As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bitching Thread V: Out of Continuity and in Another Reality

• Options
    Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I'm going to start trying to move to trades too. Hopefully the prices of trades will drop along with the price of singles.

I'll still collect some titles monthly (ASM, couple X-titles, GL - damn DC trade dept) but for independent and maybe some other Marvel/DC stuff I'm in the process of waiting for certain arcs to end to move to trades.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My bitch is that Thor and the Warriors Four was supposed to come out this week (so I thought) and did not see it. I grab trades for anything that isn't part of my core books, only because I want to read what's going on, but am not invested in it. Really, I'm holding off on an iPad until digital is stable - I'll still get my ASM just because I love watching that collection grow, and do enjoy the character, but everything else I want digital and be able to read at whim anywhere and anytime.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My bitch is that Thor and the Warriors Four was supposed to come out this week (so I thought) and did not see it. I grab trades for anything that isn't part of my core books, only because I want to read what's going on, but am not invested in it. Really, I'm holding off on an iPad until digital is stable - I'll still get my ASM just because I love watching that collection grow, and do enjoy the character, but everything else I want digital and be able to read at whim anywhere and anytime.

It is out, in that miniature format that they used for Runaways, Marvel adventures.

Saw it today at my lcs.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I'm going to start trying to move to trades too. Hopefully the prices of trades will drop along with the price of singles.

I'll still collect some titles monthly (ASM, couple X-titles, GL - damn DC trade dept) but for independent and maybe some other Marvel/DC stuff I'm in the process of waiting for certain arcs to end to move to trades.

basically all of the x-books suck. i might just drop them and say screw it to xmen continuity. AND YOU BETTER START BUYING SECRET SIX. AT LEAST 4 COPIES. A WEEK.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not all of the X-Men books are bad.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

It is out, in that miniature format that they used for Runaways, Marvel adventures.

Saw it today at my lcs.

Bastards! I couldn't find it! I'll have to look Weds...

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »

Legacy is great and I expect the quality of UXM to jump right up when Gillen joins the team

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »

Legacy is great and I expect the quality of UXM to jump right up when Gillen joins the team

X-Factor is good. The first issue of Uncanny X-Force was good as well. Weapon X was good and Aaron's Wolverine has been good.

Dunno where all the crappy book are.

And I have to it's awesome for Gillen to be joining Uncanny. I had no idea he was until you said so. No wonder he left RPS.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gillen on Uncanny is fantastic, and it let's Fraction concentrate on Thor and Iron Man.

BTW when does Gillen start on the book?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Issue #531

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I know Greg Land drawing UXM should prevent me from getting it but honestly I just don't care. I'll be getting it in trade format anyway.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    didnt know the creative team was changing for uncanny; i guess i'll keep it on my pull. xforce wasnt terrible, but i want more stuff like sex and violence, and thats not gonna happen.

my bitch was more that im just having a hard time caring about the smaller plot threads in uncanny, like the stuff with emma frost, namor, kitty pryde, and i doubt the 5 new mutant characters will be all that interesting. but yes, i exaggerated.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not really bitching but the current Ultimate Avengers arc had that little Dare Devil kid in it. A guy at work and myself refer to him as Sweet Tooth Dare Devil becuase he reminds us of Lemire's Sweet Tooth vertigo book.

Algertman on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Frankly, I wish every single one of the 5 mutants told the X-men to go fuck themselves, but nope. Apparently they need more time to worship Hope for secretly being Jean Grey.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am committed to never spending money on anything Greg Land is involved in.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am committed to never spending money on anything Greg Land is involved in.

Understandable, but since it's both Fraction AND Gillen writing I can't pass that up.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I went to the store for the first time in months. It turns out I missing quite a bunch of "Frankencastle." I am missing 19 and 20, and the Dark Wolverine issues. I'm torn. I want to get the trade (trades?) of this story arc, because I am moving away from single issues. So I need four, maybe five comics. That's 12 or 15 dollars, plus tax. I can probably get the trade for 20 dollars when it comes out. So now what I am going to do with all of these singles?

The entire Frankencastle story will be collected in an over-sized format with the hardcover coming out next month at 40 retail. If you already have half the story you might be better off hunting down the remaining single issues.

Amazon has it for 27 dollars.

Yeah I know, I just thought you might be better off getting the single issues since you already have half the story. But the hardcover is a good deal right now as well, I just don't like to double dip between singles and collections.

Yeah I don't like to double-buy either, but I am missing The List, 19, 20 and the Dark Wolverine issues. Grr. I am finished with non-indie singles.

(moved from motw thread because I am just bitching now.)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Douglas are you not near any comic shops? Because the only 3.99 book you need is the List issue and all the other's I believe are just 2.99.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Douglas are you not near any comic shops? Because the only 3.99 book you need is the List issue and all the other's I believe are just 2.99.

That's still (4 + 3 x 4) 16 dollars.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Superman is now a superdick to Dick, in that kind of "I'm Superman, you're just Robin" type conversations. JMS sure doesn't know how those two would interact for being such a fan of Superman. Kind of as bad as that S/B issue where Clark is all "You can't wear that costume take it off."

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is 703 out now?

Are you still reading that stuff, Tex? Shame on you.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nope, read the first 6 pages, couldn't get through it, and went on to pick up my pull list this week.

Just flipped through to see if JMS killed Krypto or Jimmy Olsen yet and made it Superman's fault. Although if any villains attack Superman on his little walk, Dick says it will be his fault.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Superman doesn't care about mainstreet.

Apparently there was a plot twist with Kandor in 703. Does anyone know what it was? Maybe we should assign a single reader to this book just so we can know how/if/when it affects continuity.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Superman is now a superdick to Dick, in that kind of "I'm Superman, you're just Robin" type conversations. JMS sure doesn't know how those two would interact for being such a fan of Superman. Kind of as bad as that S/B issue where Clark is all "You can't wear that costume take it off."

I liked Superman/Dick conversations in Nightwing with Fabian. Much better than this strawman conversation that feels more like a poorly written Bruce Bat than Dick Bat. And can we go oen single fucking issue without Superman being a dick to black people? I dont want to subcribe to the whoel racism thing, but every single issue has him berating a black man or black people doing some kind of crime while dem good honest white folk are the good people.

KVW on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Superman doesn't care about mainstreet.

Apparently there was a plot twist with Kandor in 703. Does anyone know what it was? Maybe we should assign a single reader to this book just so we can know how/if/when it affects continuity.

Sounds like someone just volunteered, Hadji. :P

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We should make a paypal account for it and we all donate spare change, this way no one is contributing too much haha. And with any left over we can just donate to child's play or something more worthy.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That is not a bad idea.

We could have a rotating team so no one has to do it more than once every 90 days.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here are the first few pages, free of charge

They didn't upload those until this afternoon, and kind of obvious why.

Dick's never been as bad as Bruce in terms of shunning people and (essentially) his humanity, ever ever. While he will always be loyal to Bruce first, he knows Clark is the most human meta out there and they have a really good friendship. It's not as close as Dick/Tim are, but it's up there.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, that felt really strange. I saw it a couple hours ago, and I was surprised that so many of the comments were positive. The worst part was when Dick says Supes doesn't care about mainstreet. That is just super awkward.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Here are the first few pages, free of charge

They didn't upload those until this afternoon, and kind of obvious why.

Dick's never been as bad as Bruce in terms of shunning people and (essentially) his humanity, ever ever. While he will always be loyal to Bruce first, he knows Clark is the most human meta out there and they have a really good friendship. It's not as close as Dick/Tim are, but it's up there.

Dick NAMED HIMSELF AFTER SUPERMAN. For 25 years he was running around with a big "I get my inspiration from both Batman AND Superman" sign

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That too.

I need to read Nightwing Year One again, such a good story. It was mentioned before that story (the name idea) but it does it so succinctly.

And there was an Action Comics issue where Dick was investigating someone connected to Blockbuster in Metropolis, and basically sat out on roof letting Superman act as his telescope/listening device while he had some soup. Good times.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha oh god. "THE AVERAGE GUY ISN'T OUR PROBLEM" -- BATMAN.

Lux on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did they have to say "the average guy" that often?

Anyway, I like the idea of seeing Superman walking down the street like Forest Gump. Rock on.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lux wrote: »

Batman's whole thing is that he knows he's most likely going to die because he was slightly too slow and some random thug took him out.

It's one of the many, many, reasons Batman didn't want Dick to take up the mantle.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did they have to say "the average guy" that often?

Anyway, I like the idea of seeing Superman walking down the street like Forest Gump. Rock on.
    You like the idea of it? It's what is currently happening.

And like, bad.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Lux wrote: »

Batman's whole thing is that he knows he's most likely going to die because he was slightly too slow and some random thug took him out.

It's one of the many, many, reasons Batman didn't want Dick to take up the mantle.

"LISTEN, I WRANGLE HUMAN CROCODILES. GUYS WITH GUNS ARE NOT MY THING." -- BATMAN.

Lux on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, just read those few pages and it looks like JMS superman is just as terrible as I'd heard.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sadly IGN comics, who usually have intelligent reviews, gave JMS's Superman a high score this week.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That whole "superheroes don't belong the world of normal people" thing sort of ignores the obvious fact that both Batman and Superman have hidden identities. Just take off the costume.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The first page of Superman #703 is so bad.

"--And you don't want to go back to prison again, do you?"
    "No."
    "No, sir."
    "No, sir."

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind