As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OOC [Dark Sun] Shattered Lands

• Options
    DavidalBarronDavidalBarron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You are free to make any character you like as long as they are indeed at least vaguely heroic, but that's just for "party cohesion". Pulp can be quite dark.

I'm seeing three characters. We need at least two more before we can start this thing. Spirit of the Century runs on character aspects, so the more the merrier.

DavidalBarron on
    Murphy Fogg, psioniCat and his thrall Edwin Cocalas, wizard

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    KiplingskatKiplingskat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quickly checking in. I'll work on mine when I get home, and should have it up sometime tonight.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    Zombie_Lord_DemusZombie_Lord_Demus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    :D Yay! I'm glad you all like Ace. SOTC is extremely fun to come up with ideas for characters. I think i hashed out like 3 before him and 5 since. Anywhere from the EXTREME SCI-FI
    Johnny Comet the man of the future. His space craft crashed in the past and now he has to adjust to this era. With raygun in one hand and a pinup girl in the other.
    to the classic Pulp
    Jack Irons the rough and tumble, 2 fisted detective
    or even
    Duke Wellington TRUE Adventurer. Rich, adventure seeker, with a heart of gold (well maybe fool's gold)... Aspect include "Immune to your Supernatural ways", "Aw, we meet again...", "Its a trap!", "Innocent blood on these hands"
    and yes even
    Drake Rockhand "The Midnighter" pulp Superhero....

Ace ended up a "mash" of other characters.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Velma Valentine
    Sassy, cigar smoking pilot adventurer/explorer for hire, newfound curiosity in the Occult, alleged ex-Mob Moll.

Aspects:
    1) “If it has wings and an engine, I can fly it.”
    2) Bombshell Barrage!
    3) Epic Poker Face
    4) "What’s this thing do?”
    5) Vampy Vixen
    6) Globetrotter Extrordinaire
    7) "Some call it arrogance, I call it self-awareness."
    8) “If I ever see that Xander Drake bastard again, I’ll….”
    9) Aspect Nine
    10) Aspect Ten

Skills:
    Superb - Pilot
    Great - Guns, Rapport
    Good - Engineering, Contacting, Empathy
    Fair - Athletics, Drive, Alertness, Resources
    Average - Mysteries, Deceit, Fists, Gambling, Resolve

Stunts:
    Acrobat [Athletics]
    You are able to perform any number of impressive acrobatic feats. Difficulties assigned for complex maneuvers while acting (e .g walking on a tightrope, doing brain surgery while hanging from a trapeze) are reduced by two. Falling rolls gain a +2 bonus. When used acrobatically, your Athletics skill can never be used to restrict another skill, only complement it.
    Walk the Walk [Contacting]
    The character’s travels have taken her to every corner of the globe. Her familiarity with the streets and peoples of the world allow her to function easily, at home and abroad. The character never suffers any additional difficulty from unfamiliar circumstances when Contacting.
    Two Gun Jill [Guns]
    Normally, shooting with two guns just looks cool without providing a bonus. With this stunt, a character firing two weapons has a decisive advantage.
    Any time this character uses two guns and hits a target for at least one stress, the stress of the hit is increased by one (meaning, essentially, that he never hits a target for less than two stress, when she hits).
    Furthermore, any defense against maneuvers to deprive the character of either of her guns is improved by one. The two belong together, after all, in the hands of a Two Gun Jill.
    Barnstormer [Pilot]
    This pilot can squeeze her plane through places where it has no business fitting. Normally, a pilot can spend a fate point for a coincidence or declaration to assure that the plane has enough clearance space to fly through. Characters with this stunt never need to spend a fate point: if it could fit, it can. What’s more, if your character does spend a fate point, she can fit the plane in places it absolutely should not be able to. This stunt is also useful for landing planes in improbably tight quarters.
    Personal Aircraft [Pilot]
    You have a personal aircraft that you own or have the exclusive right to fly. In all respects, this stunt functions like the Custom Ride stunt (page XX). Please refer to that stunt for details.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And the latest recruit is up! Hopefully I was on the right track and didn't do anything overtly wrong/ridiculous.

I also went for Dan's open ended approach for Aspects, since I like the idea that they can be double-edged swords. That said, let me know if I should provide some clarification for any or all of them.

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    MendokusaiMendokusai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    she looks fantastic! Mila will have no idea how to relate to her in the slightest. ^_^

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yay! Let's hear it for potentially awkward character relations!

Also....Velma will be convinced Mila is a guy until unequivocally proven otherwise. :o

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can't wait for BOMBSHELL BARRAGE!.

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    EPIC POKERFACE! love it

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Good stuff, four solid characters. Don't worry about inspecific Aspects, they'll evolve over time as they get invoked and compelled. Same goes with backstory, you can just declare that as you go along and see if anybody believes you.

I'll put up the official thread with a "The Five Rules of Pulp" post (some very important stuff!) and an "Intro" post with some squishy stuff for your characters to chew on before Saturday when I've caught up on some writing and while we wait on a fifth character. It will come as very little surprise that abruptly introducing a new character is really quite easy in this game, though. I'll do one of those RPGnetwiki things if I remember.

In the meantime, instead of my doing what I was originally going to do and interview each of you about your enemy via PM, I'd like you to come with two aspects and a suggested Primary Skill for that villain. Your character has encountered this jerk before and knows at least this much about the fellow. If you come up with more than two aspects, throw them all in the stew, but I can only guarantee two of them will attach themselves to the character. The rest would probably be good starts toward probing for the rest, though. (Remember that you WANT to find all 10, because that's more crap for you to tag when punching these guys.)

This is going to be a highly Player-shaped game, so throw your Creativity to MAX and don't worry too much about quality. Pulp Quality (PQ) happens when we're having large quantities of fun.

Edit: Actually, I totally forgot I'd already written the whole Intro and so forth so here's the Thread! Fun. Do your thing all over it.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can I invite someone to join the game? my friend Steffan would be happy to join in.. he's a veteran of rpgs but hasn't played this one yet, hence his interest... can he be our 5th?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sure! Have him throw up a character sheet here (until I can make a wiki), then join in the Thread.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    feeddannowfeeddannow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm sure David will say yes, if he's terrible then we will just hold you responsible ;)

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yay! he will post soon. ^___^

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The Dreaded Sky-Pirate Roberts
    Enemy to Ace Steel, Sky-pirate, adventure seeker, all around douche bag

Aspects:
    1) "Pride is my favorite sin..."
    2) Atomic Zeppelin
    3) Pirate Code of honor
    4) Beyond Fear.

Suspected primary skills: Resolve, Alertness

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    IrishopilisIrishopilis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Loving the characters so far. Aspects are so fun to play with.

Irishopilis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    By the way, I am the new guy, Steffan. It'll be fun to try out this system, never done pulp before.

Irishopilis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heh. I like "Pride is my favorite sin..." That's an example of a double-edged aspect, cats and kittens.

Welcome, Steffan, to the madness. All pulp means is that you'll not be graded for spelling errors, and you are actively encouraged to type in whatever pops into your head at the time. No worries, not much editing. Just put together a character, post it here, then wander over to The Thread to figure out what book that character will be in first.

ANYWAYS

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    5 eras... Lets make it one SUPER ERA! One with Nazis in the trenches and the exploration of the world still had that new feel (archeology always welcome)... and on the USA front Gangsters are running the black market for all our goods that are in short supply due to The War.

Eh, seems more like a pipe dream kind of world. With little sense. other then THE ERA.... i'm fine with any era. I like alot of aspects from each era.

Oh... and Hello new guy, Steffan! :: yes i did just wave at my laptop:: :P O_o

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Murphey O'Malley

Aspects:
    "I am advanced for my age" - Only the spry young age of 15.
    "Steamy Punk" - Tends to be irrational and hot-headed against members of authority.
    "Drink Tank" *
    "Dammit, Janet!" **
    "Lead (or some other type of metal) Foot" - Signature Metal Boots
    "Magna cum La-De-Da" - Genius who hates other geniuses
    "Push the Red Button" - Usually installs red buttons onto objects that cause both dangerous and exciting effects
    "School of Hard Knocks" - He learns from mistakes, and he makes a lot of them.
    "Dropkick Murphy!" - The boots are made for stomping, and thats just what they do.
    Aspect 10

Skills:
    Superb - Engineering
    Great - Science, Empathy
    Good - Resolve, Might, Resources
    Fair - Science, Sleight of Hand, Endurance, Gambling
    Average - Rapport, Academics, Guns, Alertness, Athletics

Stunts:
    Weird Science
    Mad Science
    Mister Fix-It
    Headquarters
    Grease Monkey

*Gets Smarter when drinking... to a point!
    ** Annoying little parrot, ruining all my fun...

Irishopilis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reichsinspekteurr Karl

Aspects:

1. No matter where you go, there you are!
    2. I'm not asking
    3. Give yourself to the dark side (ptshhhhh - hoooooooo - ptshhhh) *thats my attempt at heavy breathing sound effects.*

best skills?
    Contacting and or interrogation. Brainwashing... if that was an option.

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Brainwashing is apparently the "sixth stunt" of Mysteries. Heroes need not apply...

A mad scientist! Just what we need.

As for the eras....oh c'mon. Just choose one, it's just a theme! All that stuff will be in there because I'll be pulp-writing the whole thing and there's a limited set of things I think will be SWEET. ...sweet. Make it happen.

Remember: No research (but broad reading)

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    feeddannowfeeddannow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Bitch, Miranda Wattsworth
    Former wife and partner of Beasel, a constant thorn in his side, a reminder of better times, also suspected lesbian and confirmed gold-digger

1) "Soul Sucking Harpy"
    2) "In bed with the Devil"
    3) "For old time's sake"
    4) "I own you!"

feeddannow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Xander Drake
    Gun (or knife, or garott wire, or...) for hire and adventurer, has had several run-ins with Velma that didn't end well...for her

Aspects:
    "...and I get paid for this too?"
    Cheerful executioner
    Timing is everything.
    "Anything you can do, I've already done it better."

Possible Skills:
    Weapons, Rapport

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey Steffan! Welcome! :)

Finally got my submissions in. Loving all these characters so far.

As for the Era, oooh...so hard to choose! But, as I understand it, we're more than a little likely to go bouncing around between eras at David's discretion?

Anyways, to start off how about....The Aughts or The Depression? Steampunk Skypirates and Exploration or Gangsters Hunting Down Mysterious Archeological Artifacts! *Has no idea what she's talking about.*

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd like Skypirates more, but I think any category would suffice.

Oh and as for my archvillian

Janet the Parrot
    1) A Bitch of a Witch
    2) Anything you can say, I can say better
    3) Uncanny Evasion

I imagine the parrot is actually some evil shapeshifting witch that has come to make my life a living hell just for the heck of it.

Irishopilis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm with kat.. 1900's or 1930's for my first choice. I lean toward 1900's just because steampunk is freakin awesome.

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Shapeshifting parrots, eh? Classy.

Throw all that Era business to The Thread via your meta-character. But yes, it doesn't really matter which one we start with. There's always another book, and pulp heroes are timeless and only remember backstory that's important to their current story. (Unless you want to get fancy).

I'll update the player list when I feel like it, but I think we've got our five. If a sixth person really wants to join, the group can vote them in, but 50 Aspects and 5 Villains is probably a solid number.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, my, god. *scrambles to make a character for this delicious madness.*

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    :shock: Iron Devils in Death's Odyssey :o

Zombie_Lord_Demus on
    Hunting Dragons.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sounds like we might have another prospective player in the works.

Who is it, though? Not familiar with the tag. *peers at Matev* Matalihutl, is that you?

Kiplingskat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i have no idea who Matev is... apparently from seattle though.. o_O

I didn't realize anyone could post on the wiki.. I thought we had to be 'approved' by dan or something... eeeeerie.. *twilight zone music*

to think the whole world was privy to my bad grammar...

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    just a random peruser of CF that happened to see the IC thread and get enamored with the idea.

I'm thinking mysterious gunslinger....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I put "The Legion of Mystery" as the place-holder team name, but "The Iron Devils" would be fine too. Fight it out amongst your meta-characters. This is the "series" name that would go on all the books, so it doesn't have to be specific to steampunk.

I'm content with 5 players (and I know they're not flakes...except for Dan). It's up to the current players whether we're actually recruiting or not, so prospective players will have to woo them with characters and wit into unanimous consent.

Woooooooooo.

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hrm, we'll see.... I might just be content to sit back and watch this one play out rather than clog it up with my ridiculousness...

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey look a WIKI

(Oh, and don't forget to write The Thread in 3rd-Person, Past Tense. It'll be confusing if the Present Tense gets mixed in.)

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So do you want us to update the wiki with our character stuff?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes. But don't edit the villains. That's my thing now. You can assume that any aspects you can see are the ones your character has been able to deduce from past run-ins. Some villains are more inscrutable than others.

For those wondering, the difference between a Villain and a Rival is that the Villain is one "level" above you guys. In game terms that means Villains have two more aspects (which actually technically makes them more vulnerable, once you figure out their aspects) and one more stunt (which makes up for that...).

DavidalBarron on

Character Sheet

Other:
    Spider Frost
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    question: can I edit my stunts or are they set now that you made villains?

Mendokusai on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ahahaha. I was wondering why the main thread was diving right into things without any of the usual preamble.. It's because all of that was hidden in a dark sun campaign OOC thread :o

Curses, foiled again!
    I'm probably in enough games now that adding this one would have been a horrible idea. So I'm not actually angry or anything!

El Skid on