As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Just bought CK2. Madness shall happen

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I also just got CK2. No idea what im doing. Whats a good starting nation/duchy? Are the tutorials any good this time? Are there any good youtube videos to teach noobs to play CK2/EU3?

Because im in way over my head...

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I still have faith it will be 75% off on Steam on the final day. I believe.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    People will stay different things about where to start.

If you start somewhere in Ireland, you can start small with a clear goal: Go from a single county to reuniting Ireland
    If you start as William the Conqueror, you start with a war that's almost certainly won after which you get Scotland, Wales and Ireland to slowly eat while watching France. So you start by learning out war, and then get thrown into the intrigue deep end.
    If you start as the Duke of Apulia, you are in a good position to become King of Sicily and fight/conquer the Muslim horde.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

If you start somewhere in Ireland, you can start small with a clear goal: Go from a single county to reuniting Ireland
    If you start as William the Conqueror, you start with a war that's almost certainly won after which you get Scotland, Wales and Ireland to slowly eat while watching France. So you start by learning out war, and then get thrown into the intrigue deep end.
    If you start as the Duke of Apulia, you are in a good position to become King of Sicily and fight/conquer the Muslim horde.

The Duke of western Denmark (the name escapes me) also gives you a nice amount of options, a clear goal (the crown) and probably some of the best court politics in the starting game.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Been playing Victoria II lately with the updated New Nations Mod. The mod doesn't change much about the starting nations, though it does add a bunch of new African nations and breaks up Japan in to several Shogunates. It does however add like 100+ possible revolter nations which is pretty cool along with a ton of new events.

I started off playing as Texas. Thankfully I remembered my history and was able to hold out until the Americans intervened. Sadly I mismanaged the country terribly so I switched over to nation in Africa that was somehow "civilized". Was hoping to create a badass pan-African nation, but that also went nowhere. Then I noticed that the CSA had won the Civil War. Apparently America was embroiled in a war with Great Britain and a second war with the Ottoman Empire so the CSA was able to White Peace out. I decided to take over (in 1857, crazy stuff huh) and have since been leading the CSA to greatness. Currently it is 1875 and I have a respectable stake in the African continent, allied with the USA, and friendly with France and GB (my colonial neighbors).

I think GB and France are going to be duking it out soon and bringing most of the world with them. Sadly the CSA may be on the cusp of a Communist revolution, which would make the CSA the first in the world. Kind of cool, but my nation is pretty damn solid at the moment and I have zero idea where all these commie sympathies may be coming from. Seriously, taxes are at 5% across the board, we have great education, and fairly decent everything else. I'm not exactly looking to stop the coup, I'm just perplexed about the why.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    As exciting as the prospect of riding down both Emperors and the Pope and converting them their subjects (Emperors and Popes get no mercy from me after all the grief they've given me) to Islam is, I hope they're planning to follow up this DLC with one for pagans. I want to convert Europe to Suomenusko, damn it.

Yeah, I would much prefer a pagan mod. I'll get this one, if nothing else to show there's interest in playing other religions.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Don't know if anyone is following it but it looks as if Paradox is pulling the plug on Magna Mundi the game.

Disappointing to say the least.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I also just got CK2. No idea what im doing. Whats a good starting nation/duchy? Are the tutorials any good this time? Are there any good youtube videos to teach noobs to play CK2/EU3?

Because im in way over my head...

Not youtube, but this seems to have helped some people over in the CK2 multiplayer thread who asked the same question.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I started as the Duke(?) of Brandenburg, figured I could expand east wards into those heathens hoards while supporting the HRE. I wouldn't want to crown of the HRE, seems like too much work. The Dukes of Brandenburg shall be professional boot lickers to the emperor.....for now :twisted:

• Options
    As king of Poland now. Daughter is going to lose claim to Lesser Poland, and I have no idea why. Gave all of Silesia to one duke, and I have Moravia. Is there a way to see why im going to lose the title duke of Lesser Poland?

• Options
    Find the current title holder, see who their heir is.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    As king of Poland now. Daughter is going to lose claim to Lesser Poland, and I have no idea why. Gave all of Silesia to one duke, and I have Moravia. Is there a way to see why im going to lose the title duke of Lesser Poland?

I believe the Polish crown has the Gavelkind inheritance system. By claiming the throne you might have automatically adopted that system. Also make sure that you do not have fully Agnatic inheritance laws.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Being King of everything makes succession so awful. Especially when you've got +102% distance penalties because you own Jerusalem/Egypt/Arabia. And then that chains to make your local vassals rebel and uggggggh.

I need to take Toulouse to move my capital there.

On the plus side, one assassination and/or plot from getting my son Denmark and Poland, which would unite Scandinavia. Need to get Aragon somehow. Also, if my daughter who's matrilineally married to one of the Kaiser's sons could produce a son, I could try to aim for that. And then I'd only have a couple vassals, all of them distant relatives instead of sixty.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Being King of everything makes succession so awful. Especially when you've got +102% distance penalties because you own Jerusalem/Egypt/Arabia. And then that chains to make your local vassals rebel and uggggggh.

I need to take Toulouse to move my capital there.

On the plus side, one assassination and/or plot from getting my son Denmark and Poland, which would unite Scandinavia. Need to get Aragon somehow. Also, if my daughter who's matrilineally married to one of the Kaiser's sons could produce a son, I could try to aim for that. And then I'd only have a couple vassals, all of them distant relatives instead of sixty.

I had a similar problem. I controlled Poland, Hungary, Georgia, Sicilty, Egypt, and Jerusalem.

When my 2-year old son inherited, half my vassals rebelled. Thank God he had the Genius trait, since without that 5 diplomacy, 5 intrigue, and +5 opinion modifier, I don't think I could have bribed, conquered, and murdered everyone back into line.

I think Georgia is a great place to start myself. It's a King title, but it's small enough to be manageable from the start. The ruler (King Bagrat) is Kind, Just, and Brave which makes everyone love you to start. You have multiple De Jure claims to start, including two on Muslim counties that have very high starting technology. Your one vassal Duke is your cousin, which makes managing him easier. There's also some independent Counts in the area who are of your dynasty and will agree to swear fealty with no fighting.

And, worst case, you can always swear fealty to your second cousin, heir to the Byzantine Empire.

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    General question: Do you guys tend to hang on to one Kingdom title if possible and assimilate, or just make multiple kingdom titles (that you own, naturally) and deal with the constant Duke-plotting?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I generally hang on to them, but it's a pain. I'm reading that SA Let's Play and I kind of like the idea of capturing thrones to put dynasty members on. I wish there were a mechanism for turning a king title into an empire title. Like if you hold 3 or 5 or whatever, you're given the option of making 1 an Empire.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    ck2 is overwhelming

is there a good beginners tutorial type thing

the in game tutorial is fine for explaining the how, I think

but I am not understanding why I would do certain things, or if there are particular paths of play that work well

• Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    This nifty little tool allows for quick and easy way to create extra (titular) kingdoms and empires for all duchies (I believe) and up. Granted, I've not been able to test it to find out how you actually create the new titles as my savegame got eaten by the latest patches, but it should be a nice straight forward means of getting some nice shiny new titles.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I sort of learned as I got along, but then again I had plenty of Paradox experience. Note that Paradox does a 'register the game to see the forums' thing that players really should do. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?599744-CK-II-Userguide-by-Meneth-and-Novapaddy is a link to an indepth guide in pdf form.

I'm playing a game of CK2+ to test it out, and I had immense luck.
    Playing as William the Conqueror, Around five years in I noted that the big Duke of southern France only had 2 daughters. I married my first and second son to them, and he accepted. Through excessive handling of titles their children (4 in all) now stand to inherit about half of France. Afterwards, I guess I should intervene in Spain because the Muslims have completely won there. Barcelona remains with 3 counties. The infidels are also advancing through Southern Italy, which seems to keep the HRE nice and busy.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?603360-Carte-Blanche-for-CK2Plus looks very interesting as a mod. Basicly what this does to chop up the entire map into indepent realms.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Last night I did two games. First game I was trying to unite Scotland under the Moray banner(my family is from Ross so I figured I would pretend I was related). I was able to use claims to get myself three duchies. Push out the Danes. But thanks to gavelkind succesion I lost my claim on the throne before I could pressure my claim. I was pretty proud of myself. But I learned patients. Every time I tried something too early it backfired on me horribly. Eventually a failed independence claim sank me.

Second game I am playing Munster on Ireland. I have claimed half the Ireland. Still can enforce my king title yet. Also my first king went on Crusade. I ended with 1k prestige and 1k piety on him when he finally passed away when he was 65. The sons and fights of the family is getting annoying. They don't effect me outside of 1 small rebellion I quickly put down.

Also figuring out what to build in my cities. I finally know how to get a decent sized army.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I generally hang on to them, but it's a pain. I'm reading that SA Let's Play and I kind of like the idea of capturing thrones to put dynasty members on. I wish there were a mechanism for turning a king title into an empire title. Like if you hold 3 or 5 or whatever, you're given the option of making 1 an Empire.

There's a mod that allows converting any Kingdom into an Empire, as long as you hold four King titles. It's what I did with my Georgia game after I put down that massive revolt.

That said, it actually made it a little boring. I went from having to worry about 15+ vassals, to only having to worry about 4.

• Options
    Farleyman wrote: »
    This nifty little tool allows for quick and easy way to create extra (titular) kingdoms and empires for all duchies (I believe) and up. Granted, I've not been able to test it to find out how you actually create the new titles as my savegame got eaten by the latest patches, but it should be a nice straight forward means of getting some nice shiny new titles.

Oh wow, this looks really cool. I think I'll try it out tonight. It basically makes a kingdom title for every duchy, and an empire title for every kingdom. I think. The tool has settings for how many titles you need to create the next higher one. The minimum is 2. I like his default settings of 4 duchies and 3 kingdoms. If you select the option, whatever lands you control when you create the title become de jure part of it, too. It can also be used with a mod that has it's own landed_titles.txt.

I'm curious how this will affect the AI. It would probably make for a much different looking map late game.

• Options
    Yep, It was Gavelkind. My wife finally had a son after three daughters (plus two from first marriage). Move laws over so only males can inherit, my entire kingdom now passes to one person. Then wife has another son. Crap. Can I send him off to a Monastic order, cause other wise hes going to have to die. I have the Duchy of Lesser Poland(minus the bishopric), Prussia, and Moravia. The Duchies of Silesia, Greater Poland, Pomerania, and Kuyavia are my vassals. Keiven Rus is moving towards the Baltic. Need more Holy Wars to cut them off.

PS is there any chance of getting a PA game going in CK2?

• Options

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/155365/crusader-kings-2-multiplayer-extravaganza-tuesthurs-10-pm-save-in-op/p1

Oh wow, this looks really cool. I think I'll try it out tonight. It basically makes a kingdom title for every duchy, and an empire title for every kingdom. I think. The tool has settings for how many titles you need to create the next higher one. The minimum is 2. I like his default settings of 4 duchies and 3 kingdoms. If you select the option, whatever lands you control when you create the title become de jure part of it, too. It can also be used with a mod that has it's own landed_titles.txt.

I'm curious how this will affect the AI. It would probably make for a much different looking map late game.

Okay, tried this last night. It creates a new mod for itself, which is cool. It was easy enough to merge with my own mod since they didn't share any files. I started as the Earl of Dublin and after a little while was Duke of Meath, Leinster, Munster, and Connacht. Once I got that 4th one, I had the option of creating the Kingdom of Meath, so I'm guessing it's based on your primary title. I went ahead and stuck with Kingdom of Ireland. Once I get another 2 kingdoms, I should be able to convert one to an Empire. I'll just need to decide which one.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    How does the AI handle it? If they're too slow I see it getting old pretty fast.
    Well until the Mongols show up and get to eat everyone.

Also, I'd be up for a CK2 mp that is a bit more euro friendly.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    Yep, It was Gavelkind. My wife finally had a son after three daughters (plus two from first marriage). Move laws over so only males can inherit, my entire kingdom now passes to one person. Then wife has another son. Crap. Can I send him off to a Monastic order, cause other wise hes going to have to die. I have the Duchy of Lesser Poland(minus the bishopric), Prussia, and Moravia. The Duchies of Silesia, Greater Poland, Pomerania, and Kuyavia are my vassals. Keiven Rus is moving towards the Baltic. Need more Holy Wars to cut them off.

If you have Free Investiture (spelling? Something like that), you can go into the religion screen and set who inherits each Bishopric. If you set a son which would have a claim of succession as the heir to a bishopric it takes him out of the line for any other title.

My first king of Wales did this to 6 of his sons as a precaution until I could get the laws switched off of Gavelkind.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, I bought the game (CK2) just before the giant steam sale, and in addition to having trouble finding time I'm also at a loss for where to start.

I kind of want to start as a Count, though a Dukedom would be fine as well. Something where I would have some claims would be nice as well, and not in the direct line of fire for the Muslim states. Wales perhaps? Isle of Man? Any other interesting areas? Suggestions would be helpful...

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Ireland is a good start. Duke of Munster or Count of Dublin (his father or son is the duke of the area next to Dublin so you'll have both as soon as you/he pops your/his clogs).

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So, I bought the game (CK2) just before the giant steam sale, and in addition to having trouble finding time I'm also at a loss for where to start.

I kind of want to start as a Count, though a Dukedom would be fine as well. Something where I would have some claims would be nice as well, and not in the direct line of fire for the Muslim states. Wales perhaps? Isle of Man? Any other interesting areas? Suggestions would be helpful...

Isle of Man is in the Scottish firing line, I'm pretty sure, so unless you bend the knee quick-like it might not end so well and, at least in every game I've played, that may not even save you from the quite often tyrannical Scottish kings.

Wales is a good start, especially the northern half's Duke as you'll have a military advantage over the rest of the kingdom (as long as you avoid pissing off the English). The southern Irish Duke is the traditional suggestion, as the Kingdom of Ireland is relatively easy to achieve, you start with a claim on the southern county and no one is going to bother you from the outside. The western Danish duke is a personal favorite of mine, as it supplies the best court politics, an area to advance to the south (if you take it before the HRE snaps it all up) and a pretty easy route to the Danish crown if you don't mind killing off some bothersome siblings.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, Ireland is one of the better starting places for counts. Everyone around you is pretty much independent, and the dukes there are only have 1 vassal each. They're also all pretty even as far as troop strength goes, so it's pretty easy to expand early. I restarted doing this again last night and was king of Ireland in about an hour.

I like to start as earl of Dublin (creating my own ruler), then fabricate a claim on Kildare and take it. Create the duke title. Fabricate a claim on Leinster and take it. Then create that duke title. The do a de jure war (if he won't vassalize willingly) on Ossory (or is it Ormond... whatever is in the de jure county). At that point you'll have 3 personal counties and 1 vassal, and will be stronger than anyone else on the island. From there wait until your new counties lose their newly conquered modifier and just fabricate claims and offer vassalization/do de jure wars until you can create the king title. From there, the rest of ireland should accept vassalization.

During that time I also use my marshal to increase levy size in Dublin and my steward to collect taxes. Money is going to be very important at that stage. I also try to build a few tax boosters in my home castle.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    The Duchy of the Isles usually loses to the Scottish King, yeah, unless Norway starts heavily dicking around.

Personally I'm not that big of a fan of 'start small' because the game is slow for small counties. Years of saving up and hoping for no bad events isn't my game. I'd advice people to start medium size, a Duke somewhere or for a more fighty scenario a Spanish King.

• Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Okay, tried this last night. It creates a new mod for itself, which is cool. It was easy enough to merge with my own mod since they didn't share any files. I started as the Earl of Dublin and after a little while was Duke of Meath, Leinster, Munster, and Connacht. Once I got that 4th one, I had the option of creating the Kingdom of Meath, so I'm guessing it's based on your primary title. I went ahead and stuck with Kingdom of Ireland. Once I get another 2 kingdoms, I should be able to convert one to an Empire. I'll just need to decide which one.

Glad to see it works nicely. I was able to get it going and create the new titles nice enough (although it had some issue with the new mercenary bands added by Bella Gerant Alii. Just temporarily remove them from landed_titles.txt and let it run and it works, then you can add them back in), but as I say, didn't have a savegame in a position to test it out, and I'm too lazy to start again now until the new patch.

Farleyman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Ireland is one of the better starting places for counts. Everyone around you is pretty much independent, and the dukes there are only have 1 vassal each. They're also all pretty even as far as troop strength goes, so it's pretty easy to expand early. I restarted doing this again last night and was king of Ireland in about an hour.

I like to start as earl of Dublin (creating my own ruler), then fabricate a claim on Kildare and take it. Create the duke title. Fabricate a claim on Leinster and take it. Then create that duke title. The do a de jure war (if he won't vassalize willingly) on Ossory (or is it Ormond... whatever is in the de jure county). At that point you'll have 3 personal counties and 1 vassal, and will be stronger than anyone else on the island. From there wait until your new counties lose their newly conquered modifier and just fabricate claims and offer vassalization/do de jure wars until you can create the king title. From there, the rest of ireland should accept vassalization.

During that time I also use my marshal to increase levy size in Dublin and my steward to collect taxes. Money is going to be very important at that stage. I also try to build a few tax boosters in my home castle.

If you can get 500 prestige, creating an Anti-Pope can get you all the money you need. I managed to unify Ireland and Wales in the lifetime of my first ruler.

That said, I'm hoping they tweak the Anti-Pope when they do Sword of Islam, since it's way too good.

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »

If you can get 500 prestige, creating an Anti-Pope can get you all the money you need. I managed to unify Ireland and Wales in the lifetime of my first ruler.

That said, I'm hoping they tweak the Anti-Pope when they do Sword of Islam, since it's way too good.

Should have seen it at release.

• Options
    Yeah the antipope basicly generated no bad effects back then, apart from the long term effect of spreading heresy everywhere.

Which while annoying was also very annoying for your everyone else, a constant source of rebellions (When rebellions were stronger and more common)

• Options
    I thought about making an anti-pope, but I don't think I want to go down that road. I like being a good catholic ruler, especially since my bishops love me more than the pope.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Alpha signups are open for War of the Roses.

https://twitter.com/#!/AWarofRoses

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Yeah the antipope basicly generated no bad effects back then, apart from the long term effect of spreading heresy everywhere.

Which while annoying was also very annoying for your everyone else, a constant source of rebellions (When rebellions were stronger and more common)

All that I can see right now is that Catholic religious authority goes down. I know that affects heresy spread, but I haven't seen any other noticeable effects.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Here's a follow up to my 'who should I play' question... how dangerous is starting with one of the Brittany nobles? Will I just be a French punching bag?