As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chris Jericho: Best in The World At What He Does [Wrestling]

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Sorry to burst your bubble Preacher:
    WWE.com ran a story this afternoon, quoting Dr. Michael Sampson of their medical staff on Randy Orton's back issues. Sampson stated that Orton suffered a herniated disc around his L-4/L-5 level on the left side of his back, which has led to pain and weakness shooting down to his legs.
    Sampson stated Orton was going to need to rehabilitate his back as well as undergo physical therapy. Orton was prescribed anti-inflammatory medication to reduce the pain.

WWE's story stated that the injury could keep Orton out for "a few weeks", which probably means they are aiming for a Royal Rumble return.

As I wrote yesterday, stories attributed to PWInsider.com that Orton would be out six months were a boldface fabricated lie published by other outlets. Wade Barrett actually referenced the fake story while doing mic work in Detroit last night, claiming he had put Orton out of action for up to six months with the match that will air tomorrow on Smackdown.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wait one moment going to get in my black lincoln and make my way to the arena...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Seriously though I'm glad Orton's back issues aren't too serious. I wouldn't wish horrid back pain on anyone.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    "Go ahead Randy borrow my car, make sure to drive really fast on the Ice though, Brett recommended this route from his WCW days."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    That's not so bad then.

About the Rumble, I was assuming Orton was most likely to win, but now I'm thinking they'll go with Big Show.

I'd love to see someone like Dolph win, but with CM Punk and Daniel Bryan getting their shot recently, I'm not confident in the likelihood of Vince and Co wanting to push more young talent.

Apparently Big Show is going to be in another celebrity match, this time with Shaq. And Jericho will face Punk, so no-one on the Raw roster has a chance of winning (including Ziggler).

As much as it disappoints me, I can't see Daniel Bryan holding the belt till Mania. Orton's a shoe-in for the World title match at Mania, so he'll either go into it by winning the Rumble or as champion. The only chance Bryan's got is if they make the World Title match at Mania a triple threat or fatal four way. Which would probably be a good idea anyway, because they've still got to squeeze in a lot of other upper card/upper mid card wrestlers into the show and I doubt they'll all fit into the MITB match.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    So Bobby Lashley said he's open to returning to WWE in a recent interview but also says he'll be content if he never comes back and focuses on his MMA career.

Personally I'd like to see him get another shot in WWE. Yes he was pretty much a poor-mans Lesnar but he had a fantastic match with Cena right before he left.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I like Orton theoretically. He makes a good bad guy and plays a pretty good sociopath. Face Orton tends to be pretty boring for me. Not sure why.

because what the heck does a 'face' sociopath even do?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Ask people if they like pancakes.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    I like Orton theoretically. He makes a good bad guy and plays a pretty good sociopath. Face Orton tends to be pretty boring for me. Not sure why.

because what the heck does a 'face' sociopath even do?

The best description I've read of the difference between Heel & Face Orton is that Face Orton hasn't DDTed anyone's wife in a couple months.

• FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    That is the best description.

I think Face Orton is trying not to flip out and murder people, which is sort of funny, because I'm pretty sure Face Orton's fans all want him to flip out and murder people. It's like, who is Face Orton kidding? You're a psycho. Just go murder people. The fans don't mind. The fans got your back.

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Personally I'd like to see him get another shot in WWE. Yes he was pretty much a poor-mans Lesnar but he had a fantastic match with Cena right before he left.

That Cena/Lashley match really was pretty good.

I remember thinking that Cena would lose. That was huge because he was coming up on his one year reign as champ and Lashley seemed like the only real threat for over an entire year (Edge, Umaga, HBK, Khali, etc.).

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I was personally EXTREMELY disappointed that they took the belt off of Mark Henry at TLC. I thought he was having a great run as a monster heel champ, and would have liked to have seen him hold the belt until WM, where Daniel Bryan could have finally beaten him, giving him a Hogan/Andre moment, and making him a legit main eventer. My real ideal (which would never happen) would have been for Mark Henry to have assaulted Daniel Bryan and forced him to cash in the money in the bank contract (i.e., he could have threatened to break his leg unless he cashed in) and then for Mark to pin him. Then an injured Daniel Bryan would resurface at the rumble and win the match, going on to face and beat Mark Henry at WM.

I also literally cannot understand how Jerry Lawler remains employed as a commentator. He was never any good as a wrestler or commentator, and I think its pretty clear that he gave up on even trying at some point last year. He has zero rapport with any of the current commentators, his jokes are stale and not relevant, and his steadfast refusal to acknowledge realities like the anti-Cena chants just makes him seem out of touch and irrelevant. He has also always had heat backstage (does anyone other than vince actually like him?) but somehow, he always sticks around, even while people respect him so little that they use his idiotic crown as a toilet in the dressing room. . .

I was personally EXTREMELY disappointed that they took the belt off of Mark Henry at TLC. I thought he was having a great run as a monster heel champ, and would have liked to have seen him hold the belt until WM, where Daniel Bryan could have finally beaten him, giving him a Hogan/Andre moment, and making him a legit main eventer. My real ideal (which would never happen) would have been for Mark Henry to have assaulted Daniel Bryan and forced him to cash in the money in the bank contract (i.e., he could have threatened to break his leg unless he cashed in) and then for Mark to pin him. Then an injured Daniel Bryan would resurface at the rumble and win the match, going on to face and beat Mark Henry at WM.

I also literally cannot understand how Jerry Lawler remains employed as a commentator. He was never any good as a wrestler or commentator, and I think its pretty clear that he gave up on even trying at some point last year. He has zero rapport with any of the current commentators, his jokes are stale and not relevant, and his steadfast refusal to acknowledge realities like the anti-Cena chants just makes him seem out of touch and irrelevant. He has also always had heat backstage (does anyone other than vince actually like him?) but somehow, he always sticks around, even while people respect him so little that they use his idiotic crown as a toilet in the dressing room. . .

The main reason they took the title off Henry was due to his injury that's he's currently sort of working through.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    He was never any good as a wrestler. . .

You. . .are insane. Lawler's quality has gone down as a commentator because he is being forced into a role that he isn't particularly good at - face commentator. His heel commentary with Jim Ross was beyond excellent. What folks don't realize is the commentators call what VINCE wants them to call; if Vince doesn't want Lawler acknowledging the jeers, he doesn't focus on the jeers. Just the way it goes.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So, Lesnar comeback at the Rumble. Biggest thing in years or biggerest thing in years?

cu4c1c5yy0xr.png
    David_T wrote:
    So, Lesnar comeback at the Rumble. Biggest thing in years or biggerest thing in years?

Even if he wanted to come back full time the major surgury he's had would prevent him from doing so. I fully expect to see him wrestle at the big events though, maybe twice a year.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Well, there's full time and then there's TV full time. I don't know exactly the extent of his surgery or how it affects him now, but two or three matches a month and then doing promos and skits on TV? Couldn't he swing that?

cu4c1c5yy0xr.png
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    Lesnar has gone on record as saying that he hated the travel in WWE, he won't be back full time. Only for a big pay check, which is fine on some levels.

6rceun58332p.png
    Brock/Cena, Brock/Punk, and Brock/Taker would all be huge and they don't need to involve Lesnar coming back full time.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Would not be surprised to see him in the rumble.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    QuickSnap wrote:
    Lesnar has gone on record as saying that he hated the travel in WWE, he won't be back full time. Only for a big pay check, which is fine on some levels.

Yeah, I still think he'll be back though. Vince will throw a ton of money at him to work a greatly reduced schedule. A couple of Wrestlemanias, a surprise entrance at Royal Rumble, and maybe a Summerslam or 2 is all they need him to do.

• QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    QuickSnap wrote:

Yeah, I still think he'll be back though. Vince will throw a ton of money at him to work a greatly reduced schedule. A couple of Wrestlemanias, a surprise entrance at Royal Rumble, and maybe a Summerslam or 2 is all they need him to do.

I'm not saying that he won't be back, or even that it wouldn't be good for business. I'm saying he won't be back for anything other that what you described.

6rceun58332p.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it would be fun for lesnar to come back, but it seems like it would be kind of kayfabe-stretching to me

would he even be allowed to do it under his UFC deal? I know they're pretty restrictive about actual mma bouts under other promotions

NREqxl5.jpg
    and yeah, lawler was a better heel commentator and cole was a better face commentator, so I'm not sure why they had them switch

lawler is merely boring doing the face side and cole is maddening

NREqxl5.jpg
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    it would be fun for lesnar to come back, but it seems like it would be kind of kayfabe-stretching to me

would he even be allowed to do it under his UFC deal? I know they're pretty restrictive about actual mma bouts under other promotions

He apparently retired after losing to Overeem. I think he realized he couldn't come back to competitive fighting after his surgery.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ED! wrote:
    He was never any good as a wrestler. . .

You. . .are insane. Lawler's quality has gone down as a commentator because he is being forced into a role that he isn't particularly good at - face commentator. His heel commentary with Jim Ross was beyond excellent. What folks don't realize is the commentators call what VINCE wants them to call; if Vince doesn't want Lawler acknowledging the jeers, he doesn't focus on the jeers. Just the way it goes.

Beyond excellent? He ruined an entire era of matches by yelling "puppies." He was an awful wrestler from the start imo (but I never liked the southern wrasslin' style, and could never stand the Honky Tonk man either) and I literally can't think of a single time where I enjoyed his commentary, or his stupid in ring hosting during the attitude era.

and yeah, lawler was a better heel commentator and cole was a better face commentator, so I'm not sure why they had them switch

lawler is merely boring doing the face side and cole is maddening

I actually hated Michael Cole until his heel turn. I think that if you take the horrible noncommentary portions of Cole's heel turn out of the equation, his actual commentary (especially when he calls out mistakes made by other commentators) has just been excellent since the heel turn. I also think that him and Booker T have an excellent rapport.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yeah it's really just bias against the Memphis style clouding the matter here I think. Lawler was a solid wrestler in his day and was involved in some pretty heated and well crafted matches. There were much better workers around, but he did the best with what he had and crafted a good run and built a pretty successful territory around himself. He was far from the best, but to call him awful is I think selling even him short.

As for his commentary? He's been awful for so long now that I can barely remember when he wasn't. I KNOW there was a time when his commentary was great I just can't bring to mind a single instance of it since he's spoiled all the good will with constant screaming of cheap sexual innuendo and misogyny. Of course the same could be said of Jim Ross. I know there was a time when he was great, just can't pick any of it out from amongst all the obnoxious catch phrase screaming and Stone Cold fellation from the "Attitude Era".

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Tonight, I was actually rooting for Drew McIntyre to win his match... what can I say? I sort of like the guy, even if he's not been used very well.

With that said, though, the end of his match was surreal, with Cole pointing out that Jackson had the tights, and Booker T saying that a win is a win, and you do what you've got to do. I felt like I was watching Bizarro World Wrestling Entertainment...

Also, regarding Cole, he and Tazz were calling Bradshaw's debut match as JBL on Vintage Collection, and... well, he was still a little snide towards Tazz's goofs and the like, but infinitely more tolerable. I miss that Cole.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011

They took the title off of Henry because he was injured. Jerry Lawler has held something like 150 belts over his career and will go down in history as one of the best performers of his generation.

Kreutz on
    edited December 2011
    Yeah but 148 of those titles came in companies that he was booking at the time.

Dyvim Tvar on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote:
    Yeah but 148 of those titles came in companies that he was booking at the time.

Details, details. Lawler still has at least 150 more titles than Mr. Wrong Opinion up there, unless his mom picked one up at Kmart. :)

Lawler has stayed over in Memphis since the EARLY 1970'S. He's doing something right, and it's not like he's always been booked to win either.

Plenty of people have had long, successful careers without being good in the ring or without being good on the mic. Lawler is one of the few who has somehow managed to be successful without being good at either. I would also put JBL, Jeff Jarrett, and Edge in that category. These are the people who used to make me flip to the other show during the Monday Night wars or hit the fast forward button. All my opinions, of course, but I really don't understand how anyone who care about in ring performance quality or mic skills could like Lawler at all.

Now that begs the question of how much of Lawler in his "prime" you've seen and how much of this is based on whatever work he's done in Stamford?
    I'm not saying it's impossible to dislike the guy if you've seen what is considered his best work (far from it), I'm just genuinely curious.

Lawler's early WWF/E career was pretty great as well. It wasn't until late 1998 that he developed his whole "Puppies!" persona.

I was just a casual fan during the 80's and early 90's, so I saw some but not all of his stuff. I never saw anything he did outside of the WWF. I did not buy his in ring work with Bret though, for what its worth. But I may just not like his style or personality, and like the other wrestlers I listed as having poor in ring and mic skills, this is of course all subjective.

Right now I have no doubt that there are people who enjoy Jindar Mahal's matches, but I wouldn't even know if they are good because I ff them (even if he is wrestling someone I like, like Sheamus). I also don't watch the Divas (outside of live events, I have not watched a Diva's match since the early 2000's).

No. Don't ever say that. Just don't even joke about that. Nobody can like Jinder Mahal, I refuse to even entertain the notion.
    I might just be bitter that the guy is taking up a spot on the Smackdown roster that could be filled by Trent Baretta though--of course I say that about everybody on Smackdown except Cody.

Speaking of really shitty Indian wrestlers. I would like to present everybody with Raja Lion. I don't know he's made an appearance in these threads before, but if he hasn't then it would be criminal for it not to happen eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3LTdGxZdw

Wow. Just wow. I did not think there could be a worse big man than Khali, but two of them from the same subcontinent? Just incredible.

Tiger Jeet Singh just completes the level of awful for that whole video.

For those who don't know Singh just picture a horrible wrestler and (if you believe most accounts of those who've been around him) a horrible human being.