As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So. Mel Gibson didn't have a thread yet. Fixed.

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Well, let's be fair to the guy. We'll start with the good - and the good is pretty darn good:

THE GOOD

Lethal_weapon1.jpg

Lethal_Weapon_2_Poster.jpg

Lethal_Weapon_3_Poster.jpg

Lethal_Weapon_4_Poster.jpg

This film franchise, which arguably defined Mel Gibson's career, also set whole new standards for the action genre and established the 'Buddy Cop' genre (it wasn't the first 'Buddy Cop' film by any stretch of the imagination, but Lethal Weapon set the new standard for the trope). It put Danny Glover on the map and, although the first film hasn't aged well & the third is 'meh' at best, #2 and #4 are both just as watchable today as they were when they were released. It's campy action at it's finest.

EDIT: People have made it plain that the original Lethal Weapon is still quite a good film and that #4 is a total waste of time according to a large crowd. So, now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

madmax.jpg

Mad_max_two_the_road_warrior.jpg

mad-max-beyond-thunderdome.jpg

...The only other franchise you could argue really defined Mel's career is the 'Mad Max' trilogy, and only one of those is watchable (EDIT: It has been argued that the original Mad Max is also watchable. The following is posted for your consideration: ) - but damn, is it ever fucking good. The leather armor costume in Fallout is ripped straight out of the Road Warrior, as well as the concept of having a lone canine companion. This franchise started Gibson's career as a serious actor, undoubtedly leading to bigger things like Lethal Weapon and...

Braveheart_imp.jpg

Now, a lot of people hate this one for it's laughable historical inaccuracy & ridiculous portrayal of the English (and we'll come back to that later), but it's a solid schlocky medieval stab-em-up movie if you can turn a blind eye to the glaring revisionism. It also won Mel an Academy Award for best director, and well deserved in my opinion - the movie was very well shot & choreographed.

There was some other stuff of his that was pretty good, if not as memorable or block-busting, along the way:

RansomPoster.jpg

Conspiracy_theory_poster.jpg

PaybackPoster.jpg

gallipoli-dvdcover1.jpg

maverick-maverick-mel-gibson-jodie-foster-james-garner-9913328.jpg

...And then, well... the cracks in the facade begin to appear.

THE BAD

Patriot_promo_poster.jpg

Now, this wasn't a terrible film in and of itself... but we see such a profound revisionism here, with Gibson having such tremendous creative influence (he wasn't the writer or director, but it's clear from accounts of both Emmerich & Rodat that Gibson 'contributed' a lot of his own thoughts to the film's making), that one starts to ask an awful lot of questions about what Gibson's perception of American history is. And what the Hell is up with his depiction of the British?

Then we had this:

Thepassionposterface-1-.jpg

Essentially, a Jew baiting slasher film very thinly veiling itself as a 'historical' retelling of Jesus Christ's final days.

As it turns out, this man:

hutton_gibson,0.jpg

Hutton Gibson, Mel Gibson's father, had poisoned his son's brain with neo-nazi rhetoric and historical revisionism since Mel's early childhood. This was all brought to serious public attention when Mel was pulled over for a DUI offense and the actor went on a drunken anti-semitic, conspiracy laden rant about how the Jews controlled everything, started all wars, etc (essentially, he was regurgitating the old Stab in the Back myth). He also referred to one of the female officers as 'sugar tits', to the amusement of the American media.

Since that incident, Mel has only gone further off into the deep end. There are recent, credible reports that he was caught on audio beating his girlfriend, telling her (spoiler'd for extraordinary offensiveness):
"I hope you get raped by a pack of rabid n***rs."

She was apparently also holding their infant while he was hitting her, for like an extra -70 Karma or whatever.

[strike]Audio tapes haven't been released to the public yet, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.[/strike]

You can listen to the audio for yourself right here. NSFW!!!!

So. Career-wise, can this man be salvaged at this point? Are people going to avoid casting him in light of his mental instability shining through? Will anyone actively avoid watching a good looking film just because it stars Mel Gibson?

Aside from the career part, and maybe dealing with the meta-issue of people who have been groomed into a deranged state by their parents, would you lean more towards 'guy needs help' or 'guy needs to be incarcerated' as far as dealing with his apparent spate of domestic abuse is concerned?

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha oh Mel.

Cristo on
  • Options
    KrubicksCubeKrubicksCube Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did anyone see Edge of Darkness? Any good?

We know he's a bit nuts but who in Hollywood isn't?

KrubicksCube on
    What I'm Currently Nerding To:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gotta say, the L&O episode where Chevy Chase plays DUI Mel is a lot of fun.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh it was awesome.

It was like a more political Taken. Great stuff.

Cristo on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lethal Weapon 3 does not belong in the "good" list. I just watched it recently, and it was terrible. I almost feel like putting Lethal Weapon 4 in the terrible list too, if only because there's only so many times you can watch Danny Glover - who is like twice Mel Gibson's age - being completely naive. But this thread is about Mel Gibson and not Danny Glover.

Next, I would put The Patriot in the good category. Obnoxious revisionist history? Yes. Thoroughly enjoyable film despite that? In my opinion, yes.

Third, the Mel Gibson remake of Ransom wasn't terrible, but it wasn't nearly as good as the original in my opinion. But that's just me.

Also, I routinely take shit for this, but I really liked the version of Hamlet that Mel Gibson was in and I loathed Brannaugh's version by comparison. Everyone hates on Gibson's but I think it did a lot of things right (like not implying that Hamlet never slept with Ophelia) as opposed to Brannaugh's which has a bloody sex scene. Fuck. That. It was also pretty dark and drab, which I felt captured the aesthetic of the setting much better than other versions of Hamlet I've seen, and it excised the right scenes - the scenes that usually make audiences drift off and lose the main thrust of the play.

Also, what about Maverick? As good as the original, no. But Jodie Foster was hot in it and I thought it was a fun fim. I'd put it with good.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Are... are you serious?

A bit nuts? He knocked out one of his girlfriends teeth. And this compares to who in Hollywood at this point?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OP is lacking Maverick as a good movie.

FOR SHAME.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sentry wrote: »

Are... are you serious?

A bit nuts? He knocked out one of his girlfriends teeth. And this compares to who in Hollywood at this point?

Naomi Campbell.

Russell Crowe.

Phil Spectre.

Michael Jackson.

etc. etc.

Cristo on
  • Options
    KrubicksCubeKrubicksCube Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Are... are you serious?

Hmmmm, this is a good point.

Gary Busey? Tom Cruise?

Maybe they aren't as violent and anti-Semitic though haha. Isn't he directing something new soon?

KrubicksCube on
    What I'm Currently Nerding To:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay. I will put in Maverick just for you guys.

Lethal Weapon 3 is there just for completeness (I agree it's bad, and I have that written in the little blurb).

Fucking Patriot stays right where it is. Film is just too batshit crazy; American history isn't that hard to get right.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The recording of what he said. Racist language ahoy.

Mel Gibson is certifiably crazy at this point.

It's retroactively ruined any movies with him I might have liked in the past because I can't get passed it.

Asiina on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    Okay. I will put in Maverick just for you guys.

Lethal Weapon 3 is there just for completeness (I agree it's bad, and I have that written in the little blurb).

Fucking Patriot stays right where it is. Film is just too batshit crazy; American history isn't that hard to get right.

WE HAVE FREE SLAVES!

the term handwaving doesn't even come closer

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not saying The Patriot isn't insane.

But if you completely detach reality from it, I think it was a funny film. And funny -> enjoyment.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »

But if you completely detach reality from it, I think it was a funny film. And funny -> enjoyment.

it was braveheart with muskets and pants

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mmm.....Payback. Such a great movie with such a Glorious Bastard protagonist.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Naomi Campbell.

Russell Crowe.

Phil Spectre.

Michael Jackson.

Okay - which of these people smashed-in their girlfriend's face, while she was holding an infant, while screaming that she could go get raped by some black people (because, y'know, everybody knows that's how black people operate. Roving around in big rape packs, ready to pounce on hapless white chicks).

There's crazy & violent people in Hollywood, but Gibson's a special kind of deranged.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010

So it was basically a palette swap.

I enjoy fighting blue slimes as much as I enjoy fighting red slimes. So really that doesn't negate what I said.

Drez on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I enjoy fighting blue slimes as much as I enjoy fighting red slimes. So really that doesn't negate what I said.

I think I like the idea of applying "palette swapping" to movies.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

I think I like the idea of applying "palette swapping" to movies.

Drez would just use the"super-gay" brush for everything

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thread claims original Mad Max is unwatchable. Fuck you thread, fuck you.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Naomi Campbell.

Russell Crowe.

Phil Spectre.

Michael Jackson.

Okay - which of these people smashed-in their girlfriend's face, while she was holding an infant, while screaming that she could go get raped by some black people (because, y'know, everybody knows that's how black people operate. Roving around in big rape packs, ready to pounce on hapless white chicks).

There's crazy & violent people in Hollywood, but Gibson's a special kind of deranged.

Hey, MJ was a paedophile and Spectre murdered a chick.

I think they've got Gibson beat.

Crowe and Campbell like to assualt their staff with telephones.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Alright. I will include the movie posters for Mad Max & Thunderdome.

But I am not going to enjoy doing this.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cristo wrote: »
    Naomi Campbell.

Russell Crowe.

Phil Spectre.

Michael Jackson.

MJ was ACCUSED of being a pedophile, yet somehow managed to never be convicted. Ever.

Spectre is in prision for said murder.

And honestly, if you think throwing a cell phone at someone is the same thing, then there really isn't any point in continuing the conversation, is there?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Naomi Campbell.

Russell Crowe.

Phil Spectre.

Michael Jackson.

MJ was ACCUSED of being a pedophile, yet somehow managed to never be convicted. Ever.

And honestly, if you think throwing a cell phone at someone is the same thing, then there really isn't any point in continuing the conversation, is there?

Yeah and neither was OJ.

But like you said there's no point in continuing this conversation. As crazy as Gibson is he definitely isn't the craziest.

Cristo on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Hey, let's not go crazy here. Thunderdome is... well... less than great.

Tina Turner? I just don't know what they were thinking.

But the original Mad Max?

FUCK YES!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Naomi Campbell.

Russell Crowe.

Phil Spectre.

Michael Jackson.

It depends on how hard you throw it, from what angle, and what distance. I don't know anything specific about Crowe's and Campbell's altercations, but throwing a cell phone at someone can be just as violent as punching someone in the mouth.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

MJ was not violent. Yeah, he was a pedophile, but I hardly consider that as egregious an offense as being a deranged psychopath.

I didn't recognize Spectre. Yeah, he's got Gibson beat.

Crowe threw a phone one time that I'm aware of? If he's more notoriously violent than that, you'll have to clue me in with some linky.

I have no idea who Campbell is off-hand.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Glorious CretinGlorious Cretin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The first Mad Max is fantastic.

Glorious Cretin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

MJ was not violent. Yeah, he was a pedophile, but I hardly consider that as egregious an offense as being a deranged psychopath.

Crowe threw a phone one time that I'm aware of? If he's more notoriously violent than that, you'll have to clue me in with some linky.

Trying to compare the quantity of psychosis between two psychotics is itself psychotic. Let's just not bother.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

o_O

Cristo on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let be the first to say that I didn't (GASP!) like the Passion. The whole thing felt like an excuse to Jew bash and have tons and tons of gore...

There are TONS of better JC films out there such as...
    lasttemptation.jpg

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Go listen to accounts from Jackson's associates for yourself. He's one of the only celebrities I can name who every single person who knew him claimed that he was perhaps the gentlest soul on the planet.

He also had a highly inappropriate sexual fetish for minors.

You don't see how one can be a pedophile without also being violent or psychotic?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Go listen to accounts from Jackson's associates for yourself. He's one of the only celebrities I can name who every single person who knew him claimed that he was perhaps the gentlest soul on the planet.

You don't see how one can be a pedophile without also being violent or psychotic?

You can be a non-violent pedophile, if all you do is sit at home and masturbate while thinking of prepubescent children.

But if you construct a private disneyland and have boys sleep in your bed with you, it's a whole different story.

And being nice or soft-spoken or even loved by everyone that knew him doesn't cancel out being a creepy, inappropriate pedophile.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Beating up your wife and saying the n-word, doesn't make you a deranged psycopath anymore THAN WANTING TO FUCK LITTLE CHILDREN.

Mate, listen to yourself.

You trying to make someone who wanted to violate small children sound better than you're run of the mill, redneck wife beater.

I

Cristo on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Beating up your wife and saying the n-word, doesn't make you a deranged psycopath anymore THAN WANTING TO FUCK LITTLE CHILDREN.

You trying to make someone who wantedto violate small children sound better than you're run of the mill, redneck wife beater.

I

whoa there

far as i can tell, it's pretty much entirely preferable to want to do something pretty fucked up than it is to beat a woman who's holding a baby.

i mean, show me evidence that michael jackson actually had sex with kids and there's a discussion here, but as it is he was really just an incredibly weird dude who got screwed out of having a childhood himself, so later on he got fixated on kids.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

Hey, let's not go crazy here. Thunderdome is... well... less than great.

Tina Turner? I just don't know what they were thinking.

But the original Mad Max?

I'm with you on the first Mad Max, that movie was fantastic. Its funny to think that its remembered as violent, but only the last 1/3 of the movie (if even that much) is Max hunting down the gang. Most of the movie is building him up as a character, and the gang as a despicable force.

Now, Thunderdome, with someone good for Aunty (you know, maybe with an Aussie accent, like everyone else in wasteland Australia) and no damned kids could've been pretty cool.

I just watched Thunderdome for the first time since I was a kid and I was enjoying myself until those kids showed up. Pig shit and Geiger counters, pretty nifty stuff. Retards and midgets, I'm having a good time.

Little damned kids that can't speak a lick of intelligible English and I'm done. The final scene of destroyed Sydney was really good looking, though.

Also, Lethal Weapon 1 isn't good, but 3 and 4 are? What? Madness!

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But if you construct a private disneyland and have boys sleep in your bed with you, it's a whole different story.

And being nice or soft-spoken or even loved by everyone that knew him doesn't cancel out being a creepy, inappropriate pedophile.

I didn't say it did - but, again, I'm of the opinion that non-violent molestation is a lesser offense than violently disfiguring people. If you don't want to rank these things, fine, I guess.
    You trying to make someone who wanted to violate small children sound better than you're run of the mill, redneck wife beater.

I

Ever had your adult teeth forcibly ripped out of your face by blunt force trauma? I have. It's not 'run of the mill' violence.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "run of the mill, redneck wife beater."

"run of the mill...wife beater"

This phrase, used so casually and flippantly, is blowing my fucking mind here.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm amazed how calm the woman sounds in the tape. I certainly wouldn't have stayed that calm had I been in her shoes.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You trying to make someone who wantedto violate small children sound better than you're run of the mill, redneck wife beater.

I

whoa there

far as i can tell, it's pretty much entirely preferable to want to do something pretty fucked up than it is to beat a woman who's holding a baby.

i mean, show me evidence that michael jackson actually had sex with kids] and there's a discussion here, but as it is he was really just an incredibly weird dude who got screwed out of having a childhood himself, so later on he got fixated on kids.

He had hundreds of kids at Neverland ranch, was accused of molestation twice, once he paid to make it go away (which while looking suspicious is no proof of anything) and the second time it was proven that the family was just trying to extort money out of him and the kid was lying.

So, yeah... meanwhile, I can show you mountains of evidence of Mel Gibson being a psychopath.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote: