As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oscar list for animated movies.

A Cat in Paris
    Chico and Rita
    Kung Fu Panda 2
    Puss in Boots
    Rango

I'm not surprised Cars 2 isn't there, but no Tintin makes me raise an eyebrow.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    MrDapper wrote:
    Oscar list for animated movies.

A Cat in Paris
    Chico and Rita
    Kung Fu Panda 2
    Puss in Boots
    Rango

I'm not surprised Cars 2 isn't there, but no Tintin makes me raise an eyebrow.

I think they have rules about how much motion capture a movie can have.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wow, I haven't heard of the first two at all.

This is pretty much the first time since the list existed that a Pixar movie didn't at least get a nomination, right? That's gotta hurt losing out to two lame Dreamworks things.

I'd say Rango's a shoe-in, unless there's a weird groundswell of support for the first two (which I doubt).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I can't decide between Rango and KFP2, I enjoyed them both greatly. I guess KFP2 is slightly more flawed (I didn't like how they 'ruined' a couple of great scenes with some cheap throwaway joke) but I loved the movie anyway. Haven't seen Chico and Rita, but it looks artsy and ranks pretty high on RT. I don't know, it might have an outsider chance for the Oscar? A Cat in Paris is just a weird choice.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I haven't seen either of the first two, but I loved me some Rango so I hope it wins.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
  • Options
    It's kind of a shame to admit I'm not surprised Cars 2 is on the list. It wasn't very good, not even in a "doesn't stand up to other Pixar films" way. In any case, I'm supporting Rango.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Rango and Kung Fu Panda 2 are both great movies. They're also similar in how they play straight with their genres. Rango is a Western as much or more than it is a cartoon about talking animals. The same is true with Kung Fu Panda and Chinese martial arts movies.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I can't decide between Rango and KFP2, I enjoyed them both greatly. I guess KFP2 is slightly more flawed (I didn't like how they 'ruined' a couple of great scenes with some cheap throwaway joke) but I loved the movie anyway.
    Similar boat, just the other way around- I guess Rango got slightly overhyped for me. As much as I enjoyed it, I was disappointed at how by-the-numbers the story was (and I'm generally very good at silencing my inner nitpicker for the sake of immersion).
    Even with that said, I was talking to a friend who works at a theater over here and she said Rango got abysmal sales. Which is a crime, because it's a great Western, even with the problems I had with it.

Glal on
  • Options
    Rango ended up having over $100 million dollars so don't cry for it. The story was not Rango's strong suit it was more the character and set design that really clinched it for me. I'm glad Kung Fu Panda got a nomination though, it deserves it.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Glad it got better sales outside the cold UK North then, would have been a crying shame otherwise.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I really should get around to seeing KFP2. The fight scenes in the first were phenomenal.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    While I am not going to say it deserved to win, as it was certainly not that good, I do argue that Cars 2 was not nearly as bad as most people said it was. In fact, I thought it was rather enjoyable, if taken lightly. I mean, sure, it is the fast food to Pixar's usual gourmet, but sometimes you are in the mood for some chicken nuggets and a one dollar ice cream cone.

For the first time since the award was created, I haven't seen a single one of the nominated animated films. It is bizarre. I feel like a poor animation fan.

EDIT: Really perturbed that Winnie the Pooh wasn't nominated.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    TDawg wrote:
    EDIT: Really perturbed that Winnie the Pooh wasn't nominated.

Oh shit, you're right. That was a damn charming flick.

• Options
    Just saw the trailers for the two mystery movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7e07c52VWg

Ugh. Not well animated at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTWxB9hRjwI

Better, I guess. Looks to be a combination love letter to jazz and commentary on the communist takeover of Cuba. In other words, Oscar-bait.

I'm all for non-Hollywood animated movies to be recognized -- I'm a sucker for The Triplets of Bellville and The Secret of Kells, for instance -- but unless I'm missing something obvious these two look to have gotten in mainly because they're foreign and indie.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Those films both look very good. They aren't animated in traditional Hollywood styles, but I like the looks of both of them.

I can't put my finger on it, but the French animation looks like it's a callback to something. I've seen that exact style before, somewhere.

• Options
    I dig A Cat in Paris, the style is pretty unique for a full length picture and I like the hand-shaded like lighting.
    Chico just turns me off with the terrible CG backgrounds some scenes have. I'd hoped we left those behind 10 years ago.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Whoops, wrong thread.

I like Gargoyles. Except the third series.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Those films both look very good. They aren't animated in traditional Hollywood styles, but I like the looks of both of them.

I can't put my finger on it, but the French animation looks like it's a callback to something. I've seen that exact style before, somewhere.

Reminds me of the Men in Black and Jumanji cartoons.

• Options
    Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise is out today if you like comics based on cartoons.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Agreed, both of the international indie baiters do look good. Chico and Rita moreso, but A Cat In Paris seems like its style might be able to carry any weight the plot cannot.

I am rather excited for this turn of events, actually, because it means now I have more incentive to watch Kung Fu Panda 2 and Rango, films I probably never could have gotten anyone to see with me before. Now I just need time.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Anyone watching Unsupervised?

I'm not sure if it's good...but the main characters are actually likeable enough that they keep me watching. It's a nice change.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Transformers Prime returns in February.

So excited

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Transformers Prime returns in February.

So excited

Nice. I'm hoping for more Wheeljack, and the introductions of Prowl, and Skywarp. Doubt the latter will happen, but a man can dream.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that I would be giddy over the Animated Starscream clones, just for a light-hearted episode, but they all eat it but Skywarp by the end? And then Skywarp acts like his normal self?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh Wakfu. <3

• Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    So has anybody been following the Looney Tunes Show? It just came back with new episodes and last week's episode with Bugs trying to install a shelf was hilarious. Actually, pretty much any episode with Lola in it is hilarious. I love her voice and dialogue.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I still boggles my mind that no one has picked up Wakfu for U.S

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Kyougu wrote:

Risque humor and imagery, different pacing with a bunch of stand-alone episodes and slower patches, the main narrative crops up here and there so you can't have reruns at leisure. It is a very European show. We'll see how the MMO catches on in English-speaking regions.

Absalon on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What exactly was the moral message in the latest Friendship is Magic episode?

The Flim Flam Brothers were competing just fine at first. They were producing a quality product with only minimal effort, whereas the manual labor team was killing itself through hard work. Sure, the quality dropped when Twilight Sparkle and the rest of the gang got involved, but with some preparation the Flim Flam brothers could have built another machine and still come ahead in terms of production costs.

Given the farm's precarious financial position, I doubt Sweet Apple Acres could afford to hire extra labor during apple cider season, which means just proves the superiority of mechanization. Where the farm had an advantage was their ownership of the fields and the fact that they grew quality apples. They put a lot of effort into growing these apples, and I'm surprised that they would sacrifice an entire field just to prove a point, especially since they were convinced the cider produced from said field would be sewage.

So, I think the writers missed the point when they pitted manual labor against mechanization. Their argument doesn't work when the product doesn't require craftsmanship, like with furniture or musical instruments.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote:

I am furious about not being able to find subtitles for it anywhere.

It's like France hates me for dropping their language.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote:

The Flim Flam Brothers were competing just fine at first. They were producing a quality product with only minimal effort, whereas the manual labor team was killing itself through hard work. Sure, the quality dropped when Twilight Sparkle and the rest of the gang got involved, but with some preparation the Flim Flam brothers could have built another machine and still come ahead in terms of production costs.

Given the farm's precarious financial position, I doubt Sweet Apple Acres could afford to hire extra labor during apple cider season, which means just proves the superiority of mechanization. Where the farm had an advantage was their ownership of the fields and the fact that they grew quality apples. They put a lot of effort into growing these apples, and I'm surprised that they would sacrifice an entire field just to prove a point, especially since they were convinced the cider produced from said field would be sewage.

So, I think the writers missed the point when they pitted manual labor against mechanization. Their argument doesn't work when the product doesn't require craftsmanship, like with furniture or musical instruments.

It was reaffirming lessons Applejack had learned previously, trusting in her family and friends to help her out. Plus there's the whole quality > quantity thing, when the Flim Flam Brothers turned the machine on super fast mode, the quality took a nose dive and they ended up having to skip town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qam1fbQmA_s

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

I am furious about not being able to find subtitles for it anywhere.

It's like France hates me for dropping their language.

Episodes with English subs can be found.

*cough*

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote:

There wasn't one! Didn't you listen to Applejack's letter?

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TeaSpoon wrote:

That you can still have a fun episode when the plot makes almost literally no sense? Seriously, I liked the episode, but we're talking Star Trek (2009) levels of incoherence here. The Apple family explicitly said they valued quality over speed, then like a minute later agreed to a contest of... speed. Why? Something like a taste test would have made more sense. The question of how good the Flim-Flam Brothers' cider actually was was basically ignored until the end, after they started making it with sticks and dirt and the point was moot. Granny's reaction after taking a sip seemed to indicate it wasn't bad, but it was somewhat hard to read. The Apples never even tried negotiating the Brother's ridiculous proposed 75/25 profit split, even though they seemed to have a near-monopoly on the local supply of apples. Given that the same ponies seemed to be coming back even after getting cider the previous day, the restricted supply was obviously leaving money on the table and disappointing customers. If the [insert alliteration] 6000's cider was actually up to Apple family standards (and remember, there's no indication that it wasn't with the quality control on), they'd be making far more money if they continued selling their own cider each day and then let the brothers fill the excess need, with a reasonable profit split. I'm assuming the fresh-squeezed aspect is important and stockpiling isn't an option, otherwise the limited supply on the first day makes even less sense.

(That is far more than I ever thought I'd write about magical pony-land economics. I hate you, Internet.)

On the plus side, that Flim/Flam song's been running through my head for the past day, I liked that Twilight's organizational skills and probably Pinkie Pie's precognition got put to use again, frustrated Rainbow Dash was hilarious and kind of adorable, and the muddled lesson wasn't really much worse than in "Feeling Pinkie Keen", which was fun despite Twilight ignoring statistical evidence.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    Wakfu the game is being released in North America Feb. 29, so that makes a North American release for the show slightly more possible.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Watched Thief and the Cobbler again this past weekend.

Still an amazing film. My room mate couldn't believe that it was all hand drawn.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:
    Watched Thief and the Cobbler again this past weekend.

Still an amazing film. My room mate couldn't believe that it was all hand drawn.

Thing is, that's the bastardized version. Go to Youtube and watch "the recobbled cut."

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Checked again...really surprised this hasn't popped up here yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Otaq2tmNMM

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.