As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crysis 2- I would recommend against buying this game

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
vvqLF.jpg

Don't buy this game.
No DX11 at launch
Call of Duty with cloak
No destructible environments
Manages to look worse than Crysis
Suit powers now mostly useless
Floatly controls
Aim assist in PC version
Mouse smoothing on
Motion blur everywhere
NO DX11 AT FUCKING LAUNCH- Stuck with DX9.

More reasons
Retardedly easy to hack (just editing some xml files.)
No advanced visual settings
Even more motion blur than the demo
No way to turn off the motion blur
Single player is a bunch of chest high walls
AI is fucking retarded.
AI can see through walls (pretends it can't)
Corridor shooter with invisible walls everywhere

That_Guy on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm skeptical about how well the gameplay will translate to a more linear city area, since those were the worst parts of the original, but still have it preordered.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Playing the first one now.

It's hella fun.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm curious how the destructible environments will stake up against DICE's Frostbite 2.0 engine.

I loved Crysis 1, though. Will definitely pick this up.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, I never played more than the demo of the original Crysis, but I have Warhead on a shelf. I've never liked Crytek all that much, but when I saw that Rare/Free Radical was making this, I suddenly became much more interested.

I will follow this, and possibly pick it up someday. I hope there's a PC demo on the way.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have seen some more videos. It looks like both the singleplayer and multiplayer will be pretty open ended. I also saw some of the level editor. It looks like the PC is going to be getting a pretty high end editor, something like what we saw in Farcry 2, only in a city setting. Consoles will be getting an editor worthy of the Free Radical name. I added some links to the OP too.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there any news on the engine for this? I'm a little worried that with the move to being a cross platform game we'll see a step backwards graphics wise at least.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BarneyL wrote: »
    Is there any news on the engine for this? I'm a little worried that with the move to being a cross platform game we'll see a step backwards graphics wise at least.

I haven't heard much, myself, but I still feel like the original Crysis looks fantastic even after all this time, so even standing in place would be impressive if they got the optimization down.

Crysis 2 is running on CryEngine 3, if I'm not mistaken. There are some videos out there of the engine being demoed, but they're over a year old. The colors look a little muddied compared to what I remember of the original Crysis, but that's probably just the video.

Cryengine 3 from Oct 2009

One thing I'm wondering about is what kind of DRM we're going to be facing with Crysis. Considering the Crysis games have always carried at least SecuROM, and the fact Cevat Yerli is a tremendous whiner over piracy, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Crysis 2 sported some kind of 'always-online' Ubisoft style DRM.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    BarneyL wrote: »
    I haven't heard much, myself, but I still feel like the original Crysis looks fantastic even after all this time, so even standing in place would be impressive if they got the optimization down.

Crysis 2 is running on CryEngine 3, if I'm not mistaken. There are some videos out there of the engine being demoed, but they're over a year old. The colors look a little muddied compared to what I remember of the original Crysis, but that's probably just the video.

Cryengine 3 from Oct 2009

One thing I'm wondering about is what kind of DRM we're going to be facing with Crysis. Considering the Crysis games have always carried at least SecuROM, and the fact Cevat Yerli is a tremendous whiner over piracy, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Crysis 2 sported some kind of 'always-online' Ubisoft style DRM.

It's being published by EA. They have always been somewhat reasonable when it comes to DRM. Sure punkbuster kind of sucks, but even that is better than many games. I would love to see Crysis 2 have Steamworks integration, but that would be pushing things a bit.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey wait does real-time sandbox editor mean you can design a level with friend(s)? That might be fun.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why do they always put the fucking aliens in the game

Nobody wants to fight those fucking things

Nobody likes them

They're not even cool looking

Just let me fight dudes or aliens who look and act largely like dudes

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    rRootagea wrote: »
    Hey wait does real-time sandbox editor mean you can design a level with friend(s)? That might be fun.

Unless it's radically different from their previous ones, it means that you can just press a button and jump into the level directly from the editor.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Just got to the tank part.

Do you really only get 30 shots?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Can't say I felt I ever really needed more.

Part-way through the level there's another tank as well that you can grab.

subedii on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That multi video? Yeah. It's retarded and staged.

Crytek should actually come out with some gameplay.

Edit: And no, I'm not taking it back because there are "people playing the game fer realz". Its staged.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    subedii wrote: »

And also, there are plenty of missile launchers at each concentration of enemies

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

And also, there are plenty of missile launchers at each concentration of enemies

Yeah, what's awesome about that level is that it's just as viable to get out and do it on foot if you want to. It's a pretty large map.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hmm. I'll give that a try then.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, what's awesome about that level is that it's just as viable to get out and do it on foot if you want to. It's a pretty large map.

My problem wasn't ammo in the tank, it was that my tank got blown sky high almost off the bat.

Ghosting around and taking out checkpoints, planting C4 on tanks, AA guns, etc was more fun anyway.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's the best thing about Crysis. You can choose how you want to play it, and the gameplay will fit around that.

Well, until you get to the linear bits at the end I guess.

subedii on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The XBox 360 closed MP Beta was pretty good. People were swapping classes all the time (stealth, strength, speed) on the fly. Upgrades were plentiful, graphics were great ( I sat there for a couple of minutes just admiring the textures on the ground, the little details scattered around and the overall look). I was surprised the 360 was doing what it was doing. Shame there was only 1 level to run around too, and it was fairly small (basically the rooftop of a building with a small penthouse and garden), I was hoping for at least one larger level, but alas. When players got used to power-swapping, you would start to see things like chasing and shooting guys only for them to disappear out of sight and appear behind you with a knife in the back, or people dashing away at full speed from a large concentration of gunfire. A few objects in the world were destructible, but nothing major like entire walls coming down from a grenade.

Few jarring things like texture fade-in, object pop in and a few other quirks put me off, but hey... BETA. Some pretty crazy things could be done too, like jumping from a height and ground stomping the enemies below resulting in a smattering of flailing bodies. Guns felt awesome, and a few of the favourites sound different (Scar wannabe has more oomph and the shotgun is sex). Theres also a kind of battlechatter like the one seen in BF:BC2 so soldiers will call out snipers and grenades as well as other events in the playfield. At one point, I don't know if it was intentional, I lost all sound for a few matches and so did a few other people. Kinda sucked.

I spent about 8 or so hours just playing the Beta and enjoyed it, it did a large amount of things right and felt fast paced and exciting.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1YDkLIGtqU&hd=1

XBOX 360 DEMO ANNNOUNCED

Mark your calendars for the 25th of Jan.

Edit -> Irony that "Invaders Must Die" was also used for the DNF trailer.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Any word on if the 360 version will have a map editor like Far Cry: Instincts/Predator?

You would think the *Cry* legacy of map editors + Timesplitters team that also had a map editor in their game would = fucking awesome map editor on the 360 version.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So... from the video that Waka just posted, I can roleplay Sam Gideon from Vanquish?

Why are my pants all sticky?

kriegs on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The powers are way exaggerated in that trailer, but I have to admit that gunslide looks cool.

subedii on
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What the heck is a "skill assessment" (as per that video)?

MrMiscreant on
    LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That multiplayer trailer does a good job of making it seem more exciting than the multiplayer in Crysis 1. Although I guess that isn't too difficult.

I don't like that the multiplayer demo is 360 only and I hope that they put out a singleplayer demo for PC.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The fist think that came to mind when I saw that trailer was Brink. It's got the same parkour sort of movement. I wonder if parkour is the new regenerating health or chest high walls.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I first played Crysis I ran with all settings on high, because that's what it suggested when hitting the auto-settings button, and it didn't run particularly great. Right now I'm playing Crysis Warhead and I lowered a bunch of settings to medium and it is fucking smooth. And to be honest, I haven't noticed a big difference in visuals between high and medium. Then again, I almost never pay attention to shadows and stuff like that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That_Guy wrote: »
    The fist think that came to mind when I saw that trailer was Brink. It's got the same parkour sort of movement. I wonder if parkour is the new regenerating health or chest high walls.

This wouldn't be a bad thing. Emphasising movement is multiplayer seems to be a good idea.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lalabox wrote: »

This wouldn't be a bad thing. Emphasising movement is multiplayer seems to be a good idea.

Given that movement in fps games has been complete crap for years this would be a very good thing.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What is up with the suit powers this game? I heard they put the strength and speed powers together, and that you can combine two powers for a short time for a while. Is this true?

kleinfehn on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I laughed at the name "SCHMOKEIT" in the MP Trailer. And then I watched the live demonstration and thought they were on pcs at first because I saw the keyboards, then saw the controllers and was sad.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The powers are way exaggerated in that trailer, but I have to admit that gunslide looks cool.

Reminds me of Far Cry 2, appropriately enough. A map editor on the 360 version would be nice and probably swing this higher on my list, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    That multiplayer trailer does a good job of making it seem more exciting than the multiplayer in Crysis 1. Although I guess that isn't too difficult.

I don't like that the multiplayer demo is 360 only and I hope that they put out a singleplayer demo for PC.

What, after Yerli whined about demos being too expensive and shit? Eh. Besides, EA isn't really enthused about about putting out demos for the PC peasants.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »

What, after Yerli whined about demos being too expensive and shit? Eh. Besides, EA isn't really enthused about about putting out demos for the PC peasants.

We tend to get "betas" around the same time as consoles get "demos", so it all works out. Crytek knows it's roots. They are not going to let PC players get shafted on this game.

And I think the parkour thing is pretty cool. I just hope it doesn't get overplayed or they ruin it somehow. Regenerating health was pretty cool before every fucking game started using it.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The demo for the original crisis came with the editor. I had so much fun goofing around with different weapons and vehicles.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »

We tend to get "betas" around the same time as consoles get "demos", so it all works out. Crytek knows it's roots. They are not going to let PC players get shafted on this game.

People said that about Infinity Ward.

Just sayin'.

subedii on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Warcry on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lalabox wrote: »

So it's just a few steps from returning to '99 rocket/impact hammer jumping.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The slide reminded me of a multi-player version of Vanquish. ROCKET BOOTS GO!

Except you can't punch a hole the size of a basketball in a dude from doing it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.