As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

to steal someones dog?

NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So today i was driving to my parents house with my baby of 6 months. On the way there, only a few blocks from my parents house i saw a beautiful dog chilling on the side of the road. I got to my parents house and dropped some stuff off, let grandpa see the baby, had a cup of coffee and got on my way. I was there maybe an hour or so. When leaving i see the same dog maybe 1/2 mile from where i saw him before, but this time walking in the road. I pull over, and the dog wags his tail, and comes over to me. He was a German mix, and i got out and pat him. He had a collar but no tags. He looked really thin and cold as it was 23 degrees out. I know they have fur, but i don't know what temperatures dogs can sustain or for how long.
I loaded him up in my car and we drove around for about 40 min and i was knocking on doors. Finally i found the house. The owner is a man in his late 60's early 70's with another small dog in the house.
The owner said that the big dog get out and even last month someone picked him up and brought him to the local shelter. I said the dog should probably have a tag on him then, and the man said "Nah, he doesn't like em"
Between this carelessness of not tagging his dog (even after he got taken to the shelter), leaving him out in 23 degree weather for at LEAST an hour, and the fact he was very skinny, Im seriously considering taking him and keeping him the next time i see him outside 1/2 a mile from home in 20 degree weather.
also the dog didn't want to leave my car, maybe because he was warm, but he REALLY seemed to like me.

Does this make me a terrible person for considering this?
Morally i'm fine with it, but i've gotten a mixed bag of reactions from others. Clearly the shelter knows te condition of the dog and deemed it ok for the owner to take him back, but i question how much the owner cares leaving him out and not even getting him tags.

thoughts? Is it ok to take this dog if i see him out in below freezing weather?

NakedZergling on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You should call the shelter, or even...maybe animal control? Is that a thing they do?

Do not steal the man's dog. It's his dog. As far as I know, animals count as property under the law. He may be a jackass but you should not take the matter into your own hands, given that that is illegal.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Morally, I don't think you have enough information. The dog could just be a handful. I had a dog who would escape my yard several times a week and roam around town before coming back. If we made certain he couldn't escape by tying him up, he'd get really depressed and stop eating. After so many weeks, you just give up and let the dog go. He'd get delivered back to our door regularly by people passing through who were unfamiliar with his antics. Having no tags is kind of negligent but other than that, you can't jump in and decide you know better on someone else's business.

Legally, all you can do is call the local law enforcement who deal with animal abuse and get the dog taken away, then adopt it. Anything else is theft and you would be prosecuted.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Exactly. Listen to SniperGuy.

Your local police probably handle animal control, or else will point you to whatever organization does in your area. Personally, I'd call them (non-emergency, obviously) and explain the situation, and let them handle it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Legally you shouldn't. If I were you though, I'd probably do it. If the man doesn't really care enough about his dog that it's thin and outside in cold weather, I don't think he'd care if someone took the dog.

I know this seems like silly goosery, but I'm being honest.

edit: or buy the dog. yeah that seems waay better.

Mim on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess that is the debate. Do i call? If so will they just rehome him?
    I'm considering just going to the guys house with tags and food, and a few hundred bucks and saying, "Either keep your dog inside, put a tag on him when he's out, and feed him better, or i'm calling animal control. Or heres $300 let me have him"

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's not ok to steal his dog.

Call animal control if you're concerned.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    basically all of that.

call animal control. if they take him to the shelter, than you can adopt him from the shelter.

or, offer to buy the dog. but that's still kind of a dick move and likely to get you shot or something.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What breed is the dog?

There are dogs (ours being one of them) that are perfectly happy sitting out in a foot of snow and below freezing weather for hours on end.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If the guy really doesn't want the dog and you do, offering $100 should work well.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had a dream last night that I stole an awesome dog. Can't remember why, though.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What breed is the dog?

There are dogs (ours being one of them) that are perfectly happy sitting out in a foot of snow and below freezing weather for hours on end.

german shepherd mix

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know that German Shephards are good dogs to have with children. Something you should seriously consider.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Another vote for "don't steal the dog."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My first dog was a female german sheperd and she was the best dog ever. But that having been said, never assume Dog X is crazy and Dog Y is safe around kids, it's never that black and white.

Oh, and don't steal the dog. Either call it in (best choice) or, if we lived in TV land, try and persuade the owner to let you take the dog off his hands (your kid fell in love guilt trip should be effective).

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Also, this is more an H/A thing, since you're looking for specific advice. If you want to open it up for general discussion of... something, lemme know and we can move it back to D&D.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In honor of this threads new home,

break up with the dog.

But yeah, its not your dog to take. Animals are still property.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I was young, still in elementary school, our dog dug her way underneath the fence and escaped. She had done this several times before, but she would usually be brought back by one of our neighbours or would come back of her own accord. After two days had passed, we assumed the worst. My sister and I were so distraught it was hard to function. I remember crying myself to sleep. It was a nightmare for us.

Then one of my dads friends said they saw some people in a house behind us with a dog very similar to ours. My dad went right over there and sure enough, there she was. Only they were refusing to give the dog back. The man who answered the door said his kids were already attached to her and he wasn't going to take the dog away from them. She was tagged (but the tags had "vanished") and tattooed. Ownership was not in question here. My dad tried to reason with the man but he ended up telling us we'd have to take this matter to the law if we wanted her back.

So, my dad turned around, went home and put on his uniform (he was a police officer) and walked right back, badge in hand. Our dog was promptly returned to us.

Moral of the story? You shouldn't take someone's dog. You really don't know the circumstances... and most dogs escape from time to time. The man is old, he probably just can't keep up with the dog and knows he'll come back anyway. This is the case with my current dog. He sometimes gets away and my mom simply can't chase him. If I'm not at home, then he either has to come back on his own or get returned to us.

If abuse is undeniably obvious, then call animal services. You could definitely adopt it afterwards, animal services usually looks favourably upon people who report abuse. You could try buying the dog if you really think you'd be a better owner, but I'm willing to bet that the man is actually attached to the dog.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    dog.jpg

this is the guy i'm talking about

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes neglected pets will attempt to 're-home' themselves with other people. I see it all the time down here, folks around these parts often do not take very good care of their pets. Shepherds are notoriously loyal though. If the dog is out wandering again, take him home again. Tell the owner politely that you really like his dog, and ask if he might be willing to let you have it. He might say yes, but more likely he will refuse. But a byproduct of the refusal would be that he would be much more likely to pay attention to where his dog is and that could correct the problem.

On the other hand, if the dog seems to be actively trying to re-home himself, well then there's your answer. It's not "theft" in any legitimate moral sense if the dog doesn't want to live with a neglectful owner. Note that I say moral sense, and not legal sense, since it would sill legally be theft.

Signs that an animal is trying to re-home itself vice simply wandering (which male dogs, particularly un-neutered male dogs do love to do):

Unwillingness or apparent discomfort/sadness at being returned home
    Obvious desire to go inside/be let inside a home other than his own
    Begging for food from strangers

Police and animal control probably vary from place to place, but in my experiences enlisting their assistance with stray or wandering animals doesn't usually end well for the animal.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm confused, that dog has a collar. Did you give him a collar, or did the owner say the dog objects to merely having something dangle from said collar?

If you want to take direct action: Get him a collar with a flush tag that doesn't dangle? They must make those.

[Edit] I would allow (at least initially) that the owner may love the hell out of that dog, and just be stupid, lazy, or short sighted; but well meaning in general. A wandering dog without a tag runs the possibility of being put in a shelter and put down before the owner can find and collect him. I don't know what happens to an unclaimed dog that gets hit by a car, but I don't imagine it's a scenario the owner would like.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's theft in legal sense, and it's theft in a legitimate moral sense. Also, if you offer to buy the dog off him he's going to be offended, because you're insinuating he's a bad person (whether he is or not. People don't respond well to that.) If you take him a tag, the owner is going to be offended and tell you to get the fuck off his porch.

If you have a moral problem with the way he's treated, animal services, the ASPCA and a variety of other groups are all set up for exactly that reason.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm confused, that dog has a collar. Did you give him a collar, or did the owner say the dog objects to merely having something dangle from said collar?

If you want to take direct action: Get him a collar with a flush tag that doesn't dangle? They must make those.

The OP said the dog had the collar but no tags. The owner said the dog doesn't like anything hanging from his collar

I think the only thing you can do right now is call animal control or your local shelter/SPCA to ask for their opinion. Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do and I think you know stealing him isn't the right course of action, despite your good intentions. Getting the proper people involved is the way to do it

Rayze on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I don't know that German Shephards are good dogs to have with children. Something you should seriously consider.

Depends on the mix.
    I had a german shepard/black lab mix growing up and she was the sweetest dog you'd ever know. But if she felt like you were threatening me, my sisters, or my parents? Those ears sprang up and those lips curled and she would let you know that you were scaring her.

She only bit any of us like twice (aside from playfully grabbing us in our snow suits, when we were roughhousing anyway and she didn't hurt us) and both times were when we were in our teens and she was on her way out.

Besides, Shepards are police dogs. They don't come much more loyal than German Shepards.

As for the matter at home: If you absolutely must have the dog the next time you see it, ask the man. If he refuses, offer to pay. If he still refuses, be on your way, but warn him that if you see the dog out and about again, you won't bother rescuing it, you'll simply call Animal Control. They won't hurt the dog (and make clear you don't intend it as revenge. Just that you can't bear to part with the dog a third time), and they'll likely tell the man that if he cannot care for it, they'll have to find a home for it.
    The man might not be neglectful. This dog might be his last friend in the world, but he knows it'll come back. I know my Shepard mix LOVED the snow, so it's not unlikely he was just out roaming around and got out.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    23 Degrees isn't exactly cold for a dog, at least not one with any fur.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It's theft in legal sense, and it's theft in a legitimate moral sense. Also, if you offer to buy the dog off him he's going to be offended, because you're insinuating he's a bad person (whether he is or not. People don't respond well to that.) If you take him a tag, the owner is going to be offended and tell you to get the fuck off his porch.

If you have a moral problem with the way he's treated, animal services, the ASPCA and a variety of other groups are all set up for exactly that reason.

We have wildly different morals.

To me a dog is not, can never, ever be the same thing as a wrist watch or a door knob.

It takes some real neglect to make a dog not want to live with it's owner.

-edit-

Also, just because the guy is offended doesn't make it the wrong thing to do. My neighbor acquired one of her dogs exactly like that, by asking the owner if she could have the dog, since the dog clearly wanted to live with her and not him.

He was offended. And after a few weeks of the dog continually getting lose and running to my neighbors backyard so it could get some fucking attention (because the owner paid it absolutely none) and my neighbor persistently asking the guy to surrender ownership of the dog to her, he finally did just that.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Nobody should be in here suggesting that he steal the dog, which, whether you like it or not, is legally property.

Offering to buy the dog is perfectly reasonable. The guy may want the cash, or he may be offended, but either way all he needs to do is say no. If he says no, you drop it.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    Nobody should be in here suggesting that he steal the dog, which, whether you like it or not, is legally property.

Offering to buy the dog is perfectly reasonable. The guy may want the cash, or he may be offended, but either way all he needs to do is say no. If he says no, you drop it.

To be fair, I never advised theft of the dog. I talked about the differences in behavior between a wandering animal and an animal attempting to re-home itself. And I think it's useful advice because it could help the OP decide how strongly he feels about needing to act at all in this situation.

I'll repeat my actual advice which was:

If you see the dog wandering again, take it home again, tell the guy you really like his dog, and ask him if you could have it. I wouldn't bring money into it unless you feel like that is going to make the difference.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

i was confused by this too. He had a collar, but no tags.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

...the fuck are you talking about? Unless it's a husky breed, 23F is absolutely cold for a dog.
    '
    And another vote for "don't steal the dog." As others have said, return him again and hint that you'd like to have the dog. But as a word of warning, German Shepherds don't typically do well with small children and have a tendency to be a little neurotic.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011

Anecdotal, but my family had a German Shepard when I was a very small child and it was a fantastic dog (from what I can remember of it).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd steal it. From your post, it sounds like it'll have a better life with you.

Don't listen to the people saying call animal control. What happens when it gets impounded and noone gets it? It gets euthanized in a few months? Fuck that.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrOletta wrote: »
    I'd steal it. From your post, it sounds like it'll have a better life with you.

Don't listen to the people saying call animal control. What happens when it gets impounded and noone gets it? It gets euthanized in a few months? Fuck that.

If they decide it's being abused and take it to the pound, the OP is perfectly capable of going there and getting it themselves.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    chasm wrote: »

...the fuck are you talking about? Unless it's a husky breed, 23F is absolutely cold for a dog.
    '
    And another vote for "don't steal the dog." As others have said, return him again and hint that you'd like to have the dog. But as a word of warning, German Shepherds don't typically do well with small children and have a tendency to be a little neurotic.

Not at all true.

There are many breeds of dog capable of sub freezing exposure with little to no issue for prolonged periods of time.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to work at an animal boarding house, we used to have the same one come for a couple of weeks every other month or so. She was extremely well behaved and hardly ever caused a problem.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chasm wrote: »

'

Not at all true.

There are many breeds of dog capable of sub freezing exposure with little to no issue for prolonged periods of time.

I read somewhere that some dog sledders are starting to use German Shepherds as the lead dog in front of their Huskys. 23F probably isn't that big a deal to a German Shepherd that's acclimated to being outside.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stealing anything is probably highly discouraged on this forum... except when you try to steal Ceres' heart <3

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm probably risking Ceres' wrath with this first bit.

Stealing it is a crime. You shouldn't commit crimes.

However, police have better things to do than to investigate a stolen dog.

In any case, letting a dog wander about in the cold != abuse. At most, you know that the owner was violating leash laws (if there are any). I would hesitate to deprive an owner of its pet unless I had real proof he was abusing it.

oldsak on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrOletta wrote: »

No, what happens is the OP is allowed to adopt it. The dog doesn't get Renditioned to the middle of nowhere. They would just say "I will adopt this dog."

Re German Shephards with children: There are no problem dog breeds. There are problem owners. Being that breed of dog doesn't mean it'll bite a face off. With good training and care, no dog is a danger. Aggression and instincts can be overcome by adequate training. A traumatized dog is a much higher risk though so I hope the dog is not being abused.

So you shouldn't let your child pet a random poodle OR a random doberman. Either could be poorly trained or abused.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    For what it's worth, here's what the AKC has to say about purebred german shepherd dogs:
    Energetic and fun-loving, the breed is very fond of children once a relationship is established. He is a loyal family pet and a good guard dog, the ideal choice for many families. He requires regular exercise and grooming.

Of course, every dog is different. I have a shepherd mix (probably husky, due to parti-colored eyes) and he has distinct aggressive tendencies that would make me hesitant to allow contact with a child in even the best of circumstances.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oldsak wrote: »
    I'm probably risking Ceres' wrath with this first bit.

Stealing it is a crime. You shouldn't commit crimes.

However, police have better things to do than to investigate a stolen dog.

Fortunately animal control does not.

Quid on