As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Welp, tomorrow I report for my first day of active duty. I'll then get 10 house hunting days, but I think I've found a good place already.

Not sure what to do then. Maybe I can get a scalp ticket for PAX east over the weekend. That'd be cool.

Hey man, we should grab lunch some time since we're on the same base. Probably even the same building.

Where did you find a place?

Sounds great! I haven't settled on a place. Want to talk to the other LTs. Thing is, I'm not a big night life or city person, although I do appreciate visiting cities. So being in Boston isn't really necessary or my speed. Meanwhile I found a nice apartment right outside the gate for a good price, and then on base housing offers a town house for 2000, including all utilities. Like heat. And AC. And hey long showers are cool. Thats peanuts with a room mate at my BAH of 2160.

I don't want to live on base because it is kind of definitely lame for a young LT to do so, but it is a good price and god I love the convenience. Although I know the reverse commute isn't bad at all.

I'm very conflicted.

Don't live on base. A bit off-base is fine; heat should be included in rent, and AC usually doesn't crank up the electricity bill too much. I pay about 1,250 for a 700 sq ft single in Arlington, with about 30 for electricity, 50 for internet, and that's *it*. Water, sewer, and trash collection are all included as well.

Live close and bike to work. It doesn't take very long to get through the gate in a car anyway (0-5 minutes). If you do like bicycling, the Minuteman Trail runs from East Arlington to right near one of the gates, so anywhere on that trail would be good too. Takes me about 45 minutes each way.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up, most base housing orgs dont' let you split your place like you're planning (getting a roommate). They have to do the whole process again for them, and then charge you BOTH something exorbinant like $1800. Unless you're flying under the radar, so to speak. But don't do that, you'll get caught and its defrauding the government and its just bad overall.

Base housing in general is the BEST for young Airmen and NCO's with families whose spouse may be staying at home. You can do much better for your money! Plus base housing is like the worst HOA you've ever been a part of.

Oh, your lawn is upkempt? Letter to your commander. Left your dog outside for an hour over lunch and he's barking too much? Someone calls Security Forces.

Yeah screw base housing.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Ok fair enough! Looked at a pair of places needing roommates over the weekend. Located in Arlington/Somerville near Tufts University.

Also found out this is a three year assignment... the GF will not be happy.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    "Do you want to transfer your AFSC forever and with a near 100% selection rate? You have two weeks to decide then we move you next month. GO!"

Btw, just got picked up for this; permanent change in my AFSC to space operations. Flying satellites, launching rockets, or early warning detection.

Not sure what or where or when, but it's happeni-hhnnngggggg!

send us a postcard from Minot when you get there.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ok fair enough! Looked at a pair of places needing roommates over the weekend. Located in Arlington/Somerville near Tufts University.

Also found out this is a three year assignment... the GF will not be happy.

You *may* move CONUS to OCONUS at 24 months Time On Station (TOS). This is AFI driven, meaning you can't (without a waiver) move overseas before 24 months on station.

In most cases you *must* move at 48 months TOS, but this is career field driven so its not nearly as black and white.

I volunteered to move, and am on my 4th base in not quite 7 years. Hoping to hang out here for a bit.

Base 1 - 2 years just barely
    Base 2 - Overseas short (16 months)
    Base 3 - Overseas "long" but without any dependents so 24 months
    Base 4 - Here I am! Been here a bit over a year. Starting to get the itch!

You'll (probably) have some free time as a new LT, definitely take the time to read the regs a bit. Specifically the JFTR (Joint Federal Travel Reg), Personnel, and Assignments. They're all stupid large but will help immensely. They've definitely helped me a ton.

Somerville can be great! I have a lot of friends who live in that area and love it, specifically near Tufts. If I hear any of them needing a roommate I'll drop you a line.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    I'd appreciate that! And the information. I'll paw through the regs.

I've found a nice place in Woburn at the moment. 2 bed 2 bath so good with a roommate. Equal distance from base and the alewife station (a terminus for Boston's subway/transit system for those being subjected to our Boston talk).

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Somerville is awesome living-quality wise. Tons of restaurants, bars and other stuff. Plus, all the geeky stuff is generally in the Somerville/Cambridge area due to MIT etc.
    Be sure to check out the Festival of Indie Games

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Is there a reason why I am being charged an excess cost during the Defense Personal Property System moving process if my alottment of lbs is 10,000 and I am at 3500? What is this bullshit?

Called and apparently its just a thing that happens for some reason and it is usually ignored. Hmm. We'll see.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »
    "Do you want to transfer your AFSC forever and with a near 100% selection rate? You have two weeks to decide then we move you next month. GO!"

Btw, just got picked up for this; permanent change in my AFSC to space operations. Flying satellites, launching rockets, or early warning detection.

Cheers! Too bad I'm not a missileer and can't actually go there.

Vandenberg CA, Cape Cod MA, Buckley- Denver CO, Schriever- Colorado Springs CO, or Cape Canaveral FL for me.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    Is there a reason why I am being charged an excess cost during the Defense Personal Property System moving process if my alottment of lbs is 10,000 and I am at 3500? What is this bullshit?

Called and apparently its just a thing that happens for some reason and it is usually ignored. Hmm. We'll see.

That sounds like an A1C answer that isn't really right. I wouldn't let it fly. How are you going to be reimbursed for it?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Vandenberg CA, Cape Cod MA, Buckley- Denver CO, Schriever- Colorado Springs CO, or Cape Canaveral FL for me.

Buckley wasn't too bad. Was my first assignment, though I worked on the maintenance side of the house and got shit on by a few of the jammy wearers. 24 hour ops. Off base was pretty great.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

That sounds like a pretty good selection. Though I'd even do space stuff in Ft Polk given the option.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Buckley wasn't too bad. Was my first assignment, though I worked on the maintenance side of the house and got shit on by a few of the jammy wearers. 24 hour ops. Off base was pretty great.

Joke's on them now. They can't wear jammies anymore.

I'm not upset because I never could in the first place, so... no big deal.

although the A-2 jacket would have been pretty sweet.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I'm back!

I'll post a more detailed version, but holy shit. What a fucking waste of time.

• Options
    So apparently I passed the phone screening thing for the three letter agency I applied too. On to the next step.

But now I'm on AD. I'm not mad that I did the AF, especially because it is ROTC experience that got me this far, but I should have pushed harder for a reserve or ANG job.

It just really fucking sucks.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I don't know what three letter agency you were hoping to work at but it can still be an option based on your job. Almost all of them have military working with them.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Bleh, I don't really feel like ranting about how silly it was. Summary of my experience was that we played football, softball, golfed, and watched movies on my laptop in our AA for 2.5 weeks and did nothing productive. Fun times.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Waffen wrote: »
    Bleh, I don't really feel like ranting about how silly it was. Summary of my experience was that we played football, softball, golfed, and watched movies on my laptop in our AA for 2.5 weeks and did nothing productive. Fun times.

That sounds suspiciously like an Air Force deployment...
    So apparently I passed the phone screening thing for the three letter agency I applied too. On to the next step.

But now I'm on AD. I'm not mad that I did the AF, especially because it is ROTC experience that got me this far, but I should have pushed harder for a reserve or ANG job.

It just really ####### sucks.

If they really like you, they can do things to bring you on board in other ways.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    One of my old PL'S went straight from active duty Army to CIA. He still had I think 2 years on his obligation. So it's possible.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    I know, I wouldn't do anything without an offer first though. I could also apply for voluntary sep.

Problem is that my career field is critically manned - 64P. Although more at the captain+ range, its still true for LTs. It is the only air force officer Afsc (I think) that's not rated or combat airman. I fear they would say no, but I can hope.

• Options
    I ain't even got anchors yet but I was sought out for training by a JO today.

That's a p good feeling.

• Options
    I mentioned a few months ago that I want to move into a house. Question now is, when should I actually call people about renting/moving into a house? I have till Mid September before my lease here expires, but I want to jump start that process as early as possible. In the meantime I was going to...

A. Apply for On Post Housing. JBLM's town center is three floor town houses. Was going to apply now to get on the list for those.
    B. Apply for a room in an apartment in Dupont as a last resort. Would rather pay more and live five minutes from post than 25 and deal with horrible apartment people.
    C. Want to start looking for a house and get it locked in asap.

• Options
    Look at places now as you can (don't make it your job)find the areas you like. We looked at houses for like 2 weeks when we moved here and moved in the following week after selecting it. You can also play with move in date so you aren't paying for 2 places for too long a time.

• Options
    Waffen, are you looking to purchase a house? If so, VA loan or conventional? VA loans can be great but that A) Generally take longer and B) there are "totally not down payment" costs associated with them. Smaller than your normal 20% for sure, but still not cheap.

• Options
    Waffen, are you looking to purchase a house? If so, VA loan or conventional? VA loans can be great but that A) Generally take longer and B) there are "totally not down payment" costs associated with them. Smaller than your normal 20% for sure, but still not cheap.

Renting. I don't want to purchase a home until I finish off paying my student loans off. I'm still floating around $20k and am saving up to lump sum pay it off.

• Options

Renting. I don't want to purchase a home until I finish off paying my student loans off. I'm still floating around $20k and am saving up to lump sum pay it off.

....can I ask why? I mean you need some liquid cash yeah but I wouldn't wait to start making serious payments (re: overpayments). I know my own "starter" Loan from USAA was a measly 1.9% or something, so it made sense to save some money before paying it down. However if you've got student loans or other (car, personal loan) with a higher interest rate it would probably make sense to start paying now vs. saving for a big payout. Depends how much you think you can make the money work for you, too. If you're going to play stocks and such and try and net 7%....I'm rambling but yeah.

As for your original question, if you're looking to rent a place I wouldn't start calling more than a month or so out. Even then, a lot of places you call will be gone by the time you show up on location.

• Options

How high have you seen? We've been looking at this depending on orders and the only estimate I got was ~12k.

• Options
    Oh yeah also Waffen pay off as much as you can as soon as you can with any high interest loans. Keep some liquid cash for emergencies sure but Iceman is right, there's no reason to sit on a large sum of cash.

• Options
    I'm great saving money, but a terrible investor is why. I don't live paycheck to paycheck, I just don't know how to multiply my money. I mean, I have TSP, but I know that's not enough.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Regardless you should put any and all extra cash towards the student loans if they're high interest. Waiting to make a single payment doesn't make financial sense.

If they're not high interest then investing is easy and the better option. Mutual funds are a simple way to do so. I'd recommend going through Vanguard or Fidelity.

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

How high have you seen? We've been looking at this depending on orders and the only estimate I got was ~12k.

I think mine was right around there. I paid in some points (almost $6k!) in addition so I think overall my cost that day was ~17k. It's certainly a lot, I think almost $5k was VA "fees". Given the choice I'd go conventional if I could put enough down to knock off PMI.
    I'm great saving money, but a terrible investor is why. I don't live paycheck to paycheck, I just don't know how to multiply my money. I mean, I have TSP, but I know that's not enough.

Step one is to figure out what the interest rates are on everything you owe, and the interest rates of where your money stays (IE checking, savings, etc).

Step two. Get into your TSP account (if you haven't already) and compare those debt interest rates to the annual rates of the TSP. Also consider moving your TSP contributions from the default G fund into other funds. They're somewhat self explanatory. Just keep in mind that if you're going into one of the life-cycle funds, your retirement is not when you retire from the military but at roughly age 60 or 62. How much are you putting in now? The max for 2015 is $18,000 assuming you're not getting Combat Zone Tax Exclusion, which bumps that up to like $50k or something.

Step three. You'll have to do some math because it's early and I haven't had coffee and fffffff. Anyway, figure out how much you're paying in interest to your debt in whatever time period is fun (I prefer months since most companies do this for you). Then figure out how much you could make by putting all your extra money into TSP. Put your money in the corresponding location. Basically if you'll make more (TSP) than it costs (Loan) then put some money in TSP. If it'll cost you more in the loan than you'll make in TSP, pay down the loan faster.

Now, obviously TSP isn't just a big mattress with money stuffed in it, there's risk involved. Additionally it's not exactly liquid, meaning you can't get to it without paying some penalties. Additionally paying down your existing loans quickly *is* a really awesome feeling. You've also got to use some common sense as the math isn't precise especially when it comes to the TSP. If you're only "making" $20 over the course of the year, it might be a smarter decision to pay down the loan as that's a more "guaranteed" result.

Lastly, and a lot of folks I talk to don't realize this, you can only contribute to the TSP while you're serving. I believe you can also contribute as a GS (civilian) employee. Something to keep in mind. There are options to roll things over, etc, but by and large you've got ~20 years to contribute to TSP before it gets more expensive. Sorry if any of this comes off as condescending, not at all how I mean it. Just tough to convey over text.

• Options

Wait! You're moving? REALLY?
    Also we need to hang out again.

• Options

Wait! You're moving? REALLY?
    Also we need to hang out again.

Potentially. Waiting to hear about orders.

And yes! We should!

• Options
    Step two. Get into your TSP account (if you haven't already) and compare those debt interest rates to the annual rates of the TSP. Also consider moving your TSP contributions from the default G fund into other funds. They're somewhat self explanatory. Just keep in mind that if you're going into one of the life-cycle funds, your retirement is not when you retire from the military but at roughly age 60 or 62. How much are you putting in now? The max for 2015 is $18,000 assuming you're not getting Combat Zone Tax Exclusion, which bumps that up to like $50k or something

I'm currently depositing about 10% of each paycheck into TSP. Yeah, I know I need to look into it. I just don't really know where to start with investing. That and I'm a terrible hoarder. I like to have access to my money because of "worst case scenarios".

• Options
    edited March 2015
    You only need an emergency fund to last so long. Generally 3-6 months of your total monthly expenses. Anything after that is fairly superfluous. You have fantastic job security.

Edit: And as far as investing outside of your TSP, mutual funds are a great option.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2015

So apparently the kind of training class you take needs to coincide with the mission of the base, which makes sense of course, but the training class you get is dependent on timing. I wasn't aware that part, and with my timing, none of these bases were even possible.

It was either Beale, Thule, or Cavalier, and I got the one that doesn't involve a parka. (They would have had to ask for volunteers for the other two if they needed, but they didn't.)

Anyone know anything about Beale, aside from it being northern California?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Lastly, and a lot of folks I talk to don't realize this, you can only contribute to the TSP while you're serving. I believe you can also contribute as a GS (civilian) employee. Something to keep in mind. There are options to roll things over, etc, but by and large you've got ~20 years to contribute to TSP before it gets more expensive. Sorry if any of this comes off as condescending, not at all how I mean it. Just tough to convey over text.

Yes, Fed employees participate in TSP. I prefer the lifecycle funds over the G fund because they're a mix of G, F, and the riskier stock index funds. Also, you're not locked into a particular lifecycle fund by your expected retire date. I chose the L 2040 fund for a little better return (and a little more risk) even though my retire date is closer to 2030. You can change your allocation whenever, so it's not like you're stuck with a bad decision forever.

(Of course I Am Not A Financial Expert and you should consult one if you have any questions.)

• Options

So apparently the kind of training class you take needs to coincide with the mission of the base, which makes sense of course, but the training class you get is dependent on timing. I wasn't aware that part, and with my timing, none of these bases were even possible.

It was either Beale, Thule, or Cavalier, and I got the one that doesn't involve a parka. (They would have had to ask for volunteers for the other two if they needed, but they didn't.)

I know some Comm guys hated it.
    Those same comm guys hated Germany though...so take that for what it is. Any assignment is what you make of it ultimately. A lot of cool shit to see in that area if you are up for a drive.
    You're out in the boons a bit from what I understand. Which can be a downer at times. Might be a good spot to do school while you can get it in.

• Options
    edited April 2015

I know some Comm guys hated it.
    Those same comm guys hated Germany though...so take that for what it is. Any assignment is what you make of it ultimately. A lot of cool shit to see in that area if you are up for a drive.
    You're out in the boons a bit from what I understand. Which can be a downer at times. Might be a good spot to do school while you can get it in.

Minus space training, school is already done... forever. I'm digging that I'll finally be able to ride my goddamn motorcycle for more than two months of the year.

Housing allowance is *half* of what I have now. Speaking of which, and I've tried the google for this, but if you go to TDY en route to PCS, do you still get BAH from your old duty location if you are without dependents? Because at OTS, those of us without dependents got zero BAH. I'm wondering if it's the same thing because OTS was also a TDY en route to PCS.

In addition, I'm looking into the intricacies of Palace Front'ing. It seems too good to be true.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Driven by that area in Cali - pretty empty and meh, but great year-round mountain biking and easy access to Tahoe.

This discussion has been closed.