As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a Happy Day in Chile

2»

• Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kinda would suck if they haul the last guy up, and everyone is partied out and went home.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man I am so happy they are getting these dudes out

I'm pretty sure people being trapped in a collapsed mine is usually a "game over man" kind of scenario

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh yeah, we got this this morning. woot!
    STATEMENT BY THE NASA ADMINISTRATOR ON THE CHILEAN MINERS RESCUE

The following is a statement from NASA Administrator Charles Bolden on the rescue effort for the Chilean miners.

“On behalf of the entire NASA family, I want to ask that our heartfelt thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the courageous miners, their families and friends, and the dedicated people who have been working to safely reach those who are still trapped underground.

“There is a lot of hard work ahead for rescuers, but the Chilean government and the people of that great nation should be praised for their steadfast determination. Their unwavering commitment is the reason we are witness to the joyful and emotional reunions today as the miners are returned to the surface one-by-one.

“I also want to express my personal thanks to the Americans who have assisted in this heroic effort, and specifically the NASA team that traveled to Chile in the early days of the crisis. For decades, the people of this agency have learned to live, work, and survive in the hostile environment of space. Our expertise in maintaining physiological and psychological health, and our technical and engineering experience in spacecraft design all proved to be valuable in a situation that is far from our traditional scope of work.

“I am proud of the people of this agency who were able to bring the experience of spaceflight down to Earth when it was needed most. As the drama of this rescue continues to unfold before us, we pray for the safe return of each and every miner.”

For more information about NASA and the miners rescue, visit: http://www.nasa.gov

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This was great to hear. I guess it's far better from the viewpoint of the miners for the estimates to be really, really generous. Christmas came early!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cadmunky wrote: »

The following is a statement from NASA Administrator Charles Bolden on the rescue effort for the Chilean miners.

“On behalf of the entire NASA family, I want to ask that our heartfelt thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the courageous miners, their families and friends, and the dedicated people who have been working to safely reach those who are still trapped underground.

“There is a lot of hard work ahead for rescuers, but the Chilean government and the people of that great nation should be praised for their steadfast determination. Their unwavering commitment is the reason we are witness to the joyful and emotional reunions today as the miners are returned to the surface one-by-one.

“I also want to express my personal thanks to the Americans who have assisted in this heroic effort, and specifically the NASA team that traveled to Chile in the early days of the crisis. For decades, the people of this agency have learned to live, work, and survive in the hostile environment of space. Our expertise in maintaining physiological and psychological health, and our technical and engineering experience in spacecraft design all proved to be valuable in a situation that is far from our traditional scope of work.

“I am proud of the people of this agency who were able to bring the experience of spaceflight down to Earth when it was needed most. As the drama of this rescue continues to unfold before us, we pray for the safe return of each and every miner.”

For more information about NASA and the miners rescue, visit: http://www.nasa.gov

"And Barry, please, please don't cut our funding anymore."

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One more, and they won't be miners anymore.

redhead on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    man I am so happy they are getting these dudes out

I'm pretty sure people being trapped in a collapsed mine is usually a "game over man" kind of scenario

Yeah I remember vividly the Crandall Canyon mine disaster playing out on national tv. What a rollercoaster that was, from the rescuers thinking they found signs of life to it being a lie to rescuers being killed and them having to call off the whole thing.

I can't imagine what it'd be like to go that way. Just find a way to off yourself, suffocate to death, or die of dehydration/starvation....

On MSNBC's site:
    Edison Pena
    12th miner rescued
    Marital status: Single
    Has hearing problems and suffers from hypertension and diabetes.

He is said to be an Elvis fan who led the miners in singing and ran six miles a day in the cramped chamber to keep fit.

Man I can't run six miles a day period, I can't imagine how he did it in a goddamn mine.

Goddamn

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cadmunky wrote: »

"And Barry, please, please don't cut our funding anymore."

nah, we're good!
    NASA ADMINISTRATOR THANKS PRESIDENT OBAMA AND CONGRESS FOR AGENCY’S NEW DIRECTION SUPPORT

The following is a statement from NASA Administrator Charles Bolden regarding the anticipated signing of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010 by President Obama on Monday, Oct. 11, 2010.

“Later today, President Obama is expected to sign into law the National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010. It is important bipartisan legislation that charts a new course for space exploration, science, technology development, and aeronautics. We are grateful for the President's forward-thinking plan and the hard work members of Congress put into this framework that will guide us for the coming three years.

“This legislation supports the President’s ambitious plan for NASA to pioneer new frontiers of innovation and discovery. With this direction, we will extend operations on the International Space Station through at least 2020.

“We will foster a growing commercial space transportation industry that will allow NASA to focus our efforts on executing direction in the Act to start work on a heavy-lift architecture to take astronauts beyond low-Earth orbit and to develop a multipurpose crew vehicle for use with our new space launch systems.

“Also, we will continue to invest in green aviation and other technologies that make air travel safer and more efficient.

“In collaboration with our international partners, industry, and academia we will build and launch observatories and robotic missions to explore our solar system and peer through new windows into our amazing universe, as well as help us better understand our own home planet with a robust plus up in our Earth Science program. Our education programs will build on all of this to inspire future generations of scientists, engineers, and explorers.

“We have been given a new path in space that will enable our country to develop greater capabilities, transforming the state of the art in aerospace technologies. We will continue to maintain and expand vital partnerships around the world. It will help us retool for the industries and jobs of the future that will be vital for long term economic growth and national security.

"Our workers have been steadfast in their dedication to safety and success through this time of transition, and we salute their hard work and continued professional excellence. They will continue to be our most vital resource as we implement these plans.

“As the 2011 appropriations process moves forward there is still a lot of hard work ahead of us in collaboration with the Congress. We are committed to work together with the continued wide public support for NASA, and the bipartisan backing of Congress. Today’s vote of confidence from the President will ensure America's space program will remain at the forefront of a bright future for our nation.”

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow didn't think anyone would take me seriously.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    thorgot wrote: »
    imagine being the last guy down there for an hour

They actually had people fighting about who got to stay till the end, because there were several people who wanted to hold the record for "longest single period of time spent in a mine"

Javen on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    someone say a good minecraft joke

If these guys had diamond pickaxes they would've been out of there months ago

something funny

Franko on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Javen wrote: »

They actually had people fighting about who got to stay till the end, because there were several people who wanted to hold the record for "longest single period of time spent in a mine"

The shift supervisor will be the last miner out but I'm sure the last person up will be one of the people sent down to assist.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm really glad they're getting out now, and they said it might not be until Christmas, so its great news.

Liiya on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    would've been cooler if they had to stay in until Christmas

what I am saying is I wanted at least one cannibalization

Franko on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A comment on a news article when this first happened said something about giving them all brooms so they could keep themselves entertained playing minesweeper.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Franko wrote: »

tell that to the miners and I'm sure they'll suggest some body parts you can eat

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

it's going to be like a million times harder to produce an oscar nomination with the film adaptation now

maybe put in some "subtle" hints of homosexual tension? hmmmmm

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »

it's going to be like a million times harder to produce an oscar nomination with the film adaptation now

maybe put in some "subtle" hints of homosexual tension? hmmmmm

That mine shaft wasn't the only they were servicing

Franko on
  • Options
    PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I heard that they were taking the most psychologically sound fella out last. Can you imagine if you were the last one, just passing time and then oh shit the carrier broke it'll be another couple weeks whooooooops.jpg?

PkErthbnd on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's a list of the rescue order somewhere. I think I saw it on CNN this morning.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SenorTacos wrote: »
    So, the Big Picture has some amazing photos of the miners. Link

c01_25480775.jpg

Well I WAS hoping to get through today without weeping

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow, how many guys named MARIO were trapped down there

trentsteel on

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    so do you think any of them fucked

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    do you think any of them did not

trentsteel on

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    no.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Claudio Yanez, 34, was asked by Cristina Nunez to marry her, after she initially rebuffed him but changed her mind after the "miracle" of his discovery underground.

Miss Nunez showed reporters two sets of lingerie that she was keeping in her tent for his release: a red cape, bra and matching knickers along with some devil’s horns and a tail; and a bride’s veil, garter and a fluffy white bra and thong.

d-damn

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    get on that

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Nothing like being trapped in a Chilean mine for months with high-profile media coverage to make the ladies

trentsteel on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i'd call her nothin' but a gold-digger, but i suppose gold digging is actually a dangerous and admirable profession in the end?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Claudio Yanez, 34, was asked by Cristina Nunez to marry her, after she initially rebuffed him but changed her mind after the "miracle" of his discovery underground.

Miss Nunez showed reporters two sets of lingerie that she was keeping in her tent for his release: a red cape, bra and matching knickers along with some devil’s horns and a tail; and a bride’s veil, garter and a fluffy white bra and thong.

d-damn

If that's what you're after.... *goes onto adultshop.com*

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

d-damn

looking to copper feel, eh?

Gatsby on
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

d-damn

looking to copper feel, eh?

Speaking of long shafts...

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Javen wrote: »

Link?

I believe you, but my girlfriend doesn't and I want to prove her wrong.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rad news! Go Chile!!

Rad chilies! Go News!!!

Swill on
  • Options
    CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So apparently someone did the math of all the times they mentioned the free sunglasses on tv, radio, and newspapers and it amounted to about $41 million in free advertising. I have no link, just heard it on the radio, but hot damn. I'm sure they meant it as pure charity and all, but you've got to think that they anticipated that. "Buy now, the official "Chilean Miner" brand sunglasses."

edit: here we go http://www.cnbc.com/id/39650306

CarbonRod on