As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fraud? What Fraud? There's no Fraud here! (Yes there is)

13»

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i want to be best friends with the guy who made that shoe quote

satansfingers on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Though, BoA DID stop all of its current and pending foreclosure proceedings. Hopefully other banks will follow, and hopefully this won't get them off the hook for the shit they've already pulled

I only really see two policy options

1. Severely disincentivise people from lending to homeowners for any reason by punishing them
    2. Let BofA etc. restart proceedings from scratch so that their foreclosures are 'legit.'

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Umaro wrote: »
    So Congress just has to pass a bill saying 'giving them a free pass on this one' and we're back to business as usual, ya?

Apparently they did, but Obama used the Veto Hammer.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zoel wrote: »
    Though, BoA DID stop all of its current and pending foreclosure proceedings. Hopefully other banks will follow, and hopefully this won't get them off the hook for the shit they've already pulled

1. Severely disincentivise people from lending to homeowners for any reason by punishing them
    2. Let BofA etc. restart proceedings from scratch so that their foreclosures are 'legit.'

what on earth do you mean by option one?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    So Congress just has to pass a bill saying 'giving them a free pass on this one' and we're back to business as usual, ya?

Apparently they did, but Obama used the Veto Hammer.

Good for him!

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man and here I was thinking this morning that BofA was alright, they saved me from a few hundred bucks of fraudulent CC charges this morning :(

(then again I guess the foreclosure guys and credit card guys might as well be a different company, but still)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Incidentally does all this scandal make it a really bad time to buy a condo or what?

Situation around home's FINALLY stabilized enough where I can move out of the family house, so I've been saving the 20% or whatever down for a condo I had my eye on

Ledneh on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hovel is the new condo.

MKR on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i dont know why buying when the market is down would be a bad idea (as long as you know for a fact that you can afford it)

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i dont know why buying when the market is down would be a bad idea (as long as you know for a fact that you can afford it)

While it's a buyers market, banks aren't really itching to give out money.

But from a "what will my property be worth in 10-15 years", there's really nowhere to go but up

Javen on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, if you can buy in this market and your credit is good enough to get a home lone. Do it. Don't bother renting, you'll get a much cheaper price if you can buy it. At least in California you can.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh yeah I know the prices are insanely in favor of buying. I can get a 1000ft2 condo in a nice neighborhood here in las vegas for $65k, it seems!

I just worry that there's gonna be some sort of fuckin pratfall along the way that hamstrings me, with all the economic hullaballyhoo going on

(some acrobatic fucking pirouette)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Oh yeah I know the prices are insanely in favor of buying. I can get a 1000ft2 condo in a nice neighborhood here in las vegas for $65k, it seems!

I just worry that there's gonna be some sort of fuckin pratfall along the way that hamstrings me, with all the economic hullaballyhoo going on

(some acrobatic fucking pirouette)

Just don't bank (lol) on getting approved right away. I recently had a friend buying a house, and even after being approved, picking out a house, negotiating with the buyer, writing up a contract, and whoops! the bank makes her wait six months because they ran out of money and have to get bailed out.

Javen on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, if you can buy in this market and your credit is good enough to get a home lone. Do it. Don't bother renting, you'll get a much cheaper price if you can buy it. At least in California you can.

A friend is paying 400 a month right now in rent for a shitty apartment in a terrible part of town.

Mortgage payments on a home with a 6 acre lot is right around 300 for 30 years.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hell, I'm paying nearly 900 a month plus utilities (hydro, cable, internet, cell phone) for a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown Toronto.

Of course, walking to work each day might be a bit difficult from that far away.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

While it's a buyers market, banks aren't really itching to give out money.

But from a "what will my property be worth in 10-15 years", there's really nowhere to go but up

no, there's not. that's the whole reason this scandal is freezing the housing market.

If foreclosures are frozen, possibly for months or years, you could buy a house in a neighborhood that looks safe, with no foreclosures. then, once you buy it, several houses foreclose and suddenly you're house value plummets and you're underwater.

So it's a huge gamble to buy, even if you buy relatively low.

Plus it's difficult to get a loan and you need 20% down.

Langly on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Consider why the separation of mortgage servicing companies from lenders occurred in the first place.

If there is no legal way to service that many homeowners, is it not effectively illegal to do so?

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Consider why the separation of mortgage servicing companies from lenders occurred in the first place.

If there is no legal way to service that many homeowners, is it not effectively illegal to do so?

yes

it is called fraud

what are you driving at?

(ps they could, I don't know, hire some more people to do their review properly)

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    eh the free market will take care of it

Jars on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    NANOMACHINES
    TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMY
    FREE MARKET

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the free hand of the market is cuppin' mah bum

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Oh we don't need Congress for that. Florida has it covered
    These new foreclosure-only courts are special creations of the Florida legislature, funded separately from the usual court system. They are manned by retired judges, which means in many cases they are not familiar with real estate law.

But perhaps most important, the explicit objective of these courts is to clear up the backlog. And that is coming to pass not by the Legislature having thrown enough resources at the problem (that is, having greatly enlarged court capacity to process more cases in parallel) but by pushing for faster resolution. The problem is that an accelerated process runs roughshod over due process and allows banks to foreclose when they may not be the right party, or worse, when the foreclosure is the result of servicing error.

Let’s look at one example of banana republic faux justice in the US, via a speech by foreclosure court Judge Roger Colton to his court on how the day was going to go. It’s simply breathtaking. He says that if the bank is foreclosing, he’s not going to consider any evidence that the foreclosure is in error (servicing errors, plaintiff can’t provide proof it owns the note, which means it might not be the right party and procedurally, means it lacks standing to take action). He says he has already heard everything, there is a lot of unemployment in the area; he is going to schedule a court date, but that is merely a deadline for negotiation. In other words, he makes it abundantly clear he has no interest in hearing evidence. When he gets to seeing a defendant after his speech to the court (p. 13), he rubber stamps what the bank wants without even considering the evidence. And apparently his entire day went like that.

Narbus on