As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help with Latin translation

Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm designing a crest for a friend's birthday card, as as everyone knows, a crest needs a pretentious Latin motto. I've got a number of options at the moment, but there's one I'm stuck on currently.

His current "About Me" section on Facebook is, "Will debase self for money/cigarettes." This seems like it would fit a motto, and it's more personal than just adjusting a common one. I've got a limited knowledge of Latin and access to an online translator, and the best I can come up with is:

Volo ob pecuniae aut tabaco me pessimare

Is this right? Am I being too literal with the prepositions?

Google gives Ipse ego pecuniae infrà (doesn't have cigarettes, which is fair enough). I'm loath to trust it, though.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
Rhesus Positive on

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    'ob' takes the accusative, but it looks like you have 'pecuniae' and 'tabaco' in the dative. You can either remove the preposition or change the case of those two. So your choices are either:

Volo ob pecuniam aut tabacum me pessimare
    or
    Volo pecuniae aut tabaco me pessimare

The latter looks more classical, the former looks like a medieval construction.

I'm not convinced 'pessimare' is the verb you really want, but I can't think of a better substitute right now.

Edit: Matter of style, but I'd also prefer volens to volo. That makes it "(I am) willing to debase myself for money or tabacco" rather than "I will to debase myself..."

Edit 2: Perhaps replace pessimare with abicere? The latter has the sense of 'throwing (myself) down', the former is roughly 'making (myself) the worst (sort of person)'.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's brilliant, thanks.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]