As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Thread 2. Yep, we're still at it.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Can we have a discussion about calories in alcohol?

I know they are 'empty calories' but what does that really mean I guess. I ask because usually once or twice a week I'll have a day where I go out and have some drinks. Last night over the course of a long evening I had about 7 drinks. I don't know where that really put me though in terms of calories. Before going out I was at 1500 for the day. So on my tack sheet i just added 1000 calories and called it even. When I fill in those days I just write my closest approximation and then put a couple question marks next to it.

Empty as in no nutritional value derived from consuming it. Even stuff like donuts have some protein and vitamins in it.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alcohol is even its own calorie group, totally apart from Carbs, Protein, and Fat. Which I've always found pretty interesting.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's called beer belly for a reason.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Right, right. But because it is a special type of calorie or whatever does that mean it is harder to burn?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Right, right. But because it is a special type of calorie or whatever does that mean it is harder to burn?

It has to go through more steps because the body has to do a shit ton of stuff to process it. At the final stage alcohol is converted into ketone bodies which if not utilized are converted into fat.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So are those calories in all alcoholic beverages (alcohol-dependant), or are they just normally found in beer because of the way beers are made? I always thought that going with liquor instead of beer was a slightly better choice, in terms of, I guess, pseudo-nutrition.

godmode on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Oh god, Pizza Hut buffet. Even though I ate little in advance, it's still the first time I have gone incredibly past my normal calorie limits. I felt physically bad a bit afterwards: overly full.

I guess one binging day in three months is not bad.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    godmode wrote: »
    So are those calories in all alcoholic beverages (alcohol-dependant), or are they just normally found in beer because of the way beers are made? I always thought that going with liquor instead of beer was a slightly better choice, in terms of, I guess, pseudo-nutrition.

Yes, those calories are in all alcohol.

As for liquor instead of beer, liquor can be a better choice if you're just mixing it with water. Beer, depending on the type of beer may have residual sugars from the mash used in the fermentation process (I'm looking at you lagers).

The thing that's nice about liquor is that it's generally just alcohol and water, and you can mix it with soda water and not incur any more calories.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Oh god, Pizza Hut buffet. Even though I ate little in advance, it's still the first time I have gone incredibly past my normal calorie limits. I felt physically bad a bit afterwards: overly full.

I beg to differ. If this was a classy buffet and not Pizza Gut Buffet I would agree.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like Coriya Hot Pot City for my buffet. Unlimited meat and veggies grilled or boiled as you see fit. Didn't set me back at all, though I didn't eat for like 30 hours before.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In addition, the following pros and cons for liquor:
    Pros
    Get drunk quicker (Don't need to consume as much, ergo less calories)
    Tastes better

Cons
    More expensive
    Doesn't ALWAYS taste better
    Really, though. Significantly more expensive in most cases.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    godmode wrote: »
    In addition, the following pros and cons for liquor:
    Pros
    Get drunk quicker (Don't need to consume as much, ergo less calories)
    Tastes better

Cons
    More expensive
    Doesn't ALWAYS taste better
    Really, though. Significantly more expensive in most cases.

The get drunk quicker thing is just because beyond myself and a few other people chugging beer just can't be done in the general population. I took 90 seconds to chug a 40 of OE once.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Additional Pro of liquor: Totally drinkable if you're doing low-carb.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I do liquor most of the time so that's good. I do mix them with juices though.

Last night I had like 2 beers, a cider, and multiple glasses of orange juice and vodka

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    Devil-BoyDevil-Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dracil wrote: »
    I like Coriya Hot Pot City for my buffet. Unlimited meat and veggies grilled or boiled as you see fit. Didn't set me back at all, though I didn't eat for like 30 hours before.

Hot pot is such good stuff. I made some last week and it came out to less than 500 calories, plus made me STUFFED. It's really only boiled vegetables and a small amount of meat. Never thought vegies could satisfy me so well, but the flavors just work so well together. I plan to eat it as much as possible from now on.

Devil-Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Additional Pro of liquor: Totally drinkable if you're doing low-carb.

But from reading low carb forums, alcohol will stall your weight loss and it is still empty calories.

Dracil on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i drink probably about once or twice a week and stick with vodka on the rocks or vodka/diet coke, i've been able to keep up with losing weight and all that stuff no problem. then again, on the other 5-6 days of the week i don't drink any booze, not even wine, and i've never been into beer. so eh. haha

retrovm on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I know how that feels. The day before yesterday, I was doing great. And then my mom made beef noodles for dinner and I ate quite a bit of those.

And then yesterday, it was another kind of noodles. I didn't eat a horrible amount either time really, but I still feel that maybe it pushed me up above or maybe right to my daily calorie limit.

Today, I was doing great, too. I ate cereal for breakfast. A big salad for lunch. Got home and ate a pork steak with a mountain of rice. I feel crappy about it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Today so far has been 3 eggs scrambled up with 4 fresh white mushrooms sauteed in butter and garlic (i will not give up my butter you will have to kill me first my cholesterol is fine). Topped with about 2tbsp shredded cheddar cheese.

A mug of NZ Breakfast tea with a splash of milk and some honey.

Lunch is going to be some chicken salad on a cream cracker (serving size is 3 crackers, i eat 2 cause they're huge).

Dinner is going to be taco mess that I cooked up yesterday. Ground beef, chili beans (red kidney beans, low sodium), sweet corn, brown rice. Mixed with some sour cream and more cheddar cheese and eaten with some avocado slices.

More tea for the rest of the day and water. And maybe a feijoa for snack.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »

It has to go through more steps because the body has to do a shit ton of stuff to process it. At the final stage alcohol is converted into ketone bodies which if not utilized are converted into fat.

Alcohol is also fairly calorie dense; a gram of alcohol would contains 7 calories (carbs and protein are 4, fat is 9). I remember seeing a nutritional label back before I knew alcohol was separate that had 55 calories, 0g carbs, protein and fat and thinking "Does it come from MAGIC?"

A duck! on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Honestly this has been a really off week for me. Even my other days I have been ever so slightly over. Going to have to work my ass off the rest of the week to make up for it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My scales seem to be acting strangely this week. Greater variances and the scale that usually shows a higher weight has been showing a lower weight sometimes.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Eatings so far today...

2 cups island vanilla shredded wheat from kashi w/ 1% milk
    1 carton of greek yogurt (clementine flavor)
    1 Morningstar Wing Sandwich (2 wings, lettuce, tomato, whole wheat pita pocket, teaspoon of fat free ranch)
    A salad with some of the extra wings and a tiny bit of the same dressing
    A bowl of tomato basil soup with a handful of oyster crackers

I think I'm at about 1800...maybe I'll just eat a handful of almonds later or something.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Damn, Tennis is a hell of a workout on the legs. Guessing it's all the side to side movement and backpedaling. My legs are more sore from playing yesterday than they are after a good run.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I played Badminton the other day and my legs killed afterward. I was like what the hell a month and a half of elliptical training did nothing to prepare me for actual sport. Go figure

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any movement that you're not used to will cause muscle soreness. Running and the elliptical are both fairly rigid in terms of range of motion. And after a while, your body figures out how to do those movements in an efficient way.

Whereas in tennis (and most sports played with a ball or similar object) you have to react to a wider range of stimulus. You won't move in the same direction every time because the ball doesn't come back across the net in the same way every time. There's far greater range of motion, and that extra range of motion naturally involves more muscles, especially your stabilizers which are smaller and weaker than your prime movers.

But fear not because your body will get used to the new things you're making it do, and after a few more times out you won't get sore anymore. At least until you try something new.

Halibut on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I played Badminton the other day and my legs killed afterward. I was like what the hell a month and a half of elliptical training did nothing to prepare me for actual sport. Go figure

It's funny to see it happen in weight training, as well. Get somebody with a decent squat and have them do a strong session of lunges for the first time and watch them stumble and curse their way through the next day.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A duck! wrote: »

It's funny to see it happen in weight training, as well. Get somebody with a decent squat and have them do a strong session of lunges for the first time and watch them stumble and curse their way through the next day.

It's true. That's why I am a glutton for punishment and do lunges after squats. So I can feel like an idiot.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You guys weren't kidding.

I'm basically up to running 3 miles a day (my max being 6 so far) but yesterday I could not even get a mile in. My legs were gone from the day before of tennis. Glad that I'm going to make this tennis thing a weekly thing.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tennis is awesome. I can't wait til the snow is gone and we can start playing again.

I'm pissed though. I have a heel spur or planar factitous (sp?) or something going on today and I don't wanna miss the gym because I skipped yesterday knowing I'd be working from home today and it's far more convenient to do it on my lunch break from home.

Yall on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i decided to not drink beer

until

my stomach is not in front of my chest

and i love beer

of course i've had a few whiskey sodas but i'm also just gonna drink less in general, and whiskey sodas are more expensive than beer so i'm even more likely to drink less

i am pretty sure, in addition to my lack of exercise for months after knee injury + some bad eating, my excessive frequency of drinking in the fall was a big contributor to weight gain

thus

i will drink way way way way less often

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Halibut wrote: »
    Any movement that you're not used to will cause muscle soreness. Running and the elliptical are both fairly rigid in terms of range of motion. And after a while, your body figures out how to do those movements in an efficient way.

Whereas in tennis (and most sports played with a ball or similar object) you have to react to a wider range of stimulus. You won't move in the same direction every time because the ball doesn't come back across the net in the same way every time. There's far greater range of motion, and that extra range of motion naturally involves more muscles, especially your stabilizers which are smaller and weaker than your prime movers.

But fear not because your body will get used to the new things you're making it do, and after a few more times out you won't get sore anymore. At least until you try something new.

snowboarding is prone to this too, because you're not doing that stuff in your daily life

and i took this entire season off of snowboarding because of my knee

so when i eventually go back that'll be something

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Knee/leg/feet injuries are the worst when you are trying to lose weight, or just stay fit.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yall wrote: »
    Knee/leg/feet injuries are the worst when you are trying to lose weight, or just stay fit.

yeah pretty much. really threw me off for a while, have been slowly getting back into it (though the injury lingers still).

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I do the stairmaster at the gym sometimes; I always feel really accomplished after working out on that machine for half an hour.

So, one day it snowed. As I could not make it to the gym, I decided to replicate the activity by going up and down the stairs at my apartment for about 45 minutes.

The next day I could not move my legs.

Going up the stairs works an entirely different group than going down the stairs. My going down the stairs muscles hurt all week. It was the worst.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i decided to not drink beer

until

my stomach is not in front of my chest

and i love beer

of course i've had a few whiskey sodas but i'm also just gonna drink less in general, and whiskey sodas are more expensive than beer so i'm even more likely to drink less

i am pretty sure, in addition to my lack of exercise for months after knee injury + some bad eating, my excessive frequency of drinking in the fall was a big contributor to weight gain

thus

i will drink way way way way less often

I cut down on drinking and saw an immediate impact, not only in feeling (no more heartburn) but also tolerance for alcohol. I limit myself to drinking on weekends and only after I've worked out for the day.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Halibut wrote: »

snowboarding is prone to this too, because you're not doing that stuff in your daily life

and i took this entire season off of snowboarding because of my knee

so when i eventually go back that'll be something

The worst part for me on my first snowboarding trip a month ago was...

Standing up. After doing that for like 3 hours cause I kept falling down made it really hard the next day to do it all over again. I didn't realize how weak my core, triceps, etc etc were until I was unable at 3 pm to properly push myself upright on my snowboard.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ugh...

How come I have the willpower not to buy bullshit food at the market, but when it gets left lying around, I can't seem to leave it alone?

Today was amazing. Until I got home and ate half a bag of chips. The fuck is wrong with me? Jesus.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have purchased a scale!!

I am at: 132kg.....291lbs....

ok, so i haven't lost weight, but at the same time i haven't gained much weight either. now that i have numbers to work with, it should become a bit easier. this was also in the middle of the day, right after lunch that i was weighing too, so who knows...

job fell through so now i get to walk around even more trying to find another job. Maybe I'll talk myself into trying climbing....

or talk my parents to buying us a crosstrainer.....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone else notice a pretty major increase in the size of their stomach after they eat? I feel like I shouldn't be seeing such a difference.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png