As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Daily Show & Colbert Report: Not intended to be a factual statement.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seriously though even freerepublic is like 'fuck this shit'!

Though it has it's own 'this is what happens when you're buddy buddy with Obama' twist on it instead of 'this is what happens when you allow a corporation to buy tax loopholes in government legislation'.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I understand it correctly, if we lower the corporate tax by 10% we'll have to pay GE $4 billion instead of $3 billion this upcoming year

Makes so much sense

override367 on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perfect Couples happened, but it's gotten yanked. Of course, people appear as correspondents and then immediately disappear. Sometimes to do other things, like Josh Gad (the fat guy who appeared like four times) is one of the leads in The Book of Mormon.

Personally, I didn't particularly like either of them. I'm a big fan of John Oliver and Wyatt Cenac and Aasif Mandvi because each has done a bit I've really loved. Wyatt Cenac's Michael Steele impression, Aasif Mandvi's coverage of the NYC mosque/community center, and John Oliver's response to Jon Stewart making fun of the Queen have all endeared them to me pretty heavily. Olivia Munn hasn't really done anything that's really stayed in my mind.

Also, not all CEOs and corporations are created equal. Not everybody with a CEO title is looking to play The Most Dangerous Game with homeless people. This:
    I honestly think most CEOs could be tried and executed as war profiteers.

I mean...really?

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yea that's extreme, but if the law was followed I have no doubt a great many executives should be in prison for a great many charges

override367 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can't we fix taxes and then consume less?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    This:

I mean...really?

Yes.

Now note I didn't say should...

...all right, I expressed my thoughts very badly.

But if we're talking the real CEOs--of KBR, not Halliburton, or GE, not NBC--then I believe that most such people have made decisions that are, shall we say, to the benefit of their bottom line and not in accordance with US law on such matters as extoring more money from the government in wartime. The same kind of thinking that allows someone nitpicking to say that you could probably make a case that every president since Kennedy, and a whole bunch before, and indeed many world leaders active on the international scene, are guilty by definition of at least one war crime.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh my god, Wyatt Cenac

Jintor on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    This:

I mean...really?

Yes.

Now note I didn't say should...

...all right, I expressed my thoughts very badly.

But if we're talking the real CEOs--of KBR, not Halliburton, or GE, not NBC--then I believe that most such people have made decisions that are, shall we say, to the benefit of their bottom line and not in accordance with US law on such matters as extoring more money from the government in wartime. The same kind of thinking that allows someone nitpicking to say that you could probably make a case that every president since Kennedy, and a whole bunch before, and indeed many world leaders active on the international scene, are guilty by definition of at least one war crime.

If you want to make blanket statements about CEOs, then I would limit it to Fortune 500 companies. CEO doesn't mean you run a multi billion dollar cooperation.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perfect Couples happened, but it's gotten yanked. Of course, people appear as correspondents and then immediately disappear. Sometimes to do other things, like Josh Gad (the fat guy who appeared like four times) is one of the leads in The Book of Mormon.

Personally, I didn't particularly like either of them. I'm a big fan of John Oliver and Wyatt Cenac and Aasif Mandvi because each has done a bit I've really loved. Wyatt Cenac's Michael Steele impression, Aasif Mandvi's coverage of the NYC mosque/community center, and John Oliver's response to Jon Stewart making fun of the Queen have all endeared them to me pretty heavily. Olivia Munn hasn't really done anything that's really stayed in my mind.

To be fair, she's also only had like half a dozen segments, half of which involved other correspondents.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A friend of mine at a company he was working for had to endure an 8% pay-cut across the board or risk some people being fired.

You know what is funny though, as the company was "enduring difficult times" the CEO and other heads of the company took away something close to 14 million in bonuses the end of that year.

Fuck them.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/28/trump-is-now-really-concerned-about-obamas-birthplace/

I just...when you ask a question, which is fine, but then someone presents the facts to you and instead of just saying "Oh, well I guess I was wrong then. Carry on." you respond with "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALA"

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All it takes for you to be a corporate officer is to form a LLC, which is a very attractive business model for a small business firm, which protects the business owner from personally being sued into oblivion in case someone sues the company. My former roommate was the CEO of his house renovating LLC. I'm pretty sure he wasn't making more than me at my tech support job a lot of the time. I'm sure some bigger CEOs aren't so bad either though. The Starbucks CEO seems to be legitimately looking out for his employees for example by providing them health insurance. My whole point is really when saying people should be tried for war crimes or executed, it's probably better to be specific.
    I have no doubt a great many executives should be in prison for a great many charges

I agree with this. I'm sure many very powerful CEOs with ties to the government are breaking ethics laws on a pretty consistent basis. There are probably a few that are doing worse than that as well (military contractors, insurance companies, financial institutions.)
    To be fair, she's also only had like half a dozen segments, half of which involved other correspondents.

That's true, but I wasn't really a fan of her on Attack of the Show either, so this is pretty much in keeping with that. Maybe she'll surprise me yet.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/28/trump-is-now-really-concerned-about-obamas-birthplace/

I just...when you ask a question, which is fine, but then someone presents the facts to you and instead of just saying "Oh, well I guess I was wrong then. Carry on." you respond with "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALA"

Everything this dude says is gold.
    Among other evidence Obama was born in Hawaii is the fact the hospital where he was born took out ads in two Hawaiian newspapers in 1961 announcing the birth. But Trump isn't buying that either:

"That was placed in the paper days after he was born. He could have come into the country and then did it for social reasons – for whatever reasons."

That crafty Obama! 2 days old and he's already scheming to ruin America.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The ultimate sleeper-agent.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    The ultimate sleeper-agent.

"I have photographic proof that Barack Hussein Obama was even asleep when the newspaper was printed!"

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I demand Trump to prove he was born in the USA.
    "I doubt it," Trump said of Abercrombie's contentions. "I think this guy should be investigated. He remembers when Obama was born? Give me a break. He's just trying to do something for his party."
    Because seeing a half-black child born to a mother from Kansas and a father from Kenya was something that happened all the time.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like how he makes a thing about no doctors or nurses remembering it, but when one guy comes out and says he remembers it, his response is "Like you could possibly remember that, liar face."

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    trump's campaign is pure publicity stunt, this is not surprising in the least. I doubt he actually thinks most of what he's saying.

L|ama on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Squirmish

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Squirmish

Came here to post it. Gorram server difficulties.

And then quagmare. Surprised they didn't elaborate on it.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought it was squirmish too until their joke was based on sqwormish.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    it could be either

after all, worms do squirm

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Man, every time I see technology like that for medical purposes, my hope for humanity rises. THAT is awesome stuff to research and make happen. And it doesn't get enough publicity.

... Though I'm sure Fox News would make it evil.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They'll thaw out Disney's head and make him a charmingly anti-Semitic cyborg commentator.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Olivia Munn was on Conan, and she was there specifically promoting The Daily Show (they referred to her as "from The Daily Show" in the intros and mentioned TDS as where to see her at the end of her interview), so I'm assuming she's coming back. So brace yourself if you hate her or whatever.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://twitter.com/#!/BronxZoosCobra

I love the Bronx Cobra story.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Corporations not paying taxes in the U.S. really has me surprised, and irked.

Sky on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought they'd do more on Newt. That went past a 180 to a 360 and clear to a 720 reverse double-clutch jam of flip-flopping on the Libya thing.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, every time I see technology like that for medical purposes, my hope for humanity rises. THAT is awesome stuff to research and make happen. And it doesn't get enough publicity.

... Though I'm sure Fox News would make it evil.

It was a great segment, and reminded me a bit of the one where the guy working with DARPA came on the show to display some awesome arm prosthesis technology. The clips of a gentleman using two of them at once to eat was jaw dropping.

We are doing truly incredible shit with robotics to give people back parts of their lives.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sky wrote: »
    Corporations not paying taxes in the U.S. really has me surprised, and irked.

It wasn't new news to me, but being reminded of it AND having a dollar figure thrown at me is what made me rage.

Henroid on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I may have to quit watching these shows again because they make me sadraged, the gloomy area between sad and outraged.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, Stewart playing obtuse fool for comedic effect really didn't come off as funny to me

Kind of annoying more than anything else

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    deowolf wrote: »
    Yeah, I may have to quit watching these shows again because they make me sadraged, the gloomy area between sad and outraged.

I'm in the same boat.

Every time I watch TDS anymore I am filled with a barely contained world destroying rage.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did they break both the sites? :<

Jintor on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just went to ColbertPAC.

It's the logo and a button saying 'Join us'.

I clicked it.

It asked for my e-mail address.

I gave it.

'An unexpected error occurred.'

The end.

EDIT: Tried again.

'Thank you for your submission.'

The end again.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    I just went to ColbertPAC.

It's the logo and a button saying 'Join us'.

I clicked it.

It asked for my e-mail address.

I gave it.

'An unexpected error occurred.'

The end.

EDIT: Tried again.

'Thank you for your submission.'

The end again.

I got in. They're probably getting hammered right now.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Colbert has created a monster.

When more forumers can confirm the site is up and running fine I'll toss up a link in the OP.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Good. This is exactly the kind of thing this country needs.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I wonder if Glenn Beck is going to accuse Colbert of "tapping the youth" again. Oh boo hoo, TDS and CR are using tools / methods the right-wing uses against them!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I wonder if Glenn Beck is going to accuse Colbert of "tapping the youth" again. Oh boo hoo, TDS and CR are using tools / methods the right-wing uses against them!

Of course he will.

Him and New Hampshire.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
This discussion has been closed.