Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I was thinking of picking IoB up with some of my CMO credit, but I figured it may be cheaper to build a skaven army through ebay...and it is. I also don't want to be bothered selling off the rulebook/HE stuff on eBay, although my buddy may want the HE, so who knows.

Looks like I'm buying Juggernauts and shit!

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    If you do buy IoB, you could probably sell the book to me. I don't exactly need it so I've been trying to get it for cheap on ebay but no luck so far.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    I was thinking of picking IoB up with some of my CMO credit, but I figured it may be cheaper to build a skaven army through ebay...and it is. I also don't want to be bothered selling off the rulebook/HE stuff on eBay, although my buddy may want the HE, so who knows.

Looks like I'm buying Juggernauts and shit!

Damn it, I just bought my own copy of the IoB rule last week. :P

• Options
    Ha! I lament the idea of painting/transporting like 1000 models, which is what keeps me away from Skaven and TK.

I did start a Warshrine scratchbuild/kitbash today. It's got some promise, and is sort of my first experience with GS. I'm definitely running into some problems though, so it'll be awhile before I get it in good shape. I did paint 5 more warriors and started on my Marauders though. So far I've got 30ish warriors painted.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Deciding what to bring to the fantasy tournament at pax east. It's just 1k points, which is why I will be able to actually finish painting for it. I got options, I can do Bretonnians, Ogres, Skaven, even High Elves (from an IoB set and some Mantic Elves I got on the cheaps). What should I rock?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Skaven!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I vote HE, just so you can show off some Mantic stuff.

I have a rules question, which came up when we were playing a few weeks ago. I had a unit of Warhounds which was going to charge Keenbean's Thunderers. 2 were in the front arc, 3 were in the side arc. By the BRB, I think that means I'd have to charge the side. Since the Thunderers were only one rank though, we basically had a formation that looked like the letter T, where there were only a few models in combat (2-3 of mine nomming on the side of 1 of his).

Now, there's another rule that states that you must do the wheeling/close the door to maximize the number of models in CC. Which rule trumps which here? I could've wheeled/closed the door to strike the front arc, so that all 5 hounds and a gaggle of Thunderers would be in CC. On the other hand, I did technically start in the side arc, so they need to hit the flank. :?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The flank charge would prevent you from being stand and shot, wouldn't it?

• Options
    That's a whole nother problem...because since you're partially in the front arc, and Stand and Shoot measures from where you started the charge, they can still shoot you up I think. I may be muddling that up though.

For that particular charge, it was moot since I was like 5" away though, and you Stand and Shoot if the charger is within its movement distance.

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    I have a rules question, which came up when we were playing a few weeks ago. I had a unit of Warhounds which was going to charge Keenbean's Thunderers. 2 were in the front arc, 3 were in the side arc. By the BRB, I think that means I'd have to charge the side. Since the Thunderers were only one rank though, we basically had a formation that looked like the letter T, where there were only a few models in combat (2-3 of mine nomming on the side of 1 of his).

Now, there's another rule that states that you must do the wheeling/close the door to maximize the number of models in CC. Which rule trumps which here? I could've wheeled/closed the door to strike the front arc, so that all 5 hounds and a gaggle of Thunderers would be in CC. On the other hand, I did technically start in the side arc, so they need to hit the flank. :?

You were in the side arc when you declared the charge, so you have to hit the flank, and then close the door to maximize on that flank. In this case, yes, there would only be one model in base contact on his side, and two or three on your side, depending on the relative base sizes.
    The flank charge would prevent you from being stand and shot, wouldn't it?

I didn't look at the rule book for too long, but I didn't see anything preventing you from declaring a Stand and Shoot against a flank charge. Stand and Shoot says the attack follows normal shooting rules, so as long as you have line of sight you can stand and shoot, even if they're in the flank.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    The key is they must be at least partially in your front arc, since normal shooting rules require that for los.

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    Front arc is still determined for each model, right? So at an extreme stand and shoot angle, not all models will necessarily get the shot.

Or am I confusing 8th with earlier editions again?

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, determining who can shoot is done by model. They list range forward arc and LOS (terrain) as possibly not letting some figures shoot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So the maximum number of warriors Mich could've brought against the Thunderer's 1 rank would be 3, and if they'd had a chance to stand and shoot, probably only the one or two dwarves on the end actually would've been able to take the shot?

• Options
    Sounds right.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    All these Warhammer Forge beasts makes me want to see what they have in the pipe for Vampire Counts. The descriptions I saw from Gamesday were promising. Some huge skeletal, partially zombified swamp living monster, and a 'maw worm' that lives in piles of dead bodies.

• Options
    I thought I was in trouble. I had been building up the idea that I should build an Ethiopian warhammer army.

It would be a amalgam of actual Ethiopian imagery and the European myth of Prester John. I was thinking that it would be based on the Bretonians but centering on the Ark instead of the Grail. I guess I was thinking of painting up their skin (what little there is for brets) as black and seeing if I could find a way to add the kind of orthodox iconographic art that is traditional there. Anyway it is all far fetched and would have to wait for my orcs to be finished and for me to suddenly be able to freehand actual art.

But I just ran these guys (Perry miniatures)
    oscthumb.php?src=YtagzcmV6KHBdI1lo4Kj4tPan5ud3Mk.&w=540&h=168.42857142857&f=jpg&q=95&hash=8d0a9e3a31332d6cdd9e1d80016f65cd

Luckily I realized that 1) those rifles are way too modern and 2) AFAIK Brets can't have gunpowder weapons anyway 3) it would be too hard to use the heads in conversions since they resemble actual human heads.

I think I'm safe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You could always roll them as a mercenary band in the employ of Araby, empire counts-as.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I could see those models working, regarding the rifles. Considering you see dudes with hand held miniguns and clockwork horses, those rifles should be fine.

• Options
    Looking over their range, it seems it would fit empire a lot better. Is there anything that could be replaced with an Ark?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Marienburger land ship. Umm, could be the regimental symbol?

• Options
    Hah. The Ark should be a steam tank. lol

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Or a captured Casket of Souls?

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote:
    I guess I'll finally have Blood Knights in my VC army. Fuck paying $165au for GW's.

Yeah, I won't mention the 20 boxes of metal BK's I have in the closet.

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    Haha, what the hell, IoB models are stupid cheap on eBay. I can get 20 clanrats for $5.50?

What? Really? What about the Rat Ogres?

I was thinking about picking up an IoB since I got the HElf and Skaven armies for Christmas. Not that I need another army, but I figure I'm already mostly there.

• Options
    So apparently Games Workshop decided that they don't want to sell O&G magic cards to me as I wasn't playing when they were available.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    What is the deal with the magic cards anyway? I noticed lots of vampire counts ones on eBay. Presumably because they are likewise a limited thing. Are they actually required? Or is it a convenience thing.

I'm ignorant to anything to do with actually playing a game. Hah.

• Options
    Not essential at all, but convenient. They're a limited release at each army launch, but I don't think they're too tough to find on eBay.

You could manage about the same by getting the spells in your army book on a stack of index cards (and have multiples of the signature spell, even).

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    J wrote:
    What is the deal with the magic cards anyway? I noticed lots of vampire counts ones on eBay. Presumably because they are likewise a limited thing. Are they actually required? Or is it a convenience thing.

I'm ignorant to anything to do with actually playing a game. Hah.
    They're a convenience thing, in that you can grab the individual spells that you're using in the game for easy reference, instead of say, flipping from the units to the magic section of a book and back.

• Options
    I've got a question of pants for my ogres: do I do the same pants color for a whole unit, or should I vary it up?

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    do each unit with the same color pants, but change it from unit to unit.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    I've been thinking about that. Some of their pants would probably be a motley or whatever. Do whatever looks better ranked up!

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    I have three or four pants colors mixed in my ogre units. I don't see them as organized enough to have uniform clothing. Maybe the ironguts, but I still see them as ogres that happened to come across bigger weapons and a helmet.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    All right! Fancy pants it is!

• Options
    Hey, Mich, in regards to your earlier question about charging the thunderers, I think p 21 of brb lays out how it should've worked pretty well (guess who has a copy of the rulebook now! And artillery dice!)

• Options
    Well aren't we fancy!

I don't have my BRB with me at work (heh) but I'll take a look at it. I'm pretty sure I did look at it, and now that I'm not drunk/it's not 3am I better understand the charge rules. It just seems weird to be that you could basically have a 1-on-1 combat at the flank...unless I'm misremembering.

• Options
    Or 3-1 combat, if you mean individual models.

After the first turn you could do a combat reform to turn (though I think it still counts as a flank charge with the +1).

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a source that has the Beastmen magic cards in stock? All of them on eBay are $15 and up. $7 to ship 6 cards in the mail. F off.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Good luck with that, the magic cards are limited print run.

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm aware, I just want to know if there is some hole in the wall e-shop that has a dozen in stock somewhere.

E26cO.jpg
This discussion has been closed.