As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why don’t we treat free trade like global warming?

Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Experts agree. Why don't we?

http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/blog/2011/02/27/why-dont-we-treat-free-trade-like-global-warming/
Belief in anthropogenic global warming is a sort of political signifier for American liberals – if you don’t think human activity is changing the Earth’s climate, they’re probably not going to take you very seriously. This is not because every leftist has independently verified the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s findings and concluded that people who disagree are blinkered or stupid. Instead, liberals quite sensibly think that when a critical mass of scientists arrive at a certain conclusion, we should take that conclusion as a given and proceed accordingly.

[...]

Why don’t we accord the same level of deference to economists? Shouldn’t the pro-free trade consensus within the field of economics be as bullet-proof as belief in global warming?

It’s not a partisan issue – in my opinion, the best introduction to the benefits of international trade was written by Paul Krugman. And the strength of the pro-free trade consensus in economics is at least as robust as the consensus view among climatologists. There are a few high profile dissenters, but those exist in every field, including climatology.

Maybe I'm strawmanning here, but my perception is that this guy is right. People don't tend to defer to expert opinion on trade. I understand the argument for lowering barriers to trade is somewhat counterintuitive, but is that a sufficient explanation for why people tend to reject the expert consensus on this issue? I don't think it is.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
Loren Michael on

• Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Probably because while free trade benefits the economy as a whole, protectionism can have very strong direct benefits on specific (and loud) groups of people. For example, if the embargo against Cuba were lifted, the price of sugar (and therefore the price of most food) would go down a small amount, but the Corn-Syrup manufacturers would lose a lot of money. So they are more committed to preserving the status quo than the vast majority is to ending it.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think that's a reason why protectionism is so easy to implement, the costs are spread out and taken individually are negligible, while the benefits are concentrated...

But this doesn't explain why people more generally are skeptical of the economic consensus.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Because economics isn't a science.

edit: Mind you, I don't have a problem with free trade. But macroeconomics is largely bullshit. You ask ten physicists to explain a phenomenon and the only real difference in their explanations will be the level of detail they decide to go into. You ask ten economists to explain a phenomenon and you'll get eleven or twelve completely contradictory answers.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Because economics isn't a science.

...so the experts have no idea what they're talking about? Economic research is worthless? Economics might as well be theology, or a collection of aesthetic preferences? What do you mean?

EDIT: Re: Your edit:

Shouldn't the fact that almost all economists agree on free trade suggest that there might be something to that idea?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Because the people astroturfing for free trade are the same people astoturfing against solutions for anthropogenic global warming.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Economists support free trade because as a rule they have similar priorities. Those of us who don't value GDP growth above all other concerns may come to a different conclusion.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Shouldn't the fact that almost all economists agree on free trade suggest that there might be something to that idea?

No, not really. If, say, almost all literary critics agreed that some author was good, I would still judge that author on my own preferences because literary criticism is not science.

Like I said, I'm all for free trade. But the last economist I trusted was Kahneman and frankly he's more of a behavioral psychologist.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

No, not really. If, say, almost all literary critics agreed that some author was good, I would still judge that author on my own preferences because literary criticism is not science.

Like I said, I'm all for free trade. But the last economist I trusted was Kahneman and frankly he's more of a behavioral psychologist.

So, again, the experts have no idea what they're talking about? Economic research is worthless? Economics might as well be theology, or a collection of aesthetic preferences?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Basically, the field of economics can be divided into two subsets: the subset that is essentially psychology and the subset that is essentially bullshit. You can tell the former from the latter easily: the former takes falsifiable hypotheses and tests them with experiment. That's what science is.

I'm aware that this definition excludes most of the so-called "social sciences" and frankly, I'm okay with that.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I once had a libertarian professor for one of my philosophy classes on current affairs. When we got to net neutrality, he said that if people started having their Internet restricted, they would simply switch carriers.

I was taking a class on game theory at the same time. One of their first class wide games we did was this:

to win the game you had to accurately predict the number that was 2/3s of the class wide average and you could pick any whole number between 100-1.

Now, if you are rational AND you believe that everyone else is rational, the correct answer is, without question, one.

Because the highest number that could be picked is 100and 2/3s of that is 67, it is impossible for a number above 67 to win. Now you have a new set of numbers, 1-67. If everyone else is rational, then they also will choose a number between 1-67. Since 67 is the highest number of the new set, the highest possible number that could win would be 45. You could see how this continued to 1.

The people who chose 1 lost. Their assumption that people are rational doomed them. It's the same mistake made by my old professor.

It's hard to believe in the free market when every hypothetical for it seems to be based on a faulty assumption.

Now if you are rational, and beli

rational vash on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Read this book and get back to me.

To sum up, "free trade" as it's currently constructed is a horrible, horrible idea for any developing country.

The idea that there's a supposed consensus amongst first world economists does fuck-all nothing to change that, since "free trade" is incredibly beneficial for first world nations.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    People don't tend to defer to expert opinion on climate change, either, for that matter... acceptance of the reality of AGW is common among certain demographics, but don't mistake it for universal.

Note that support for free trade is more common among the highly educated, compared to the wider population.

From Caplan (2001):
    The positive beliefs of economists systematically differ from those of the general public (Blendon et al 1997; Caplan 1999), but the public is itself heterogeneous. What factors tend to make non-economists "think like economists," i.e., to moderate or eliminate their rejection of economists' consensus positions? Using data from the Survey of Americans and Economists on the Economy (1996; henceforth SAEE), this paper arrives at an extremely consistent but somewhat surprising list of what makes people think like economists: education, maleness, recent and expected income growth, and job security. Income plays little role; if anything, the wealthy think less like economists, not more. Ideology and partisan loyalties exert a strong influence on economic beliefs, but they are almost equally likely to amplify or mitigate respondents' rejection of economists' consensus positions.

Compare, say:
    In general, being younger, college educated, a female, and of a minority race marginally increases the likelihood that an American will believe that temperatures on Earth are increasing. However, we find the strongest factor predicting one's belief in global warming is partisan affiliation, thus confirming previous research on the partisan gap in climate change opinion (Dunlap, 2008). [...]

Republicans are over twice as likely as either Democrats or independents to attribute climate change completely to natural patterns (see Table 6). Such wide variation is not found across any other demographic categories, reflected in rather modest differences identified among classifications based on race, gender, educational attainment, and age.

GW and AGW is an issue where popular perception is strongly aligned along partisan lines; free trade is aligned along different lines.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Economists support free trade because as a rule they have similar priorities. Those of us who don't value GDP growth above all other concerns may come to a different conclusion.

I'm not sure that people like Paul Krugman and Greg Mankiw have a lot of similarities in their priorities.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So, again, the experts have no idea what they're talking about? Economic research is worthless? Economics might as well be theology, or a collection of aesthetic preferences?

Look, if the field of astrophysics had one "school" that held the belief that the sun orbited the earth and one "school" that held the belief that the earth orbited the sun, I would probably be skeptical of astrophysics.

The fact that you found an issue that the neoliberal Chicago-school type economists agree with the Keynesian economists on doesn't mean much; they agree on several things. They still disagree on major, fundamental issues that radically change their models of the rules of economics and so forth. Their predictions are generally non-falsifiable: for a given pheonomenon, an economist will find some way to make the facts conform to his model and his normative predictions will not change. This isn't science. Words have meanings, damn it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    LoklarLoklar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Economics is a beautiful discipline that too many people ignore.

It is the physics of social science.

Loklar on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2011
    Well, liberals embrace AGW, and are skeptical of free trade.

Conservatives embrace free trade, and are skeptical of AGW.

We could come up with complicated reasons for why this is the case, but I think it's more that AGW fits in well with the preferred liberal world view (corporations are bad for the environment and environmentalism is extremely important), while free trade fits in well with the preferred conservative view (the free market is awesome and solves all ills).

[Note that I am being somewhat simplistic and flippant in my characterizations, but the larger point stands.]

Basically, people tend to believe in things which reinforce their existing worldviews. I don't think it has much at all to do with the actual validity of either viewpoint, not only in these two cases, but in a large number of others, as well.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not even really certain I know what they mean by "Free trade".

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Look, if the field of astrophysics had one "school" that held the belief that the sun orbited the earth and one "school" that held the belief that the earth orbited the sun, I would probably be skeptical of astrophysics.

The fact that you found an issue that the neoliberal Chicago-school type economists agree with the Keynesian economists on doesn't mean much; they agree on several things. They still disagree on major, fundamental issues that radically change their models of the rules of economics and so forth. Their predictions are generally non-falsifiable: for a given phenomenon, an economist will find some way to make the facts conform to his model and his normative predictions will not change. This isn't science. Words have meanings, damn it.

The New Keynesian school is now the dominant one in both academia and policymaking, actually... there is plenty of incentive to play up differences in the media, but there is a surprising level of agreement on key issues. Mankiw and Krugman both hail from the same school of thought, although a casual reading of their columns would suggest otherwise.

Surveys among economists during the 1970s generally supported the then casual perception of no consensus, but this has since changed; 1990s-era surveys began showing a gradual formation of broad agreement over macroeconomic policy, coincident with the ascendancy of New Keynesian views over both monetarism and Keynesian predecessors.

The RBC Chicago school is endlessly loud, of course, but they have trouble convincing fellow academics and policymakers.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

No, that would be going too far.

But just because Economics isn't worthless doesn't mean it's a science. Economics is a soft science. Soft like butter. That's not a knock against it or anything, it's just a fact.

A consensus among researchers in a hard science, like physics or geology or something, simply carries more weight because it's a hard science.

The other point to make is the one HamHamJ, about priorities and such. Basically, what does "Free Trade is good" even mean?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm not even really certain I know what they mean by "Free trade".

The broad assertion over whether tariffs and other protective measures generally increase or decrease societal welfare (vaguely defined, as is usual for professional surveys).

But nobody advocates autarky any more, of course, which complicates the issue. Instead all we have are a massive pile of proposed marginal changes, in a system which is closer to managed trade than free trade, and so it is non-obvious whether a given change really makes trade "freer".

Rodrik:
    Tyler makes it sound like the debate is about whether we should increase trade restrictions or lower them. That is really the old debate (the “last war,” to use the term from my previous post). Today’s questions are different. Should the U.S. negotiate more bilateral free trade agreements, or fewer? Should we consider a “strategic pause” in trade negotiations to improve the functioning of the WTO or push hard on the existing Doha agenda? Should core labor standards and environmental safeguards be negotiated jointly with trade agreements? How much “policy space” should the WTO allow for? Should labor mobility be part of international trade agreements? How much quid pro quo should the developing countries offer “in return” for agricultural liberalization in the North? Does competition policy and investment belong in the WTO? Should intellectual property rights protection rules be different for developing nations? None of these questions maps neatly into the more-versus-less restriction dichotomy.

Finally, let me note the irony in how a discussion on free trade among economists quickly ends up being a debate on its politics—that is, a debate on whether this or that trade policy which on economic grounds is actually desirable can also be politically feasible. We are way beyond our area of expertise. Your hand-waving is as good as mine.

Which is all true, and doesn't contradict the broader point that there is consensus on whether trade restrictions harm people (it does). But what counts as a policy that restricts trade more than it liberalizes trade?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm answering from a US-centric view, because that's where I live. To respond to the OP:

1) Special Interest groups have an influence that proportionally outstrips their ratio(s) to all interests.

For example: Wall Street, which represents a significant portion of US wealth, creates no tangible product of value.

2) Because in general, understanding economics hasn't been boiled down sufficiently for the masses.

I am in no way implying that the masses are stupid, but we all have a limited amount of time and only so much can be devoted to any one topic. Global Warming can be boiled down to "The Earth is heating up" which is a simple concept to grasp (not necessarily understood). Man's need to feel important then leads to an easy jump for Anthropological Global Warming.

3) Because Free Trade cannot be used as a tool to control the masses.

Look at limitations placed on the energy industry due to fears of AGW. Every one of those limitations ultimately hits both you and I in the pocketbook.

4) Because Free Trade, at least in my understanding, would work best in a world where ALL countries engaged in Free Trade.

If you have a massive growing economy such as China manipulating Free Trade, then it can create an imabalance of economies ultimately leading to an imbalance of power. China regulates the exchange rate of the RNB to the dollar for good reasons.

Heffling on
  • Options
    LoklarLoklar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    shryke wrote: »

But just because Economics isn't worthless doesn't mean it's a science. Economics is a soft science. Soft like butter. That's not a knock against it or anything, it's just a fact.

A consensus among researchers in a hard science, like physics or geology or something, simply carries more weight because it's a hard science.

The other point to make is the one HamHamJ, about priorities and such. Basically, what does "Free Trade is good" even mean?

I get the same feeling from climatology. Though I believe in it (as I do free trade).

Climatology takes some models and projects the future. Detractors are called fools. No experiments are actually possible...

Seems a lot like economics actually.

Loklar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    People don't tend to defer to expert opinion on climate change, either, for that matter... acceptance of the reality of AGW is common among certain demographics, but don't mistake it for universal.

Note that support for free trade is more common among the highly educated, compared to the wider population.

From Caplan (2001):
    The positive beliefs of economists systematically differ from those of the general public (Blendon et al 1997; Caplan 1999), but the public is itself heterogeneous. What factors tend to make non-economists "think like economists," i.e., to moderate or eliminate their rejection of economists' consensus positions? Using data from the Survey of Americans and Economists on the Economy (1996; henceforth SAEE), this paper arrives at an extremely consistent but somewhat surprising list of what makes people think like economists: education, maleness, recent and expected income growth, and job security. Income plays little role; if anything, the wealthy think less like economists, not more. Ideology and partisan loyalties exert a strong influence on economic beliefs, but they are almost equally likely to amplify or mitigate respondents' rejection of economists' consensus positions.

Compare, say:
    In general, being younger, college educated, a female, and of a minority race marginally increases the likelihood that an American will believe that temperatures on Earth are increasing. However, we find the strongest factor predicting one's belief in global warming is partisan affiliation, thus confirming previous research on the partisan gap in climate change opinion (Dunlap, 2008). [...]

Republicans are over twice as likely as either Democrats or independents to attribute climate change completely to natural patterns (see Table 6). Such wide variation is not found across any other demographic categories, reflected in rather modest differences identified among classifications based on race, gender, educational attainment, and age.

GW and AGW is an issue where popular perception is strongly aligned along partisan lines; free trade is aligned along different lines.

Fair enough; the blog post I got the OP from was primarily concerned with liberals. I tend to agree with your assessment, and I agree with ElJeffe: We tend to have worldviews, and then justify them.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Loklar wrote: »

I get the same feeling from climatology. Though I believe in it (as I do free trade).

Climatology takes some models and projects the future. Detractors are called fools. No experiments are actually possible...

Seems a lot like economics actually.

That's because you don't understand climatology.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I have to extremely strongly disagree with this point. Physics is a hard science because all of the theories of physics can be evaluated using the Scientific Method and the "human factor" can be taken out. I hope you would agree that humans are not always predictable.

Soft sciences such as the Social Sciences are soft because you cannot remove the human factor. Any attempt to mitigate the human factor through use of assumptions such as "Humans are rational beings" ultimately fails when faced with reality. This is a big part of why the New Keynesians have risen to prominence, as the Keynesian theories were shown to be based on flawed assumptions and the theories of the New Keynesians more closely match reality.

Which is not to say they are perfect, they're just better in most cases.

Heffling on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/blog/2011/02/27/why-dont-we-treat-free-trade-like-global-warming/
    Belief in anthropogenic global warming is a sort of political signifier for American liberals – if you don’t think human activity is changing the Earth’s climate, they’re probably not going to take you very seriously. This is not because every leftist has independently verified the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s findings and concluded that people who disagree are blinkered or stupid. Instead, liberals quite sensibly think that when a critical mass of scientists arrive at a certain conclusion, we should take that conclusion as a given and proceed accordingly.

[...]

Why don’t we accord the same level of deference to economists? Shouldn’t the pro-free trade consensus within the field of economics be as bullet-proof as belief in global warming?

It’s not a partisan issue – in my opinion, the best introduction to the benefits of international trade was written by Paul Krugman. And the strength of the pro-free trade consensus in economics is at least as robust as the consensus view among climatologists. There are a few high profile dissenters, but those exist in every field, including climatology.

Maybe I'm strawmanning here, but my perception is that this guy is right. People don't tend to defer to expert opinion on trade. I understand the argument for lowering barriers to trade is somewhat counterintuitive, but is that a sufficient explanation for why people tend to reject the expert consensus on this issue? I don't think it is.

1. Is economics a science?
    2. "Free trade" does not encompass free movement of labor - and if it does, then there are a host of ultimately unworkable political problems.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heffling wrote: »

I have to extremely strongly disagree with this point. Physics is a hard science because all of the theories of physics can be evaluated using the Scientific Method and the "human factor" can be taken out. I hope you would agree that humans are not always predictable.

Soft sciences such as the Social Sciences are soft because you cannot remove the human factor. Any attempt to mitigate the human factor through use of assumptions such as "Humans are rational beings" ultimately fails when faced with reality. This is a big part of why the New Keynesians have risen to prominence, as the Keynesian theories were shown to be based on flawed assumptions and the theories of the New Keynesians more closely match reality.

So you strongly agree with me then?? I'm very confused by your post here.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

@Shryke: Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant I disagree with your definition that Physics is a hard science because of scientific consensus. IMO, consensus has no place in science. This has been demonstrated historically (sun rotates around the earth, earth is flat, etc).

Heffling on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    American liberals... leftist
    LMAO

Azio on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

@Shryke: Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant I disagree with your definition that Physics is a hard science because of scientific consensus. IMO, consensus has no place in science. This has been demonstrated historically (sun rotates around the earth, earth is flat, etc).

Except I never said this.

I said physics is a hard science and therefore a consensus in it carries more weight.

I did not say physics was a hard science because of scientific consensus beacuse ... well because that doesn't even make any sense.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

The fact that you found an issue that the neoliberal Chicago-school type economists agree with the Keynesian economists on doesn't mean much; they agree on several things. They still disagree on major, fundamental issues that radically change their models of the rules of economics and so forth. Their predictions are generally non-falsifiable: for a given pheonomenon, an economist will find some way to make the facts conform to his model and his normative predictions will not change. This isn't science. Words have meanings, damn it.

Surely every field has a periphery where the data is ambiguous and people disagree or are uncertain. How and why should that count against the areas where there is consensus, where the data is clear enough to bring everyone together?

I assume you don't study economics. The anti-free-trade position is fundamentally a position that is either informed by research, or is informed by ignorance. Why not defer to the people who do the research on this issue? Is economic research worthless? Does it have a negative value? Are experts clueless, or actively wrong about the issues they study?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sorry Shryke, I read the word "in" as "is" in your last sentence.

Heffling on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It's true, economics is a soft science. It is not generally possible to ethically conduct verification of its fundamental principles via repeatable laboratory experiment, rather than time-series regression; at best we hunt for natural experiments. The paucity of experimental data means that theory has to step up to fill gaps, at least while we look for ways to disconfirm proposed theoretical links.

Climate science has difficulty achieving repeatable laboratory experiments, too, though. This is not, and should not, be a strike against its status as a science; climate systems and economic systems just exist and the difficulty of conducting double-blinded tests in their respective systems are facts of reality. Any rigorous study of their behavior would invariably encounter the same difficulty.

The similarity is pretty much this: both have a pile of time-series data, some macroscopic mechanics argued loosely from more rigorous testable areas of knowledge, and lots of elaborate modelling (that is acknowledged to approximate reality rather than model it precisely). As such we don't look for, or expect, grand unified theories of global climate; rather we specify mechanisms which theory suggests may be significant and build a model capable of reproducing the observed time-series data.

My non-expert impression is that climate-science modeling tends to have a better handle on what they know they can or can't model accurately, though. It must be nice having so much damn data. The practice of measuring economic aggregates only goes back to the Great Depression.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I once had a libertarian professor...

People are not rational

Exactly.

After asking whether or not nuclear weapons should be legal in an ideal libertarian society, I once had a libertarian tell me, with a straight face no less, "Sure, why not? In that society there would be no point in using nukes."

Absolutely detached from reality, some of these people.

Consensus is valuable when it is based on actual facts as it can weed out experiments that are more than likely to be a complete waste of time.

Science is a bit different today than it was back when the Catholic church wielded immense power and a lot of scientists disingenously dismissed anything that didn't already fit with their preconceived worldview.

Except for the ID movement and creationism, obviously—but who wants to give them the time of day? Right? ...right?

Sigh...if you need me, I'll be over here in my corner tossing geology, mathematics, linguistics, astronomy, and biology textbooks out the window.

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It's true, economics is a soft science. It is not generally possible to ethically conduct verification of its fundamental principles via repeatable laboratory experiment, rather than time-series regression; at best we hunt for natural experiments. The paucity of experimental data means that theory has to step up to fill gaps, at least while we look for ways to disconfirm proposed theoretical links.

Climate science has difficulty achieving repeatable laboratory experiments, too, though. This is not, and should not, be a strike against its status as a science; climate systems and economic systems just exist and the difficulty of conducting double-blinded tests in their respective systems are facts of reality. Any rigorous study of their behavior would invariably encounter the same difficulty.

The similarity is pretty much this: both have a pile of time-series data, some macroscopic mechanics argued loosely from more rigorous testable areas of knowledge, and lots of elaborate modelling (that is acknowledged to approximate reality rather than model it precisely). As such we don't look for, or expect, grand unified theories of global climate; rather we specify mechanisms which theory suggests may be significant and build a model capable of reproducing the observed time-series data.

My non-expert impression is that climate-science modeling tends to have a better handle on what they know they can or can't model accurately, though. It must be nice having so much damn data. The practice of measuring economic aggregates only goes back to the Great Depression.

Climate science also has gobs more data and tons of it is repeated. One of the biggest issues afaik, from what I've seen with economics and you mention here, is that it's not like there's 50 Great Depressions so you can compare and contrast them for various differences and perfect your models and such.

The other thing you are missing here is that climate science has a very rigorous micro-level understanding of what's going. It's alot like physics in that respect. The issue is large scale things with lots of variables.

But again, just to repeat, just because Economics is a soft science doesn't mean it's bad or worthless. It's just a limitation imposed by the type of data it's crunching.

shryke on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the OP of this thread is basically a strawman.

There's always been an unfortunate cross-over of extremism on views. Climate change plays right into the Greenpeace-style activists worldviews so they champion it and attach their baggage to it.

Free trade plays right into big business interests. The problem is they have way more money and power.

I don't think anyone really opposes the concept, but you'd be naive to think "free" trade is what the US has been setting up around the world.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We do. Both are perceived to take away jobs in manufacturing in the United States, therefore free trade and action to deal with global warming are unpopular.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Basically, the field of economics can be divided into two subsets: the subset that is essentially psychology and the subset that is essentially bullshit. You can tell the former from the latter easily: the former takes falsifiable hypotheses and tests them with experiment. That's what science is.

I'm aware that this definition excludes most of the so-called "social sciences" and frankly, I'm okay with that.

Not a rare attitude, but one which (in my experience) is often associated with a knowledge of economic theory and empirics acquired solely from reading newspaper columns. So, just in case:
    Macroeconomics, a mainstream summary:

1. The world, when left alone, is Keynesian.

2. Unfortunately, when one tries to exploit observed Keynesian relationships to achieve a desired state, it stops being Keynesian.

3. So let's argue over what are the real reasons for Keynesian behavior, so that we can engineer the results that we want.

---

Which is why attitudes like this - namely, that modern microeconomics is acceptably scientific but modern macro is voodoo - strike me as odd, because what modern macro is, is trying to explain macro in terms of modern microeconomics: price theory, game theory, rationality, equilibria, etc. It's possible, certainly, to have a finessed view that justifies one but not the other, and I like to think that I am that sophisticated, but I have no delusion that this is a common or elegant view.

So that's macro. You mentioned Kahnemen; you may be disappointed to learn that prospect theory has proven difficult to reliably confirm; laboratory participants tend to learn their way out of proposed behavior (i.e., with enough repetitions, participants cease to display the kinked preference curves that distinguish prospect theory from simpler neoclassical theories). Economics remains a study of aggregates, invoking natural experiments where possible.

It's possible that in the future we may have a set of fundamentals which people don't diverge from, but we certainly don't have it now, and advances in behavioral economics thus far suffers from the same broad problem that dangling $5 carrots in front of bored college students is not quite the same as most interesting economic activity.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Climate science also has gobs more data and tons of it is repeated. One of the biggest issues afaik, from what I've seen with economics and you mention here, is that it's not like there's 50 Great Depressions so you can compare and contrast them for various differences and perfect your models and such.

The other thing you are missing here is that climate science has a very rigorous micro-level understanding of what's going. It's a lot like physics in that respect. The issue is large scale things with lots of variables.

But again, just to repeat, just because Economics is a soft science doesn't mean it's bad or worthless. It's just a limitation imposed by the type of data it's crunching.

Oh, yes, climate science has a ton of micro-level mechanisms - that are, individually, rigorously verified. Certainly. Rigorously studying air is usually much easier than rigorously studying individuals. But there are micro-level mechanisms which are less easy to reproduce than others - like clouds - and it is those which apparently account for much of the uncertainty that exists in current models.

For the purposes of the topic of anthropogenic global warming, this level of uncertainty is presumably not concerning, of course. But I think it would be misleading to claim that climate science has a physics-level certainty of its microscopic foundations.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Speaker wrote: »

[...]

1. Is economics a science?
    2. "Free trade" does not encompass free movement of labor - and if it does, then there are a host of ultimately unworkable political problems.

1. What would a "yes" answer suggest? What would a "no" answer suggest?
    2. I think any rigorous definition of free trade would necessarily include labor. I'm not sure what the difficulty of political obstacles implies though. The Senate in America, for example, makes a lot of things essentially unworkable. So...?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg