As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darksiders] Thread II : the hideous offspring of every game you love.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Welp I beat it.
    I liked it.
    Woulda gone for more backstory fillout just like it, in fact.

Everybody shitting on the first world baffles me though.

The Makers are important to this universe. It's their homeworld, and something is fucking it up completely. These guys are the Architects of Creation. They made everything important. And they're getting wiped out effortlessly. That's a big deal, and it sets up the threat of Corruption perfectly.
    You could skip to the second world if you like.
    It would make no sense at all and you'd be completely lost, but hey I guess there'd be death skulls everywhere and skeletons and shit, it'd be more familiar I guess? Yay for grit.
    Presumably trees and grass are just too weird for a Darksiders game. Or something. Personally, I really enjoyed the first world.

I thought the game was way underhyped. I liked the story more than the firsts. It was simpler, but much more character focused. It kept my attention better than the generic epic whatever of 1 which I honestly only remember the bits that expounded upon the interesting universe and backstory because the bits that were actually about the plot right now were been there done that ten million times. Of the direct story of War, the only part that was really interesting was the beginning and the end, mostly because it synced the interesting backstory and world building with what was going on right now. Everything that happened in this game was personal and ultimately resulted from the main characters actions, either now or in the past.

Death's better evasion made him feel much more powerful than War, at least in my hands. In situations where War couldn't even perfect counter out of, because you got hit out of counters and there'd be too many attacks incoming to humanly just frame block all of them, death just does a casual backlflip and he's out of there. War had no iframes on his dash so he just got clobbered.
    Death's all dodging at the last second and smacking fools around with wild abandon, teleporting all over the place etc. Felt much more powerful because I felt like I had much more control over what was going on. When things went wrong it felt like my fault, cos my god the i frames on his backwards flip. Ridiculously good.
    With war, when things got overwhelming, you felt a bit helpless, because your counter is only good 1 on 1 and the dash meant you couldn't get away at times. You basically had to dodge before the attack was incoming, which meant you were basically playing keep away rather than being straight up in dudes face all the time murdering them and casually avoiding their attacks at the last second. Not including enemies you could stun lock with constant attack, but fights like that are pretty easy in any action game.

The only problems I got with the game is the rpg elements. They're badly implemented. I had to customise them to keep a decent action game experience going, ie avoid health and wrath steal, avoid ice (holy shit so broken), there's just too many attributes that let you completely ignore the really good combat system. It felt like the rpg designers and the combat designers weren't talking to each other.

Best part of the game though, just like DS1, is the puzzle dungeons. Thems was some damn good puzzles, much better than DS1, which could get baffling at times. I only got stumped twice and I eventually figured it out both times on my own, and each time was an OH DUH OF COURSE moment. The rest of them could be solved via thoughtful experimentation and exploration and a bit of good old fashioned thunking. Do the DLC have any good puzzles? I'd be tempted to get them if they do. I want more puzzles like that.
    I'd say the quality of them puzzle dungeons is why I didn't mind the increased size. I didn't care that I had to do three of everything because I was all woo more puzzles so happy! :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Appearantly a "definitive edition" of Darksiders 2 for PS4 was spotted on Amazon. No confirmation as of yet. I'd presume this would include Darksiders 1 as well. I wonder if they're gonna improve much on DS 2? I think that's what "definitive edition" means as Tomb Raider's next-gen edition sported improved visuals.

Only the sequel is disappointing. I really liked the first, but my PS3 exploded and took my save with it about 30 minutes from the end, which I never recovered from which also put me off the sequel. If they had a 2 pack HD port, I'd buy it on release.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'd buy an "HD" release of 1 and or 2, if for no other reason to show Nordic that yes, I do absolutely want more Darksiders.

Which is weird because if there is something that neither game is lacking still is visuals, so I'm not entirely sure what HD'ing it up would even do?

Granted, I only played 2 on the PC, and I will admit that 1 on the PC looked substantially better than the (still good looking) 360 version, which I only played before the screen tearing patch no less.

So...what I'm saying is...yes, yes I'll buy more Darksiders. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Which is weird because if there is something that neither game is lacking still is visuals, so I'm not entirely sure what HD'ing it up would even do?

Allow Playstation gamers to play it with a good controller.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So I started that "starting weapons" run. Picked up a hammer in crowfathers temple and it is my only sidearm. No armor. Just skills.
    I'm up to the boss of the last temple. At this point, every set piece fight is a major boss.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    -Loki- wrote: »

Allow Playstation gamers to play it with a good controller.

It is weird how much better the PS4 controller feels than the PS3 one.

While I still think the 360 controller is where it's at (minus the shitty d-pad) the PS4 controller is quickly catching up. I'm finding I don't care too much for the XB1 controller, despite it being fairly similar to the 360 one. The bumpers just feel like they're moved to be just off where I think they should be, and they don't press down as readily making things like melee in Halo feel...wonky?

A bit off topic, but does anyone know of a good PS3 controller that either 1) is basically the 360 controller in feel and heft or 2) gives the DS3 the weight and firmness of the PS4 controller, maybe with the better triggers/nubs? Seriously the DS3 feels like a dollar store toy, it has no weight and feels super flimsy.

Aaaaaanyway, Gamespot is reporting they have confirmed a remastered DS2 for PS4 with Nordic. They are not ready yet to discuss what it entails however.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited February 2015
    hahahaha

there's a boss in this game with a homing spinning multi hit attack that lasts longer than a triple backwards dodge

you can't avoid being hit by it at least once

what a fuck up

Morninglord on
  • Options
    what boss?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    corrupted constructor

the spinning thing he does without warning

you can't dodge around him and you have to chain the backwards flip perfectly or he'll hit you with the whole thing and juggle you
    even if you do chain it perfectly, he still hits you with the final tick because the attack is just that little bit longer than triple dodges

really badly designed

i beat him anyway

ravens are pretty sweet

basically every time i hit a wall i have to hit up vulgrim and have a good think about what skills i can use to get past each particular fight

and i have to think about the effects of the skills rather than the damage, because none of them really have any

although ravens are actually super strong. wonderful crowd control and decent damage even without arcane stats

im up to the eternal throne now

the only rules are no loot aside from the first secondary weapon i picked up in crowfathers. which was a hammer. and i actually swapped it out with a lower damage hammer :)

all skills are fine, potions are fine, reaper is fine, i have grim, but i dont equip it in battle. i have to basically go back to the dummies for some fights, build up a reaper and max my wrath bar.

oh and im playing on apocalyptic

the whole point of this is 1). see if its possible 2). determine what parts of the combat system are fixed and which parts are due to stats

for example i now know for absolute certainty, because i have NO STATS, that large mini boss enemies cannot actually be "staggered" at all with attacks. what they have is a health gate system. if you do enough damage, they drop down to one knee for a little while, letting you wail on them. if you hit hard, this happens earlier.

i also know that the dashing secondary (evade y), hammer charge grounded or air, flip kick riser (a during a combo or evade) and meteor stomp (evade mid air) will stun small enemies out of their super armor mode guaranteed for the entirety of the forge lands. thats all those little rock dudes that tank hits until they hit you. the above will stun them.

anything small and flying takes extreme damage from redemption. it is a hard counter.

stuff like that

i avoid unnecessary fights. sometimes i toss enemies over cliffs.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I just had to look up the fight you're talking about.

This guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQH-GfXS_uY

Because he's got a big charge up animation prior to his spin that gives you more than enough warning that he's about the spin.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I just frame counted it. It's < 1 second charge up.

Normal speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB8tEt2ecKM&amp;feature=youtu.be

Slowed down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzL_itDlW5A&amp;feature=youtu.be

You do not have time to back away before you dodge, he easily keeps pace with your dodge and you cannot avoid the last hit because you are in recovery. If you do anything other than dodge immediately you eat the entire thing, if you do anything other than the dodges I did you get caught and take more damage.

The only way to avoid it is to happen to be far enough away from him when he starts it.
    It's a random attack, there is no way to predict it.

It's a single really bad attack in an otherwise excellent game. There is no need to bend over backwards defending it. Every action game has some kind of bug or problem like this. There's even animation problems in Bayonetta. DMC3 has Arkham, the poster child for what the fuck where they thinking with these tells?

So far its the only attack in the entire forge lands I haven't been able to completely avoid. Lets remember that in DS1 you didn't even have i frames on your dodge, so they did pretty well on the second try. In fact its the most annoying because they improved so much. Just that little bit more polish guys! You were almost there!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I'm just hoping this means we get a red faction game

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @The Dude With Herpes I was told you can use the ds4 with the PS3. Think it might have to stay wired or you may just need to sync it.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    @The Dude With Herpes I was told you can use the ds4 with the PS3. Think it might have to stay wired or you may just need to sync it.

I'll give it a shot, thanks. Didn't even think about trying that.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm recording that challenge run.
    Here's a fight I really like.
    Note that I deliberately restarted here like five times because I wanted to learn how to crowd control and deal with all these enemies without getting hit once. It helped a lot in later fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZAfOvuTWB8

Oh and so far in land of the dead im significantly more powerful than I was before just with the extra skills and moveset upgrades. My shitty level 1 hammer stunlocked one of those giant bugs to death. It was pretty hilarious. Those just frame attacks don't give a fuck what the enemy is doing, you hit an enemy with a sweet spot or just frame heavy move they flat out get stunned.
    Pretty great.

Also there's several fights I was dreading because they swarm you with skeletons and I knew I wouldn't be able to kill them fast enough.

Turns out harvests 20% increase to damage per enemy hit is either uncapped or so high it doesn't matter.
    My harvest has always been a fixed damage. Roughly 1000 on a crit, a bit more with unstoppables strength bonus 1.2k.
    I'm critting swarms with harvest for 4000 damage with only 2 points in unstoppable.
    It's crazy. My default unbuffed damage is the same as that video. It hasn't changed significantly in 14 levels. With the 2 points in unstoppable I'm at 53 strength.
    So Harvest managed to get 4000 crit damage out of that.

Swarming me is what I want.

Please, swarm me more.

Plus I've levelled up so I can get the reaper hit on harvest so now I get reaper twice in a fight. So good.

Near the end of forge lands I was thinking I might have to upgrade my weapons, maybe pick up the first weapons that drop in each new area. I don't feel like that's necessary anymore. I might even do this thing. I kind of didn't really expect it to work for as long as it has...

Single bosses are still a pain, but they're generally easier to do with ravens. So I swap to them. Although if they can be chain stunned with the hammers just frame moves I don't have to swap. I just loop them until they die.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    What you need to do is finish this run as best you can and send all your work at breaking (or testing) this game to Nordic and point out the places where the game broke down, and what they need to fix when they do a new one? :wink:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well I'm only recording mandatory fights and a few funny side ones.
    I've had some amusing things happen in little side fights.

Skipping most of the chaff scattered about.

Also its pretty freaking intense. You know that gauntlet with all those faces, that ends with a constructor on the second last wave and then TWO constructors?
    That took me eight minutes and I was this close *holds fingers about an inch apart* to carking it on the last constructor.

So I take breaks.

Shit, I took a break and S ranked Monsoon for that guide I'm working on in my sig. Hahaha. It was relaxing!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I am the kind of person that looks at a game, sees the possibility of S rank, and is happy with my D-B ranking.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Wyborn said it better than I ever could.
    Wyborn wrote: »
    This conversation basically outlines how differently Morninglord and I approach CAGs

I go "THIS WORKS, DO THIS"

Morninglord goes "Well maybe THIS works, and THIS works, and if I look at it THIS way I can do THIS"

"That would take forever just to learn!"

"Yeah but if I do it like THIS I don't even need to use my feet"

I love it because, you know, not using your feet sounds both, you know, kinda cool, and also completely useless and baffling. Why would you use your feet in the first place? Why does it matter if you aren't using your feet?

That's me!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I gotcha. I like these games because they make me feel powerful, more or less. Most spectacle fighters do. :wink:

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Hell yeah.
    Seeing Death's stone cold fearless attitude to everything in all the cutscenes when I'm doing this run. It makes me feel like such a badass. Death don't need loot.
    Loot just makes it more merciful for the enemy.
    He can kill you anyway.

The fight where I stunlocked one of those giant bugs, it was the one where all the skeletons pop out and then that bug jumps down and shatters them all while Death just stands there unimpressed.

Winning these fights feels so awesome. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I am the kind of person that looks at a game, sees the possibility of S rank, and is happy with my D-B ranking.

Personally I think that any good game will make your journey from C-Rank (or whatever rank you're starting at) to S-Rank enjoyable. Metal Gear Rising for example does a number of good things: Fast restarts, frequent checkpoints and consumables that (automatically) restore health. If you start on a lower difficulty you have plenty of health and enemies obviously deal less damage, allowing you to get the timing on your dodges and parries right. Then, as you move up in difficulty enemies kill you so quickly that health starts to matter less and less as the best way to survive is not getting hit at all. Similarely enemy health goes up and up while your regular attacks do (rougly?) the same damage, but you'll quickly realize that your parries stay as effective as ever, or are even better.

This all happens intuitively as you just play through the game and make your way to the highest difficulty. "Revengeance" difficulty features a lot of things that will kill you in one or two hits and enemies with massive HP pools, but if you took your time and got used to dodging and parrying ideally you should be at a point where you don't get hit and your primary source of damage is parries.

TL;DR: I consider a game "good" if it makes the learning process enjoyable. Difficulty =/= frustration

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    TL;DR: I consider a game "good" if it makes the learning process enjoyable. Difficulty =/= frustration

I agree that difficulty doesn't equal frustration. It's more that I like S rank if I can get it, but if not, I don't feel the need to push myself for it. Not unless I'm going to miss a bit of story, or if the game rewards me for S ranking things in some other mode. I'm also not a "high score" person.

This is mainly because when I get competitive (even vs the computer) I get pissy, and I like to not be pissy. :wink: So instead I just relax and try to enjoy the game.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I get mad.
    And then I get even.
    And then I feel good.

I repeat step 2 for as long as it takes. There are very few games I enjoyed the combat of that I have ever given up on step 2 for. And even then, at the back of my mind, its still a goal in progress.
    So yeah I'm pretty frustration immune.
    Like you know how people make posts all angry when they've given up and just want to vent?

Well if I do that I haven't given up. I'm just venting like a steam train vents. I'm still going. Still thinking about how to beat it.
    A couple of these fights I had to try several different skill builds. I just kept trying different things until I found a build that worked.

I do try to force myself to take longer breaks nowadays though. Because I developed RSI in my hand because of my absurd stubbornness. I would ignore my hand hurting. I stop playing for a few days if that starts happening now. I don't ignore the warning signs. :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I get mad.
    And then I get even.
    And then I feel good.

I repeat step 2 for as long as it takes. There are very few games I enjoyed the combat of that I have ever given up on step 2 for. And even then, at the back of my mind, its still a goal in progress.
    So yeah I'm pretty frustration immune.
    Like you know how people make posts all angry when they've given up and just want to vent?

Well if I do that I haven't given up. I'm just venting like a steam train vents. I'm still going. Still thinking about how to beat it.
    A couple of these fights I had to try several different skill builds. I just kept trying different things until I found a build that worked.

I know there are 120 stages in Offspring Fling. I know that to get them I need to get "gold" times on the stages. Or "rainbow", if I want to beat them all. I know that I've beaten all 100 normal stages, but there are 20 super special ones that I could get to, if I just push really hard.

It's not worth it.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Woah Phariseer is a toughie without gear.
    Remember them skeletons he summons?
    Well I can kill them with harvest fine, but you see when he decides to attack near the end of his life, he starts doing this repeated spinning attack over and over and over and he gets complete super armor during it that ignores harvest. And he does a lot of damage. So when I'm harvesting skeletons he keeps cheap shotting me. Special moves like harvest really should have i frames as well.

This is gonna take me a bit of effort.
    I can nearly get him down though so I think it's possible.
    Just gotta get gud.
    Ravens are useless because they attack all the skeletons.
    I don't think my ghouls would last very long here so I haven't bothered trying them yet. I may have to though.

Oh and remember those wraiths?

Yeah those wraiths.

Them was also a toughie. Funnily enough the shield guy after the second pack of wraiths was pretty easy, although I was lacking health pots by that point. I could still stun him with level 1 hammer attacks if I used the just frames. Within limits though.
    Also I lucked out by getting executions on 1 wraith and then again on the shield guy when he hit 1/5th health. I'm glad I didn't have to finish that last bit of health. I had a lot less health than him.

edit: And Phariseer's down. Gettin gud werked.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I found oblivion on my first playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqm12Angg0Q

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    oblivion's showing as private for me. :P

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    whoops i forgot to click publish
    fixed

• Options
    edited February 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1fSclGEjec

Part 2

Basically just the drenchfort.

The Karkino fight took forever but I didn't realise it at the time because it was pretty easy just took a long time to down him with the limited window you get.

I really should have stopped teleporting to him because it kept putting me behind him.

Either that or, as I realised when I watched the recording, teleported twice to end up in front of him.

Oh well I don't even use teleport slash anymore, it's too weak.

edit: holy shit the judicator had some tough fights in it for this challenge.

however i did discover a neat little thing that on the face of it is obvious but hadn't occured to me

if you activate unstoppable before you trigger reaper form you get the bonuses, including critical chance and critical damage

which, on this build, is a notable dps increase

ripped the guts out of a particularly tough fight by maxing out unstoppable as much as i could. normally i prefer maxed harvest and only put what points in unstoppable i can.
    swapping that around was super helpful in this case.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    @Morninglord is basically all the evidence I need that this IP needs to keep existing. I don't appreciate the game on anywhere near the same level but I still love it. IT'S A GREAT IP PLEASE KEEP IT ALIIIIIIVE

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Part 3

This has got that insane gauntlet in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7DU1XQFYUE

Part 4

This whole video is insane. I got the shit kicked out of me in the first two fights. They both took multiple retries and skill switcheroos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGY_ZRXwJUg

Part 5

This is the foundry and Guardian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA8O_akVr9E

And with that, The Forge Lands is done.

I'm not doing any of the side quests. This game is tough enough as it is. Just managing to beat it at all will be an accomplishment.

Plus even though I said I got stronger in land of the dead with the new weapon upgrades (and realising how OP harvest is), that doesn't mean it was easy. Oh no. You guys haven't seen anything yet.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    So I was fighting one of those large skeleton dudes right? The ones with super armor and very far ranging attacks, but not the actual giants. The ones that shout at you about all the horrible things they plan to do to you.

anyway I was juggling this guy with merry abandon and a couple of undead prowlers came around the corner, so I flipped him up high enough that he went over the balcony and down to the level below, with no way to get back to me.

So I'm fighting these prowlers while this guy is below and he's shouting up his taunts at me.

"I will take your head!" he shouts near the end of the fight up there.

I finish up the prowlers, and I have a quick look to see if I can find him down there, but couldn't see him. So I ignored him and carry on.

and he goes

"It. Will. Hurt."

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Progress update:

Wailing Host?

Pfft.

Whiner.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    any plans to release any tutorial videos? Been thinking about reinstalling the second game to finally finish it, and it would be fun to do so as more than a button masher

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well I only know one secondary weapon really well, the hammer. I could make a really quick and dirty video just tooling around in the overworld explaining what i know so far if you like, just not sure when I'll have the time to do it atm.
    I put this project on hold because the extended and sometimes gruelling fights were aggravating my injury. A little video like that wouldn't bother me though.
    I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days, but can't promise anything. I'm pretty busy this weekend.

You just reminded me that I have all of land of the dead on my computer and I haven't fixed it up yet. Heh.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So this guy made me realise a few things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTacS_LGiY

One: The guantlets are a lot more cool / versatile than I gave them credit for.

Two: All this is being done on KBAM.

Three: It would be the coolest thing , the coolest thing if I could end a combo by summing Despair and making one final parting shot backwards as I ride into the horizon.

Yeah, Death's done with this fight. *Gunshot*

EDIT: Though I don't think he's as good as our resident ML by the looks of things.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Dunno why you'd say that. Those are excellent combos. My normal play is nowhere near that versatile. I'm very dry in comparison.

You can end combos with despair. Soon as you make contact with ground you can summon him. He counts as a hit and does stupendous damage. You can't shoot backwards on him as you ride away (cos they're dead), but you don't need to. You'll ride away surrounded by their exploding corpse.

The combo where he used despair he rode under them while they were in the air.
    He's also using a trainer to give him infinite mana.
    Something I did not think of.

Having watched the whole vid, I would never have thought of many of those. That man has combo video style down to a t. He's using mid air skill cancels like it aint no thing as well.
    I'm nothing in comparison to this guy.
    Nothing.

Morninglord on