As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm having fun in the multiplayer game with Croatia. Surrounded by powerful countries it makes expanding a bit tough but more rewarding.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Mackenzier wrote: »
    Once I was the King of Ireland (and Wales!), but then England kicked my ass. 200 years in and I was doing pretty decently for my first real foray into this, but the final 3 counties I needed to truely unite Ireland (also Wales) passed 100 years of English rule... goodbye de jure claims. I'm pretty well hemmed in at this point by doom stacks from England, Scotland and France (who owns everything on mainland Europe west of the HRE). Ah well, whom to try next - any suggestions?

I like to go for Brittany if they're not allied with anyone (or a vassal of someone) and make it my demense. I've had a bunch of French nobles fabricate claims on my stuff, but none of them ever pressed them.

And don't be scared of England or Scotland. Just wait until a crusade or the inevitable independence doom spiral, then hit and take a few counties. You can always check how many troops they can field by clicking their leader and clicking Realm Tree. The bottom number is what they currently can raise. They may be weaker than you think, Scotland especially.

Be scared of France.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Sad news: Magna Mundi the Game is cancelled. It was an extremely ambitious mod for EU3 that got turned into a proper game, but the devs were not able to deliver the game paradox wanted (Mostly a completely unstable multiplayer).

It would've always been a really niche product but still something that may have been interesting.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Sad news: Magna Mundi the Game is cancelled. It was an extremely ambitious mod for EU3 that got turned into a proper game, but the devs were not able to deliver the game paradox wanted (Mostly a completely unstable multiplayer).

It would've always been a really niche product but still something that may have been interesting.

That's too bad. Though I kind of hope that this gets Magna Mundi the mod back to being developed.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

This quote is pretty telling:
    It has come to a point where they claim the project is done, and the game is ready for release – despite the many critical issues found and reported on our end.

This is what happens when amateurs have to interact with professionals. The level of quality expected from a mod vs a retail release is dramatically different.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

I have been bummed about this for a while. I mean Ubik is an asshole but he is my kind of asshole. He knows what game he wants to make and doesn't really care if you want to play it.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    Once I was the King of Ireland (and Wales!), but then England kicked my ass. 200 years in and I was doing pretty decently for my first real foray into this, but the final 3 counties I needed to truely unite Ireland (also Wales) passed 100 years of English rule... goodbye de jure claims. I'm pretty well hemmed in at this point by doom stacks from England, Scotland and France (who owns everything on mainland Europe west of the HRE). Ah well, whom to try next - any suggestions?

I like to go for Brittany if they're not allied with anyone (or a vassal of someone) and make it my demense. I've had a bunch of French nobles fabricate claims on my stuff, but none of them ever pressed them.

And don't be scared of England or Scotland. Just wait until a crusade or the inevitable independence doom spiral, then hit and take a few counties. You can always check how many troops they can field by clicking their leader and clicking Realm Tree. The bottom number is what they currently can raise. They may be weaker than you think, Scotland especially.

Be scared of France.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check that out before I call it a game then. I'd been waiting for some sort of revolt/independence attempt but the Duchy of Munster stayed pretty solidly English every time and watching 10K stacks slip in and out of my field of vision spooked me, I'll admit. :lol:

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Be scared of France.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check that out before I call it a game then. I'd been waiting for some sort of revolt/independence attempt but the Duchy of Munster stayed pretty solidly English every time and watching 10K stacks slip in and out of my field of vision spooked me, I'll admit. :lol:

The good thing about civil wars is those 10k stacks end up being 2 5k stacks that fight each other.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Man, I was ready to start getting into HoI3, but sporadic lock-ups requiring a reboot are really pissing in my cheerios.

• Options
    Just got the latest Paradox newsletter. They actually plug the GoT mod for CK2. That's kinda cool.
    Crusader Kings II: A Game of Thrones?

Just checking- you all know about the Game of Thrones mod http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?610007-Mod-A-Game-of-Thrones for Crusader Kings II, right? A total conversion that transforms the game into a lovingly-crafted Westeros, with correctly named nobles and everything. Stunning. We love you, PC gaming community!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Man, Islamic realms really love their assassinations. My millions of family members keep trying kill me and mine (of course), some random dude has killed half my court, one of my mayors set a trap for a Sultan who had reigned for less than a year, my wives keep trying to poison each other's sons, and this Islamic faceless men-like thing keeps trying to kill me (fortunately they keep missing and killing my courtiers).

In other words, buy Sword of Islam. It's quite fun.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I booted up my old game to form the new Spanish Empire option (I posted a pic of the Kingdom of Aragon earlier in this thread, its an old game). King eventually died and I remembered why I stop playing this game once I've made a kingdom. Literally every single vassal in the empire revolted. Over 20 of them. The game actually crashed during the spam of vassals declaring war.

I'm going to put all that down to incompatibilities with newer patches. Because I'm optimistic.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    I haven't even pick up SoI yet, but I'm definitely seeing the effects of some of the changes... battles can swing quite drastically now. Not complaining but it seriously hampered my efforts to form Brittania.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I decided that my first game as a Muslim should be as Saladin. He's incredible, being a Grey Eminence, Patient, Kind, and Just. He also has the fourth highest military strength on Jan 1 1171 (when he becomes Sultan - not quite historically accurate I believe). Then the Caliph called a Jihad for Jerusalem and I got to re-enact some history!

But as cool as he is, I think I'm going to try something a little smaller and more challenging.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    I just got this recently and have been trying to make sense of it all, and started as the Count of Zeeland for one game. I tried to murder my brother for the Duchy of Flanders, but dad died before I could do it, thus splitting it between us. I got one extra fief, and he got 3 and the title of Duke. Nuts to that idea.

But a count started a succession war against my brother, and I joined him, and became Duke. Then the King Capet imprisoned me and a war for the succession of France, which got us a new King. I got an opprourtunity to depose the king and actually had supporters for once, and became King!

Now I feel like the whole thing's going to fall apart, but I'm having a blast!

• Options
    Vegemyte wrote: »
    Now I feel like the whole thing's going to fall apart, but I'm having a blast!

Yep, you're doing it right.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I booted up my old game to form the new Spanish Empire option (I posted a pic of the Kingdom of Aragon earlier in this thread, its an old game). King eventually died and I remembered why I stop playing this game once I've made a kingdom. Literally every single vassal in the empire revolted. Over 20 of them. The game actually crashed during the spam of vassals declaring war.

I'm going to put all that down to incompatibilities with newer patches. Because I'm optimistic.

Had the same exact thing happen in my Ireland game. I owned both the Irish and Scottish crown and was sitting real pretty until my King died. Then the most annoying thorn in my side vassal revolts for the Scottish crown. Fine, I've got the cash to hire mercs and put him down. Until suddenly every vassal in my kingdom revolts. It was ridiculous. At best all I could do was swat down armies because it takes far to long to siege duchies.

And though I've got a save right at the start of the first revolt, I'm not sure there's anyway to keep the cascade effect from happening, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go back to 2 duchies and have to retake all of Ireland a 2nd time.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Aah, I'm going to have to get the expansion this weekend! Looks super fun.

On another note, I tried playing the game of thrones mod and found it somewhat... boring. The problem is that the world order is so rigid, with the fairly stable Iron throne controlling more or less the whole world. It seems I can either play as a huge power player fighting to either usurp or defend the throne, or to play as a relatively minor noble with no chance in hell to ever become independent. I suppose that will almost certainly change as they add in the other continent and more historical starting points though.

Also, the kingsguard keeps forging claims for the red keep and plotting my assassination when I play as the King.

I don't mean to badmouth the mod, it is incredibly cool and well made, it just does not seem to suit my style of play that well. Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting characters/goals to play?

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Had the same exact thing happen in my Ireland game. I owned both the Irish and Scottish crown and was sitting real pretty until my King died. Then the most annoying thorn in my side vassal revolts for the Scottish crown. Fine, I've got the cash to hire mercs and put him down. Until suddenly every vassal in my kingdom revolts. It was ridiculous. At best all I could do was swat down armies because it takes far to long to siege duchies.

And though I've got a save right at the start of the first revolt, I'm not sure there's anyway to keep the cascade effect from happening, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go back to 2 duchies and have to retake all of Ireland a 2nd time.

The trick to deal with chaining revolts:
    As soon as you have more than a couple, surrender to the weakest of them. That'll lower the revolt chance* of all your other vassals by 20%.

*10% for one less revolt and 10% for the reduced Crown laws.

• Options
    Or you could crush them in your iron fist and put loyal lords in their place.

Or give them gold. Gold works fairly well.

• Options
    You can't crush them if they take all your armies :)

And if enough people are revolting, the 10% increased revolt chance PER other revolt gets nasty.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Or you could crush them in your iron fist and put loyal lords in their place.

Or give them gold. Gold works fairly well.

My first step on every change of leadership, before the game even unpauses, is go around, check all the vassals and hand out gold/honorary titles like candy.

Playing my first game as a Muslim leader, went with Ghana, now the Sultan(by a different name) of Mali after my northern neighbor had all of his southern vassals try to break off and I just gobbled them up one by one, each defenseless until I had gained three of them and enough to create the title. Now I have to deal with the grandson-in-line who is an imbecile. Assassins HO!

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Also, if you're dealing with a pretender or someone else who is definitely going to revolt at the first opportunity, try to imprison him first if you can without accruing tyranny.

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    I had a horrible succession crisis as William the Conqueror (doesn't help that his heir is a moron). All my formerly loyal Norman vassals rebelled, leaving me with Bedford, Kent, Rouen, and Cornwall (who only stayed loyal as he was rotting in a Norwegian dungeon). Fortunately I had saved up around 2k gold, bought loads of mercs and rushed the alliance leader before they could start siegeing my holdings.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    On this subject:

Oh god the Muslim, or at least the Mali, inheritance laws are a friggin suicide pact! "Open" might as well be listed as "Open-To-All-Out-War". My Sultan died and in my worry that the other land holding brother was going to be the problem, I gave him another county and a duchy (or the Muslim equivalents of both of those). Great, fine, he loves me, the only problem I figure will be the guy holding two southern counties that I had been trying to grab anyway, no big deal. I take the opportunity to declare war to grab the last of the Songhai holdings since the truce went away with daddy, also reaffirming my brother's support as he's the "Duke" of Songhai and I declare for his claim.

Soon as I declare, one of my northern vassals grabs my new Sultan's son, invites him to his court, and then not only declares war for the Sultanate but pulls in all of my vassals save for my brother. Since their armies are cut off all around me, I have the advantage in numbers, but this is going to be a slog. Thankfully the last of the former-Songhai can field a whopping 71 men, so they're nothing more than an annoyance as I march my army around and try to catch the rebelling forces before they can meet up.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I had a really interesting game starting as a minor HRE count and working my way up to Duke. I got lucky with some of my marriage arrangements and a member of my dynasty ended up Emperor, and I joined him in fighting off a succession crisis. Then I switched to Seniority and axed some people so the Emperor was my heir before my current ruler died. Thus becoming Emperor!

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    What's the verdict on SoI? Am I missing out on much other than Islamic rulers if I just go with the new patch and not the full expansion?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    SoI just enables the option to play as Muslim rulers, all gameplay changes are in the patch as I understand it (though you won't be able to use them first hand). The only other thing is that SoI doesn't appear to be compatible with non-SoI games in multiplayer at the moment, even if you disable it at start up.

Islamic dynasties are in general much more volatile than their Christian counterparts, relatively easy to get huge with them and even easier to lose it all, so I'd get it if that style play appeals to you. There's also a lot of new stuff for muslims, most notably events and a retooled GUI.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Depends if you want to play multiplayer with people with SoI. At the moment it's a necessity. Otherwise it just seems to be the Muslim stuff. Which is different an interesting, but I'm only 25 years into a Mali game and I might be fucked if I can't improve relations with the Sultan of Morocco until I build up some more troops.

I do have four genius wives though, so hopefully my next ruler will kick ass.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I played for almost hundred years with scores of wives with positive genetic attributes and I only got one dynasty member who inherited one of them. I think eugenics might have been toned down.

• Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    According to some post on the forums that I can no longer find, the chances of inheriting any of the traits like genius are so slim it's not worth worrying about. Strangely though unless only one parent has the trait. Then the chance goes up by a fair amount, but still nothing worth worrying about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, playing as Muslims is really, really fun.

So far I've gone from Emir of Sevilla to Sultan of Andalusia. I'm pretty close to being Caliph of Spain as well!

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I haven't touched the Muslim factions yet, but I'm loving the changes so far. Started a new game as a duchy in England, watched the giant norman stack of death parade around the map until William the Bastard had around a 95% warscore. Decided to intervene for poor Harold (I love a good underdog) and with a motley army of about 300 men, would repeatedly go around the map re-taking counties out from underneath the normans. Shitty part is my heir-less duke spent the entire war in prison, and now he's old and childless, so it could be a rather short game.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Muslim Invasions are absurd.

I just took the entirety of Aquitaine and France in under 10 years at the cost of a measly 1000 piety*

*And the lives of around 50k of my subjects, but no one cares about that.

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    I picked up the paradox packs from Amazon. In your opinions what are the best starter countries for both CK2 and Victoria 2Also are there any additional resources I can use to wrap my head around what is going on?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For CK2, playing an Irish count or duke seems to be the most common recommendation.

This is a great Let's Play that explains some concepts and gives you a good idea of what you should be doing.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Prussia is fun in Victoria. Good army and the chance to use it. A relatively clear goal: German unification. After that, start WWI

The US gives you a more laid back game, you can beat up Mexico pretty easily and nobody will really challenge you on the continent

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    My first game of Vicky 2, as the US, Mexico was sphered by the UK immediately after I declared war. That did not end up going well for me.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    That... could be an issue yes

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Well, CK2 is really bad for me because it's so much fun. There's something that feels really great about growing one county at a time, going from having to hire mercenaries to take one county to building up to being a duke people don't like to mess with.

That some lieges don't end some bloodlines immediately on rebellion is beyond me. I've tried to kick the Polish/Hungarian kings off the throne at least twice and yet I still have all my land. Their heirs are going to rue that decision....someday.

steam_sig.png