As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me about the Hitman series

hambonehambone Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
Aren't you glad I didn't title this thread [Opine on]?

Basically, I'm posting to see what G&T thinks of the Hitman series. It seems pretty popular, but for some reason doesn't get a lot of mention here.

I ask because after a game of Deus Ex a few weeks ago, I'm hungry for some first person sneaking and some free-form level exploration. Does Hitman deliver?

If so, which games of the series are worth checking out? And on which platforms?

Are there any recommended mods or other things I should know about?

Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
hambone on

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Hitman games are mostly third-person, though you can play them in first, but it's pretty awkward.

It's also not the kind of sneaking you may be familiar with. Instead of skulking in shadows, most of the stealth involves disguises and blending in where you don't belong.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hitman Codename 47 was my favorite of the ones I played (I also played Hitman 2, Contracts) I tried the demo of the new one (Blood Money) but found it too slow for my liking.

I liked how it took a unique take on everything. How you could steal clothes and it wasnt just all about sneaking but rather about "ok, so how would this person act?" because if enemies saw you disguised as someone who shouldn't be there, they clued in, if they saw a person who wouldn't run running, they clued in.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you can, play all 4. On the PC.

1 is absolutely ancient looking anymore but I think the gameplay holds up. Honestly 3 (Contracts) was my least favorite because I found the missions so boring.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The stealth isn't like the stealth in the Thief series. The funner levels are freeform.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wezoin wrote:
    Hitman Codename 47 was my favorite of the ones I played (I also played Hitman 2, Contracts) I tried the demo of the new one (Blood Money) but found it too slow for my liking.

I liked how it took a unique take on everything. How you could steal clothes and it wasnt just all about sneaking but rather about "ok, so how would this person act?" because if enemies saw you disguised as someone who shouldn't be there, they clued in, if they saw a person who wouldn't run running, they clued in.

the demo for Blood Money is obviously going to be slow since its the tutorial mission.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wezoin wrote:
    If the demo you played was the carnival level, then the rest of the game is nothing like that.

I really like the Hitman series (Blood Money is my favorite 360 game). It's got some of the best deaths and ideas of any game I've played. Also, the fact that you can always go back to levels and find a few other ways to take on a mission adds a ton of replay value.

Pooch on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I played through the first 2, and haven't played one since. I really should go back to the series as it was a lot of fun.

"You're not allowed in here" /heavy azn accent

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    I played through the first 2, and haven't played one since. I really should go back to the series as it was a lot of fun.

You really should go back and play the most recent two. Contracts is at least a little better than Hitman 2, I thought, and Blood Money is by far the best game in the series.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pooch wrote:
    Wezoin wrote:
    If the demo you played was the carnival level, then the rest of the game is nothing like that.
    Wait... so what's it like then? I played the Blood Money 360 demo, and just said 'this isn't Hitman at all and never bothered playing again.

I loved the first Hitman, it was just awesome fun. The second was ok, but a bit too hard for my liking D:

Zoolander on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The theatre level in Blood Money featured two of the most satisfying kills in my history with XBox.

Alpine on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zoolander wrote:
    Pooch wrote:
    Wezoin wrote:
    Wait... so what's it like then? I played the Blood Money 360 demo, and just said 'this isn't Hitman at all and never bothered playing again.

I loved the first Hitman, it was just awesome fun. The second was ok, but a bit too hard for my liking D:
    The rest of the game is like the other games, with a bunch of improvements as far as gameplay goes. It's more open than every other game in the series, and there are many, many more possibilities for doing a mission clean. The demo is the tutorial, which is very linear and walks you through every situation, merely teaching you about a variety of situations you might find yourself in.

It's really not indicative of the rest of the game, but I don't know what else they could have used as a demo.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zoolander wrote:
    Pooch wrote:
    Wezoin wrote:

The Blood money demo is a really linear and forced level. Every other level (except for the very last one, which is still awesome) are big and more open like the other Hitman games.

Seriously go play it.

You get to dress up as a clown in one level.

Pooch on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pooch wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    Pooch wrote:
    Wezoin wrote:

The Blood money demo is a really linear and forced level. Every other level (except for the very last one, which is still awesome) are big and more open like the other Hitman games.

Seriously go play it.

Dress up like a clown and massacre FBI agents with garden sheers.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Play Blood Money. Don't worry so much about the others. Blood Money is the money shot. The last level?

brilliant

Shogun on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pancake wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

You really should go back and play the most recent two. Contracts is at least a little better than Hitman 2, I thought, and Blood Money is by far the best game in the series.
    I'm thinking of playing Blood Money. Do I have to brush up on the story in order to understand this one?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    I'm thinking of playing Blood Money. Do I have to brush up on the story in order to understand this one?

Good question.

hambone on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    Aren't you glad I didn't title this thread [Opine on]?

Basically, I'm posting to see what G&T thinks of the Hitman series. It seems pretty popular, but for some reason doesn't get a lot of mention here.

I ask because after a game of Deus Ex a few weeks ago, I'm hungry for some first person sneaking and some free-form level exploration. Does Hitman deliver?

If so, which games of the series are worth checking out? And on which platforms?

Are there any recommended mods or other things I should know about?

First of all, have you gone through all three Thief games yet? Those are my favorite sneakers ever.

Second, Hitman. I think it's alright as a series. I think they try too hard to be violent and gory at times. The characters are mostly one dimensional, the stories aren't that original, but despite all this they tend to be pretty fun.

The first one I didn't like. The camera and controls are pretty awkward and the missions don't give you enough hints as to what to do. I didn't stick with it very long.

The second was much better with more ways to off someone. Also they added ways to complete every mission with only one kill (the person you're trying to assassinate).

The third (Contracts) was kind of so-so. It had a better mission design than the second but a lot of the missions were remakes of the first game I believe.

I borrowed these from a friend a long time ago and haven't played them since so my memory is kind of fuzzy on them, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Pancake wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

Ha, no. They're interconnected and Contracts takes place in the middle of Blood Money, but it's not necessary at all. They're pretty much all stand alone. I think playing Contracts after Blood Money is a good idea too if you can stand the game not playing as well as BM does.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blood Money is the real sequel to Hitman.

Hitman 2 will just rape you if you don't do things just right. Blood money is kinder.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

Good question.
    Not really, the whole game is mostly flashbacks of 47's missions.

Pooch on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh snap, that guy with the AK killed me. That's okay, I can just reloa-

rayofash on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really enjoyed Blood Money. At the time, despite the lack of much AI and variation, I thought the Mardi Gras level was pretty impressive. And yes, the last mission was a great ending. Even the title screen when I finally noticed what was happening was pretty awesome.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    rayofash wrote:

???

Do these games have bad save points or something?

hambone on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    rayofash wrote:

???

Do these games have bad save points or something?
    On every difficulty below Professional, you have limited saves. On Professional, you get no saves and have to complete the mission in one go. If you die, you start over.

There are no "save points" because the missions are not linear.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pancake wrote:
    Pooch wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    Pooch wrote:
    Wezoin wrote:

Seriously go play it.

Dress up like a clown and massacre FBI agents with garden sheers.
    And then there's the bird costume.

And that prissy little sailor costume.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I couldn't wrap my head around these games. I would get...fairly close to getting a perfect rating in Hitman 2 for the first level...beyond that, I would end up playing the game like it was Rainbow Six.

Well, like a console R6.

The following is a bit spoilish for H2, hambone, but not enough to justify tagging, so meh.

That said, my favorite Hitman moment was playing the Hitman 2 demo and using the all weapons cheat. First level, once again. I managed to blast my way around the house with a pair of Ballers. I got on the roof and dropped down onto the lawyer's balcony. He spotted me through the window, I think, then goons started pouring out both doors, on each side of me. I take out a goon on the far side of the balcony, then spin around as one comes around the corner directly behind me.

I crouch and fire away. The angle is such that the game's absurd physics carry his ragdolling corpse 30 feet into the air and about double that in distance, well out of the level.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Massacre at the Mardi Gras.

Nuff said.

Meiz on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I remember going to a mates place drinking beers playing blood money and choking people to death with a barbell, then blowing up some dudes kitchen, those were fun times.

Of course by the time we finished that level we were far too plastered to figure out what the hell you do with the next level filled with FBI agents in a house or something. How were you supposed to get in besides blasting your way through?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blood money...ooooh.

I can replay the opera house level a million times, and take out the targets a different way each time. So fun.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blood Money is like sex
    Contracts is like unwanted sex, definitely not enjoyable

Pojaco on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anything after the first one is pretty easy to get into, and features some truly good open levels. (Other than the japanese missions in the second one. Blech.) Contracts is decent but not quite up to par with the second game, but Blood Money truly shines. Almost every level is a classic in itself, that can be approached hundreds of ways. Las Vegas anyone?

I would say the first game in the series is great fun, but it has a pretty unintuitive control interface, and is downright unforgiving in regards to what you have to do to play the game. Eventually you become extremely limited in the approaches you can take to certain missions, so you sort of lose that Hitman flavor.

If however you find Contracts to be enjoyable, it redoes many of the Hitman 1 levels, and it fine tunes them to perfection, allowing you to use the enhanced controls and includes more methods of killing.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    S0upS0up Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've only played Hitman 2 and Blood Money, and Blood Money is definitely the best one out of the two. I was playing it for about a good month just replaying missions, trying different things, and even using cheats to just mess around.

Just go buy it, after the tutorial the game picks up pace quickly.

[spoiler:7289e8bd52]"What's with this title screen? Is 47 dead? Oh shit, 47 is gonna die... uh..., why do I have control of the aim cursor?"[/spoiler:7289e8bd52]

S0up on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I found Hitman 2 unpolished, unforgiving, boring, arbitrary, and similar to Splinter Cell in it's linear trial and error approach to stealth.

I've not yet tried Hitman 3, for obvious reasons.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Stigma wrote:
    I found Hitman 2 unpolished, unforgiving, boring, arbitrary, and similar to Splinter Cell in it's linear trial and error approach to stealth.

I've not yet tried Hitman 3, for obvious reasons.
    Contracts and Blood Money are vast improvements in that area. Blood Money especially. But after playing BM, Contracts feels very limiting, even if the missions are open.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Code 47: Never played it, heard the controls were screwy. Some of the best missions apparently were remade with more possible strategies in Contracts.

Hitman 2: I liked it. It was tough, with very suspicious guards. So I'd actually recommend getting Blood Money first. But the story in this one is cool, and between that and a great score, it's the most cinematic of the series.

Contracts: Had its moments, but I wasn't so fond of it. The "story" is told as a series of flashbacks, so it's fairly disjointed. And there were some boring missions that I just wanted to get over with.

Blood Money: Easily my favorite of the bunch. The missions were all interesting, and I got a lot of replay value from retrying them for the "silent assassin" rating. Don't read too much about it beforehand, just let it take you for a ride. The last three levels in particular are epic.

And definitely go for the stealthiest kills possible, with little or no collateral damage. It's the fun of the game. Things get too easy if you just blast away, although occasionally that's fun to do in order to vent frustration at getting caught by the guards.

Only thing I didn't like in Blood Money was the explosives. So I didn't use them. They're not 47's style, IMO.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    HaberdasherHaberdasher Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Huge hitman fan here, have all four games on the PC.

As everyone has said, Blood Money ftw. Most modern, most freedom, best rate of excellent levels. Custom modifcations to your weapons and probably the most cohesive Hitman story (although still quite a bit disjointed and confusing at times).

I actually second Contracts after BM. Drips with a dark atmosphere, and even if the final level doesn't totally deliver, the concept is awesome. The game also makes replaying each level easy and highly rewarding.

[spoiler:1efe0cd99d]Lights are out! Lights are out![/spoiler:1efe0cd99d]

Hitman 2 is fun, but there are too many diluted missions. Good music and fun story, though. And a HUGE improvement over the first, including saves. Worth a playthrough, but it'd be my second choice.

Hitman, Codename:47, the first one, is essentially unplayable now. NO saves, terrible controls, the story is a mess, and there is usually ONE way to complete each mission. Avoid.

Haberdasher on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've only ever played two of the games in the series (2 and Blood Money). 2 was fun. Blood Money was fucking awesome. Easily makes my top five favourite game list.

That last level was indeed brilliant. [spoiler:14b5c0c46d]As she laid the Ballers on 47's chest, I yelled out "Oh you beautiful bitch you" while laughing maniacally in anticipation of the coming bloodbath.[/spoiler:14b5c0c46d]The Mardi Gras level was fun too though. I ended up taking too long to finally reach the second sniper, looking through the window and seeing the last sniper taking aim. I shouted "OH HOLY SHIT!" and took a badly aimed potshot at him, which hit him in the neck. I felt like God. The nail gun was fun too, as was the screwdriver.

Suriko on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've played every Hitman game except the first (which I only had a demo of), and they're all great. Like everyone said, Blood Money's the best, by far. Every single level is made of pure awesome. I especially love the suburban house, in which I always make sure to push the garbage man into the trash compactor.

Blakout on
  • Options
    matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Traditions of the Trade.

Great mission.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shogun wrote:
    Play Blood Money. Don't worry so much about the others. Blood Money is the money shot. The last level?

brilliant
    yeah, fuck-all amazing.

[spoiler:1017893ca5]when the lady had "betrayed" 47 in the cut scene i was like nooooooooooooooo, but then in the cathedral when she leans over and kisses him i realized what was going on, and just about shit myself.[/spoiler:1017893ca5]

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool