Options

[lock] Wire Boxset DVDs being selective about where they'll play

ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having an aggravating problem. I have the Wire boxset that was ordered from Amazon.com. I happen to have the following players in my house, with the following situations on these DVDs:

Laptop DVD drive - Played almost everything that it's had so far, including half of season 1, parts of 2 and 3. However, season 5 disc 1 was a nogo.
Xbox 360 S - Hadn't tried anything before season 5 disc 1. No good on episode 1. Episode 2+ seem to work.
Upstairs old crappy Samsung DVD - Has had issues with certain season 3 and 4 discs skipping throughout entire episodes about once every 10-15 seconds. Season 5 disc 1 is no good.
Roommate's newer Samsung DVD - A seemingly invincible player unperturbed by the issues of mortal players. No issues on any discs.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. If it's not horribly obvious Season 5 Disc 1 was the one that brought this issue to a head. When the crappy Samsung started having problems on Seasons 3/4 and they worked on my roommate's I assumed the player was getting ready to die (this sort of behavior was what signaled the end of a first-gen PS2 in one of my apartments). However that looks like it's not the case.

1. Is this a simple case of a borderline defective DVD set, where some discs are fine, some are fine in some players, and some are fine in only the strongest lucky players?
2. This came from Amazon Marketplace, and I've had it since mid January or so. Am I totally screwed?

subedii wrote: »
I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
Scrublet on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If this is the full 5 season box set, there are several 1 star reviews on amazon complaining about how the packaging is poorly designed and damages the discs.

Also, yeah some players are better about dealing with defects in discs than others.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If this is the full 5 season box set, there are several 1 star reviews on amazon complaining about how the packaging is poorly designed and damages the discs.

Also, yeah some players are better about dealing with defects in discs than others.

Those are accurate reviews. The packaging is cardboard slips that the discs are just sitting in. The slips are generally not closed on the opposite side from their "real" opening, and most of them open at the bottom or top too. The "solution" was to put the discs in little tiny plastic cover bags. It's truly appalling.

Edit: looks like the normal season sets are packaged in normal protective cases. For example, the bad reviews of Season 1 were one instance of bad discs and then a bunch of people complaining about the cursing or the show being boring. Compared to literally every single bad review of the series box set being the fucking packaging.

Edit 2: yea I'm pretty much screwed. Chalk this up to not thinking that reviews on a DVD set would need to include any information other than the content on the DVDs. Guess this can lock.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
This discussion has been closed.