As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Red Dead Redemption] Free Myths & Legends DLC out 9/13.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, the Undead Nightmare challenge where you have to kill two undead with a retcher explosion.

Is it bugged sometimes, or what? I swear I've had at least two undead get killed by it. I've done it while saving a town, I've done it outside of a town. I've even done the trick where you hogtie a big mess of undead, put them in a pile, and then shoot the retcher. Had every kind of undead in there at once. But I just don't get it. Is there some kind of trick I'm missing? I'm on the 360, BTW.
    Just keep trying I guess, you've got the right technique by lassoing them like that.
    It's unfortunately quite fickle/random over whether it'll award you completion or not.

Yeah, I finally got it a while back.

So I finished Undead Nightmare. I was prepared for all kinds of crazy crap.
    But I wasn't prepared for the surf rock. Loved it, though.

So, after you become a zombie, there's nothing else you can do to trigger the credits? I was hoping to finally blast Seth's ass.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Finished RDR tonight. I was kind of underwhelmed with spending an hour herding cattle, but whatever.

The Jamie Lidell song came out of nowhere towards the end and floored me. <3

Overall it was good, though the story dragged in parts and a lot of the missions were ridiculous. The mechanics of the game were great, but they really flubbed what they did with it. Cross-country fetch quests with fast-travel disabled can die in a fire.

I hopped online, and the very first event I came upon told me I'd need to purchase additional content to gain any experience from doing it.

Yeah.. nope, just lost my interest completely.

adytum on
  • Options
    melindamonstermelindamonster Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm actually really itching to play multiplayer. I know I'm late to the RDR party and i'm only about halfway done with single player, but I'd love to just free roam and do missions. If anyone is interested in playing with me (I don't have a mic, but skype works all the same) please add me! My PSN is the same as my forum name!

melindamonster on
    PSN and League IGN: melindamonster
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The multiplayer is pretty good, but I can understand being put off if the first place you headed to turned out to be DLC content. You can actually tell if it's DLC or not by looking at its icon; if it's a bit dimmer than the other icons, don't bother with it.

I'd play with either of you guys, but I've only got it on the Xbox. Be sure to look into the co-op campaigns because they're a lot of fun. In the Xbox version I had to download them, but they were free.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think I'm going to hold onto Red Dead through Sunday, so Melinda (or whoever!) if you want to get some MP on let me know.

adytum on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    I hopped online, and the very first event I came upon told me I'd need to purchase additional content to gain any experience from doing it.

That's too bad, because from what I can tell, probably 75% of multiplayer content is available for free (beyond the purchase of the game, of course). More hideouts than not are doable without paid DLC, same with most the competitive game modes, and the coop missions are all free. Granted, you'll need to go out to the store and download some of this stuff, but only two of the DLC packs -- besides Undead Nightmare -- cost anything.

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh, what's the point of the checkpoints in the coop missions? I was doing the one where you rescue the girl from Fort Mercer, and when we got to the point where we get in the stagecoach and have to escape to some town, the driver managed to wreck the stagecoach shortly after leaving the fort. When it restarted us, we were back at the very start of the mission, outside the fort. That doesn't seem very checkpointy to me.

forty on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When you hit a checkpoint, all dead players re-spawn. Though if you all die, its back to the very beginning.

Here's my multiplayer question - Is there any way to do the hideout co-op stuff (not the six proper missions) without aimlessly trying to find people on the free roam map to do it with? I don't own a mic so thats pretty much impossible for me.

All the gang listings on the multiplayer menu just took me to versus matches.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    forty wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »

That's too bad, because from what I can tell, probably 75% of multiplayer content is available for free (beyond the purchase of the game, of course). More hideouts than not are doable without paid DLC, same with most the competitive game modes, and the coop missions are all free. Granted, you'll need to go out to the store and download some of this stuff, but only two of the DLC packs -- besides Undead Nightmare -- cost anything.

I do not make it a habit to check the PSN store for DLC goodies since I don't really do paid DLC. I'll take a look this evening.

Like I said upthread, I'll give the online another shot this weekend.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I could have sworn you can choose co-op from the multiplayer menu and it dumps you into a random lobby for a co-op game.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    I could have sworn you can choose co-op from the multiplayer menu and it dumps you into a random lobby for a co-op game.
    That's not what he wants, though. He doesn't want to do the Outlaws to the End coop missions. He wants to do the free roam gang hideouts cooperatively with other players.

I couldn't find an in-game mechanism for setting that up, NN. At best you can just try to invite people who seem to be doing hideouts to a posse (or opt to join theirs if they've already got one) and just head to them and see if it sticks.

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    When you hit a checkpoint, all dead players re-spawn. Though if you all die, its back to the very beginning.
    Oh, well that explains it. That kind of sucks for instant-lose mechanics like a stagecoach fail.

Also, I think I could have done without the cattle herding mini-game working its way into a coop mission. On that note, is there a way to pick which coop mission(s) you do? My friend and I were in a posse and I just selected the coop mode thing, and it dumped us into a lobby with two randoms and seemed to have already chosen a mission for us. We did a couple in sequence with the same group before he had to go, so I quit after that as well. If I/we do coop again, do we start back at the first coop mission? Or how does that work? Can I ever just avoid/skip a mission if I find I don't like it?

forty on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just saw this, it's apparently from two weeks ago:

http://www.rockstarwatch.net/news/1113/Free-Red-Dead-Redemption-DLC-incoming/
    As a token of appreciation for their fans, Rockstar will be releasing a brand new DLC pack for Red Dead Redemption for the low price of free. The pack includes playable fan-demanded multiplayer characters as well as new rounds for Deathmatch, Grab the Bag, Gang matches and other online modes. No word as of yet when the DLC pack will be releasing.

Kind of a bummer it doesn't seem to be adding any single player content, though. I wouldn't have minded running around and doing some new challenges to unlock some new outfits or something.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Multiplayer with a friend is such a blast. I've decided there's one major design flaw with the online mode, though: challenges do not give nearly enough XP. The various challenges and milestones in online play should be a lot more rewarding than they are now. It's rather unfortunate that just grinding hideouts is by far the best way to progress your character.

I equate it to the pre-WoW Dark Ages of MMOs, with the challenges being like quests. Before WoW, quests were generally a large time investment for little reward compared to just grinding the same mobs over and over for XP.

It's not like they're repeatable, anyway. There's a hard limit to how much you could get from them, so why not make it feel rewarding to go kill 5 cougars vs. shooting up the gang in Solomon's folly for the 50th time?

forty on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    N5SH2.jpg

Oh man, this cabin. You have to beg and plead other players to rescue you if that happens. :lol:

LOL, that's awesome! I know exactly which cabin you're talking about.
    "The management of Cougar Cabin hopes you had a pleasant stay. Please tell all your friends!"

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    how in the shit am I supposed to jump on this moving train for the mission in mexico?

[edit] nevermind I finally saw the prompt seconds after I posted this of course.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    how in the shit am I supposed to jump on this moving train for the mission in mexico?

Ride up alongside it on a horse, then press the correct button when prompted, I believe. If it's the one I'm thinking of anyway.

(I forgot the button)

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yeah I guess I just wasn't getting close to the right part before, haha. Thanks!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Finally found a few decent people to play Co-op online with and had a blast. Did all six of the missions, saw all of them through to completion.

Good lord, that one mission with the rain and the cannonballs and the hordes of enemies... that was pretty much the most fun I've had online since the original L4D. I particularly loved it when my team grabbed the high ground and started blasting cannons but we couldn't find a pocket of enemies. So I magnificently ran back down the mountain and single handedly took down about ten enemies while my partner's explosions are flying through my speakers.

Jesus, why are their only six co-op missions? Really, really wish there was a way to do the gang hideout missions from a menu too. Kinda sucks that everything else is a generic deathmatch or objective matchs.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Heads up, apparently its a Triple XP weekend or something.
    A couple of hide outs, and taking down a most wanted player netted me from 1 to 10 in about 2 hours.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    Heads up, apparently its a Triple XP weekend or something.
    A couple of hide outs, and taking down a most wanted player netted me from 1 to 10 in about 2 hours.

Of course they'd do this the first weekend after Trenched is out. Is it definitely a triple XP weekend, or is it just one day? I've seen them have Friday-only 3x XP days before.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    On twitter they said it was going to be 3 hours starting at 4PM EST yesterday. I know late last night though it was still 3x XP. I did a handful of hideouts and made a few ranks.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll be able to tell you in about 9-10 hours when I'm off work.
    Somebody said that there was an Undead event this weekend though. Maybe it's connected?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I got to play online some Friday. That should be the rate that XP always comes at. Or at least for the challenges. :(

forty on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It currently is a QUADRUPLE XP WEEKEND.

I still need the achievements for being in a posse, getting a big posse score and getting a big solo score in freeroam.

Who wants to posse up with me tonight and play cowboys and zombie cowboys?

Gamertag: MXrox

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ugh, of course it would be. I'm not going to be near my 360 this weekend.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    It currently is a QUADRUPLE XP WEEKEND.

I still need the achievements for being in a posse, getting a big posse score and getting a big solo score in freeroam.

Who wants to posse up with me tonight and play cowboys and zombie cowboys?

Gamertag: MXrox
    Saturday dude, I'm all over this like a 'splode.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll be all over this as well. Gonna hunt bandits allllll weekend long.

I somehow lost my multiplayer character during the PSN outage. I got reset to level 1. I was 39. So I'm gonna use this weekend to hopefully catch up and pass where I was. I'm only missing 1 trophy for my platinum, and that's to hit level 50. That's my goal for this weekend.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    yeah! pumped on 4x XPzzzz

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    been a while since I've played, but QUAD DAMAGE! oh xp I mean. still have the Zombie DLC to play. tempting. Already got troublebrewing and mxmarks on the friends list. May hop on with some of you guys

gamer tag : Mad Eye Moody

gonna be silent though - baby sleeping prevents me from YeeeeeeeeeHAWing like a cowboy

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    Ugh, of course it would be. I'm not going to be near my PS3 this weekend.

forty on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    been a while since I've played, but QUAD DAMAGE! oh xp I mean. still have the Zombie DLC to play. tempting. Already got troublebrewing and mxmarks on the friends list. May hop on with some of you guys

gamer tag : Mad Eye Moody

gonna be silent though - baby sleeping prevents me from YeeeeeeeeeHAWing like a cowboy

Red Dead is one of the few games that I usually play silently, and dont care if others play silently.

The game just works silently.

You're on a lone, dusty trail. You spot an encampment up ahead, swarming with Rebeldes. Across the way, galloping towards you, you see another person. Are they going to shoot at you? The horse they're on slows, as they pull up along side. Clearly this is a friend.

And in total silence, you exchange a nod, and dismount, ready to do what needs to be done.

When the smoke clears, maybe you'll ride together for awhile, bringing sweet justice to the land. Or maybe you'll part ways, with a mutual respect.

Epic badassery.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I've decided to lug my 360 up to my fiancee's this weekend. Too bad she only has an SD TV. I probably won't get to play RDR much, but there's always a chance.

SteevL on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My home internet sucks, so I can't really play multiplayer this weekend.

However, I discovered that if you're signed into live and load up a single player game, you'll get the message about 4x XP, and then if you switch over to System Link mode you get the 4x XP while soloing it even if you get disconnected from Live. Soloing Pike's Basin is around 7-8k XP right now.

Lars on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Son of a bitch. I've been hoping for a xp weekend for so long to do a lot of the multi achievements. Figures a really good one happens when im out of town for a week. Man I hope they have smiths again this summer. Maybe whenever they release whatever he fan dlc is.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »

Red Dead is one of the few games that I usually play silently, and dont care if others play silently.

The game just works silently.

You're on a lone, dusty trail. You spot an encampment up ahead, swarming with Rebeldes. Across the way, galloping towards you, you see another person. Are they going to shoot at you? The horse they're on slows, as they pull up along side. Clearly this is a friend.

And in total silence, you exchange a nod, and dismount, ready to do what needs to be done.

When the smoke clears, maybe you'll ride together for awhile, bringing sweet justice to the land. Or maybe you'll part ways, with a mutual respect.

Epic badassery.

So true man, so true. You summed it up perfectly!

Hopping on right now to get some of this quad XP action.

Vee on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I picked the game up today for the weekend and jumped into free roam when I put it it.
    Then I was clueless...how do you earn XP faster? I shot some guys and birds and shot up most of a bandit camp and got a few, but that was about it.

I'll probably hop on for a bit tomorrow morning (PST) if someone wants to posse and shoot things. I'm made my dude one of the marshals, and he looks awesome.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I picked the game up today for the weekend and jumped into free roam when I put it it.
    Then I was clueless...how do you earn XP faster? I shot some guys and birds and shot up most of a bandit camp and got a few, but that was about it.

Ok so for example, you normally get 10xp for killing another player in free roam, but for the quadruple XP weekend you earn 40xp.

Just go around to every gang hideout and clear it. Don't just shoot some guys and then leave, you need to finish it. You'll earn tons of XP that way. I kept doing Pike's Basin over and over, and I was getting between 4000xp to 6000xp depending on how I did (was doing it with a posse).

Vee on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, fuck the achievement for doing every non DLC hideout in one free roam session. Twice I only had 1-2 in Mexico to do, and something urgent came up.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ooh, 4x XP weekend? Time for me to saddle up and ride on out then!

Feel free to invite me off the metatag, MrVyngaard is the name.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png