Options

Portland Oregon Bombing Plot, Good Police Work or Heavy-Handed Entrapment?

DoctorArchDoctorArch CurmudgeonRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
For those that don't know, last Friday night, on November 26, a man was arrested attempting to blow up a car bomb in downtown Portland at the Christmas Tree lighting ceremony where 10,000 people were in attendance. No one was in any danger at any time, as the bomb was a carefully orchestrated sting operation to capture this man:

27portland-articleInline-v2.jpg

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, a 19 year old Somali-born immigrant. The full story can be found here at the New York Times, and here at the Oregonian.

Here's the story from the Oregonian, spoiled for huge:
The FBI thwarted an attempted terrorist bombing in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square before the city's annual tree-lighting Friday night, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Oregon.

A Corvallis man, thinking he was going to ignite a bomb, drove a van to the corner of the square at Southwest Yamhill Street and Sixth Avenue and attempted to detonate it.

However, the supposed explosive was a dummy that FBI operatives supplied to him, according to an affidavit in support of a criminal complaint signed Friday night by U.S. Magistrate Judge John V. Acosta.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, a Somali-born U.S. citizen, was arrested at 5:42 p.m., 18 minutes before the tree lighting was to occur, on an accusation of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction. The felony charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The arrest was the culmination of a long-term undercover operation, during which Mohamud had been monitored for months as his alleged bomb plot developed.

"The device was in fact inert, and the public was never in danger," according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

The investigation involved the FBI, Oregon State Police, Portland Police Bureau, Corvallis Police Department and Lincoln County Sheriff's Office.

"This defendant's chilling determination is a stark reminder that there are people -- even here in Oregon -- who are determined to kill Americans," said Oregon U.S. Attorney Dwight Holton. "The good work of law enforcement protected Oregonians in this case -- and we have no reason to believe there is any continuing threat arising from this case."

According to the FBI affidavit, the case began in August 2009 when Mohamud was in e-mail contact with an unindicted associate overseas who was believed to be involved in terrorist activities. In December 2009, while the unindicted associate was in a frontier province of Pakistan, Mohamud and the associate discussed the possibility of Mohamud traveling to Pakistan to participate in violent jihad.

The associate allegedly referred Mohamud to a second associate overseas and provided him with a name and e-mail address. In the months that followed, Mohamud made several unsuccessful attempts to contact the second associate.

Ultimately, an FBI undercover operative contacted Mohamud in a June 2010 e-mail under the guise of being an associate of the first unindicted associate.

Mohamud and the FBI operative agreed to meet in Portland a month later. Mohamud allegedly told the FBI operative that he had written articles that were published in Jihad Recollections, an online magazine that advocated holy war.

Mohamud also indicated he intended to become "operational," meaning he wanted to put an explosion together but needed help. The two met again in August 2010 in a Portland hotel.

"During this meeting, Mohamud explained how he had been thinking of committing some form of violent jihad since the age of 15," the affidavit says. "Mohamud then told (the FBI operatives) that he had identified a potential target for a bomb: the Christmas tree-lighting ceremony in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square on Nov. 26, 2010."

The FBI operatives cautioned Mohamud several times about the seriousness of his plan, noting that there would be many people, including children, at the event, and that Mohamud could abandon his plans at any time with no shame.

"You know there's going to be a lot of children there?" an FBI operative asked Mohamud. "You know there are gonna be a lot of children there?"

Mohamud allegedly responded he was looking for a "huge mass that will ... be attacked in their own element with their families celebrating the holidays."

Mohamud dismissed concerns about law enforcement, explaining that, " ... It's in Oregon; and Oregon, like, you know, nobody ever thinks about," according to the affidavit.

"The threat was very real," said Oregon's FBI Special Agent in Charge Arthur Balizan. "Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale. At the same time, I want to reassure the people of this community that, every turn, we denied him the ability to actually carry out the attack."

Mohamud maintained his interest in carrying out the attack and spent months working on logistics.

He allegedly identified a location to place the bomb and mailed bomb components to the FBI operatives, who he believed were assembling the device. He also mailed them passport photos so he could sneak out of the country after the attack, according to the affidavit.

He provided the FBI operatives with a thumbdrive that contained detailed directions to the bomb location and operational instructions for the attack.

On Nov. 4, Mohamud and the FBI operatives traveled to a remote spot in Lincoln County, where they detonated a bomb concealed in a backpack as a trial run for the upcoming attack.

On the drive back to Corvalis, FBI operatives quizzed Mohamud about whether he was capable of looking at the bodies of those who would be killed in his planned Portland attack.

"I want whoever is attending that event to leave, to leave either dead or injured," Mohamud reportedly told the FBI operatives, the affidavit says.

Later that day, Mohamud recorded a video of himself with the FBI operatives in which he read a written statement offering his reasons for the planned Portland bombing.

On Nov. 18, FBI operatives picked up Mohamud to travel to Portland, where they would finalize details of the attack.

David S. Kris, assistant U.S. attorney general for national security, said, "The complaint alleges that Mohamud attempted to detonate what he believes to be a vehicle bomb at a crowded holiday event in downtown Portland, but a coordinated undercover law enforcement action was able to thwart his efforts and ensure no one was harmed. "

Good police work, right? Wrong, says Glenn Greenwald over at Salon.com. Linky. Glenn makes the claim that the FBI could be responsible for coercing Mr. Mohamud into participating in the activity. But, as a commenter points out, Glenn ignores or interprets events in a different fashion than reported in the NYTimes:
" First, the FBI was monitoring the email communications of this American citizen on U.S. soil for months (at least) with what appears to be the flimsiest basis: namely, that he was in email communication with someone in Northwest Pakistan, "an area known to harbor terrorists" (para. 5 of the FBI Affidavit).

The New York Times describes this part much differently.

"The F.B.I.’s surveillance started in August 2009 after agents intercepted his e-mails with a man he had met in Oregon who had returned to the Middle East, according to a law enforcement official who described the man as a recruiter for terrorism. According to the affidavit, the man had moved to Yemen and then northwest Pakistan, a center of terrorism activity."

Again GG

" that he was in email communication with someone in Northwest Pakistan, "an area known to harbor terrorists"

The New York Times

"with a man he had met in Oregon who had returned to the Middle East, according to a law enforcement official who described the man as a recruiter for terrorism."

GG

" Is that enough to obtain court approval to eavesdrop on someone's calls and emails?"

Yep. What more would you want?

Does Greenwald have a point, or is he being unnecessarily contrarian?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
DoctorArch on

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What in the Lord's fuck?

So this kid... emails some guy who may or may not have been a terrorist, who forwards him onto a second guy, who gives no response. And instead of continuing to monitor his communication--in case he actually got in touch with some terrorists--they set up an elaborte scheme to entice him into committing a crime?

This is disgusting. And they've accomplished nothing!

God damn I hate living in the US sometimes.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As long as it was his idea to want a bomb, providing a fake bomb is not entrapment.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is how I read it.

Guy apparently wants to be a terrorist or commit a crime. But nothing happens in the way of planning, like at all.

... So the FBI then creates a plan to bring this guy into a dramatic arrest. Rather than continue to monitor him for an actual plot or information-gathering on actual terrorist communication.

Publicity stunt is go.

Henroid on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Times worships government power, so their view is probably pretty shaded. Regardless, this is why we have trials.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    unless something crazy comes out to contradict that story, if they can convince a jury that it wasn't entraptment, then i'm ok with it

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aioua wrote: »
    And instead of continuing to monitor his communication--in case he actually got in touch with some terrorists--they set up an elaborte scheme to entice him into committing a crime?
    Man power and resources are not infinite. If you're certain someone's trying to commit a crime if they were just given the resources there's not much of a point in waiting for them to actually get a hold of something actually dangerous.

Actually, as far as I can tell, they've removed someone willing to set off a car bomb in a crowded area out of society.

Now, this does not mean such a method can not be abused. But that is why we have trials. If the defense can demonstrate entrapment then by all means let them.

Quid on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll apologize for this being a little off topic in advance.

Is he doing the pouty-facebook-lips thing for his mugshot?

I want to slap that expression off the face of anyone who uses it. So much.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Actually, as far as I can tell, they've removed someone willing to set off a car bomb in a crowded area out of society.

Yeah but, did he have the means to do it? Because by the look of things, he didn't have the means. His supposed terrorist pals left him hanging.

I mean, yeah, arrest him and all, but did they really need the theatrics?

Henroid on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

Yeah but, did he have the means to do it? Because by the look of things, he didn't have the means. His supposed terrorist pals left him hanging.

In previous similar cases, defense lawyers have argued up and down that, "He was angry, but never intended to commit any crime," and honestly, as far as reasonable doubt goes, that is a powerful defense.

Whereas now the FBI has him dead to rights because he clicked a button to murder hundreds of people and there's no good defense against that.

I'd far rather them give him a fake bomb and secure a conviction now than not do so and risk losing a conviction and have him still out there and dangerous.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I guess the thought was "arrest him on what?" While he may have never had the means, he apparently (which Greenwald takes exception to) had the intent. The FBI needed to establish that he still had the intent after acquiring the means, hence the need for the theatrics, otherwise there was no case.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Whereas now the FBI has him dead to rights because he clicked a button to murder hundreds of people and there's no good defense against that.

He actually clicked the button twice after it didn't work the first time.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    He was being monitored though. They were aware of his actions. If he was actually arranging for a bomb, they would know.

I'm not defending the guy, here's my position:

If he had terrorist ties, they could've kept an eye on him and follow that communication route, for info or to capture others.

And again, the theatrics make it seem like an anti-terrorism publicity stunt. Like, "Hey see we are doing our jobs!" even though everything was setup by them; otherwise it'd be a boring trial of "So here's the e-mails of you wanting to kill people."

Henroid on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm not one to give a lot of trust to government authority, but that's exactly why I'm glad they nailed him now instead of trying to monitor him indefinitely. If he ever had the opportunity he clearly would have acted on it, and in ten or twenty years after they've had a million other leads they might have lost track of him.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    He was being monitored though. They were aware of his actions. If he was actually arranging for a bomb, they would know.

If he had terrorist ties, they could've kept an eye on him and follow that communication route, for info or to capture others.

And again, the theatrics make it seem like an anti-terrorism publicity stunt. Like, "Hey see we are doing our jobs!" even though everything was setup by them; otherwise it'd be a boring trial of "So here's the e-mails of you wanting to kill people."
    DoctorArch wrote: »

He actually clicked the button twice after it didn't work the first time.

Intent is the magic word.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Keeping him under constant surveillance is a horrible waste of resources. It sounds like he didn't actually have any information or contacts of any use. So they decided to bring him in, and needed solid evidence against him to do.

Again, as long as they didn't incite him to do it, but instead simply provided the means, it is not entrapment.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I'm fine with this.

Much like a guy who tries to hire a hitman to kill his wife. He might not even KNOW anyone who will really do it but I'd rather the police set up a situation to catch him trying to than just 'watch' and hope he doesn't someday get the chance or by some means does it on his own, that's putting the wife's life in danger unnecessarily.

In this case the wife is civilians though.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I can see the papers years later: "the FBI knew this guy wanted to commit mass murder, but lacked the ability. So one day he drops off the planet and blows something up while the FBI tries to find him again. What the shit FBI, you should have arrested him when you had the chance!"

Basically: we're really fickle about our law enforcement knowing something is a problem prior to a horrible event and not doing things about it. We're also fickle about them doing something about it.

In this case, the entire thing comes down to what the FBI did/said to get him to the point of trying to detonate a bomb. If they just said "sure, we can provide you with that explosive device", then it's a sting plain and simple (and yes, a huge PR stunt). If they said "oh, you're only a little upset at western culture? Well have you considered blowing up a crowd of people over it? Because we have this bomb here...", then it's entrapment.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

As you pointed out, he doesn't have the actual contacts. Which means the authorities need to either now constantly monitor someone with murderous intentions with the hope that some day he might be able to get in touch with actual terrorists or just go ahead and take him in now before he does something on his own or disappears.

Frankly I'd consider it far more irresponsible/wasteful to let someone willing to commit murder to just sit and stew.

Quid on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Keeping him under constant surveillance is a horrible waste of resources. It sounds like he didn't actually have any information or contacts of any use. So they decided to bring him in, and needed solid evidence against him to do.

Again, as long as they didn't incite him to do it, but instead simply provided the means, it is not entrapment.
    I'm guessing they reached a point in their surveillance where they decided that it was unlikely that monitoring him would yield any useful information. At that point, they reasonably decided it was time to arrest this guy and move on to the next case.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They had every right to arrest the guy

they snagged an idiot after baiting into being a bigger idiot

arresting him fine but let's not pretend we made a real blow to terrorism here

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Oh god no, we didn't strike a blow to shit. We just took an dangerous twit off the streets who wanted to be a mass murdering waterfowl. But I highly doubt any actual terrorist group is going "OH GOD THEY GOT ONE OF US!"

edit: basically, I find this far better police work than the hilarious miami seven or whatever, who were obviously just trying to con the sting agents out of money and had no serious desire to blow shit up.

kildy on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aioua wrote: »

Theoretically, you could say that the FBI was trying for a 'Chris Hansen' effect on would-be domestic terrorists: trying to insert paranoia and use it as a prevention tactic. Is that person you're communicating with really a [strike]12 year-old girl[/strike] terrorist or is it an undercover fed?

Probably not the best tactic ever, but a damn sight better than anything else they've been doing in the last 9 years.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only real gripe I can see anyone having with this is the following: Could this guy, being left to his own devices, have led police to some bigger fish that they could have fried?

It doesn't really seem like it from what I'm reading.

I don't really see an entrapment issue here. A bit of a bait and switch and misinformation, yes. But that kind of stuff happens all the time in police work (cop pretending to be a drug dealer/buyer) and no one bats an eye.

Seems to me like they got a guy off the streets who doesn't need to be there. I'm totally fine with this.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Theoretically, you could say that the FBI was trying for a 'Chris Hansen' effect on would-be domestic terrorists: trying to insert paranoia and use it as a prevention tactic. Is that person you're communicating with really a [strike]12 year-old girl[/strike] terrorist or is it an undercover fed?

Probably not the best tactic ever, but a damn sight better than anything else they've been doing in the last 9 years.

I doubt that was their plan. I think they just wanted to make sure to remove someone willing to potentially commit homicide from society before they moved on to someone else.

Quid on
  • Options
    QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can tell a society is in decay when they worry more about procedure and criminal rights than actually apprehending and incarcerating the criminals.

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Qonas wrote: »
    You can tell a society is in decay when they worry more about procedure and criminal rights than actually apprehending and incarcerating the criminals.

I really hope that's a joke. Otherwise, you are quite the silly goose.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No, that's pretty much the opposite of true.

You can't have a truly free society unless you value the rights of the criminal as much as the rights of anyone else.

Kamar on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

this is probably the dumbest post ever

thank you

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

Hoz on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, what?

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone post the Picard witch hunt clip for our silliest of geese poster

ronzo on
  • Options
    MuncieMuncie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apparently the FBI was tipped off by the guy's Muslim father. FBI started following him, discovered that no more leads were going to come from following him, and established without a doubt intent to commit a crime.

Seems like pretty good work.

He'll get his day in court and the FBI seemingly did its job and he'll go to prison.

It also seems to me that to publicize this one so much might indicate that there just isn't that much going on terror-wise in the U.S. Either that, or since this guy was not of some greater network, you don't risk any ongoing investigations by publicizing the shit out of it.

Muncie on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You've managed to unite the conservative and liberal posters on this board: Man, WHAT? Like, that shit was pounded into the founding of this country, by your logic it's been all downhill since the boston tea party around here. And, you know, in every other country when they decided that randomly arresting/detaining people was a bad way to go about things.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Having spent an evening thinking about this, I think some people on the left grumbling about government entrapment are actually conflating entrapment with enticement, the latter of which is entirely legal and accepted as good police work. In fact, while the facts will come out at trial, the information so far seems to suggest that the FBI went to great lengths to make sure Mohamud was the one in charge of his own destiny. Giving him the chance to drive the bomb, letting him say what he wanted to say in his video claiming jihad, letting him choose where to put the bomb, letting him push the button, twice, to set off the bomb, etc.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Muncie wrote: »
    It also seems to me that to publicize this one so much might indicate that there just isn't that much going on terror-wise in the U.S.
    Yeah, I've seen variations of the headline 'FBI foils terrorist plot to detonate bomb' umphteen million times on my Google News feed, which probably means the same is happening on television. I'm rolleyesing at some of the language that the papers et al are using, or how they're framing this, but meh

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Muncie wrote: »
    It also seems to me that to publicize this one so much might indicate that there just isn't that much going on terror-wise in the U.S.
    Yeah, I've seen variations of the headline 'FBI foils terrorist plot to detonate bomb' umphteen million times on my Google News feed, which probably means the same is happening on television. I'm rolleyesing at some of the language that the papers et al are using, or how they're framing this, but meh

The same thing happened in Dallas and the way the headlines reported it freaked me out. The shock headlines are definitely annoying.

Quid on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As someone who was at that ceremony I can say good thing a bomb didn't go off.

As a citizen, good thing they got that guy.

As a tax-payer, couldn't we have done it a bit quicker?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    kildy wrote: »

Oh god no, we didn't strike a blow to shit. We just took an dangerous twit off the streets who wanted to be a mass murdering waterfowl. But I highly doubt any actual terrorist group is going "OH GOD THEY GOT ONE OF US!"

Yes, exactly.

It's pretty hard to call this entrapment. It's possible, I suppose, that he was incited to violence by FBI contact, but the following passage from the OP makes that unlikely:
    According to the FBI affidavit, the case began in August 2009 when Mohamud was in e-mail contact with an unindicted associate overseas who was believed to be involved in terrorist activities. In December 2009, while the unindicted associate was in a frontier province of Pakistan, Mohamud and the associate discussed the possibility of Mohamud traveling to Pakistan to participate in violent jihad.

The associate allegedly referred Mohamud to a second associate overseas and provided him with a name and e-mail address. In the months that followed, Mohamud made several unsuccessful attempts to contact the second associate.

Ultimately, an FBI undercover operative contacted Mohamud in a June 2010 e-mail under the guise of being an associate of the first unindicted associate.

Mohamud and the FBI operative agreed to meet in Portland a month later. Mohamud allegedly told the FBI operative that he had written articles that were published in Jihad Recollections, an online magazine that advocated holy war.

Mohamud also indicated he intended to become "operational," meaning he wanted to put an explosion together but needed help. The two met again in August 2010 in a Portland hotel.

Whether or not it is entrapment is going to depend a lot on the content of the recorded conversations between Mohamud, the unnamed Pakistani, and the FBI... but it's gonna be a really hard sell if this passage is even remotely accurate.

Also, I could definitely see somebody like this becoming the next John Allen Muhammad or Lee Malvo in the absence of law enforcement intervention.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »

Only at the risk of it actually becoming entrapment I would imagine.

Quid on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »

You don't want to rush law enforcement. The FBI took its time and built up what seems to be a pretty solid case against the guy. If the evidence is as good as it seems, then any decent defense attorney will try and plea if at all possible. This will, in the end, save tax-payer money compared to just arresting people willy-nilly.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts