As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Four record-breaking CME's enroute to the Earth

SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
What's that in the sky? Is it a Bird? Is it a plane?

No, it doesn't look anything remotely like either of those things you Silly Goose!

From Wikipedia's live news update:
On August 1, 2010, scientists at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA), using images taken from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, observed a series of four large CMEs emanating from the earth-facing hemisphere. They were expected to strike the earth's geomagnetic field sometime between August 4 and early August 5. As of 05:00 UTC August 4, the estimated time of arrival of the series was as follows:

Wednesday, August 4 – 07:00 UTC
Wednesday, August 4 – 17:00 UTC
Thursday, August 5 – 00:00 UTC
Thursday, August 5 – 06:00 UTC

All four were described as "large" and, according to scientists, possessed enough energy to cause aurorae to be observed by the naked eye in non-polar regions. According to reports, aurorae should be visible at night in temperate latitudes higher than 45° to 50°. The initial CME was generated by the eruption of August 1 named Sunspot 1092, which was big enough to be seen without the aid of a solar telescope. Aside from the visual effects of the CME series, scientists also fear that electric impulses caused by disruptions in the magnetic field due to the ionized particles may damage infrastructure such as power grids and telephone lines not adequately protected against induced magnetic current. It has also been reported that several earth-orbiting satellites may be in similar danger. According to Leon Golub, an astronomer at CfA:

"This eruption is directed right at us and is expected to get here early in the day on August 4th. It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time. When such an expulsion reaches Earth, it interacts with the planet's magnetic field and can create a geomagnetic storm. Solar particles stream down the field lines toward Earth's poles. Those particles crash with atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere, which then glow like little neon signs. Sky watchers in the northern U.S. and other countries should look toward the north late Tuesday or early Wednesday for rippling "curtains" of green and red light".

Now I love Space, the Universe and everything gorgeous particle of dust and energy that shoots around in the great void, so this is quite big news for me ^^ Got the old telescope facing North and my all-night kit set up! Is anyone else excited by the prospect of observing an Aurorae outside of Norway?? :P

PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
Seanron on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This would be awesome if not for the fact it's rather overcast in my country. :(

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So if I'm in Alabama during the day when this goes down, can i see it with the naked eye?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So if I'm in Alabama during the day when this goes down, can i see it with the naked eye?

Quite unlikely during the day, although you may notice patches of sky looking a bit strange. Your best bet to really appreciate this kind of thing is aat night, away from light pollution such as street lights.

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    bye bye, comms satellites...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    bye bye, comms satellites...

Not quite that big. It's only a G2 class storm here, which is at the lower end of the scale. Shit could of course get more fucked, but it's not too likely to do much more than make pretty lights for now.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saw this on yahoo news; the comment section was worse than usual. The 2012 folks were in a fierce battle with the religous folks over how the world would end. The usual dbaggery I guess.

I couldn't see any activity last night or this morning, sadly.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm at 38degrees N, so I doubt I'll see more than a pale green glow on the horizon -- if anything at all.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ObligatoriousObligatorious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I'm at 38degrees N, so I doubt I'll see more than a pale green glow on the horizon -- if anything at all.

Same here. But I'm gonna stare the HELL out of that horizon.

Obligatorious on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I fear that Roland Emmerich was right all along with his movie 2012 D:

Yogo on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seanron wrote: »
    Now I love Space, the Universe and everything gorgeous particle of dust and energy that shoots around in the great void, so this is quite big news for me ^^ Got the old telescope facing North and my all-night kit set up! Is anyone else excited by the prospect of observing an Aurorae outside of Norway?? :P

The article I read "Solar Tsunami!" on FoxNews (ha) said the last kinda big one was in 2000. I remember seeing green lights in Michigan in the sky that year (A whole bunch of college friends went out into the woods and looked up) It was pretty cool.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do you suppose anything will be visible from kansas?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I will be looking upwards tonight.

(from Kansas)

Hopefully?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I'm sitting almost exactly at 45 degrees N. Hopefully I'll be able to see something tonight.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    During the day? Probably not.

Kinda irritated that all these are happening during the day US time, BTW (well, except for 00:00 UTC, which would be early morning for folks on the Pacific coast). WTF? Doesn't Sol know that he's supposed to schedule this shit for prime time viewing?

GungHo on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    As usual, Omaha will probably be cloudy for the entire freakin' time this is going on.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds interesting, I'll keep an eye out tonight.

Sipex on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oooh, sitting at 48 degrees N here. Should be right smack in the middle of the range, if it would stop clouding over.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Saw this on yahoo news; the comment section was worse than usual. The 2012 folks were in a fierce battle with the religous folks over how the world would end. The usual dbaggery I guess.

I couldn't see any activity last night or this morning, sadly.
    I fear that Roland Emmerich was right all along with his movie 2012

Hehe

Alchemist449 on
  • Options
    nnanjinnanji Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    During the day? Probably not.

Kinda irritated that all these are happening during the day US time, BTW (well, except for 00:00 UTC, which would be early morning for folks on the Pacific coast). WTF? Doesn't Sol know that he's supposed to schedule this shit for prime time viewing?

Wouldn't midnight UTC translate as 8:00 pm in Eastern Time? I was really hoping to catch a glimpse of this tonight.

nnanji on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Someone needs to give the media a smack.

As 2012 gets closer they just make it worse by highlighting all the normal occurances.

"OH LOOK! EARTHQUAKE IN THE OCEAN! 2012! TWENTY TWELVE!"

Also, I thought this was tonight, not last night.

Sipex on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man
    fuck the sun
    all barfing on us like this

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    man
    fuck the sun
    all barfing on us like this

but Saturn was throwing such a sweet keggar man

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Seanron wrote: »

The article I read "Solar Tsunami!" on FoxNews (ha) said the last kinda big one was in 2000. I remember seeing green lights in Michigan in the sky that year (A whole bunch of college friends went out into the woods and looked up) It was pretty cool.

Holy shit, I remember this too, but I couldn't remember when it was. A friend and I jumped into his truck and drove as far away from the city as we could to get a better look at it.

That might be a good plan for tonight.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It would be nice if the people freaking out actually read the articles first. Most of them are quick to mention this happens in cycles, and is quite normal.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Who is freaking out?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Who is freaking out?
    People who don't understand that this: is a work of fiction.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The 2012 believers think this is proof that the end is nigh. Apparently the wording "Tsunami Solar Flair" may cause panic in people who only read headlines.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Will this give me super powers?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did you know that our Sun has no official name? It's just "the Sun"

Some people refer to it as "Sol" or "Helios" or a few other names, but on the books our sun has no name.

Same thing with our moon. And our Solar System in general.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    we like the moon

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gonna be outside on the north side of a building watching a band tonight.

This stuff might actually be visible up here. Awesome.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought Sun is the name of the Sun. I mean, those things shining in the night sky aren't called suns. They're called stars. We call the star closest to us "the sun."

Or am I completely wrong?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Its not going to go that low, i dont think

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Sun is a star.

All stars are a Sun if they have a planet around them? But they've been named by us. Locally to that star, you'd probably refer to it as "our Sun".

Sunday is literally Sun Day and Monday is Moon Day. Saturday is Saturn Day. THE MORE YOU KNOW DOT JPG

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Did you know that our Sun has no official name? It's just "the Sun"

Some people refer to it as "Sol" or "Helios" or a few other names, but on the books our sun has no name.

Same thing with our moon. And our Solar System in general.

I prefer Sol. Sometimes, when it shines in my face, I say, "What's up, Sol? Why you gotta bother me?" and people think I'm haunted by an Italian.

GungHo on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Sol and Luna are the most commmon terms I've seen.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    4859615458_54640599eb_b.jpg
    Nice. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm really tempted to replace my work background (currently; a pic from the chat thread of a baby Donkey/Zebra hybrid) with that.

Also, on a side note, on a scale of "1" to "Michael Baysplosions", how fucked are we?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Also, on a side note, on a scale of "1" to "Michael Baysplosions", how fucked are we?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    let me know when we get one big enough to penetrate the atmosphere
    i gonna go put some steaks up on my roof
    did anyone want chicken?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!