As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I think that's why RoI was ultimately a failed expansion. It took you through Isengard and basically told you you could do nothing about the events going on there. They tried to make you involved in it but when you know you can't bring the place down it sort of felt forced.

I wish we hadn't gone there until the place was being torn apart by the Ents. there's a lot more material there to work with where we could have effected the world. I mean imagine going through the ruins of the complex killing the remnants of the white hand army. . .
    Imaging beating Saruman? :P

I think it fell flat because there it was no where near as epic as the movies.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Aldo wrote: »
    I think that's why RoI was ultimately a failed expansion. It took you through Isengard and basically told you you could do nothing about the events going on there. They tried to make you involved in it but when you know you can't bring the place down it sort of felt forced.

I wish we hadn't gone there until the place was being torn apart by the Ents. there's a lot more material there to work with where we could have effected the world. I mean imagine going through the ruins of the complex killing the remnants of the white hand army. . .
    Imaging beating Saruman? :P

I think it fell flat because there it was no where near as epic as the movies.

That's the thing, we can't beat Saruman. That's not the bag of our characters.

There are plenty of things we COULD be doing but with RoI it sort of felt like they inserted us into an inappropriate place.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think you've got it, Pheny. LOTRO works because you get to find out you're directly contributing to the war of the ring, just in an off-screen presence that doesn't violate canon. The players can't stop the split of the fellowship, so instead the players hide the tracks of Frodo after he splits off, instead of trying to involve them in events they can't actually impact. Similarly, the players can't kill Saruman, so having them do something they COULD succeed at would be more worthwhile. Having them help the ents finish the attack on the white tower would be cool. Or they could have made some shit up about an uruk-hai support force being redirected to support Saruman against the ents, and the players could have prevented that from happening. Off screen stuff that feels epic because you get to change the outcome of something, which by definition has to be about things where you can change the outcome.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Personally, Enedwaith AND RoI both felt like they weren't meant for much more than a holdover until they sent us somewhere...relevant. "Here are a couple zones that we're hoping will distract you from the fact that we're taking forever to move this shit along. Also we love your money. Have fun!"

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    I feel like they didn't know how they were going to DO Rohan in any meaningful way.

I am on the fence about the new warhorse. I have a bad feeling we're getting something along the lines of legendary weapons complete with tier 9 saddle bridles available from the store for a limited time only.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Well Turbine just got pick of the litter from the Amalur MMO team, curious to see if they end up working LOTRO, DDO or a new project.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Update 7.1 (only bugfixes)

Best one:

Graphics & EFX

The Shire Board of Health has taken special interest in the sudden spike in obesity rates among portions of the Hobbit population. As a result, some Hobbits were denied Elevensies in an effort to help them slim down and lead healthier lives.

• Options
    So I've got a bit of a problem: I can get huge gear upgrades to my dps-set if I finish Tower of Orthanc on T1, but my kin doesn't run it and PuGs are dreadful as a warden tank with no experience in the danged instance.

Guess I won't be playing LOTRO for a while, because this is just annoying.

• Options
    So I've got a bit of a problem: I can get huge gear upgrades to my dps-set if I finish Tower of Orthanc on T1, but my kin doesn't run it and PuGs are dreadful as a warden tank with no experience in the danged instance.

Guess I won't be playing LOTRO for a while, because this is just annoying.

I pretty much hate PuGS. It's the main reason I have stopped playing the game much. I understand it's a perpetual cycle. Less people log into the guild so that when people do log on there's no one there and they leave making it worse and worse.

TBS was some of the best times I've had with a guild in a long time. We were a solid group and I miss it from time to time.

We just couldn't bring the numbers to raid or even run 6-mans and rotating on 3-mans got a little old after a while.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    News!

http://rohan.lotro.com/pre-order.html

You can only get the 6th bag if you buy the $70 pre-purchase option :(

Seidkona on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    how many of you guys still play this? if i rolled a free dude and figured out what im doing will i have people to play with?

• Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    You can only get the 6th bag if you buy the $70 pre-purchase option :(

That just seems so cheesy. Then I realized it will probably be 1999 tp in the store anyway, and that I am still a goddamned sucker.

• Options
    7075 tp for everything minus the cosmetics, mount, and stat cloak. I'll work tirelessly to convince myself it was a good deal either way.

(Tam points up to that goddamned sucker part) Yeah, too late.

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Wow, that's something I never thought I'd see. Pretty neat.

• Options
    Does this improve logging to a character on a different server or updating the game client in any way shape or form? I mean, Guild Wars is on Steam, but you still get updates through the ArenaNet launcher, so the net gain is that you get download the installer from Steam's servers and you can start the game from Steam's interface.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Ugh, so it looks like they're planning on shipping RoR without instances just like they did RoI. WTF? Didn't they learn from that mistake. Just wait to release the damn expansion until you can give us the dungeons to go along with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So, is this worth getting into at this point? Now that it's on Steam, my attention has been piqued.

• Options
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Ugh, so it looks like they're planning on shipping RoR without instances just like they did RoI. WTF? Didn't they learn from that mistake. Just wait to release the damn expansion until you can give us the dungeons to go along with it.

What?!

That fact about RoI is what caused so many people to leave the game. This does not bode well for the future.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So, is this worth getting into at this point? Now that it's on Steam, my attention has been piqued.

Back when I played for real it in 2008, I considered it a better game than WoW. It just lacked the polish infinity dollars can buy you.

I still poke in from time to time,but eh. I think I'm just burned out on MMOs in general nowadays. it's still a good game though.

• Options
    edited June 2012

Of the old school formula MMO's it's my favorite one. It is a good game and Turbine did a lot of things right. The lore is kept pretty true for the most part and at times you really feel like someone who is helping in the fight.

Most of the stuff we are complaining about here is past level 65 which honestly will take you a while to get to. It's a good game and worth checking out. I do not regret any of the, almost, 2 years I played this game almost non stop.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Does this improve logging to a character on a different server or updating the game client in any way shape or form? I mean, Guild Wars is on Steam, but you still get updates through the ArenaNet launcher, so the net gain is that you get download the installer from Steam's servers and you can start the game from Steam's interface.

Well STO, Fallen Earth and Forsaken World all still use the publishers launcher. But I did see LotR advertising when I stopped playing TF2 yesterday, so there might be some new players.

• Options
    Of the old school formula MMO's it's my favorite one. It is a good game and Turbine did a lot of things right.

Although the crickets in the kin house have been the only regulars lately, it's still a good time. I think I have played more this year than I have in all the time since I signed up in 2008. But then I have never done a group instance so that's probably why I am not as bitter as some of the OG Barrovians :P

• Options
    Speaking for myself, I'm not necessarily bitter, but there's only so long you can play one game and still maintain interest in it. I cannot get excited about anything LOTRO-related for the life of me at this point. I'd love to have it all be new to me again, like it was back in beta. That sense of wonder is just completely gone now.

• Options
    Sad days. :(

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So Steam got me to drop $15 on a Starter Pack for this game.

Is there any sort of collected information that would be useful for a beginner before jumping in relatively blind?

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So Steam got me to drop $15 on a Starter Pack for this game.

Is there any sort of collected information that would be useful for a beginner before jumping in relatively blind?
    See OP.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I was asking specifically because the OP seems very information light, actually.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I was asking specifically because the OP seems very information light, actually.

Oh, it seems @Triple B has destroyed it, it used to be huuuuuge. :( I've still got it saved here, but infortunately it is 10k characters too long to post, and it is outdated by now. Here's some choice excerpts:
    The Lord of the Rings Online

Welcome to J.R.R. Tolkien's creation
    img_2753_lotro.jpg

It Makes Sense
    The fantasy universe conceived by J.R.R. Tolkien known as 'Middle Earth' is heavily influential in most modern fantasy-influenced stuff. Did you know the mines of Moria was the dungeon crawl before there were dungeon crawls? So it seems pretty natural that this work of fictional gold would eventually make its way into the massively multiplayer online realm. The guys at Turbine (Asheron's Call, AC2, D&DO) have done a great job translating the immaculate world of Tolkien's creation and presenting Windows PC users with a massively multiplayer Middle Earth. They released Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar in April 2007 and have since released the two major expansions: Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood. They have also opened up the game to the whole wide world by not requiring a subscription to play, those interested can download and play the game for free, but have to purchase additional content from a cash shop. The option to buy a subscription still exists For their efforts Turbine has earned the following Reader's Choice Awards from MMORPG.com: [Best Overall Game] of 2008, [Best Expansion Pack] of 2008, and [Favorite MMO Studio] of 2008. Quite impressive given the stiff competition.

There Is Stuff
    This is a casual, quest-driven MMO that is fine for solo-play but more fun with friends. Built-in voice chat for you social butterflies out there and DX11 graphics that blow plenty of other games out of the water - water that is inferior to what you will see in Middle Earth when you start playing, trust me. Everything you could want exists in this game in some form or another: instances, quests, raiding, player housing, kinships, crafting, PVP and legendary weapons you can customize. The player vs. player combat is given a separate zone to avoid interrupting or impeding on casual play while allowing those with a competitive edge a chance to get their kill on.

Lord of the Rings Online sets itself apart from other games in the genre with quest lines called [Books] which contain solo and group quests that tend to culminate in wonderfully executed story-driven instances. Each patch brings with it content rife with themes and recurring characters that really help to flesh out the lore-based experience Turbine is going for. This occurs approximately every three months. All of these quests are free up until you hit the door of Moria, which won't open until you purchase the expansion Mines of Moria. The same goes for Mirkwood.

For [Roleplaying] or just fashion, Turbine has given us cosmetic outfits so that you may customize your appearance to your liking without sacrificing the benefits of top-quality gear. The unofficial Penny Arcade server for U.S. players -Landroval- is also the unofficial roleplaying server - allowing all who have wished to roleplay within the realm of Frodo, Legolas, and Aragorn the ability to do so without worrying about too much 'LOL' and 'BRB' cluttering chat. It helps that most of the users on this server are mature, nice, and helpful, providing for a wonderful RP experience. There's room in your character panel for your character's biography as well as a system for establishing generations and families. If any of that sounds appealing to you, be sure to stop in to the Prancing Pony in Bree, a common gathering place for roleplayers in Middle Earth.

LOTRO uses instanced neighborhoods to keep things compact for [Player Housing]. Your character can buy a house that is shared amongst all other characters on your account so long as they share the same server. Regular houses hold one extra chest and room for decorations while deluxe houses hold two extra chests and even more room for decorating. Kinships that reach a high enough lifespan can purchase a kinship house that comes with not one, not two, but three chests for all your storage needs. With use of travel rations you can quickly port to your house or your kinship house.

Conjunction_Wheel.jpg

There are times during combat where you can shatter your enemy's defences and perform a [Fellowship Manuever]. This happens due to a special attack from a burglar or guardian, or by random luck. When it happens you will see a manuever wheel with four buttons. [RED] indicates instant damage, [YELLOW] is strong damage over time, [GREEN] means restoring health and [BLUE] brings back some power. You can simply press the button you need as an individual or coordinate as a team to pull off certain combinations that do much more. More information can be found here.

No matter how hopeless things may be, there is always [Music]. LOTRO has harps, horns, drums, bagpipes, cowbells, and more. Music can be performed manually by note or with convenient ABC files and other players can hear you play. If you're in a fellowship, you can sync up with them to play separate instruments. Or if you're just passing by you can join in and improvise, though it's polite to ask first. This helpful link explains it rather well.

In the spoiler is a description by a cheerful chap who takes great joy in blowing on flutes:
    Summary of the .abc music system and what it can do for you:

The .abc system allows you to add .abc files to your MyDocuments/Lord of the Rings Online/Music folder, and play them in-game.

There are several ways to get your slimy little meathooks on these so-called ".abc files":

-Transcribe your own. Unfortunately you'll have to look elsewhere for information on this method, seeing as I don't know jack shit about manually transcribing .abc files. D: Though if anyone who reads this has helpful information, I'll be glad to edit this OP to include it.

-Download 'em! There are several websites dedicated to providing .abc files for use in LOTRO. The best of which is TheFatLute.com. Not only does this site have an awesome name, but also a metrick fuckton of .abc files just ripe for the pickin'. Simply save the file to the folder specified above, and you're ready to go.

-Convert them from MIDI files. This is my personal favorite method. If you can find a MIDI of a song you want to play in-game, all you have to do is save it to your hard drive and use a program such as [url=http://lotro.acasylum.com/midi/LotRO MIDI Player[/url] to convert it to .abc format. This marvelous little piece of software is nothing short of genius. It's user-friendly, easy to figure out, and it bloody works. Be sure to keep the MIDI preview box checked at all times, otherwise it'll attempt to play the song in-game. From there, just tinker around with which instrument channels you want to remain in the .abc file (drums are turned off by default when you import a MIDI, seeing as they wreak havoc when played on a lute or somesuch.) When you're satisfied with how your song sounds, just save the converted .abc in your LOTRO Music folder as previously specified, and you're golden.

Good places to find MIDI files include (naturally) [url=http://www.google.comGoogle[/url], and MidiDB, along with many others.

But...but...how do I *play* them?!

I'm glad you asked.

First, you have to own an instrument. If I really *had* to tell you this part, maybe you should go back to the World of EverHammer or whatever you were playing before you realized you were playing the wrong game and decided to rightfully join the LOTRO community. :D Instruments can be purchased from Bards, which are present in damn near all the towns in the game. They're represented on your map/radar as an icon of a lute. Note: You *can* learn more instruments than what are initially available to you. Simply ask a Minstrel of decent level to teach you. They can mentor almost every instrument in the game.

Once you have acquired your instrument(s) of choice, equip one and enter music mode. Do this by typing "/music" in the chat box.

From there, you can do one of two things:

-If you know which song you want to play, simply type "/play songname". Note that you will need to know exactly how the name of the .abc file is formatted in order for this to work.

-If you want to see all the .abc files you have in your music folder, type "/playlist" and it will bring up a list of all the songs available to you. Once you've picked your song, once again type "/play songname", and enjoy the music! :)

Do keep in mind that you will not be able to move without interrupting the song until it is over. You also won't be able to use most of your keyboard until the song has finished. If you need to type during a song, use the mouse to click the chat box. I figured this one out the hard way. Also, if you need to reply to someone sending you a tell, but you're still playing a song, type "/r" in the chat box. Once you hit the space bar after typing "/r", you will be able to type your reply message.

The possibilities are endless, so if you're still wasting your time crafting, questing, or leveling up in any way, knock that shit off and do something productive like playing music by the fire at the Prancing Pony!

Example song: My Name is Jonas by Weezer
    Moving on: PVP, this is called [Monster Play] and it is very much what it sounds like. Allow me to explain: At level 10, players are given the option from their Character Selection screens to choose to play a Monster in that specific zone. Higher-level Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits and Men have a special area to slay Orcs, Spiders, and other 'evil' races played by real people. The success of those fighting for good can effect the rest of the players on that particular server by giving a buff such as +5% XP Gain - and that is the most PVP will effect you if you choose to steer clear.

• Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    The game is very much worth playing. Some of my most memorable gaming moments come from playing LOTRO. It's true that the game got stale after playing it for 2+ years, but those 2+ years were lots of fun. I strongly recommend trying it for free. If nothing else, roll a hobbit and start questing in Shire. Love or hate the zone, but playing there is a unique experience.

• Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    Triple B wrote: »
    Speaking for myself...
    Just poking my head in to say that your new avatar is awesome. I'm about to watch some Bob Ross myself: "We don't make mistakes; we have happy accidents". Was he the coolest dorky guy ever, or the dorkiest cool guy? I say BOTH!

LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    I'm sure at some point I will return to lotro, but a certain recently released Blizzard title has consumed my time.

Hmm did they increase vault/wardrobe space again? All these preorder bonuses are useless without more space for pack rats such as I.

• Options
    VideotapeVideotape Registered User regular
    How is the game if you don't pay? I tried going back to EverQuest 2 after it went F2P, but it severely limited you unless you upgraded to a gold membership. I never tried LotRO but I'm considering giving it a go. I miss playing an MMO for the first time and having that experience of awe and wonder like I did with EverQuest 1 all those years ago.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Videotape wrote: »
    How is the game if you don't pay? I tried going back to EverQuest 2 after it went F2P, but it severely limited you unless you upgraded to a gold membership. I never tried LotRO but I'm considering giving it a go. I miss playing an MMO for the first time and having that experience of awe and wonder like I did with EverQuest 1 all those years ago.

LoTRO is no where near as bad as EQ2. For one my LOTRO character never ended up completely naked because I didn't have the proper account level to equip the Fabled armor and weapons I already earned. It's a decent F2P setup.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I just started playing this last night as a F2P person and it didn't seem to limit me much at all so far. And this game is pretty damn fun, I like being a minstrel and playing songs to heal and hurt things. Plus, I like being able to play actual songs. I convinced a friend to play as well and I waited for him to finish the introduction quest and as soon as he did I gave him an instrument and we started playing around for about 5 minutes. I don't know how long I'll play this game but I might throw a bit of money into it just based on initial impressions.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    I logged into my 55 hunter and then realized I was in middle of Moria and I had completely forgotten what I was doing. also how to play the game. I guess thats what 4 years does

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Wren wrote: »
    I logged into my 55 hunter and then realized I was in middle of Moria and I had completely forgotten what I was doing. also how to play the game. I guess thats what 4 years does
    Fortunately the area has been revamped, so your best bet would be to ditch all quests and travel to the nearest camp and go from there.

You know, after you rolled a new toon (you should play dwarf, their new starter zone is neat) and reacquainted yourself with the game.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I really need to buckle down and do the story quests in this game. Just as soon as I get tired of Tera. And Rift. And have time off of work...

/sigh

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    VideotapeVideotape Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Videotape wrote: »

LoTRO is no where near as bad as EQ2. For one my LOTRO character never ended up completely naked because I didn't have the proper account level to equip the Fabled armor and weapons I already earned. It's a decent F2P setup.

Good to know. I installed it last night but I can't decide on a champion or a burglar.