As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First day on the job

TalkaTalka Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got my first post-graduation job offer this morning, and I'm going to call the company back tomorrow and agree to their proposed salary. I have a few questions that, on their own, are all kind of silly. However, being able to get the little things right my first week would really calm my nerves and help ensure things go smoothly.
  • My university career center says you should always negotiate job offers. The one I received, however, feels incredibly generous and I'm reluctant to negotiate. First, it's a good bit higher than I said I was asking for during the hiring process. Second, this is a small-ish company (my office has seven other people). I think keeping things nice and friendly is worth more than any negligible salary increase I doubt I'd be able to pull off anyway. This seems like the standard entry offer, and I just want to take it. That's alright, right?
  • I don't know what to wear. Obviously the worst thing would be coming in underdressed. In past internships I just came in a suit and worked my way down over time to what everyone else was wearing. However, during my interview it seemed like a really casual atmosphere. Just about everyone I saw was in jeans and polos/dress-shirts (one girl in a skirt, one girl in jeans, all the guys in jeans I believe; this was a Tuesday so doubtful it was some kind of "casual" day). The VP that interviewed me was wearing jeans and a rolled up colorful button-up. Again, I don't want to be underdressed, but I was clearly overdressed wearing a suit to my interview. What's a good intermediate outfit that can guarantee I won't be underdressed, but won't make me stand out as way-too-overdressed? Now that I remember it, I don't really remember seeing very many people at all in suits during my time interviewing in San Francisco. Maybe it's a city culture thing.
  • What's the etiquette on names? During the interview process I used Ms./Mr./Mrs. for everyone, including people with the same position I was applying for. However, this is a small office with a casual atmosphere. I'm thinking of using Ms./Mr./Mrs. until someone asks me to stop or I hear everyone else being casual with names. That sounds reasonable, right?
  • What's the etiquette on lunches? This is something I never got a handle on in my internships, and was always awkward, especially on the first day. Ideally my new co-workers ask me out to eat to get to know me, otherwise I ask around about where people tend to eat. I just don't want to get in the practice of always eating alone, which happened in my internships.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm very excited/nervous to be starting my first real job, so I'm fretting about things I know are small change, but the more confident I am on that first day the better a first impression I can make.

Talka on

• Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not very good at the negotiation. If you are comfortable with your wage, I'd look at anything else, like vacation days or something. But I think overall it is fine if you are happy with it, but maybe someone who actually is good at negotiating can give better advice ;p

If everyone was very casual than if it is a cool day, you could wear your suit, a nice shirt with no tie and if you are over dressed, simply take off the jacket throughout the day. If it is hot, then I'd think leaving the jacket at home would be fine and that way you are not that much over dressed.

Names at jobs I've found people usually introduce themselves and that is normally what they want to be called. You can also take cues on what others call people (so if you notice everyone addresses the boss as Mr Boss, then follow suit), though that usually only works in that direction. If everyone is very casual or calls people by their nick names, best to wait a bit before calling them that unless they go oh everyone calls me blah.

Lunches I'd see what everyone else does. On your first day, unless it is crazy in the office, people will more than likely invite you out, especially if you are working with someone directly.

Tzyr on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Talka wrote: »
    • My university career center says you should always negotiate job offers. The one I received, however, feels incredibly generous and I'm reluctant to negotiate. First, it's a good bit higher than I said I was asking for during the hiring process. Second, this is a small-ish company (my office has seven other people). I think keeping things nice and friendly is worth more than any negligible salary increase I doubt I'd be able to pull off anyway. This seems like the standard entry offer, and I just want to take it. That's alright, right?

Yes!

In my experience smaller companies have a lot less room for negotiation anyway. Certainly in my company unless you have an incredible resume (which as a recent post-grad you won't) they're really not open to negotiation. If it sounds good, I'd take it.
    • I don't know what to wear. Obviously the worst thing would be coming in underdressed. In past internships I just came in a suit and worked my way down over time to what everyone else was wearing. However, during my interview it seemed like a really casual atmosphere. Just about everyone I saw was in jeans and polos/dress-shirts (one girl in a skirt, one girl in jeans, all the guys in jeans I believe; this was a Tuesday so doubtful it was some kind of "casual" day). The VP that interviewed me was wearing jeans and a rolled up colorful button-up. Again, I don't want to be underdressed, but I was clearly overdressed wearing a suit to my interview. What's a good intermediate outfit that can guarantee I won't be underdressed, but won't make me stand out as way-too-overdressed? Now that I remember it, I don't really remember seeing very many people at all in suits during my time interviewing in San Francisco. Maybe it's a city culture thing.

Working in the bay area (not quite San Fran, but almost!) I only see people in suits for business meetings. Even our CEO wears a polo shirt and slacks. I'd recommend slacks/other semi-smart pants and perhaps a shirt with the top button undone, something like that.
    • What's the etiquette on names? During the interview process I used Ms./Mr./Mrs. for everyone, including people with the same position I was applying for. However, this is a small office with a casual atmosphere. I'm thinking of using Ms./Mr./Mrs. until someone asks me to stop or I hear everyone else being casual with names. That sounds reasonable, right?

While I respect your wish to be polite, I think this may come off as too formal. Even in the exceedingly old-fashioned office in the UK I worked for Mr/Mrs/Ms were never used. I imagine people will introduce themselves by their first names; use these. (Also, the last thing you want to do is offend the executive staff with PhDs who tend to prefer Dr).
    • What's the etiquette on lunches? This is something I never got a handle on in my internships, and was always awkward, especially on the first day. Ideally my new co-workers ask me out to eat to get to know me, otherwise I ask around about where people tend to eat. I just don't want to get in the practice of always eating alone, which happened in my internships.

Asking around is good. There may be a lunch room. However, I find most people do tend to eat alone or have a working lunch unless a group specifically goes out. I'd just work on chatting to people and establishing relationships and hopefully lunches will follow!

Janson on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1. If the offer is what you want, you don't have to negotiate anything.
    2. Wear slacks and a button-down shirt. Considering what you saw everyone wearing this isn't going to be to ridiculously dressed-up for one day (and a suit would be way to dressed up from the sounds of it.)
    3. For people who are your peers you should definitely use first names unless other people aren't using them. Ms/Mr/Mrs is very formal.
    4. Ask around, make some friends, you'll figure out what the lunch deal is.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1) If you're happy with it, then take it. Don't negotiate just for the sake of negotiating. That line of thought comes from a (frequently correct) belief that a company is going to try to pay you as little as they think they can get away with, even if they can afford to offer more. If the pay is fair, then go with it. As has been said, at a small company, they generally have less to work with for negotiating anyway.

2) I'd go with jeans and polo or button down shirt with no tie. Maybe khakis and a button down shirt. If you're really unsure, just call up your manager and ask what would be appropriate. I've done this for several jobs since I've worked everywhere from slacks/button down shirt/tie every day to places where my PA Jesus is F'n Metal shirt is ok and no one has ever cared.

3) Honestly, I don't think I've ever worked ANYWHERE where Mr/Mrs/Ms were used. Even when I was 15 and on a state work permit I was on a first name basis with everyone where I worked, including managers. You'll probably get introduced to everyone your first day or two, too. If someone is introduced as Frank, call them Frank. If they're introduced as Mr. Smith, then call them Mr. Smith until it becomes clear that's not necessary.

4) Most likely someone will invite you out to lunch if you're at the sort of place that does that. If not, when you're hungry, ask what the policy for lunch is and what's available in the area and then you do the asking to see if anyone else wants to go.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, if the initial offer meets your requirements and is in the appropriate range for the position, just take it. I would check to make sure you're not being lowballed compared to other, similar positions though.

I would wear a suit. It's your first day; if you feel hideously overdressed just lose the coat and the tie, and come back in something more appropriate the next day. Like the sir/mr/ms question, this is really just a matter of observation.

The lunch thing totally depends on your office and how cohesive the staff is. Some offices have staff that lunch together; more common in my experience is that people just take their lunch when it's handy.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honestly if you tell us what your offer is and what field you're going to be working, folks will be able to tell you if you're doing alright. Course that's up to you, some people don't like to say how much they make. Mine's a matter of public record, as is everyone I work with so yeah kind of a ridiculous argument for me! haha

But really, as others have said if you're comfortable let it go. I WOULD bring up when appraisals will take place, how you will receive formal feedback, how often, etc. Also what progression will look like. Will you get yearly raises? Semi-annually? Quarterly? Bi-yearly?

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

[*]My university career center says you should always negotiate job offers. The one I received, however, feels incredibly generous and I'm reluctant to negotiate. First, it's a good bit higher than I said I was asking for during the hiring process.

Leave it be. If you're happy with the offer than there is absolutely no reason to upset the applecart for the fuck of it.

[*]I don't know what to wear. Obviously the worst thing would be coming in underdressed. In past internships I just came in a suit and worked my way down over time to what everyone else was wearing. However, during my interview it seemed like a really casual atmosphere. Just about everyone I saw was in jeans and polos/dress-shirts (one girl in a skirt, one girl in jeans, all the guys in jeans I believe; this was a Tuesday so doubtful it was some kind of "casual" day). The VP that interviewed me was wearing jeans and a rolled up colorful button-up. Again, I don't want to be underdressed, but I was clearly overdressed wearing a suit to my interview. What's a good intermediate outfit that can guarantee I won't be underdressed, but won't make me stand out as way-too-overdressed? Now that I remember it, I don't really remember seeing very many people at all in suits during my time interviewing in San Francisco. Maybe it's a city culture thing.

San Fransisco is a wierd fucking place. That said, I'd either ask or wear a suit until informed directly (ask, manual). The good thing about a suit is that once you take off the jacket and tie, you're business casual. Ain't noone gonna hate on business casual as overdressed.

[*]What's the etiquette on names? During the interview process I used Ms./Mr./Mrs. for everyone, including people with the same position I was applying for. However, this is a small office with a casual atmosphere. I'm thinking of using Ms./Mr./Mrs. until someone asks me to stop or I hear everyone else being casual with names. That sounds reasonable, right?

Yes.
    That's all I can think of right now. I'm very excited/nervous to be starting my first real job, so I'm fretting about things I know are small change, but the more confident I am on that first day the better a first impression I can make.

Good luck!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only time you'll want to use the formal title is if you work with a doctor, someone from another company that's higher ranked than you, or basically the CEO/CFO of a company.

Your supervisor and peers will probably all be on a first name basis with you. Only use the title when referring to them with someone outside the office.

Also, if you feel like you want to negotiate (and honestly there really isn't any reason not to) ask them if there's room for negotiation with the the offer. Pay, vacation, benefits, expense account. Ask what they would be willing to work with you on. You may not feel really good asking for 10 grand more a year, but how would you feel to have a $10,000 expense account? Or, an extra week of vacation or full health and dental with no payments from you a month? Stuff like that. Doesn't hurt to ask, the expense account is nice to have for things like resources where you may see something outside of work and can be comped for it. Or, you need a laptop or something.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1. You can negotiate if you want. If you don't want to, then don't. I've negotiated for about half of my gigs. But here's the thing to keep in mind: what do the rest of the benefits look like? Salary isn't the only thing that is negotiable.

Is the standard two weeks of vacation? Do you want three? Then ask for three. Feel free to explain that you're comfortable with that salary but you'd like if there was an additional week of vacation added to your offer. It'll cost the company a great deal less than paying you more.

That being said, you should spend an hour or two today and work out your budget to truly determine if their offer is going to meet your living expenses, food, car, savings, etc...

Also, something to ask about is their retirement policy. If they company match? Fantastic. If they don't, then maybe ask for a little more so that you can sock away the extra in savings.

There are a lot of factors to consider.

2. Do you own a suit? Wear the suit. From the sounds of the office, you can wear a suit without a tie and be just find. You'll catch some new guy grief for being overdressed but everyone there will understand that it's your first day and that you're simply trying to make the right impression. Day 2? Knock it down to a button down or polo with a pair of decent slacks. Day 3? If people are rocking jeans, then by all means. By then you should also be comfortable enough with your coworkers and bosses to ask OR you will have been given the employee handbook which will outline everything for you.

3. The naming thing is interesting. It really depends on the type of office environment. At most places? Well, you're an adult now. You can use people's first names. They'll be introduced to you by first name. It's just going to happen. It's all well and good to be polite and I applaud you for it, but I wouldn't get in too much of a bind about it. This is especially true of people who are in the same level of the company as you. If you want to call the person who interviewed you (I'm assuming your soon to be boss) and the owner of the company Mr./Ms. then by all means....but understand that it'll get correct rather quickly (most likely), just roll with it.

4. Lunches. Heh, I always try and figure this one out too. First day? I pack something in. Something simple so that I can get a gauge on what the place usually does. Ideally you won't be eating it and they'll take you out to lunch. Past that, do what your budget allows. Maybe there is a conference room or break room where people get together to nosh..maybe everyone eats at their desk. Just try and get a feel for it. My advice? Bring your lunch when you can to save some serious money and treat yourself to a lunch out once a week.

Beyond everything I've listed above, congrats on graduating and getting yourself a shiny new big boy job! That's pretty awesome. Remember though, this isn't an internship. You're more a part of this team now than ever before and can expect to be treated as such. Just relax and do your thing, they already like you enough to be willing to spend money on you.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I got my first post-graduation job offer this morning, and I'm going to call the company back tomorrow and agree to their proposed salary. I have a few questions that, on their own, are all kind of silly. However, being able to get the little things right my first week would really calm my nerves and help ensure things go smoothly.

From my experience, don't negotiate the salary. You're happy with the offer AND you don't exactly have a ton of experience under your belt. There's really no need to negotiate here.

Go in at business casual if you're iffy, you know, something like a polo shirt and khakis then work your way down from there once you're comfortable. It's completely normal for the new guy to show up overdressed, don't worry. You'll get chided a bit but it'll be in good fun.

For names? First names always, I've not found a boss or co-worker that prefers Mr/Mrs. If you're iffy just ask them what they prefer to be called. Really though, this is your team and you're on equal terms with them. The first name basis helps promote that.

For lunches? Just ask them if they mind if you tag along when they go for lunch. It's small so they probably all go together.

Good luck!

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, if my experience is right, the pay is probably more spectacular than the rest of the package to take your focus away from it. Be weary and check the whole shebang. Because you may find out that you're getting $75,000 a year but have no dental, or there's an $120 copay on your health insurance.

But again, not every company is run by raging douche-bags.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I second (third?) the business casual. As for lunch, yeah, bring a light lunch that can get you through the day if it has to, but won't spoil, then keep it a secret and try to feel out where to have lunch.

As for Mr./Mrs. I recommend strongly against it, especially with coworkers (non-bosses) as you'll want to have a friend attitude with them, not just a coworker attitude. Usually many of these questions can be asked on your first day of your boss when he's doing orientation, preferred attire is something I almost always ask.

Be submissive but friendly (like your being introduced to a friend's really close friends for the first time) to coworkers. These are the people who, ideally, will stick with you and tell you the ins and outs of the company.

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You said the offer seemed very generous, then you mentioned San Francisco, are you from SF?

If no, the offer may seem generous, if you live in the Midwest or somewhere else relatively cheap, but the Bay Area is EXPENSIVE. Make sure you understand the cost of living there in relation to what they are offering.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you like the offer take it. However, you could always try negotiating for things besides salary, like vacation time, if you want.

Just ask your new boss about what to wear. I would probably save jeans until you've been there a while. Khakis and a shirt should probably be a good compromise.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You said the offer seemed very generous, then you mentioned San Francisco, are you from SF?

If no, the offer may seem generous, if you live in the Midwest or somewhere else relatively cheap, but the Bay Area is EXPENSIVE. Make sure you understand the cost of living there in relation to what they are offering.

I completely missed that. Yeah, SF is expensive. So, again, $75,000 may seem like royal pay to someone in the midwest, where an apartment is $500 a month for two bedrooms with heat and hot water, but in SF a 1 bedroom apartment with nothing included but parking will run you anywhere from 1500-4000 a month.

Now try to live the rest of the year off that other $400 a month after taxes.

Just make sure you did all your research.
    http://www.bestplaces.net/col

That's frightening to know I'd have to get paid as much as they pay doctors here to keep my same CoL in SF.

bowen on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm not from the SF originally, no. But yeah, the position is in downtown SF. The offer is between 50-60k a year, which still seems generous given that it's an entry level position with lots of growth potential for which I'm not even necessarily all that qualified. Also, I can find housing for $800-1000 a month. I've been trying to use salary.com and glassdoor.com to find comparable salary ranges and those sites (and my university center) were telling me to expect something in the ballpark of 45-50k for an entry SF position. And again, it's a small company, and my understanding is that 1) it's more rare for them to negotiate salaries and 2) they pay slightly less than big companies anyways. All in all, it felt like the offer was the best I could expect to get.

Talka on
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Congrats on the job, Talka. I think everyone's covered everything, and all of the answers are quite similar. For the lunch thing, I'd say to be really friendly and don't be the kind of guy that eats alone everyday.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It depends on the atmosphere. If it's a small office, you can probably go with first names unless you hear people call each other "Mr."/"Ms.". If it's the owner of the company, you can go to "Mr."/"Ms.". Around my job, I'll sometimes do "Mr."/"Ms." with the VPs in meetings or if I don't know them, but anyone below that, not so much, and we're pretty formal. But, I'm not a line employee and this is a big corp.
    Ask people where they go to lunch and who is in the "lunch bunch". You don't want to necessarily horn in and force everyone else to be your friend, but you may have to open the door and let them know you're interesting in going to lunch with folks. Hell, maybe even invite them to go somewhere you read about on urbanspoon.com that's near the office (and a decent price) that you want to try since you're new in town.
    Good luck!

GungHo on
  • Options
    anonymityanonymity __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Ask about benefits. While some companies may use standard deals for certain jobs, most employers like to open low to allow for haggling. There may be some benefit you can talk your way into, or some sort of catch which causes the pay to be unexpectedly high.

Try to wear what your interviewer wore unless he was wearing something that seems inappropriate for his station. The general advice is to dress like the next rank up, with the caveat being that specific members of that rank may not dress their rank (usually due to being semi-slobs) so you have to figure out what the next rank up is expected to wear. Your interviewer is likely to be your boss or a peer of your boss, and would have been dressed as he likes to present himself to present the company in a positive light. Most places should be happy with a dark twill sport coat and light slacks.

anonymity on