As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Renewable Energy: How to power the world without burning dead things

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Plus, if we went to Thorium reactors, we could take decommissioned warheads and current nuclear waste and burn it all up or if we used a MSR we could use it for new thorium reactors.

I personally think it should be a combination of everything available:
    1) Review and change existing regulatory concerns over nuclear power. Nuclear should be close to the bottom based on safety, environmental damage, and longevity. Hell, more hazardous material is produced from coal plants than nuclear reactors (Coal ash is more radioactive and more people die from radiation poisoning from Coal than Nuclear).
    2) Restart thorium research (MSR, LFTR, etc..) to replace the brain loss in that sector. Thorium would be my long term goal for energy (not counting some miracle discovery).
    3) In the mean time, I'd be building the shit out of solar panels, Natural Gas, geothermal, hydro, whatever while new Generation IV thorium reactors where being built. That'd be my short-term plan. Build the shit out of renewable's to ease current energy loads/requirements on existing plants.

So for example: Say X-City will be building a Gen IV thorium nuclear plant to replace it's coal plant, and it is expected to take 25+ years to complete. During the construction of the new nuclear plant, build up renewables to the point where it could reduce the load requirements of the existing power plant(s), then once the nuke plants becomes active, switch it all around: make the nuclear power plant the primary source, renewable the secondary source, while killing off the other plant(s).

You might ask why not just go full solar/wind/geothermal? I personally see that form of energy generation as the means, not the end. We use solar/wind/whatever to get to nuclear, we use it to reduce overall loads on the nuke plant, but it's not the main source of energy generation because I still think it's unreliable for being your main source of energy. This belief may be wrong and if it is, I'm fully willing to change my stance on it.

I'd then put more money and brain power into research/testing/construction of energy amplifier's. At this time, I'd expect research on space elevators to be complete, so I suppose if you really really wanted to launch stuff at the sun, have at it?

Bonus: Because I'd want this nation wide, construction wise I'd put it under federal control, hire as many unemployed and willing workers to help with infrastructure upgrades and construction of the renewable plants.

But, because this is all wishing and I know would absolutely never happen, I am willing to take whatever the industry can put out to replace our current energy generation.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Solar, wind (birds can go suck it I need my electric heater, they better evolve quick) and geothermal will only ever be useful in limited areas with current technology. It will probably get cheaper but unless we start using a lot less energy per person it is not viable in many areas, even with batteries. That said, it can provide a significant amount of energy in some areas. Those areas with easily accessible renewable resources will no doubt be popular places to live, since energy costs may be a lot lower in the future.

In terms of transport fuel, some kind of hydrogen fuel that can be created from electricity and water + some kind of reusable transport chemical seems like the perfect solution, if it existed. Basically some way to change all that nuclear energy into car food is so needed to really solve these problems.

Hydroelectric energy can go to hell. And I say that as someone who gets his electricity and water from a hydroelectric dam. From everything I have read it destroys local ecosystems, the disasters are terrible and it hurts water supplies.

Reducing energy use (like reducing materials used and consumption) can help these problems in the short term as well and should be a focus for individuals to work on. Smartly buying products which use less energy and other resources both in the short and long term would be a good idea. Wish that information was easily available.
    ACSIS wrote: »

Seems nice, though the introduction kind of got me with a Dr. Evil feel.

"I will drain all the worlds oceans!"

I take it these are quite a while away from a working model?

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Given that we now have a project to drill to the Earth's mantle, I'd say the hydrothermal idea is actually like, super-plausible.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It makes use of hot water. If you like it heats water in a closed system, so it ain't draining anything.

Of course it can be used as a mining system also, in wich case it "drains" water and minerals from it. Its not like the water is consumed or anything.

Its just driving steam turbines. Very similar to nuclear powerplants except that the power source is not nuclear but instead readily aviable natural geothermal energy.

You can also heat your water with nuclear fuel instead, if you like. Of course you have to get nuclear fuel on a constant basis then and also consider how the waste is handled and, as recent events showed there are some security considerations, but if you like it better that way - hey, who am i to judge?

Personally all applications of nuclear technology seem to me as somebody trying to cut butter with a chainsaw. I have to admit it works, tho. Absolutely.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I rarely see people talking about the mining of uranium when it comes to nuclear power.

People I talk to may oppose nuclear power because of the risk of meltdowns and whatnot, to which I reply that the worst case scenarios they think about are physically impossible with modern technology.

But I do wonder about the harvesting of uranium, it seems like that part would not exactly be a clean deal.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The relatively smaller quantities of uranium and thorium required mean that while it's as shitty as mining always is it's less of a problem than coal etc

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does mining HAVE to be really dirty or is it just too expensive to make minimal environmental impact?

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well we can mine uranium from the sea, but yea thorium and breeder reactors eliminate the need almost entirely if we can get on that

override367 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mining is pretty much always dirty. You're breaking up rock containing bad stuff in order to bring smaller pieces of it with you.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sea mining of uranium involves no dirt or breaking up of stuff

It's also like, not quite viable yet, needs more work. My point is there are so many possibilities for nuclear, it's really one of the most exciting energy technologies because there are so many potential winners out there for it, and then Fukushima happens and everyone's like "Welp, we better go back to sucking down coal fumes"

override367 on
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of energy crisis is anyone else playing fate of the world?

Excellent game on the subject.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Speaking of energy crisis is anyone else playing fate of the world?

Excellent game on the subject.

I had a thread in G&T but its dropped to page 5 by now. Good game though.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was under the impression that both the mining and the refining of fission fuels is a pretty dirty job, though I'm not sure how it relates to coal. Coal you need loads of, but it's available in near pure form. Uranium is at best like 0.1% ?

A lot of harsh chemical treatment is involved into extracting that low percentage. from memory making Uraniumhexafluoride out of it. Now I assume that most of that is done in a safe-ish manner (But if a poorer country does it, you can't really be sure). But it's still an enviromental pressure.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I was under the impression that both the mining and the refining of fission fuels is a pretty dirty job, though I'm not sure how it relates to coal. Coal you need loads of, but it's available in near pure form. Uranium is at best like 0.1% ?

A lot of harsh chemical treatment is involved into extracting that low percentage. from memory making Uraniumhexafluoride out of it. Now I assume that most of that is done in a safe-ish manner (But if a poorer country does it, you can't really be sure). But it's still an enviromental pressure.

It's not really that dangerous. Uranium hexafluoride is nasty stuff, but the by products are just hydrofluoric acid - which is itself, super-dangerous to work with, but used all the time in the semiconductor industry and can be disposed of easily by neutralizing it with sodium bicarb or some other base (or better - recycled).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm probably just wary after hearing about how illegal aluminunium mining is done in Suriname.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It makes use of hot water. If you like it heats water in a closed system, so it ain't draining anything.

Of course it can be used as a mining system also, in wich case it "drains" water and minerals from it. Its not like the water is consumed or anything.

Its just driving steam turbines. Very similar to nuclear powerplants except that the power source is not nuclear but instead readily aviable natural geothermal energy.

You can also heat your water with nuclear fuel instead, if you like. Of course you have to get nuclear fuel on a constant basis then and also consider how the waste is handled and, as recent events showed there are some security considerations, but if you like it better that way - hey, who am i to judge?

Personally all applications of nuclear technology seem to me as somebody trying to cut butter with a chainsaw. I have to admit it works, tho. Absolutely.

One of my environmental sciences teacher was concerned that geothermal could wick enough heat away from the Earth's interior to cause problems down the road.

She was insane, but I think it's an attitude that is too prevalent among environmentalists. Any technology that is not solar or wind is too harmful to the environment and we shouldn't use them. Ugh...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

One of my environmental sciences teacher was concerned that geothermal could wick enough heat away from the Earth's interior to cause problems down the road.

She was insane, but I think it's an attitude that is too prevalent among environmentalists. Any technology that is not solar or wind is too harmful to the environment and we shouldn't use them. Ugh...

Couple years back I was reading about some looney-toon environmentalist complaining about tidal power. Not because it would hurt the ecosystem, or kill fish in turbine blades or what you'd normally think. Oh no. This one was convinced that tidal power stations would "deprive future generations of the Moon's gravitational resources" and given enough time, might actually pull the Moon out of its orbit.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Even wind power though, I've heard people complain that it kills a lot of birds.

Which probably isn't very true at all.

Honk on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm reasonably sure the bird- (and bat) killing thing has been mostly dismissed, at least with regard to the number of avian fatalities involved. Specifics probably depend on the type of bird, though.

The big blocks against wind energy seem to be 1) reduction in view/property value and 2) noise. Noise doesn't seem like it should be a huge deal assuming you aren't building turbines in densely populated areas or right on top of residences, and I could give a fuck about some dude's ocean view.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hippies are directly responsible for global warming by shooting nuclear in the foot, I can't ever forgive the environmentalist movement for that and they don't seemed to have even learned the lesson.

It sucks that we need them

override367 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hippies are also the main reason in making nuclear energy even remotely dangerous, here in Sweden.

They break into nuclear plants and attempt sabotage, they also forcibly tried to board a ship carrying nuclear waste which was headed for processing in England.

But it's okay though because I guess they are trying to prove something.

Honk on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Even wind power though, I've heard people complain that it kills a lot of birds.

Actually it does. There are a couple of places in the UK where windfarms are threatening marginal populations of certain species. The same can be said of overhead power lines and pylons, though.

The crux of the problem is that once birds, and especially predatory birds, are flying higher than the tree canopy, the don't look in the direction that they're flying, they look at the ground.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Aha, weird.

That's pretty sad. :(

Honk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Entirely false actually.

Basically, original wind turbines did kill some birds because they spun very fast and the blades were hard to see. So they redesigned the blades and turbines so that birds could avoid them, which had the side-effect of making the turbines more efficient as well.

A giant modern field of wind turbines, studies say, might kill 1 bird every 100 years or so.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hippies are also the main reason in making nuclear energy even remotely dangerous, here in Sweden.

They break into nuclear plants and attempt sabotage, they also forcibly tried to board a ship carrying nuclear waste which was headed for processing in England.

But it's okay though because I guess they are trying to prove something.
    Don't forget that in the US they are the chief reason we don't have modern plants, but instead have shitty non-passively safe reactors.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like that dangerous plants these days are still only dangerous (and not even that deadly, just dangerous) if the earth itself splits apart and throws a tsunami that kills 10,000 people at it

It's kind of like saying, "well your prison is only mostly escape proof, if a plane with 400 people on it crashes into it and causes severe damage then a few prisoners could escape, so your prison isn't really safe"

override367 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Same here basically, or rather a split public opinion.

The end result is that we will keep using nuclear power forever, because there isn't a popular base to remove it. But at the same time we can't upgrade the plants, because it would seem like we put too much confidence into nuclear power.

If we lived in the real world people would look and see that we get slightly below half our energy from nuclear power, realise that it's replaceable by nothing, and spend more money on making it more effecient.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    When gas hits $10 a gallon and the US starts liquefying its coal to such an extent that coal power goes beyond nuclear in price, it will become viable real quick

override367 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If we switched most of our power to nuclear, how long would the planet's fissionable material stocks hold out?

jothki on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The obvious answer is to engineer a living thing that can be burned, and thus regrow once it's spent.

Sure its life will be eternal agony, but that's the cost we have to pay for power.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    30,000 years on uranium. Thorium will help extend that if we need to (by a large amount I'm too lazy to put research to get a number for). So will using seawater (that's another 60,000)

edit: assuming that we switch entirely to nuclear and that the world's power requirements grow by an order of magnitude we should still have enough to run on current tech (ie: no thorium) for a millennium. Somehow I think we'll have a better source of power within 500 years, so ... yeah.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    200 years at present rate it says.

30,000 years was with some special reactor that I assume is not in use right now.

Honk on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

30,000 years was with some special reactor that I assume is not in use right now.

200 years is with no reprocessing and current rates of power consumption growth.

30,000 years is if we use the reprocessing technology which is perfectly safe and was mastered in the 60s and 70s.

Anyone who tells you we have a uranium shortage is an idiot. Current non breeder reactors only use about 1% of the energy in the fuel, that's why the waste is pretty radioactive and hot. Because it's not waste, it's just fuel we aren't allowed to use.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    The obvious answer is to engineer a living thing that can be burned, and thus regrow once it's spent.

Sure its life will be eternal agony, but that's the cost we have to pay for power.

That's supposed to be the point of ethanol.

jothki on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hanskey wrote: »
    I agree with you on the Fukishima disaster's scale, but what about the spent fuel problem? How can we guarantee safety over 10s of thousands of years, when we can't even guarantee that the U.S. will exist?

Edit: I'm of the opinion that we humans don't do that kind of long-term planning all that well, so I do find that worrying, though not in an immediate sense.

The 10s of thousands of years number is a total red herring. That's the amount of time for the fuel to be no more radioactive than the average rock surrounding it. However, the waste is made out of stuff that was radioactive when you dug it up. It's only ~100 years before it is no more radioactive than it was to start with. So 100 years is the real number which should be considered. Unless you think we should dig up natural uranium deposits and start containing them whether we use nuclear power or not.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    tbloxham wrote: »
    hanskey wrote: »
    I agree with you on the Fukishima disaster's scale, but what about the spent fuel problem? How can we guarantee safety over 10s of thousands of years, when we can't even guarantee that the U.S. will exist?

Edit: I'm of the opinion that we humans don't do that kind of long-term planning all that well, so I do find that worrying, though not in an immediate sense.

The 10s of thousands of years number is a total red herring. That's the amount of time for the fuel to be no more radioactive than the average rock surrounding it. However, the waste is made out of stuff that was radioactive when you dug it up. It's only ~100 years before it is no more radioactive than it was to start with. So 100 years is the real number which should be considered. Unless you think we should dig up natural uranium deposits and start containing them whether we use nuclear power or not.

Of course, the stuff we started with was widely dispersed underground while the stuff we get is bricks of radioactivity laying around on the surface, so it makes sense to compare with available storage spaces.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's pretty interesting, though I never thought there was a shortage of uranium myself.

Honk on
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tbloxham wrote: »

200 years is with no reprocessing and current rates of power consumption growth.

30,000 years is if we use the reprocessing technology which is perfectly safe and was mastered in the 60s and 70s.
    Actually, its earlier than that:
    The first successful solvent extraction process for the recovery of pure uranium and plutonium was developed at ORNL in 1949. The PUREX process is the current method of extraction.
    -wikipedia
    We've been reprocessing this shit for more than 60 years.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pata wrote: »

Catholics? The British burned them hundreds of years ago!

Caveman Paws on