As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    This is seven months old (at least by the YT-posting date) but it should help show what you can do and not do as a F2Per.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKRX5j9S_Xo

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Ah! That guy! He's in TGWTG videos like Phelous's reviews.

• Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    i played the first 30 levels without paying a cent. there were a few minor annoyances (like bags and gold cap), but otherwise F2P was awesome for me.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Massively's LOTRO-guy has some much-needed details on wtf RoR will contain. He is uncharacteristicly critical, recommending readers to not buy anything until Turbine has disclosed exactly what you will be paying for. Sapience has confirmed on the forums there is another big feature that Turbine is not yet ready to talk about and the details of the "exclusive content" part of the $70,- edition are also TBA. If you are inclined to throw money at Turbine/Warner Bros on the earliest occasion you are recommended to go for the basic edition, because you'll run the smallest risk to be fucked with useless virtual goodies.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/09/the-road-to-mordor-breaking-down-riders-of-rohans-pre-purchase/

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I am not giving them any money until I've seen everything this time. They got me with RoI and I bought into the hype but not this time. Not until I've looked at all the expansion has to offer.

Also I think it's cheap to try to bait people into buying the $70 edition just so they can get the extra bag early or get an extra LI legacy which we used to be able to get for free if we looked hard enough and was lucky enough.

edit: sorry to sound bitter.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be putting money into the game any time soon. I still have many characters to level to 75, and by the time I decide I really need to do RoR, I should have enough TP from my lifetime sub. I still think the game is pretty great, and it's still a pretty good value as far as F2P goes, but I think people need to put their money where their mouths are, and show Turbine that releasing another expansion at an even higher price point is not acceptable, especially if it's not going to release with all of the expected features. It's pretty easy for me to do with my monthly TP allotment, though I have bought TPs in the past, mostly to show support for their business model.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    SPEAKING OF

I used to sub, haven't played since before Rise. Bought that. Any other good stuff in the store I should eyeball? What's the difference between Expansion Quest Packs and the Expansions themselves?

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    Massively's LOTRO-guy has some much-needed details on wtf RoR will contain. He is uncharacteristicly critical, recommending readers to not buy anything until Turbine has disclosed exactly what you will be paying for. Sapience has confirmed on the forums there is another big feature that Turbine is not yet ready to talk about and the details of the "exclusive content" part of the $70,- edition are also TBA. If you are inclined to throw money at Turbine/Warner Bros on the earliest occasion you are recommended to go for the basic edition, because you'll run the smallest risk to be fucked with useless virtual goodies.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/09/the-road-to-mordor-breaking-down-riders-of-rohans-pre-purchase/

To follow up on this: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?464108-A-word-about-the-Riders-of-Rohan-Pre-Purchase-packs

Now you get 1k TP with basic and heroic and 2k with legendary. Instances are part of the expansion, but will be released after the expansion goes live.

Still no word about the exclusive content with the $70,- edition. Probably related to the stuff they haven't announced yet.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    edit: double post.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Anyone actually managed to make this new instance finder work? I was hell of excited about it as it's the single greatest thing in WoW.

But I've been in the queue for Great Barrows for days now. Does this thing even work? The illiterate clods in the LFF channel seem to think its "borken lol" but couldn't give any reasons.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    It's only broken in the way that no one queuing to use the thing can break it.

• Options
    I think part of the problem is that it is so easy to out level the dungeons that people don't bother with them. I know that's what I did for my first character, and what I've been doing with my warden.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The problem is that it sucks at team composition and will pull stupid stuff if it can't fight a holy trinity. When it was first released and everyone on my teeny tiny server tried it I got in so many shitty groups that we all quitted before even killing a single mob. I was in a PuG with 2 champions and me on my warden at one point! I mean, fuck that noise, at least in /glff you can specify that you need a healer/support.

I've heard that it's mostly used as a way to score some extra goodies if you're with a full team anyway, you sign up with the 6 of you for a 6-man instance and you all get ~10% extra stuff.

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    So I've kind of started to play this game. I mean, I've played a couple of days so far over the last week or so, but I'm only level 6. It's enjoyable, but I don't think I really have the time to put into an MMO.

But in any case, my big thing is, does anyone play this game anymore? I kind of want to join the Fellowship, but I know I won't play if no one else is, and then my character will just be dead weight on the roster. I always hated that. Low level player joins then never makes it past 10.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Can't delete... Stupid Charter internet, making me double post.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you're on one of the bigger servers (like Landroval) there will be plenty of other gamers. DocHoliday will lead the way: http://lotro.stratics.com/tag/population/

• Options
    I'm on Landroval.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    So

Riders of Rohan won't include Edoras or Helm's Deep.

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally wanted to play "Lord of the Rings Online". Unfortunately what we've actually been playing for the last 3-4 years is "Turbine Makes Up Their Own Fucking Lore And Doesn't Actually Send You Anywhere From Lord Of The Rings After You Finish Lothlorien".

I've actually been toying with the idea of dissolving the kinship all together. Nobody plays anymore, and this thread is pretty much devoid of any kinship-related activity for some time now.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I installed it and everything. Even got my wife to play with me.

After about 20 minutes we were both uninstalling...

• Options
    Ouch. . .

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It's nothing really against the game, we both just weren't drawn in at all. For the life of me I can't figure out why...

• Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    thats interesting.. i felt like the first ~20-30 levels were really quite engaging. ered luin was fun to explore and murder things in, then bree and the barrows were cool. 30-45 were a slog for me, and i almost gave up on the game. 45-50ish was alright, playing mostly in erigion (sic) - but im not motivated at all to press on to moria. partly because i havent played in 4 months (and have since been kicked from my kin)

its really interesting to hear that the early levels weren't working for you. what class/race did you play?

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    Man, I loved LotRO enough to play it for the better part of 3 years solid. Like, right before the F2P switch, I had 5 max level classes, max rep with all crafting guilds, a vault full of various pieces of different radiance gear sets. It's safe to say I liked the game. But if I were to start playing it now, I'd probably do the same as Anon. The classic EQ/WOW style MMO just isn't fun for me anymore, and I'm far from the only one. Doesn't matter how well LotRO executes the model (and similarly with TOR), if I log in at all, it's 15 minutes before I realize that there are other games I'd rather be playing.

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Android double post.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    The ouch was more directed at 3b. He speaks words I never thought I'd hear.

Words that wound the soul.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I just don't see much point in maintaining the facade that we still have an active, Penny Arcade-based kinship.

Triple B on
  • Options
    Fair enough. . .

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Sad...I loved playing with you lot.

• Options
    Triple B wrote: »
    So

Riders of Rohan won't include Edoras or Helm's Deep.

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally wanted to play "Lord of the Rings Online". Unfortunately what we've actually been playing for the last 3-4 years is "Turbine Makes Up Their Own Fucking Lore And Doesn't Actually Send You Anywhere From Lord Of The Rings After You Finish Lothlorien".

I've actually been toying with the idea of dissolving the kinship all together. Nobody plays anymore, and this thread is pretty much devoid of any kinship-related activity for some time now.
    What, like Orthanc and the roots of Fangorn?

I mean, there's plenty to dislike about the game and I'm sad that Turbine and WB fail at providing us with an exciting game, but the locations we're sent to is one of the least of my worries.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Wait, why would you dissolve the kinship, though? People don't play regularly, but they do log in once every three months, and on the off chance people logged on together we'd still be able to talk to each other. It's not like people are straining to join a different kinship or anything. Is there any harm in just leaving it up on the off chance that some more active people take it up, or the thread just decides one weekend to play?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I still think there is merit in picking a play time to play the game once a month or so. For that having the guild as a platform is advantageous.

It's true that RoI really hurt my enjoyment of the game but I'm not ready to just watch it all burn quite yet.

• Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Wait, why would you dissolve the kinship, though? People don't play regularly, but they do log in once every three months, and on the off chance people logged on together we'd still be able to talk to each other. It's not like people are straining to join a different kinship or anything. Is there any harm in just leaving it up on the off chance that some more active people take it up, or the thread just decides one weekend to play?

I play every week still, puttering alts through various things, making shinies for people, pursuing silly skill deeds, etc. I have absolutely no problem paying the kin rents and whatever needs doing just to keep the legend that was alive.

The one thing I absolutely love about this game is that I can NOT play for a few days or weeks if something else comes up, and jump right back in at some later date without having to start over from nothing. Someone may just want to drop in some time to check out a zone or blow off a little steam. Or stab something. It can't hurt to keep at least one light on can it?

• Options
    Tamorlane wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I play every week still, puttering alts through various things, making shinies for people, pursuing silly skill deeds, etc. I have absolutely no problem paying the kin rents and whatever needs doing just to keep the legend that was alive.

The one thing I absolutely love about this game is that I can NOT play for a few days or weeks if something else comes up, and jump right back in at some later date without having to start over from nothing. Someone may just want to drop in some time to check out a zone or blow off a little steam. Or stab something. It can't hurt to keep at least one light on can it?

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. When I ever do log back in, it'll be good to still be in the old guild. Even if no one is on, I'll swing by the Kin house, see if anyone has moved the furniture, check the boxes, etc.

• Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I had to do it -- one thing that kept me from playing for a while was the inventory shuffle every login due to full bags (that, and being too busy with other things to play LOTRO or any other game for that matter -- see my website for one of those other things). So, I cancelled my SWTOR subscription and went for the super deluxe Rohan pre-order for my precious bag space, and went and leveled my Guardian. I don't know that I'll be a daily participant at this point -- in fact, I highly doubt it -- but I should be on at least a couple times a week. My RK is still on task mule duty until he hits 54, but I see that there are now post-53 task boards in Moria, so more trash for xp, which works for me.

Edit: I see I had some other updates for my sig. Of course, when my progress is more along the lines of a glacier than a stopwatch, it's not very noticeable even when I do get around to updating it. My formulas say that Warden is up next, and I'm interested to finally try out some ranged warden-ing.

Edit #2: Oh yeah, please don't kill the kinship. It's comforting to at least pretend that someone else might show up to discuss various bodily functions during those long horse rides. Besides, being in a kinship prevents me from getting spammed with invites from strangers who don't even know whether I'd fit in with their gangs.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    Glornt wrote: »
    Edit #2: Oh yeah, please don't kill the kinship. It's comforting to at least pretend that someone else might show up to discuss various bodily functions during those long horse rides. Besides, being in a kinship prevents me from getting spammed with invites from strangers who don't even know whether I'd fit in with their gangs.

This. I'm not really interested in joining any other kinships, hell I'd probably just give up on the game if the kinship disolved.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Glornt wrote: »

This. I'm not really interested in joining any other kinships, hell I'd probably just give up on the game if the kinship disolved.

I'm gonna need help understanding this. When there were actually people playing, I could see feeling this way. But what's there to be so attached to when you're the only one logging in at a time?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    We like the idea of someone possibly being there to shoot the shit with when we do log on. The Kin goes and so does the hardwork of all of us who did put it in over the years. There were lean times before, I remember in 2008 when I left when it was just me an @Flammiebc. He set the kin up with money and we both stopped coming around.

We bounced back.

We're fighters like that scrappy fighter who has no chance but somehow continues to win in the face of adversity.

Common. . . if you don't keep it up for us do it for Adrain.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Because there's a history of all of us having played. There's a kin house that reminds us of the people we played/sometimes play with. And there's the off chance that we'll bump into each other. It's a cool guild tag. Also, people don't get spammed by invites.

I need help understanding the other side: Why would you disband the kinship? There's a lot of people who want to keep it. If you don't want to have to deal with it, just pass it over to Lowlander.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Or do it for Glornt. Look at that Roster. He's practically a kinship by himself.

Edit: Don't rob him of the chance to yell out in Kin chat that One of his guys made it to 75. I estimate this to be in about 4 expansions.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I'm not going to disband it, but I don't see myself playing again. A new challenger has appeared to claim the title of "the only MMO I can be bothered to play", in the form of The Secret World.