As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sprite-based or Twin-stick Diablo Clones?

InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats.Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
So, last night as I was trying to get to sleep, I started wondering if there were any 16-bitish, Spirte-based, Link to the Past-style Diablo Clones out there? I am just kind of a sucker for that classic sprite-based artstyle, and would love to play a nice little modern Hack-n-slash/loot crawl done in it.

Or, beyond that, what about Twin-stick "shooter" Diablo clones? Seemed like the twin-stick shooter would work pretty well for the genre, allowing for both ranged and melee classes without too much trouble. Or, hell, are there even any twin-stick shooters that have an RPG-like system at all, with upgrades that carry on and a progressing story and such?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
InkSplat on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Twin-stick shooter diablo clone = Borderlands.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

That not what he means by twin stick. Think Smash TV with upgrades.

It's not recent, but the Hunter: The Reckoning games fit most of what you are asking for.

Hunter_cover.PNG

chamberlain on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

While I guess that's technically true, I was looking for something a bit more in the isometric/top-down style. I am pretty terrible at FPS in general.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

That not what he means by twin stick. Think Smash TV with upgrades.

It's not recent, but the Hunter: The Reckoning games fit most of what you are asking for.

Hunter_cover.PNG

And Oooo. It looks like ass, but otherwise that is totally what I'm looking for. I'll have to try and find that somewhere.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds a lot like the Gauntlet games of yesteryear, which are more shooters in a medieval setting than anything else. Modern ones are not sprite based though.

I think your specific requirements are going to be really tough to find. What is most important, is it the sprite-basedness of it? If not, the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games on last gen consoles were awesome for iso hack n' slash with some Diablo underpinnings.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    too human works kind of like borderlands, and melee is a lot of fun in that game, but again, not really meeting the criteria you laid out

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds a lot like the Gauntlet games of yesteryear, which are more shooters in a medieval setting than anything else. Modern ones are not sprite based though.

I think your specific requirements are going to be really tough to find. What is most important, is it the sprite-basedness of it? If not, the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games on last gen consoles were awesome for iso hack n' slash with some Diablo underpinnings.

Champions of Norrath and its sequel also fit, then.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

It was more one-or-the-other that I was expecting to find, honestly. However, for a hack-and-slash, then yeah, I'd really love to find a sprite-based one. But a good hack&slash could win me over anyway.

And yeah, I used to love Gauntlet: Legends back in the day.

It was thinking of Rune Factory that got me wondering about it. I enjoy the sprite-based hack&slashing, but the combat isn't all that great there. And then I was just kind of thinking about ranged-classes, and figured twin-stick would allow for a pretty good control scheme.

Oh, also, if any game happens to have local multi-player, that'd be awesome too.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, you definitely want Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, the multi is so much fun. The second game is way better but really rare and expensive.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, you definitely want Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, the multi is so much fun. The second game is way better but really rare and expensive.

As mentioned, also Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms.

And along those lines, also consider The Bard's Tale, X-Men Legends, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1263404695_SomaBringer.jpg

Never saw a US release, sadly. It desperately needs one.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What about the various Dynasty Warriors stuff?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Too Human plays like a twin-stick shooter, just with a different camera angle. However, it's a bad game.

If you're being loose with how cartoony the sprites can look, Depths of Peril is a wonderful game. No multiplayer, though.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually, cartoony is better. I'll check out Depths of Peril too, thanks!

InkSplat on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's Sacred 2.

Don't get Sacred 2.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sacred 1 is passable. Not great, but passable.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It was good enough that they made a second one which had a lot o-

Sipex on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Too Human plays like a twin-stick shooter, just with a different camera angle. However, it's a bad game.

If you're being loose with how cartoony the sprites can look, Depths of Peril is a wonderful game. No multiplayer, though.
    I wouldn't say Too Human is a bad game, just a dissapointing one. The first playthrough is actually pretty decent once you figure out the weird control scheme. It just utterly lacks character customization and the post-game is incredibly lackluster.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Is it really? I did not know this, but he is very correct. Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2 is a hell of a lot of fun. The personal quests and suchlike are all great fun.

Glad I bought it when it was not rare.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I loved dark alliance, playing it with friends was a blast. I wish they had more games in the same vein. I really want to pick up DA2, It's only 24 bucks on amazon for the xbox version so that doesn't seem to bad.

klok on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Does the Xbox version work for 360? I might pick it up if it does.

Sipex on
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Both games do work for 360 so that's good news.

klok on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Is it really? I did not know this, but he is very correct. Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2 is a hell of a lot of fun. The personal quests and suchlike are all great fun.

Glad I bought it when it was not rare.

After a quick look online I guess it's not as bad as I thought. Maybe it was worse when I tracked it down a few years ago. I just remember being laughed out of three used game stores, all of which who had clerks who had heard of it and were aware of it being sought after. And I paid $60 for it online which was as cheap as I could find for a good copy.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

As mentioned, also Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms.

And along those lines, also consider The Bard's Tale, X-Men Legends, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
    I liked The Bard's Tale. It was a nice DA clone with singing and decent jokes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wasn't that Lord of the Rings game for GBA a pretty good and very much sprite-based Diablo clone? I think Return of the King?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Wasn't that Lord of the Rings game for GBA a pretty good and very much sprite-based Diablo clone? I think Return of the King?

I've heard bad things about that, but I might be thinking of another vide game version of the movies as it looks like it got decent reviews.

http://www.gamerankings.com/gba/914708-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-king/index.html

Couscous on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Both Two Towers and ROTK got pretty great reviews that describe it as a "mini-Diablo."

But I dunno I never played it myself.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Both Two Towers and ROTK got pretty great reviews that describe it as a "mini-Diablo."

But I dunno I never played it myself.

http://www.gamespot.com/gba/adventure/lordoftheringsthefotr/index.html
    This is the one that I was probably thinking of.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man now I want to replay Dark Alliance 2. Thanks a LOT thread.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, both of the movie license LotRs on GBA are the best handheld games of all time. RotK more so for having more playable characters, tighter skill design, more equipment and a way to mule items over to other characters.

The one that Cous heard about was Fellowship of the Ring GBA which was not based on the movie license and was so buggy that you could not finish the game.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What was the other Lord of the Rings game on the GBA? It was a strategy game, the field was divided into three areas, and you could only activate a certain number of people per area?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, both of the movie license LotRs on GBA are the best handheld games of all time. RotK more so for having more playable characters, tighter skill design, more equipment and a way to mule items over to other characters.

The one that Cous heard about was Fellowship of the Ring GBA which was not based on the movie license and was so buggy that you could not finish the game.

I played one of these, probably Two Towers. It was alright.

If we're talking handhelds then there's the two Shining Soul games on the GBA. They're not super awesome, but they're alright time wasters, and more cartooney than the LotR games. The second game had a bunch of different classes, weapons, and spells that added some replayability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfitV4_ZmxE

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What was the other Lord of the Rings game on the GBA? It was a strategy game, the field was divided into three areas, and you could only activate a certain number of people per area?

The Third Age, I'm pretty sure. A lot like Advance Wars.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The Third Age, I'm pretty sure. A lot like Advance Wars.

The Third Age was an exceptionally terrible Final Fantasy X clone, not a strategy game.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So Dark Alliance 2 is worth the 27 I just spent on it?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

Hell yeah. The Rogue, Barbarian, and Necromancer are my favorite classes.

The Barbarian loses points for being the only dude without a personal quest track as I recall it. It was either him, the Priest, or both. The Drow bitch, dwarf Rogue, and elven Necromancer all have kickin' personal quests that lead to a prestige class.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The Barbarian loses points for being the only dude without a personal quest track as I recall it. It was either him, the Priest, or both. The Drow bitch, dwarf Rogue, and elven Necromancer all have kickin' personal quests that lead to a prestige class.

Before I splooge all over the place, this has local co-op right?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Wouldn't be much of a game without it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man.

Where's Dark Alliance 3, all next-genned up?

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Page- wrote: »

Wouldn't be much of a game without it.

Where the HELL have I been?

urahonky on