As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ingredient-centric cook book.

MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been trying to cook more for myself and eat out less. I've thumbed through a few books that have simple recipies but I'm thinking that I'm taking the wrong approach. Instead of looking at a recipie and purchasing ingredients around that, is there a beginner's cookbook that starts with a list of ingredients and has several recipies that revolve around this list?

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
301787-1.png
Muriden on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know of any actual books that offer that, but there are websites that will, like Supercook and Allrecipes.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Joy of Cooking has a good section on "know your ingredients"

The whole book is my bible. I'm completely serious. Lots of great recipes, and it does have a version of what you're looking for. Whether it's exactly what you're looking for will require you going to a book store and taking a peek at it. It should be in most new book stores.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    strakha_7 wrote: »
    The Joy of Cooking has a good section on "know your ingredients"

The whole book is my bible. I'm completely serious. Lots of great recipes, and it does have a version of what you're looking for. Whether it's exactly what you're looking for will require you going to a book store and taking a peek at it. It should be in most new book stores.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I will second The Joy of Cooking. It has been my favorite "go to" book for cooking for the past few years. A lot of my cooking ideas have been inspired by this book.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know it's not what you asked for, but, when you want to branch out I suggest The Pioneer Woman Cooks. I like it because she uses a LOT of pictures for every step and when cooking an unfamiliar dish it's so helpful. Also, it may make you more comfortable making things you may have thought too complicated before.

Also, once you have been cooking for a while you get the feel of what things you should be stocking in your pantry and such. Flour, sugar, stock, spices, etc. And for cooking, to cut down my shopping bill I've been shopping once a week. I make a one week meal plan, make my list from that, and then shop. It's helped pare things down a lot. I've also been using the crock pot a ton like that, and knowing you have a hot meal waiting at home already made sure does cut way down on spontaneous fast food.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    There's a particularly massive cookbook I've been eyeing called Starting with Ingredients, which I've heard good things about. I've never actually used it though, so I can't vouch for its recipes.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Muriden wrote: »
    I've been trying to cook more for myself and eat out less. I've thumbed through a few books that have simple recipies but I'm thinking that I'm taking the wrong approach. Instead of looking at a recipie and purchasing ingredients around that, is there a beginner's cookbook that starts with a list of ingredients and has several recipies that revolve around this list?

Honestly, I would suggest checking out what's available at your local library. Usually there's a plethora of cookbooks, and I've found that I often glean the information I want from a cookbook rather quickly, and then have a giant book that I never use anymore because either I a) love the recipe and do it from scratch with my own modifications or b) don't like the recipe and never open the book again. For those in between, I tend to just remember "oh yeah, chicken with garlic, I'll google that" and end up with new and interesting ideas.

Your situation is very common among people who start to cook. As you cook more, you'll notice that a lot of those extra ingredients have found a way into your kitchen, like corn starch or herbs, and you'll crack those early cookbooks less often.

That being said, standards like the Joy of Cooking are typically worthwhile to pick up because they are based on rather broad categories of ingredients and often cover technique as well as tastes. So you can learn how to carve a turkey (and then reference it the following year since how many turkeys do you typically cook, right?), or understand the different methods of creating pie filling based loosely on acidity of ingredients. The one book I frequently reference is not actually a cookbook at all, but a vegetable book. It just has most every kind of vegetable, the different varieties thereof, things to look for and basic cooking instructions.

But for recipes and tips to get started, check the library. Not only can you easily scan them to see if they have anything worthwhile, but you're not out any money if they end up not very good or sitting unused after a month.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Two options I know of, neither are cookbooks.
    First is Rachael Ray magazine. Every issue they have a menu in it where its ets out a shopping list and meals for each night and ideas for leftovers for the day. Pick up an issue and check it out, see if you like it. You can get cheap subscriptions online. Like two bucks for a year if you wait for slickdeals or tanga.

Second is there are websites that specialize is this type of thing. I can't recall off the top of my head, but google something like weekly menus and youll find a bunch of sites that include shopping lists and menus to go with it.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rachel Ray also put out a cookbook in which all the recipes drew off the same pantry. The idea was, you take the pantry list and stock up on everything. And then each recipe would just use stuff from the pantry plus a couple fresh ingredients that you could grab in five minutes at the market. I can't remember the title though.

I think the Betty Crocker Cookbook also has a list of pantry items to get you started. If you're just starting cooking for yourself you should really get the Betty Crocker Cookbook anyway, it's an excellent cookbook for beginners. Lots of "this is how you chop an onion" type stuff.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How To Cook Everything is quite good too... the author focuses on one ingredient and offers up a few variations on recipes for it, plus a lot of core or basic recipes with suggestions to change it up with new spices or subbing different ingredients in. My mom got me this book (original edition) a number of years ago and I used it so much it fell apart and I had to get a new copy :/ so... gooooood

ihmmy on