As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It doesn't get better.

AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Social Entropy++
My friend Violeta wrote this for our satirical newspaper (at the University of Maryland) and I would like to share it with as many people as possible:

A Message from the President

In the past couple of months, at least nine young people have taken their lives because of homophobic bullying endured at the hands of their peers. As a result, several celebrities have put out videos on youtube explaining, primarily, that it gets better.

I’m not a celebrity. I don’t have a youtube account (okay, I do, but I mostly use it to keep a supply of adorable animals falling asleep readily available). But I, like most people of the myfacetwittr.com generation, do have a message, and feel that it’s at least as important as my opinion on the latest episode of Glee, in that it should be shared with as wide an audience as possible.

Basically, what I think you all should know is this: it doesn’t get better.

That’s not me inciting you to violence or pitching you heedless and terrified into the pit of existential despair while bellowing something appropriately memetic. That’s me being honest. It’s also me being cynical, but in my experience, that kind of helps.

You know the good stuff already: high school ends. You go to college, you make friends. Real ones, who don’t give a shit about your sexual experiences so long as you’re willing to help them have a few of their own. You learn to drink and smoke and hook up with questionable people. You go to bars and maybe get stabbed, although I’d avoid that one. At some point you go to class, probably while hung over. Eventually, you go to enough of them, and you graduate.

You move back in with your parents. You get the kind of job even illegal migrant workers wouldn’t want. You fall in love and you get your heart broken and then you fall in love again, and the cycle continues, because that’s what cycles do. You live.

But guess what? You’re not the only one. Those ignorant, shallow, bigoted jackasses who torment you, the ones that make it their life’s mission to increase your misery, they graduate, too. They get jobs, they live in your country, they vote against your rights. They teach their children to hate your children, to hate children like you were.

So what I’m saying is, it doesn’t just get better. You have to make it better.
You have to fight.

You have to live. You have to vote. You have to write. You have to speak and love and be.
Run for office. Lead by example, lead such a fucking awesome life that other people, your coworkers, your neighbors, the people you avoid eye contact with on the metro, can’t help but realize how awesome you are, too.

Lead a life that shows people who think there’s something wrong with you, that you don’t deserve the space you take up on this planet, that you’re staying on it anyway and don’t give a fuck what they think.

You have to fight.
You have to learn to not care what some people think of you. You have to love your life when right down the street some person is condemning you to hell for living it. And sometimes that person isn’t down the street, sometimes the ignorance is coming from inside the house, and you have to hide who you are and what you want till you can get out.

You have to fight. It’s tough, it’s unfair, and it’s complete and total bullshit, but right now, it’s still necessary, and more importantly, it’s still worth it.

There’s people out there, people you haven’t met yet, that you’ll love. Or that you’ll have a really hot one night stand with, and then the next morning, you’ll wake up, look at them, and think to yourself, Seriously?
There’s friends that you’ll meet and feel like you’ve known forever. TV shows that you’ll watch obsessively and spend hours on forums arguing over. Sporting events that you’ll…enjoy however it is such things are enjoyed, don’t look at me for that one.

There’s movies yet to be filmed and countries yet to be invaded. Careers to be had and rendered obsolete by improvements in technology. Money to invest in market bubbles that will pop.

There’s crappy food to be eaten, to feel as it begins to clog your arteries but not before it saturates your mouth with pure awesome. Catchy pop songs on the radio to pretend to loathe but sing along to at the top of your lungs in your car. Sarah Palin’s inevitable run for higher office, just imagine the malapropisms that’ll come out of that mouth.

And there’s jokes to be made about all of that. There’s power to be gained from the ability to look at the world’s cruelty and the world’s gifts and be able to laugh at them both, because they’re equally random and they’re equally real.

There’s people out there who will spend the rest of their lives worshiping a god that they believe wants them to stand on the side of the road holding a sign proclaiming his hatred for fags. And if they were British that would be marginally less pathetic, but even then, really?

They could be out. They could be living. They could be watching the leaves change or listening to a baby’s laugh or perusing icanhazcheesburger. They could be having sex. They could be enjoying their bible-sanctioned genital pop-and-lock. They could be falling in love.

But they would rather, or actually, the heavenly father they depend on for salvation, would rather they stand by the side of the road and proclaim hate.
How sad is that? How truly, utterly tragic is it, to have lost the ability to live a joyful life in the gamble for a better afterlife?

Don’t be like them. Don’t give up on this world before you’ve had a chance to enjoy it.

So buck up, kiddos. Live your lives. Fight for what you deserve. Take a sad song. Make it better.

Violeta, President of the Maryland Cow Nipple

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
Avraham on

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Homophobes are pretty gay.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Avi, you're good people.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If I wanted to read I wouldn't have dug out my eyes with a rusty spoon.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    2010-08-13.jpg

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, just speaking from the perspective of a practicing Catholic, Leviticus seems like a complete jackass, and I don't put much stock in what he says.

And if that makes me a heretic or whatever, well then, I guess I'm a heretic.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd like to change my answer

ohno.jpg

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I'd like to change my answer

nope, you got it right the first time
    Avi, you're good people.

what can I say, I was surprised and moved by her words. We usually write lowbrow stuff like "I'm Not Crazy Just Because I Built This Moat Around Our House"

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    I didn't log onto the intertrons to read something. This is bullshit.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Levar Burton made reading cool.

If you hate reading then you hate Levar Burton.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm trying to read the op but it makes my eyes hurt

I'm sure it's very meaningful, though

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

But reading made Levar Burton tear his own eyes out!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

But reading made Levar Burton tear his own eyes out!

No, he did that so he could get a prosthetic eyebar that was better than his old eyes.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can you talk to your friend about the difference between "There's" and "There are"

Because that was nice and all but thinking "This person might be retarded" every single line sort of distracts from the message

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone report this for awesome.

Saint on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    saint what is the DEAL with your theme

(i like it)

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh hey cool university of maryland

I go there

FrylockHolmes on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i only have one request.

could you like, space it out maybe with some returns?

it hurts my eyes to try and read that

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Returns

What are you, old

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LOOK, YOU YOUNG SMART ASS WHIPPERSNAPPER

WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU GET OFF TELLIN' ME WHAT RETURNS ARE CALLED?!

WHAT'RE YOU, FRIENDS WITH THAT WUSS, BEN URICH?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, just speaking from the perspective of a practicing Catholic, Leviticus seems like a complete jackass, and I don't put much stock in what he says.

Martin Sheen says it pretty well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSXJzybEeJM

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How does it feel to be related to Parker by marriage now, Old Man?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

Martin Sheen says it pretty well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSXJzybEeJM

God I love that clip.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this is good

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm uh.. pretty sure it wasn't written by "Leviticus"

Unless you know that and were making a joke

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Artreus wrote: »

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited November 2010

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

Is that 4chan scream because I was being dumb and not getting your joke or because you didn't realize something?

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    4chan is so two-thousand-and-late

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

Is that 4chan scream because I was being dumb and not getting your joke or because you didn't realize something?

The latter.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, I've never actually been to 4chan.

I feel as if I'm missing out on something, but nothing I want, like a chainsaw vasectomy.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    A lot of the humor trickles down to places like here anyway

Artreus on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've looked at 4chan, but I'm pretty sure it's not what it used to be, you know?

Solar on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A lot of the humor trickles down to places like here anyway

This is the only place I need.

I don't even like reading Erfworld anymore and Order of the Stick moves too slowly these days.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't think you would mind something moving slowly since you are darth waiter hee hee

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    4chan is like the poo-holding tank in a portable toilet.

Occasionally someone will drop something valuable in there, but there's always someone available to dig through the shit to retrieve it for you.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    that comparison doesn't seem very apt I don't think anyone would do that for me

Faynor on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    look faynor 4chan is like the guy who is supposed to pick you up at the airport but then oversleeps and when you act kind of angry about it he gets pissy and it's like yeah okay it happens but I have a right to be angry about it anyway for a little while you know

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

uh duh it was like THE GENUINE WORD OF GOD. so obv fags should burn.

-crazy christian fundie who doesn't comprehend that people didnt speak King James english in the ancient Middle East.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, I ignore Leviticus' restrictions on diet and such because the gay thing was the only important part, of course

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also because you like eating cake you fat fatty.

Inkyblots on