As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [iPad Thread] is coming soon to a Verizon Wireless retail store near you

1323334353638»

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Box recently had an update that seemed to fix the issues I had with it, so that clears up my question about downloading stored files. I'm taking all the suggestions for remote access into account, but it might be difficult finding the best one since they're all paid. I guess I'll just try the Lite version of programs and see which one works best.

Anyway, couple more questions.

1. I had asked an Apple rep what he recommends using in order to keep the iPad screen "slick" (for finger swiping), and he said baby fresh wipes were the best, as they contained no alcohol and didn't leave spots. Can anyone confirm?

2. I was also wondering if it was possible to get push notifications from specific e-mail recipients, so I know whether it's something worth checking my inbox for right away.

3. Lastly, is there a way to get push notifications from messages for the newest Xbox app?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    2. If you were using gmail as your push mail server, I'd set up a filter to add a label* (really an IMAP folder) to the stuff you consider important then just select that filter when you're setting up what to sync.

*this can include "stars"

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I do use Gmail, and I would be happy to do that thing you just said.

But first....can you teach me how to do that think you just said?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, which bit specifically?
    • Setting up gmail on your iDevice
    • Creating filters/labels
    • Making filters awesome

EDIT: Oh, apparently, google updated their gmail app to work with iOS 5 notifications, except they forgot to add multiple account support or, well, notifications. So using sync as an exchange server is still the best way to roll gmail on the iAnything right now.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    You can also try Boxcar for specific gmail notifications. Set it up with a gmail account and it'll give you a unique forwarding address. Set up a filter in gmail to forward mail from specfic people to that address, then Boxcar will give you a push notification. Boxcar is either $0.99 or $1.99, I believe.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I too am curious as to the best method of maintaining this lovely screen.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Just use a soft damp cloth?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I have just been presented with an iPad 2 (which is super great).

At the moment, I am trying to determine:

What are the best apps for:

SSH (if I have to pay for SSH then I want to know!)
    RDP (As above)
    DNLA/UPnP Playing (This looks like flex:player and media:connect but I haven't had a chance to test yet)
    General HD Playback (Will Flexplayer handle this? Or should I invest in CineXplayer?)
    Is there a good notepad/ftp combination thing available? Preferably with syntax highlighting etc.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get an iPad 2 to work as a text messaging device?

I'd like to have a phone number forward text messages to the iPad, which could then be used to reply to them. Is there maybe a way to do this with a Google Voice number?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Thanatos wrote:

I'd like to have a phone number forward text messages to the iPad, which could then be used to reply to them. Is there maybe a way to do this with a Google Voice number?
    There is an app called Text+ that gives you a free phone number, and rock solid texting. Works on iPhones, iPads, etc.

Has a pretty slick iPad interface as well. And messaging can be as quiet or verbose as you would like, with notification bars, panels, sounds, etc.

It's pretty great.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

There is an app called Text+ that gives you a free phone number, and rock solid texting. Works on iPhones, iPads, etc.

Has a pretty slick iPad interface as well. And messaging can be as quiet or verbose as you would like, with notification bars, panels, sounds, etc.

It's pretty great.
    Can you get it to forward from an already-existent iPhone number? This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote:

It's pretty great.

You can text with a Google Voice number too. I forget the exact app I use, just a free one and it works well. You need to set up the Google Voice number separately.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

It's pretty great.
    Can you get it to forward from an already-existent iPhone number? This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

sadly, no. Not without a jailbreak.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    Trying to get the iPad2 to do some basic freaking functions, but can't figure it out.

1) Can you actually multiple-task, or at least single-task without the window being active? Stuff like being able to actually buffer a YouTube video would be nice.

2) How does autofill with safari work? Despite the option it never remembers a single form item no matter how many times I type out the same text in the same box. Also why will Safari remember google.com, when I'm typing it out in the address bar, but not AppShopper.com despite me going to the latter far more?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    1. No.

2. Despite what Safari indicates autofill may not be enabled. Go to Settings -> Safari and make sure it's on.

• Options
    admanb wrote:
    1. No.

2. Despite what Safari indicates autofill may not be enabled. Go to Settings -> Safari and make sure it's on.

It is enabled there, I even double-checked to make sure

• Options
    nessin wrote:
    admanb wrote:
    1. No.

Both sections?
    Also, you are tapping the AutoFill button, aren't you?

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I know this is a random question that I should have googled first, but is ther a way to auto collapse pages that apps are on an iPad? I recently collapse some apps into folders and now have a lot of dead space filling pages.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    I know this is a random question that I should have googled first, but is ther a way to auto collapse pages that apps are on an iPad? I recently collapse some apps into folders and now have a lot of dead space filling pages.
    Empty pages should just go away, but they have to be totally empty. If you have a page with like one folder on it, just move the folder to another page like you would any other icon.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I have around 4 pages that are half filled since I used folders now. Just curious if there was an easier way than dragging each icon. :-/

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    I'm seriously fed up with iCap Mobile; almost one in every time I open a new tab, the app crashes and loses the last tab I opened before the crash.

I thought the updates would fix this, but it still persists. I would abandon the app altogether were it not for all the extra features it contains (like visible bookmarks, storing passwords, and the ability to download videos and such directly to your iPad).

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    nessin wrote:
    admanb wrote:
    1. No.

Both sections?
    Also, you are tapping the AutoFill button, aren't you?

I do hit the button, but I don't have "Use My Contact Info" turned on. Do you seriously mean I have to have that option on, which has nothing to do with my name and password, which is listed as completely separate section on the options page, to get the name and password functionality to work?

• Options
    Ah, no, not the password bit, AFAIK, but you do need to tell it to remember individual passwords when the prompt comes up after you enter one. Also, I think it may not work with some sites, particularly encrypted ones; not sure about that though.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I use lastpass for the ipad for all my sync'd password/note/username needs.

It's only $12/year and they have a bookmarklet you can add for safari to enable some autofill. It does tend to ask you relog into last pass but it works pretty well for my uses.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Weretaco wrote:
    I use lastpass for the ipad for all my sync'd password/note/username needs.

It's only $12/year and they have a bookmarklet you can add for safari to enable some autofill. It does tend to ask you relog into last pass but it works pretty well for my uses.

What I'd like to use it for is stuff like hotel/restaurant WiFi codes, which would be ridiculous/tedious to manage through something like that. Plus sites I'm generally forced to use Safari for because Apple is retarded (YouTube since the YouTube app defaults to HQ on WiFi even if the connection is slower than a cell connection if I had it), although I could use a password manager for that.
    Ah, no, not the password bit, AFAIK, but you do need to tell it to remember individual passwords when the prompt comes up after you enter one. Also, I think it may not work with some sites, particularly encrypted ones; not sure about that though.

It never asks me to remember a password, even under traditional username/password entries despite having the option enabled.

nessin on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    So besides just gaming, OnLive wants you to work on MS Office documents on your iPad now.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Got my iCade yesterday (it cost under $50). After 5 minutes assembly it works great.

It works so well with iMame4all which I was able to download from the App Store when it was there for a few hours after Apple goofed. No jailbreaking required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxutwvAXrRQ

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    I really wanted to post when that app went up, but I was fearful of PA's policy of not talking about that kind of subject.

I've seen a lot of people praise the iCade, but it looks like a pain in the ass to slip on and off.

• Options
    For those of you with iPad 1s that are crashing in safari far more than it used to, a suggestion:

Go to settings/ general / spotlight search, and turn them all off. All of them. Then reboot your device.

That will free up scads of memory, and the OS seems to be as snappy as it was in the iOS 4 days.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    For those of you with iPad 1s that are crashing in safari far more than it used to, a suggestion:

Go to settings/ general / spotlight search, and turn them all off. All of them. Then reboot your device.

That will free up scads of memory, and the OS seems to be as snappy as it was in the iOS 4 days.

I tend to be skeptical of voodoo tricks like this but I'm sick of the crashes so I'm giving it a shot. I hope it works.

• Options
    elevature wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

I tend to be skeptical of voodoo tricks like this but I'm sick of the crashes so I'm giving it a shot. I hope it works.
    It's not a voodoo trick.

Safari and other apps will force-close if they run out of addressable memory, and there are no non-system processes to shut down. Safari cannot supplant the Mail, photo, spotlight, telephony, core audio/iPod, and other system level services.

And while you cannot close most of those, you can cause spotlight to stop using memory by shutting down all of the services it taps into. And if you have a bunch of mail, contacts, appointments, reminders, etc... that can take a significant (read: 15-25%) amount of your system memory. And Safari can't reclaim it when in use.

This wasn't so bad before iOS 5, but iOS 5 introduced a whole new world of resident system services like the notification center and reminders, and the iPad 1 didn't magically gain more than 256MB of memory...

This is a simple fix that extends the shelf life of the iPad 1, by disabling a service I really never use.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    I think Apple may have done something with iBooks 2 to make it not work on jailbreaked iPads. Anyone else getting an error message upon launch?

• Options
    Toldo wrote:
    I think Apple may have done something with iBooks 2 to make it not work on jailbreaked iPads. Anyone else getting an error message upon launch?

iBooks ALWAYS tries to check for the jailbreak.

every new version of iBooks ever made has been broken at launch for the jb community.

wait to update if you can, roll back if you can, and wait for the dev team to sort it out, as always.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    syndalis wrote:
    Toldo wrote:

every new version of iBooks ever made has been broken at launch for the jb community.

wait to update if you can, roll back if you can, and wait for the dev team to sort it out, as always.

Once again, ladies and gentlemen: the reason why I use the Kindle app.

Toldo on
  • Options
    Toldo wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    Toldo wrote:

Once again, ladies and gentlemen: the reason why I use the Kindle app.
    I get jailbreaking the iPhone, but ever since iOS 5 (honestly, even iOS 4) I am seeing far less reason and a lot more hassle to do it to my iPad.

It might also be that my iPad has become far less of a toy and far more of a major part of my workflow, so any possibility that I am adding instability or killing battery life is frowned upon by me... and every jailbreak ever has done one of the two.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I've not really seen any benefit to jailbreaking my iPad, especially as its my main working at Uni machine.