As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RADlands - Original Thread #18 MINT CONDITION $200 OBO **WILL ACCEPT TRADES**

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what have i become

toolate.png

Squall on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is what happens when you lock a thread on Page 97 Squall.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've had it done TWICE now

NO REGRETS

edit: and now I'm leaving for Ohio, later duders

Squall on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guess who's gonna watch mean girls?
    Should give me some character ideas for the next campaign.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For the first time?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gonna watch die hard this weekend and take notes to cook up a the perfect action character

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For the first time?

Yeah. It's not a movie I'd normally go out of my way to watch.

But when you have a bunch of hairy, muscly dudes from the forums recommend it over and over, well, you get the idea.

edit: Watch some Bruce Lee movies while you're at it, Toms. Should give you a well-rounded education.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I liked it, but honestly I don't get the huge amount of praise it gets.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You also thought Jacob was boring.

I'll keep my hopes up, thank you very much. :P

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I need a new character idea for Gloss 3

I like my composer guy, but at this point I am basically terrified of pulling another RADLands and getting bored with the character after a month of playing. It took three tries to get a character I like for this game and I don't want that to happen again.

Grizzwald is neat and I think he has a cool power but I'm concerned that I don't have anywhere to go with him.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I already have a few ideas

One of them is a magic clown

the other is a professional wrestler

the other others are secreeetttt

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I spend a lot of time creating a character, Speed, working out a ton of different angles before a new idea hits me, and clicks.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I come up with a bunch of ideas and then mentally lay those out

Then, I decide which one would be most fun to play before working on that idea's backstory, abilities, flaws, ect

or at least I've been trying to do this

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What is the theme of Gloss 3? Is it still in RADlands?

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    nope

Big city/state in a world that follows narrative law instead of the normal laws of reality

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HellaJeff wrote: »

Gloss 3 is modern day in an alternate universe where physics are dictated by narrative significance. Time literally slows down when someone is diving for an off-switch as a countdown is about to hit zero, gasoline barrels do explode when you shoot them, that sort of thing.

Obviously it has led to a very different society than the one in the real world but it's still similar in a number of ways.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    slow but detail oriented and generally more useful racer

8-)

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually already drew my next character :P
    just gotta upload him to photobucket

Antimatter on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't yet

an entire person is harder to draw then a head with legs

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Gloss 3 is modern day in an alternate universe where physics are dictated by narrative significance. Time literally slows down when someone is diving for an off-switch as a countdown is about to hit zero, gasoline barrels do explode when you shoot them, that sort of thing.

Obviously it has led to a very different society than the one in the real world but it's still similar in a number of ways.

Is this narrative a being? Or just the laws that we have seen in picture films and books adapted to the game?

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    someone help me find dead's first post on narrative law

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    it's like Brannigan's Law
    but less sexy

Antimatter on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so I think I'm back for good this time

the past couple weeks have been nothing but a series of unpleasant events and I didn't feel like Glossing all that much

but now I'm at school again and things suddenly seem much better

I still haven't read everything from the last thread, but I saw the way R.B. went out. I'm alright with it, think I'll just watch RADlands wrap up and work on a Gloss 3 character

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    wait
    R.B. went out? what? nooooooooooooooo

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Is this narrative a being? Or just the laws that we have seen in picture films and books adapted to the game?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

I will just wait until someone links DE?AD's post. Thanks though!

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lockout wrote: »

the past couple weeks have been nothing but a series of unpleasant events and I didn't feel like Glossing all that much

I still haven't read everything from the last thread, but I saw the way R.B. went out. I'm alright with it, think I'll just watch RADlands wrap up and work on a Gloss 3 character

RB didn't go out, it was left nebulous so you can make your choice!

talk to de?ad so you can make your decision on what happened and get back in!

Because we still have at least a few more months of RADlands, dudicus

Raneados on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    also i think this is most of the stuff de?ad+dubh have posted about the new setting
    As for the narrative thing...

Our own physical laws are the baseline, but Narrative Law supersedes them as necessary. People do know about narrative law, and it is a measurable, repeatable thing - there are Narrativists, who study the structure of Microplots, Plots, and Macroplots. Knowledge of specific cliches, tropes, and what have you is actually about as common as it is in our world, it just actually applies there. Irony is actually a thing that became prevalent in the narrative community in the late 80s, claiming that the outcome of any given action can be altered just by stating its intended result - collapsing its narrative wavelength into a single point that corresponds to the exact opposite of the stated effect. Actually proving it is difficult, as it only function correctly under certain conditions.

Some people have a natural affinity for gathering spotlight and some don't. Who the spotlight clings to is still one of those things in debate by the Narrativists. The current favored theory is that the universe acts as observer to all events occurring within it, and narrative pull is granted to those who manage to gain its attention. This "Unseen Audience" theory is largely dismissed as silly, due to the implied sentience of the universe.

Governments survive largely by staying in the background. As long as a government is just okay, it doesn't need to enter prominently into most narratives. This is what happens with most "extras" as well - they are spared the more drastic whims of narrative simply be garnering less spotlight.

In general, the more you stay in the Spotlight, the greater the sway it has on your actions. So a lot of people are merely unaffected.

Alright, in the next week or so DE?AD is gonna be test-running the new system while he runs the RADlands. There will only be a few slots available, because a mass exodus to a test run will make the new adventure a little, uh, permanent. And we want to finish the RADlands.

Should the test run go well, RADlands will completely switch over to the new system. Now, what does this entail?

-Your Hero, Lancer, Heart, etc. roles are specific for the next campaign. We will be using Mutant, Robot, Freaker, Psycher and Human meta-traits, still. And they will be just a little more fancy.

-Spotlight will in play. Be awesome, be rewarded. This makes Burning Spirit Extraneous, so Spotlight gains could be doubled for Humans, or something cool like that.

-Ambient RAD will go away because it makes DE?AD cry. And it was pretty silly spending one round blowing RAD, and the next five recharging reserves and lowering the ambient RAD. This will mean that Minicrashes are something a little more... plot effecting and major (hooray).

Anyways, not sure when the next update will be, but I'm almost certain it wont happen today.

As Dubh said, we haven't done everything at once yet.

As I've said, the whole point of the next game is a world where narrative law supersedes physical law - physics are still there, as an undercurrent, but the concept of narrative is a much more powerful force.

So you've got a world, essentially like ours, but where the concept of a story can bend reality. Their history parallels ours, for the most part, but in the same way a TV show parallels reality - things are bigger, more dramatic, etc. Hitlerion didn't die in a bunker, he was thrown of the roof of a tower during a heavy storm, after fighting a rag-tag group of elite soldiers assembled, one each, from the allied nations. Julius Frederick Kennaedius was assassinated by a highly-trained Russian super-spy, not some schmuck. Excalibur has been passed from king to king in England for as long as they've had kings. The Great Wall fully surrounds China, and Australia is still a penal colony for the world's most dangerous criminals.

Wind kicks up when someone makes a dramatic speech. People can shrug off ridiculous wounds with the right incentive. Swords can cut bullets in half. It will rain on the worst day of your life, and the sun or moon will always break through the clouds when things turn around for you.

Since narrative tends to build on itself, many areas are, essentially, locked into a genre - simply because they've been following a narrative flow for long enough to do so. The world at large averages out to, essentially modern-day, but there are places with vastly advanced or incredibly primitive societies. Get in your car, drive twenty miles east and you could stumble on a rural little village where the local Liege-lord has been taxing the peasants too heavily. Drive north and you might hit another city where there're riots going on due to a rather unpopular bill declaring robots sentient beings with all the rights that entails.

The game will spend a bunch of time in Central City, which is exactly what it sounds like. Central City is L.A. and New York combined - a massive, sprawling metropolis that's only been around about a hundred years or so, but bloated with fame, fortune, and global significance. It determines elections all across the globe, it determines what is hot and what is not, Central City currency and identification is accepted pretty much everywhere, and the whole fucking world dances to its heartbeat. They say there're a million stories in the naked city, and they are underestimating.

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lockout wrote: »

R.B.'s MIA. He's not necessarily KIA.

Unless you don't want to play him anymore. At least roll a new dude up!

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need you, Lock!

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    WE need you, Lock!

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So Gloss 1 was based partially on Mass Effect
    Gloss 2 is based partially on Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2
    What RPG is Gloss 3 gonna partially be based on?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gloss 2 actually takes little to no inspiration from Fallout 3.

More like Mass Effect 2 and Gurren Lagann.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Well I mean

it started at the height of FO3's popularity and takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland with robots, mutants, and raiders

also rad is the abbreviated term for radiation that everyone uses in FO3

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Discworld?

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    NeoToma wrote: »

Discworld?

kinda

they do use the narrative thing a lot

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dr. McNinja.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    NeoToma wrote: »

Discworld?

kinda

they do use the narrative thing a lot

one in a million shot

Antimatter on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah kinda I guess

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hits every time.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
This discussion has been closed.