndelag. However i only got one son, and he went ahead and comitted suicide the year before his father died. Then i tried to unite Ireland, and it was going well, untill ALL my sons suddenly rebelled against me AND declared allegiance to the english king.. After all i did for them that was the gratitude they showed me? hmp.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it sucks when family members rebel against you. I mean, it's realistic, but with the dynasty based gameplay it seems like your direct family members should be on your side.

A couple of other neat things I just found out about:

To find a county, hit ? and type in the name of it. It'll zoom your view to it.

To see a list of potential brides, go to your Ledger. It's one of the small buttons in the lower left part of the screen, near the mini-map. In there, click to the next page until you see the one for brides.

Sir Carcass on
    edited July 2010
    One of my favorite things about this game is the text on the buttons for choices to events. Like when you have a falling out with your wife, "I hate you too, honey" or when alchemists say they think they can make gold with a bit more research, "Wow, I can hardly wait!" I don't know, I just find them funny.

Sir Carcass on
    edited July 2010
    In a perfect world, our sons wouldn't rebel against us. Of course, in a perfect world I wouldn't have just murdered my nephew so I stand to inherit my elderly brother's county, and I wouldn't have murdered his queen's only son so that he is next in line for the throne (with me jogging merrily behind). Sure beats the snot out of trying to conquer Irish provinces before my fuck of a king can declare peace.

TheOtherHorseman on
    edited July 2010
    I can totally understand the people more interested in reading than playing, but I would say try treating the game as an unfolding alternate history. Observe and enjoy. And then start to tinker with the story. It quickly becomes compulsive inserting your own dynasty into the story, even if you're not the lead characters. For me, it's a game that actively encourages roleplaying as much as anything else.

And for those who feel their actions don't have a grand effect on the world - if you have a liege (a powerful king, say the king of England or France) try starting a couple of wars for titles you have claims on. Observe as the entire country rallies behind you and shit goes down.

To see a list of potential brides, go to your Ledger. It's one of the small buttons in the lower left part of the
    screen, near the mini-map. In there, click to the next page until you see the one for brides.

Just to add to this, you can sort the brides by clicking on the header of each column. It's useful to sort by culture to find brides in your dynasty's vicinity, or by age just to find a fresh young thing.

spiderj24 on
  • breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And for those who feel their actions don't have a grand effect on the world - if you have a liege (a powerful king, say the king of England or France) try starting a couple of wars for titles you have claims on. Observe as the entire country rallies behind you and shit goes down.

I've been trying to grab just a few counties by declaring war but my king comes in and just grabs all the land for himself. not sure how I'm supposed to expand when this happens.

breton-brawler on
    edited July 2010

I've been trying to grab just a few counties by declaring war but my king comes in and just grabs all the land for himself. not sure how I'm supposed to expand when this happens.

I'm sure there are nuances to this that I'm missing but the best advice is this. Claiming a title is all about the war score, which builds up when you win battles but mostly when you successfully lay siege to territories. If a count has a single territory and you have a claim to his title, run down the siege bar by occupying the land when there are no defenders and you will be in control of that territory.

Then, pause the game, and sue for peace with that count. Demand that he give you his title in exchange for peace and he will accept immediately, giving you his title.

If you delay, the king will probably claim the title for himself (if he actually HAS a claim on it, if not you should be safe). The thing to remember is that occupying a territory does not give it to you, it is granted to you as part of a peace treaty.

You may already know all this and are just faced with a very greedy king.

spiderj24 on
  • breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ahhh That must be it I was suing for peace, but I must have been too slow, also the king had laid a claim on myself, I wonder if that would allow him to confiscate certain territories...

I am brand new and trying to get ahng of the ropes here.

breton-brawler on
    edited July 2010
    Alternately, if you're a higher rank, vassalize him and give up your claim to the title. Which is significantly better for your badboy score. Plus if he rebels from his (new) rightful liege you'll just get the claim back anyway.

enlightenedbum on
  • The CrowThe Crow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So this game looks pretty cool. Am I right in assuming that it's basically the Total War series, but substituting the real-time battles for deeper politics/intrigue?

Also, is the Deus Vult expansion worth getting off the bat for a new player, or will I be overwhelmed enough with just the base game?

The Crow on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good rule of thumb with any Paradox game is if there is an expansion, get it. They generally make things better and expand (gasp!) on the actual gameplay or timeline. Plus bugfixes, lots and lots of bugfixes. :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited July 2010
    I'd follow the installation order in the first post here:

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325865

Expansions and mods are all part of the joy of Paradox games As Axen said, they are good technical support as much as anything else.

It's very important to get that latest patch as well, as mentioned in that post. You can find that here:

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347603

Might seem like a pain in the ass to install stuff before you start playing but with those links, it'll take a matter of minutes to download and get going!

And, yes, the game is reminiscent of Total War, but with the emphasis on politics and characters. I'd add that if you are interested in the period, or history in general, it's worth fighting past the UI. I really don't find it that troublesome, but some people clearly do - I think I got lucky just clicking around and figuring things out.

There's a bunch of hints and tips through this thread but if anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer - I'm exactly the kind of gamer who will give up on a game if it feels more trouble than it's worth. This is not that game, even if it may seem so at first.

spiderj24 on