As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teach me to drink whiskey!

Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, having grown my beer tastes over the last couple years so that I can enjoy the darkest porters and stouts to the most bitter IPAs I have decided it's time to move on to liquor. Not mixed drinks, I'm perfectly good at knocking back screwdrivers and whiskey sours, but straight liquor. Whiskey is where I'd like to start. Plain old whiskey, scotch, bourbon, whatever. Everyone drinks that stuff from cultured gentlemen to drunk scottsmen to cowboys.

I've got a bottle of Jim Beam Black and was out of sour mix this weekend, so figured I'd give that a try. I poured myself 2 or 3 tall shooter glasses worth into a glass and got to sipping. It was not terribly enjoyable. So teach me how to enjoy this like a manly man.

Jimmy King on

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Drink more of it.

That's pretty much how I got to enjoy it.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jim Beam Black? There's your problem, sir. Go to the liquor store, pick up a bottle of Jameson or Johnny Walker (Red or Black) to get you going. Jim Beam is streets behind.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My favourite is Glenfiddich. Delicious.

Jameson is alright, but I've only drank it the once when I was at their distillery in Dublin, so I can't really give a final verdict on it.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh James is definitely not the best whiskey out there. However, It is cheap enough, easy to find, and accessable to a beginner.

Glenn is the tits as well.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, the 'proper' way to drink whiskey is with just a drop of water, no ice.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Jim Beam Black? There's your problem, sir. Go to the liquor store, pick up a bottle of Jameson or Johnny Walker (Red or Black) to get you going. Jim Beam is streets behind.

:^:

Also a thumbs up for saying "streets behind" :lol:

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    are you drinking it neat?

i'd try it with water or ice (my preferred way) until you get to the really good (read: expensive) stuff

for cheap stuff, i like Jameson... about the same cost as Jim Beam black but much smoother IMHO

Johnny Walker (whatever color fits your budget) seems to go down easy too.

illig on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For me at least, bourbon eased me into whiskeys and got me ready for scotch. Try Knob Creek or some Bookers and you oughta be off to a nice start. Once you get into single malt scotches, you've gotta try the quarter cask Laphroaig at some point.

You'll want to try any whiskey neat and then with a bit of water, as the water will bring out some different flavors/aromas.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    KanKan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Get ye flask.

Take it with you to work.

Kan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is Jameson much cheaper than Glenfiddich in the US?

In Canada they seem to be about the same price. (Well, LCBO says Glenfiddich is $1 more for 750ml than Jameson.)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grab some Seagram's 7 and chase it with your beverage of choice. Eventually you'll come to love the taste and enjoy the slight burn, and ditch the chaser.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not a huge whiskey drinker (yet), but I do like me some Makers Mark.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

I would stay clear oh Johnny Walker Red for a person who wants to enjoy their first foray into whisky. If you have to drink scotch on the cheap, go with Famous Grouse, otherwise get some decent Irish whiskey like Jameson's or some excellent bourbon like Woodford Reserve for about ten dollars more.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You may find this helpful

flavor_map.jpg

Usagi on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whiskey is my drink of choice, particularily scotch, or maybe an irish whiskey. So forthwith, my opinions:

Bourbon is a horrible abomination against the taste buds, though if you've got a corn-syrup infected palate, I'm sure the sweetness may not cause you to vomit.

Johnnie walker red similarly offends me sensibilities and should be ashamed to call itself a scotch. I will accept black mixed with coke if that's all a bar serves. Blue is quite drinkable, but you're better off spending your money on something much cheaper for the same quality.

I'm generally of the opinion that most blended whiskeys aren't fit for much more than further blending with coke, followed by a vodka shot to wash the taste away (ie, Dan's express road to drunk-ville).

There are some good blends - Chivas Regal is a decent widely available whiskey. Really mild flavour that's easy to drink but still tastes like scotch should - a great starter whiskey. I'd say start here on your journey.

Jamesons and Glenfiddich are both fine drinks, and exhibit some of the stronger (and harsher) whiskey flavours that you get from a single malt. They're both fairly good examples of what you should expect from a whiskey. The difference between an irish and a scotch whiskey is mainly nothing to concern yourself with. I'm much more partial to Glenfiddich, but I wouldn't laugh at you if you preferred Jamesons.

My go-to whiskey is Laphroaig, which basically tastes like liquid smoke. Not a good idea to start on, but nom nom nom nom nom.

Putting ice in a whiskey is fine - as long as you're using a heavy glass so that your hands don't melt the ice too quickly. One or two cubes of ice will do it, but more ice is fine if you drink it before it melts and waters down your scotch too much. Most whiskeys benefit from having some added water - whether adding it direct or letting it come from melted ice is fine.

Icing whiskey tends to take a lot of the harshness off it, so I highly recommend that if you're easing your way in.

soxbox on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok people, time for some education. Stop referring to scotch as whiskey.

Whiskey = American, Canadian, Irish

Whisky = Scotch. It's spelled this way with Japanese scotch as well. Makers Mark spells it whisky as a nod to the owner who has Scottish heritage.

OP. You poured yourself how much? Start with two fingers.

The person who said bourbon is an abomination is a goose among gooses. If you don't mind spending the money, drop $50 on a bottle of Blantons. Amazing Kentucky bourbon.

Also, Jameson's is disgusting. If you're going Irish, go Bushmills on a budget or Redbreast if you want to drop a little cash.

Esh on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not a huge whiskey drinker (yet), but I do like me some Makers Mark.

As do I.

Start with ice. It makes it much easier. As soxbox said, use the ice sparingly...you want it chilled, but not too deeply watered down. Then sip away. Mmmmmm........

But yeah, Maker's Mark or Chivas are nice, mainstream choices to start with. Glenfiddich it fantastic as well, though pricey.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just pour it in a glass and drink it. It's easier to drink whiskey when it's cold, but you don't get the full taste.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    I just pour it in a glass and drink it. It's easier to drink whiskey when it's cold, but you don't get the full taste.

Yeah, a lot of times though you aren't really ready for the full taste right off the bat. I drank it on ice for a couple weeks before I could really enjoy it neat.

EDIT: And thanks, fuckers. Thanks to you I'm working on a glass of Chivas as I type this.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    for scotch Macallan 18yr. Sherry Oak
    is my favorite drink, it's super smooth, not smoky, sorta like warm liquid spicey candy but more complex, mmmm. it's just a tad expensive

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I may have phrased that oddly - when I said Jamesons and Glenfiddich are "fine drinks", I meant they were fine as in 'passable', not fine as in 'nice'. I used those two as examples more for widely available single malts than paragons of quality. (Actually, glenfiddich is both definitions of fine, especially when a little older).

I stand firmly by my anti-bourbon stance. Corn is not a whiskey, whisky, or wise ingredient in my book.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    soxbox wrote: »
    I think I may have phrased that oddly - when I said Jamesons and Glenfiddich are "fine drinks", I meant they were fine as in 'passable', not fine as in 'nice'. I used those two as examples more for widely available single malts than paragons of quality. (Actually, glenfiddich is both definitions of fine, especially when a little older).

I stand firmly by my anti-bourbon stance. Corn is not a whiskey, whisky, or wise ingredient in my book.

Jamesons isn't a single malt.

Esh on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Me and my friend decided to do the same thing as you one day. We tried going into it straight, but couldn't it was just too much. So we started with smaller amounts, and watered down. And cut the water out as we went along to get used to the stronger flavor.

We were using Tullamore Dew and Crown Royal for this. So not the best stuff, but better than the worst stuff.
    Eventually we both decided we just didn't like whiskey, and moved on.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yea, Ewom, it's not really for everybody. Still, I enjoy it, and I say it's worth a shot. It's definitely an acquired taste either way, but I agree that not everybody acquires it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hi,

I have become a fan of: Grand Old Parr, Chivas Regal 12, and Dewards 12. I pour it in a crystal cup to be able to smell it before drinking it, add a little amount of water and enjoy.

Play some music in the background and relax.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Awesome, thanks guys. I'll pick up some more sour mix to finish off this bottle of Beam and then will try your suggestions. The nice thing about our local state run liquor stores is that all of those suggestions are available all the time.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks guys. I'll pick up some more sour mix to finish off this bottle of Beam and then will try your suggestions. The nice thing about our local state run liquor stores is that all of those suggestions are available all the time.

Please do not use a "mix". Make your own.

2oz bourbon
    1oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
    3/4oz simple syrup (simply a 1:1 mixture of boiling water and sugar, make a batch of it)

Shake it up with ice. You'll thank me later.

Also, note that there's a ton of people in here recommending you scotch whisky which is an ever more acquired taste than whiskey. Be warned. I have no idea why they're not making a differentiation. There's generally a huge alcohol thread over in D&D where people are probably going to be a bit more knowledgeable.

Esh on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Despite the naysaying above, Johnny Walker makes a few decent whiskeys. The black, blue, and green labels generally get decent ratings (80 and above) on review sites and in magazines. JW Black is carried at pretty much every supermarket so it's a pretty good standby if you can't get something better.

I'm not a fan of bourbon either, except certain mixed drinks require it. Mint julep, in particular.

Also, there's no "right" way to drink whiskey. Straight, mixed, with a splash, on the rocks - it's all good. People who tell you otherwise are just compensating for their small penises.

The only real rule is that mixing decent scotch (ie, anything better than JW Black) is a waste - why mix a $40 scotch when a $15 whiskey will do?

As for mixed drinks, my favorites are sazerac, old fashioned, and manhattans. I don't like whiskey sours, they taste like cat urine to me. The old fashioned and the manhattan are particularly good for new whiskey drinkers, as the sugar or sweet vermouth (respectively) cuts a little of the harshness of the whiskey and if they're made properly they shouldn't detract from the flavor of the whiskey too much (unlike a whiskey sour, in which I find the citrus just overpowering).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Also, there's no "right" way to drink whiskey. Straight, mixed, with a splash, on the rocks - it's all good. People who tell you otherwise are just compensating for their small penises.

I agree completely. Also, I'll add that if you don't like it and it makes you nauseous, don't force yourself to like it. I can't stand tequila and I'm never going to force myself to drink it. The smell makes me want to vomit and having that odor in my mouth won't help any better. So, there's nothing wrong with not liking a certain liquor. Though, whiskey is awesome.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a creature of habit. Talisker. It was my father's drink and now it's mine.

In general, it's better to get good whiskey and drink it rarely than to drink gallons of the bad stuff.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    In general, it's better to get good whiskey and drink it rarely than to drink gallons of the bad stuff.

Oh, I totally agree with this. For all liquor, in fact. IMO liquor should be a treat, not a habit.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you care to try a rye, I loves me some Rittenhouse. Mmmmm, spicy!

Chickeen on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Also, the 'proper' way to drink whiskey is with just a drop of water, no ice.

A few years ago I was at a jazz club in Vancouver and I ordered a premium scotch on the rocks (macallan 10 year cask strength if i recall) and they served it to me full of crushed ice cubes. I wasn't even paying attention when it was put on the table - too busy listening to jazz - so I was half finished it before I realized what they had done.

I should have complained.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I keep a bottle of Fiddich around for when friends who don't get whisky want a sip. They don't get the differences in the better ones I have and generally don't like it (why they keep trying is beyond me, but what the hell right?). For myself, I love Macallan 12 or better for a good general drink. It's well rounded and I find it mild. That said, I prefer Oban 14 and I have some rare stuff that is great too, but definitely stronger and only my scotch drinking friends seem to like. Try some of the peatier stuff if you want to experiment. The different regions all offer different flavours and within a region the variety is fantastic. You'll find some you like, some you don't, and it's a fun thing to experiment with. I'd recommend avoiding the blends for the most part. That said there are a couple that are pretty decent. To some extent you get what you pay for, there are exceptions, but I average about $90 (CAN) for a bottle. The cheap doesn't taste as well to me, but then if you develop a taste for it you'll know what you want to keep around.

For what it's worth, I currently go to my Macallan 21, Ardbeg 10 (honestly, if it's not at least 10 years old why bother?), and to give you an idea of he range, my Glen Breton 14 single/single cask strength (14yrs old, single malt, single cask, it's not scotch precisely, but omg it's amazing).

Water advice and such form the others is right on. Some like it, some don't, and so long as you're enjoying yourself then who's to complain?

edit: When I suggested the peatier stuff I meant it. Grab a mini of Lagavulin, Arbeg, or Laphroaig and see what you think. It's a wildly different experience!

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh hey, just occured to me. If you're looking to try a bunch of scotches and want to keep the cost down you can often find pubs and liqueur stores holding tastings. Pay a fee, get some food often and taste from a few to a whole bunch of scotches.

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr. ClarkMr. Clark Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Southern Comfort.

There's some whiskey in there i think, or whatever.

just drink it.

Edit: Also, if you want to impress your freinds who know a thing or two about alcohol, drink Old Grandad.

Mr. Clark on
    They're just animals. How could they cut the power?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    I agree completely. Also, I'll add that if you don't like it and it makes you nauseous, don't force yourself to like it.
    It didn't make me nauseous or anything. It just wasn't quite the awesome experience I was hoping for. I like whiskey and have had many a whiskey sour and knocked back plenty of shots of Beam and JD with no intention of truly experiencing them. So I figure it'll just be like getting into proper beers was and take a few tries and this would be a good place to ask to get me started.

@Esh - I'll be making the whiskey sours your way this weekend. That sounds tasty and probably cheaper than buying mix.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For scotch I like Aberlour (which tastes like bourbon, kinda).

For bourbon, I like Bulleit.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    GenlyAiGenlyAi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Also, Jameson's is disgusting. If you're going Irish, go Bushmills on a budget or Redbreast if you want to drop a little cash.

So smooth and so delicious. I cannot recommend it enough for an Irish whisky (ey? can't bother checking, even if it's in the same post I'm quoting).

GenlyAi on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're looking for a delicious Scotch on a budget ($27 last time I checked), I recommend McClelland's Islay. It's like chewing on burnt wood except instead of being gross and stupid it's awesome and yummy, and then at some point you are drunk.

I used to only drink bourbon (typical AMERICA FUCK YEAH type mentality) but then my buddy brought over a bottle of that stuff and I never looked back.

It was one of those defining moments where I thought "what the fuck have I been doing with myself up until this point?! I am an idiot."

hatedinamerica on