As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Bart Vs The Space Mutants - NES

atat23atat23 Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology

Videos:

Info: This is my first LP so any tips or advice are always welcome. I did it all at once as more of a test to see how FRAPs, encoding, uploading etc worked but if some people find it entertaining that's always a plus.

You'll have to forgive the kinda rough editing, turned out I spent around 13 minutes per level so I thought it best to just split it up as best I could into 11 minute sections.

I won't post a wikipedia rip here on details about the game since it's a nes game and it's pretty self explanatory. :P

P.S seems I actually have two part 3s on youtube, should be in the right order above :/

atat23 on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow is this already finished?

I think that's some kind of record.

joshofalltrades on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I beat the first stage and didn't get any further.

EDIT- No, that's not right. It was some game where Bart travels the world or something.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Death to this game.

I think I got as far as the carnival. I think that's past the mall.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I never got past the mall with the cement traps. Thanks to the terrible run-jump control scheme.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Even though I'm new to Demon's Souls, I can safely safe that game ain't got shit on how hard this game was on the NES.

DietarySupplement on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    I never got past the mall with the cement traps. Thanks to the terrible run-jump control scheme.

Is this the one where it feels like you're running on an ice slick with grease on your shoes the whole time?

I can't watch this at work at the moment.

joshofalltrades on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The A button is jump. However, if you hold it down you run. To do a running jump, you had to press both A+B buttons. Makes sense right? Add that to having to navigate a pit with spinning lollipops that are your platforms and...yeah. Returned that to the video store SO HARD.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Congrats on making it through such a terrible game, man. I fell out when you called Maggie a lil' bitch. Do one for Micro Machines on NES!

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
    edited July 2010
    Jump and run were on the same button, IIRC. So to start running you'd sort of have to jump first.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Shit, I had this game. I think I even beat the first level once!

Echo on
    edited July 2010
    When I feel sorry for you, you know you picked a tough game to LP

joshofalltrades on
  • The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let's not play this. I'd rather pull my teeth out with pliers.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why would you do that to yourself?

PolloDiablo on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bart's Nightmare was vastly superior.

Taramoor on
    edited July 2010
    This reminds me of Bart Vs. The Juggernauts

That game got me into trouble so much as a kid

The obscenities

Ohhhh the obscenities

joshofalltrades on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I had this on the Amiga when I was about 6 years old. I got to the power plant but never finished it I don't think.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually beat this as a kid. Once you master the crappy controls it's not that bad. Unfortunately they blew pretty much all of their creativity with the first level (and some in Krustyland), so the rest are pretty standard platforming stages.

And I'm still not quite sure how purple objects, hats, balloons and exit signs were somehow supposed to help the space mutants take over the world...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow is this already finished?

I think that's some kind of record.

yeah I wasn't sure on the protocol on this since it was so short but I figured I may as well put it all up instead of trickling it out. Also because the levels were all over ten minutes it would have been awkard to have like two six minutes videos per level.

Arikado wrote: »
    The A button is jump. However, if you hold it down you run. To do a running jump, you had to press both A+B buttons. Makes sense right? Add that to having to navigate a pit with spinning lollipops that are your platforms and...yeah. Returned that to the video store SO HARD.

I used them seperately, never had to use the running jump, plus I was using a PS3 controller for this, square was B, X was A, difficult to control yourself and have these both pressed down. You honestly don't really need it though the holding down B to jump further is usually enough.

Coffey wrote: »
    Congrats on making it through such a terrible game, man. I fell out when you called Maggie a lil' bitch. Do one for Micro Machines on NES!

The nuclear power plant? well you got further than I though most would get :D

Funny you should mention Micro Machines though, when I was thinking of an LP to do and what games I played through when I was younger, Micro Machines was one I thought of but learning all the levels again would have been a pain.

atat23 on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I loved loved loved this game as a kid, but it was my only point of access to the Simpsons until 1993 or 94. I got past the first level once or twice, but I still loved playing it. I never owned it, though. I rented it a couple times, but most of the time I borrowed it from my next door neighbor. Thanks for the LP. Now I can actually see what lies beyond the second stage.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game was very difficult. Will be fun to relive though.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I hated this game as a kid. I enjoyed the LP, finally let me see what the game is like past the first level.

solsovly on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I could usually get through Downtown, the Mall, and Krustyland fairly easily, but the Museum was just an absolute bitch. I got as far as the T-Rex skeleton that spits rocks at you, and I constantly died there. A two-hit life meter was just fucking mean, not to mention the massive amount of "miss one jump and you're fucked" areas of the Mall and Museum.

The arcade fighter was vastly superior in every way. They should put it up on Live, PSN, and the Wii Shop channel.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I could usually get through Downtown, the Mall, and Krustyland fairly easily, but the Museum was just an absolute bitch. I got as far as the T-Rex skeleton that spits rocks at you, and I constantly died there. A two-hit life meter was just fucking mean, not to mention the massive amount of "miss one jump and you're fucked" areas of the Mall and Museum.

The arcade fighter was vastly superior in every way. They should put it up on Live, PSN, and the Wii Shop channel.

I remember that part being a bitch (the t-rex). I seem to recall there is some trick to it but it's been so long that I don't know anymore.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I call shenanigans. Bart vs. The Space Mutants obviously ends at Krustyworld and the OP just made everything else up to make us all feel bad for not finishing this terrible, terrible game.

I think I rented this twice and I think I only ever managed to get to the very start of the Museum once. Such an awful game and so much tiny nostalgic rage.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That LP was obviously much more fun to watch than the game is to play. Thanks!

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I get the feeling that Homer was trying to be smrt by pouring water onto the floor, intending for Marvin to get a shock of his own.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My father in law is the master of this game, to this day he can pop the cartridge in and beat it with one life in one sitting

Garris on
    edited July 2010
    Garris wrote: »
    My father in law is the master of this game, to this day he can pop the cartridge in and beat it with one life in one sitting

How does it feel knowing your wife is the offspring of HAL and SHODAN

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2010
    PS3 controller? FRAPS?

I think we all know what is going on here.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited July 2010
    I call shenanigans. Bart vs. The Space Mutants obviously ends at Krustyworld and the OP just made everything else up to make us all feel bad for not finishing this terrible, terrible game.

I think I rented this twice and I think I only ever managed to get to the very start of the Museum once. Such an awful game and so much tiny nostalgic rage.

yeah you caught me, I created the rest of that in game art using MS paint and the music was just a recording of me smashing a gameboy against a wall. You win this round NinjaSnarl :D

PS3 controller? FRAPS?

I think we all know what is going on here.

yeah unfortunately my actual copy is somewhere in my parents attic, I also don't have a working NES, was actually going to buy one of those top loading ones on think geek but I heard they don't support a lot of the games.

I do actually want to get a capture card for my Laptop, if possible, and maybe LP some of my console games. I was actually thinking of doing a Demon's Souls one but Trynant beat me to it, I thought I'd be the only one crazy enough to try that.

atat23 on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man I would love to track down one of those original top loading nes reissue systems. Unfortunately new they are extremely rare/expensive.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/ba5a/

Fuck yeah, if only you could use that with the Wii as well as the PC.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I'm guessing the NES version did not have this super sweet intro the Amiga version had?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGQPHWkWCEo

I was amazed by those graphics when I was little. I'd also never seen the cartoon.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Had fun watching all those. I only remember getting to the mall, and that was after a lot of trial and error (and I think help from Nintendo Power).

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bleck. This fuckin' game.

Anyhoo, my memory may be betraying me but I think you can skip most of the first cement pit in the mall by jumping three times on one of the candy bars. It will float you over the rest of it. Could have been a dream, I guess. :)

Monsty on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can indeed skip the cement section and I did every time. However in Krusty Land I could never work out some bit where you cross a pipe organ by jumping on puffs of air. Killed me every time.

This was back on the Sega Master System in my youth.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2010
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/ba5a/

Fuck yeah, if only you could use that with the Wii as well as the PC.

that is fucking sweet, I don't even play enough NES games to warrant buying it but I probably still would

Rami wrote: »
    So I'm guessing the NES version did not have this super sweet intro the Amiga version had?

I was amazed by those graphics when I was little. I'd also never seen the cartoon.

I think if I hang about the main menu screen long enough, the intro that's in there just plays, I didn't actually test it.....fairly sure though >_>

That intro explains why he was wearing those glasses in the NES version though, that puzzled me when I was recording the LP.

atat23 on
  • DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought this for the C64 as a kid. With my own money! I never made past the first level.

Delinator on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think this is the game that taught me that console games of a certain licensed property were often nothing like arcade games of the same licensed property, and that licensed games often sucked so hard. I harbor a very special sort of hatred for it.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, just looking at the Screenshots of the YouTube videos gave me flashbacks. This game has given me PTSD.

DrunkMc on