Options

The road not taken

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Defender, I had an opportunity to head out to Redmond and work as a tester for Ensemble Studios and Microsoft. All of this was thanks to a man who's been working in the industry since Pole Position. You know what he told me when I went all fanboy on him out of gratitude?

"Making games is great, but games won't have dinner with me every night, nor do I get to read my work a bedtime story."

That was two-and-a-half years ago and I'm still in Dallas. Guess why?

Because you prefer a flat brown state filled with ignorant pride-filled rednecks to a state with rolling green hills, luscious scenery and one of the greatest tech job markets in the US?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Defender, I had an opportunity to head out to Redmond and work as a tester for Ensemble Studios and Microsoft. All of this was thanks to a man who's been working in the industry since Pole Position. You know what he told me when I went all fanboy on him out of gratitude?

"Making games is great, but games won't have dinner with me every night, nor do I get to read my work a bedtime story."

Tony Romo?!

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

You wrongly bet on a doomed relationship?

naporeon on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    you know how ironic it would be if you accepted a job with Ubi's PoP team, and they had you working on development for the Wii? :o

AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You guys are great.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    if I didn't have the balls to just get up and move away from my family (and at the time, my girlfriend of a year) 5 years ago I wouldn't be where I am now....

in a cubicle maekin poast

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Note to self: Never end a semi-serious post with an open-ended question.

Know why?

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Know why?
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Know why?
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?
    What have we done?

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    you should at least go through with the interview process just to find out what they're offering.
    That's what I said Slung.

Best case scenario, you get your current employer to make a better offer.

denihilist on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    denihilist wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:
    you should at least go through with the interview process just to find out what they're offering.
    That's what I said Slung.

Best case scenario, you get your current employer to make a better offer.

worst case, you can blame me and deni for giving you horrible advice!

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Goethe wrote:
    "Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now."

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:

Because you bet on a domed stadium?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wise_a wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

I only bet on a sure thing.

a "drug store handicap" as they say.

seriously though. defender. take the job. if it all works out you can fly to see them like every night after work (maybe not that much)

why does she not want to move away from her family now?

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:

Yeah at the very least, the networking angle would be good.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's a little off-putting to hear that the girl you see yourself marrying will straight-up leave you if you get a job in California, but clearly there's more to the decision than that.

To be fair, it's more like me forcing her to choose me over her current job, and friends, and her family. Which, for her, is a bad choice.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:

Yeah at the very least, the networking angle would be good.

that's pretty much it, yeah

most of the time, guys like that totally understand the inability to move that far at this point in your life, but it will open doors for you down the road for opportunities later in life.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have been offered a job at a competing firm with a 20% raise. However, I really enjoy the clients and people that I work with currently. What do I do?

Jester313 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jester313 wrote:
    I have been offered a job at a competing firm with a 20% raise. However, I really enjoy the clients and people that I work with currently. What do I do?

go to the other company and take the clients with you.

dur.

Slungsolow on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jester313 wrote:

any way you can use that as a bargaining chip with your current firm?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    you know how ironic it would be if you accepted a job with Ubi's PoP team, and they had you working on development for the Wii? :o

Prepare to see some 1:1 swordfighting in Assassin's Creed 2: The Creedening.

Defender on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    It's a little off-putting to hear that the girl you see yourself marrying will straight-up leave you if you get a job in California, but clearly there's more to the decision than that.

To be fair, it's more like me forcing her to choose me over her current job, and friends, and her family. Which, for her, is a bad choice.

I'd give it all up for you.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:

Assassin's Creed 2: Ass Harder

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    commie wrote:

Because she loves her family and wants to live near them and see them often. I also like to see my family, mainly my mother, frequently. My retarded sister is usually not around, just on holidays and crap like that.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    oh god speaking of which

any good retarded sister stories from these recent holidays, Defender?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wise_a wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

TWO MEN ENTER

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I think I like and love my family more because I moved away.

Slungsolow on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, my career ambitions are totally different than Defender's, so I can't think of what I would choose in an analogous situation, because there really isn't an analogous situation for me.

It's not like there's a company for creative writers that will offer me a job as a Novel Writer.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    commie wrote:

Because she loves her family and wants to live near them and see them often. I also like to see my family, mainly my mother, frequently. My retarded sister is usually not around, just on holidays and crap like that.

either way that sounds like bad news since there aren't exactly millions of graphics design companies in PA or wherever you are.

I've heard of a lot of places letting you work from home, where you just send in your finished (most recent) work. maybe they would just let you video conference in during team meetings or whatever. (though it's a long shot) i guess you could always have them reduce your pay and do that.

:| sounds bad though.

I would kill half the production team to work there though. I start college for it in the Fall (i hope)

• Options
    edited January 2007
    oh god speaking of which

New season starts Sunday with my cousin's wife having a baby shower! Her entire family has not met Julie because she wasn't able to attend the wedding. Two of her three sisters are models. I'm not going, obviously, because it's a baby shower, but Kate will be there.

Defender on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:

Do whatever is best for you, your family, Kate, and your career and do it

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    oh god speaking of which

New season starts Sunday with my cousin's wife having a baby shower! Her entire family has not met Julie because she wasn't able to attend the wedding. Two of her three sisters are models. I'm not going, obviously, because it's a baby shower, but Kate will be there.

I'm setting my Tivo now to record.

This ought to be fucking priceless.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    oh god speaking of which

WHOO! :o

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bogey wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    oh god speaking of which

you bolded the wrong part, Bogey!

(pix plz Defender k thx)

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bogey wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    oh god speaking of which

you bolded the wrong part, Bogey!

(pix plz Defender k thx)

Dude they are like seven-foot-tall sticks.

EDIT: And I won't be there.

Defender on
  • Options
    Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Jester313 wrote:

go to the other company and take the clients with you.

dur.

That's a good idea, except that company I would be going to has larger clients. It'd be going from budgets of $250,000 to 1.5 to 2 million bucks.

I don't know if the new firm would want the clients.

Jester313 on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The bananaphone road was not taken

should have had some sort of question at the end

or said how i've been listening to this song for aobut an hour, and lemme tell you, it puts you in a good mood

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Akilae729 wrote:

or said how i've been listening to this song for aobut an hour, and lemme tell you, it puts you in a good mood

man bogey is on the ball today.

you can't sneak that past him

he's 2 fast

2 furious

• Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's like one thread suicide caused copycat thread suicides.

Homeless on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    commie wrote:
    Akilae729 wrote:

man bogey is on the ball today.

you can't sneak that past him

he's 2 fast

2 furious

beeeeichtes, whateve, maybe ill try again later be like, Do you fools like bananphone

does this thread drive you bananas?

Is your new smart phone Bananular?

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg