As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gambit Hatespeech Project

Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So MIT did a research project on hatespeech in Halo:Reach and a couple of (official? not certain) gaming forums. The full details of how it was conducted and the exact responses received are available in the link, but in short, the responses were more or less exactly what you'd expect. The Reach research focused on hatespeech against Muslims, homosexuals, and blacks; the forum research focused on anti-feminist discussions. Of note is that there wasn't really a control for the gamertag study; I'd have been interested in hearing how often someone who simply played poorly without a notable tag was called a cocksucking faggot motherfucker (or whatever) compared to someone whose gamertag implicitly outed them, as well as seeing whether or not comments dropped off among teammates (or went up among opponents) as skill levels improved.

Things I noticed were that while there were certainly anti-Muslim comments, they were rather fewer and more muted than I expected; griefing seemed more common than actually yelling at him. Similarly, as noted by the researcher, the "black_and_proud" tag received little direct criticism - most of the [censored] comments were not directed at the explicitly black player, but rather in a general way; "five [censored] heading around back," for example. The player did get crap when he objected to the usage, though.

The gaypride tag got about the amount and quality of response that I expected.

The forum stuff was somewhat hard to follow - there are occasional stumbles in the narration, and I wasn't certain if these were separate posts or if there was emphasis there I didn't see; I really wish they'd just made the posts available to read - but although there was a lot of stuff said that was stupid, none of it sounded malicious, especially compared to the flak the guy playing Halo got.

Thoughts?

Salvation122 on

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thoughts?

MIT discovers what everyone who uses the internet already knows?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thoughts? Well, an utter lack of surprise I guess.

I mean it's cool that there's an actual study and everything but to me this is like MIT doing a study on whether the sky does actually appear blue on a clear day.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Thoughts?

It's surprising how little condemnation there is of this speech in gaming communities. If the greater community stood up to these people, they'd stfu. This is the one aspect of gaming that really bothers me.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The study forgotten to mentioned that 90% of these commits are coming from whiny voiced 9 years old.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, in game I'd guess people are more interested in playing the game then getting into arguments with strangers. Personally I have in-game voice chat turned off unless I'm playing with a group of people I know for this very reason.

Forums is less understandable but internet forums are incredibly diverse in community tolerance on this kind of crap.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, in game I'd guess people are more interested in playing the game then getting into arguments with strangers. Personally I have in-game voice chat turned off unless I'm playing with a group of people I know for this very reason.

Forums is less understandable but internet forums are incredibly diverse in community tolerance on this kind of crap.

This is why I don't play with strangers, and have distanced myself from mainstream gaming generally. I've also found consoles to be worse than PC.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sanstodo wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Thoughts?

It's surprising how little condemnation there is of this speech in gaming communities. If the greater community stood up to these people, they'd stfu. This is the one aspect of gaming that really bothers me.

the "greater community" includes a large number of adolescent boys who think that shit is hilarious and appropriate

i think there are more of "these people" than you might think, unfortunately

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    sanstodo wrote: »

This is why I don't play with strangers, and have distanced myself from mainstream gaming generally. I've also found consoles to be worse than PC.

Yeah I've largely given up playing with strangers too. I mean a big part of that is that playing with people I know is just so much more fun but the terribadness of random assholes in voice chat definately plays a significant role as well.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's voice chat in games!?!
    Seriously, I have to turn it off when playing shooters on consoles because it gets so bad.
    Not like anyone is saying anything important anyways in most case.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sometimes it's worth it to hear how stupid or hilarious people are

i was playing halo with the four-letter tag DUSH, because i am actually a giggling six year old boy, and someone climbed onto a warthog i was piloting and yelled "HAHAHAHA! Let's go, DOOOOUUUUUUUCHE!"

i was laughing so hard that i promptly drove off a cliff.

and i didn't hear a single racist slur that entire game. sometimes it works out.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Adam Sessler covered this pretty well a while ago.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It should come as no surprise that this project was motivated by the recent Dickwolves debacle in the Penny Arcade community. We felt that the vicious harassment directed at rape survivors was an example of an enduring atmosphere surrounding online interactions between game-players, where hate speech is tolerated, accepted, and barely recognized in day-to-day play. Some writers defended the Penny Arcade community during the incident by arguing that the use of such language is commonplace among gamers. We agree that it is all too common.

Many of our staff and colleagues will not be presenting their work at PAX East this weekend because they feel uncomfortable attending the expo this year. However, as a research lab in a university, we felt it was also important to seize a teachable moment.

This is dumb. The PA community is being blamed for that when the real culprits are anonymous asshats posting disgusting vitriol on various messageboards and blogs?

"Some writers..." who? Weasel words. No one here would be dumb enough to say that it's okay to be an idiot or racist just because it is commonplace among teenage gamers!

It is ridiculous to hold PAX responsible for the action of a bunch of 4channers when it should be clear to anyone paying attention that, even though the Dickwolves debacle originated from PA, this is ultimately not Penny-Arcade's fault.

Paragon on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I won't stand for any hatespeech against Gambit. He's a great Cajun who just so happens to be a mutant with explosive playing cards.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So some people at MIT did an utterly unscientific study and found that sometimes people are dicks? Good for them I guess.

Neaden on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Paragon wrote: »
    It should come as no surprise that this project was motivated by the recent Dickwolves debacle in the Penny Arcade community. We felt that the vicious harassment directed at rape survivors was an example of an enduring atmosphere surrounding online interactions between game-players, where hate speech is tolerated, accepted, and barely recognized in day-to-day play. Some writers defended the Penny Arcade community during the incident by arguing that the use of such language is commonplace among gamers. We agree that it is all too common.

Many of our staff and colleagues will not be presenting their work at PAX East this weekend because they feel uncomfortable attending the expo this year. However, as a research lab in a university, we felt it was also important to seize a teachable moment.

This is dumb. The PA community is being blamed for that when the real culprits are anonymous asshats posting disgusting vitriol on various messageboards and blogs?

"Some writers..." who? Weasel words. No one here would be dumb enough to say that it's okay to be an idiot or racist just because it is commonplace among teenage gamers!

It is ridiculous to hold PAX responsible for the action of a bunch of 4channers when it should be clear to anyone paying attention that, even though the Dickwolves debacle originated from PA, this is ultimately not Penny-Arcade's fault.

Wow, that is indeed some silly goosery :shock:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wait... the PA community that was pretty much in agreement on calling the assholes pulling that shit "assholes who were pulling shit"?

Ok, we all apparently suck guys. Boo to us.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    LoklarLoklar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Paragon wrote: »

Wow, that is indeed some silly goosery :shock:

Why are these researchers making a moral judgment on the norms of a community? Shouldn't their aim be one of understanding?

If these researchers were working the the 50's they'd be saying how Dungeons and Dragons is corruping America's moral values. Had it been the 70's it would've been heavy metal. Oh well.

Loklar on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's really hard to tell from that blurb what they think "the penny arcade community" is. Certainly "vicious harassment of rape victims" didn't happen on these boards or (I assume) at PAXes.

It feels a lot more like "the penny arcade community" is a proxy for "some dudes from the internet."

It also doesn't seem like the whole dickwolves thing is relevant at all to the findings of their study.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Having watched a decent bit of the video, it's also not clear what conclusion we're supposed to draw other than "people say fucked up shit when they know they're anonymous."

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah pretty much my point.

There were people going to the feminist blogs and posting some really hateful despicable shit.

Every once in awhile in the thread on it here someone would bring it up and pretty much universally the response was "Yeah, those people fucking suck". Then discussion would go back to whether or not some terms that turn up in feminist discussions were stupid/insulting/inflammatory from what I remember.

It's been awhile though and no way am I going digging for or, god forbid, reading through that trainwreck again.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That being said it is nice to see Serious People trying to bring the kind of casual vicious bigotry that goes on in random online games into some public light. Cause, fuck those people.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is the comment I just submitted to moderation on http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/2011/03/hate_speech_in_game_communitie.php -
    I consider myself part of the "Penny Arcade community" you describe. And I agree wholeheartedly. Especially this comment: "We believe that the pervasive reality of exclusionary speech in online game communities stands directly against the inclusive ideals of PAX."

I'm going to echo what I said here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=18204941#post18204941

Gamers are a community that has slowly climbed out from ostracism into the mainstream. Gaming was once a hobby for nerds and geeks, and now it's the a larger entertainment industry than Hollywood movies. This was addressed, courageously and beautifully, by Warren Spector in his keynote speech at PAX Seattle 2010.

Yet we are bullying others in ways even worse than we were once bullied, and it is absolutely unacceptable. The common explanation, that anonymity is to blame (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/) may be the most accurate, or there may be something else about gamers in particular that allows these behaviors to flourish. I don't know, but it's up to us to discourage them in whatever way we can.

That said, I want to offer one criticism of your post. The Penny Arcade community is diverse - we have people of every sex, sexual preference, race, and religion. Some of us are transgendered, some are disabled, some are high school students, some are professional adults with families. Please do not let the actions of a vocal and reprehensible minority color your opinion of the community at large. I do not believe, personally, that Mike and Jerry are doing enough to discourage "fuckwad" behavior among their fanbase, as evidenced by their flippant and misdirected response to the Dickwolves controversy (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/8/13/). Despite that, I have personally found the Penny Arcade community to be more mature and mindful than other gamer communities across the Internet, which is why I'm proud to consider myself a part of it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So MIT did a research project on hatespeech in Halo:Reach and a couple of (official? not certain) gaming forums. The full details of how it was conducted and the exact responses received are available in the link, but in short, the responses were more or less exactly what you'd expect. The Reach research focused on hatespeech against Muslims, homosexuals, and blacks; the forum research focused on anti-feminist discussions. Of note is that there wasn't really a control for the gamertag study; I'd have been interested in hearing how often someone who simply played poorly without a notable tag was called a cocksucking faggot motherfucker (or whatever) compared to someone whose gamertag implicitly outed them, as well as seeing whether or not comments dropped off among teammates (or went up among opponents) as skill levels improved.

Things I noticed were that while there were certainly anti-Muslim comments, they were rather fewer and more muted than I expected; griefing seemed more common than actually yelling at him. Similarly, as noted by the researcher, the "black_and_proud" tag received little direct criticism - most of the [censored] comments were not directed at the explicitly black player, but rather in a general way; "five [censored] heading around back," for example. The player did get crap when he objected to the usage, though.

The gaypride tag got about the amount and quality of response that I expected.

The forum stuff was somewhat hard to follow - there are occasional stumbles in the narration, and I wasn't certain if these were separate posts or if there was emphasis there I didn't see; I really wish they'd just made the posts available to read - but although there was a lot of stuff said that was stupid, none of it sounded malicious, especially compared to the flak the guy playing Halo got.

Thoughts?

I think the comments about "Nothing surprising here" might have missed this part. It is kind of interesting.

I'm not sure on the quality of the study in question here, but if it's decent, it's interesting that the racism evident in these communities is more of the general using-inappropriate-words kind then direct insult kind.

Except, apparently, when it comes to gays.

The fact that people are mocked for demanding idiots stop using racial slurs is, of course, not surprising in the slightest.

shryke on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    I think the comments about "Nothing surprising here" might have missed this part. It is kind of interesting.

Evidence, well-presented, supporting a truth that we already know is still evidence. It still has the potential of changing minds - even if only to demonstrate to non-gamers that there are gamers who care about this issue and are fighting to improve things.
    I'm not sure on the quality of the study in question here, but if it's decent, it's interesting that the racism evident in these communities is more of the general using-inappropriate-words kind then direct insult kind.

Well, this is more of an art or anthropology project than a social science study, really. It would serve as a decent preliminary study, the sort of thing you might do as a proof-of-concept to an institutional review board or to a psych department to get the greenlight and funding to go forward with more rigorous research. There's no control groups, very little discussion of coding standards, the forum data all came from three forums for direct competitors in the same genre, etc. But I don't mean to be too damning here, this is still good documentation of a phenomenon that is inarguably prevalent.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trolls troll for effect.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm wondering if the basis of their research was taken from Twitter, since that seems to be one of the main places I saw really stupid comments.

There certainly wasn't any of that stuff in our forums.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    This is the comment I just submitted to moderation on http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/2011/03/hate_speech_in_game_communitie.php -
    *snip* Please do not let the actions of a vocal and reprehensible minority color your opinion of the community at large. I do not believe, personally, that Mike and Jerry are doing enough to discourage "fuckwad" behavior among their fanbase, as evidenced by their flippant and misdirected response to the Dickwolves controversy (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/8/13/). Despite that, I have personally found the Penny Arcade community to be more mature and mindful than other gamer communities across the Internet, which is why I'm proud to consider myself a part of it.

Keep in mind, you may be thinking about the retorts from the original G&T thread here, but what you are actually doing right now is linking the vocal minority of the PA community with the blog invasions against rape victims as that is what was talked about in the article.

In other words, you may want to clarify that point, because I refuse to believe that a bunch of G&Ters were involved in the more vicious trolling that happened. The Dickwolves debacle quickly got out of hand and many other sites, such as 4chan, Reddit, SA, etc, heard of the story. We all know how fast things spread on the internet, and I think it is unfair to imply PA is to blame for such atrocious behaviour when it fits the motif of 4channers.

Anyway, I think we should be careful and try to stay on topic. I don't know if the mods would want this to touch too much on the Dickwolves controversy even though it is related to a certain extent.

Edit: I don't know the history of the previous Dickwolf threads as I haven't been paying full attention (i.e., if they were locked or not, etc). I'm just assuming it has been argued to death already, and I don't want to incur the ire of our mods.

Paragon on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    saint2e wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the basis of their research was taken from Twitter, since that seems to be one of the main places I saw really stupid comments.

There certainly wasn't any of that stuff in our forums.

Oh, there was a fair chunk of stupid shit here. But I agree, nothing like the vitriol that hit the blogs and Twitter. PA forums are pretty tolerable most of the time when it comes to issues like this, but lets not be pretending everyone here is Captain Progressive, Champion of the Social Minority.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Study aside, I don't get this idea that people -- that someone -- is expected to take responsibility for what is said and done on xbl or psn.

It's not like a game server, where mods can put up disclaimers in the motd saying they will ban people for racism or hate speech, and then actually reinforce those bans. You get on xbl and you have zero control over any of the other players, and until Microsoft or Sony does something about it themselves, you never will. There is no amount of "community" that can exert pressure, that they could never enforce, toward completely random and anonymous people.

Forum stuff, though? That's just dumb. But who in their right mind would post on an official forum anyway.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One of these issues that these studies are going to gloss over is that the online community has a very small ability to affect the behavior of these people. It's the parents, other family, friends, and coworkers of these individuals who actually have some ability to affect their behavior in a meaningful way.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    One of these issues that these studies are going to gloss over is that the online community has a very small ability to affect the behavior of these people. It's the parents, other family, friends, and coworkers of these individuals who actually have some ability to affect their behavior in a meaningful way.

You think that parents and friends have the ability to affect anonymous online behavior? Odds are the parents/friends/family/whoever don't even know that shit is going on. Most "racist bigots" online aren't even really racist bigots. They just act that way online. So how would a person from real life have any clue what was going on?

From a guy who used to participate in such behavior to some extent when I was younger, I can tell you that most of the time when a 12 year old says a slur against homosexuals or blacks, it has literally nothing to do with homosexuals or blacks.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CasedOut wrote: »
    You think that parents and friends have the ability to affect anonymous online behavior?

Yes. If children are not taught to genuinely care about the feelings of others, then they're going to be comfortable being dicks whenever they can get away with it and especially if they feel it benefits them to do so.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Never mind the fact that parents should be watching their kids while playing online. I don't necessarily mean that they stand in the same room, but if they're playing video games, it's a good idea to keep the door open, and if little Timmy says something like "Cockbiting Jew Lizard" he gets one warning, and then he doesn't get to play his games for a month if he does it again.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    From a guy who used to participate in such behavior to some extent when I was younger, I can tell you that most of the time when a 12 year old says a slur against homosexuals or blacks, it has literally nothing to do with homosexuals or blacks.
    No, it definitely has "something to do" with homosexuals or blacks. Now, you might have meant that the motivation has nothing to do with those groups, which I think is debatable, but that kind of language definitely stems from a discriminatory culture and reinforces it.

Bama on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bama wrote: »
    No, it definitely has "something to do" with homosexuals or blacks. Now, you might have meant that the motivation has nothing to do with those groups, which I think is debatable, but that kind of language definitely stems from a discriminatory culture and reinforces it.

Yes I meant the motivation, and admittedly for some kids they might have racist motivations, but I do not think that is true for the majority of them.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think that's a pretty hard claim to make. I mean, kids probably don't have some ideological "gays are destroying america" bent, but that doesn't mean they aren't thinking "man gay people are icky and I don't want to be around them."

Is that their fault? Not really, they're 12. But I think it's silly to say that prejudice isn't involved and it's just something being said for a reaction. I also think it's really easy to read your current state of mind into what you said as a child. I catch myself doing this all the time.

I also think it's possible for anonymous communities to influence behavior. Not as strongly if there's no actual enforcement power (as in XBL), but if somebody says something dumb and three or four other people on the server just give them a "kid, shut the fuck up," the behavior changes surprisingly quickly.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Most "racist bigots" online aren't even really racist bigots. They just act that way online

I think the reverse is probably true. Lots of folks have prejudices, but feel like they can only voice them in an anonymous environment.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Except, apparently, when it comes to gays.

Well yeah it's not actually all that surprising. It's what you'd expect from any random predominately white male group.

Julius on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    It doesn't matter if they don't really believe the -ism they're referencing, what it is is bullying behaviour. And I don't know if you've noticed, but there's been a lot of public discussion lately about the effects of bullying on civil society, how common it really is, and how crap we are at managing it.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Cat wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if they don't really believe the -ism they're referencing, what it is is bullying behaviour. And I don't know if you've noticed, but there's been a lot of public discussion lately about the effects of bullying on civil society, how common it really is, and how crap we are at managing it.

I think it matters. It just doesn't make it any less bad and stupid.

shryke on