As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chris Jericho: Best in The World At What He Does [Wrestling]

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Tiger Jeet Singh is so very terrible. His son was possibly even worse as well.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR7GiYJATgw

That's the most recent Singh match I can find and yes I know Bob Sapp isn't exactly the type of guy to get a good match out of someone but still. I will say Singh has hardly aged a day in his whole career, which is impressive since he's been in wrestling since the 1970s.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote:
    ...I know Bob Sapp isn't exactly the type of guy to get a good match out of someone...

Objection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJBG5IYXoUc

(Yes, I know, but any excuse to post this video is a good one!)

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    OK after reading this article I'll take back what I said about Singh being a horrible human being:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2010/03/05/13121531.html

Edit: Dyvim, you don't need a reason to post a Danshoku Dino vid.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    ED! wrote:
    He was never any good as a wrestler. . .

You. . .are insane. Lawler's quality has gone down as a commentator because he is being forced into a role that he isn't particularly good at - face commentator. His heel commentary with Jim Ross was beyond excellent. What folks don't realize is the commentators call what VINCE wants them to call; if Vince doesn't want Lawler acknowledging the jeers, he doesn't focus on the jeers. Just the way it goes.

Beyond excellent? He ruined an entire era of matches by yelling "puppies." He was an awful wrestler from the start imo (but I never liked the southern wrasslin' style, and could never stand the Honky Tonk man either) and I literally can't think of a single time where I enjoyed his commentary, or his stupid in ring hosting during the attitude era.

I'd put Lawler/Ross at their best (which wasn't a string of months) against any broadcasting duo (including Monsoon and Heenan). As for Lawlers work in the ring, there's a laundry list of great rivalries that Lawler had that I suppose if someone who wasn't familiar with his work outside of WWF/WWE would certainly think "Who is this joker?" His "puppies" routine in the late 90's/early 2000's unfortunately put a stain on what had been up to that point a pretty excellent broadcasting career with McMahon and Ross. Even when he was forced into the ring (his "match" against Shawn Michaels where he still called commentary for example), he still managed to put on a damn excellent show.

But that's the great thing about YouTube, you can absolutely peer into the past and check out what some of these guys were doing in their "primes".

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I wish I could find a video of this.

Apparently at TNA's India show they had Steiner go on a rampage through the crowd. People were scattering around him and he started climbing to the second level like he was King Kong. It just sounds too insane to be true but if it is. That video is going to be pure gold.

• Options
    Eh. Glad Jericho is back, but bast returns have shown that the face Jericho only lasts so long. Just start him out as a heel for goodness sake and lets get it going.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    He is a heel. That was not a face return.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Uh...what the fuck was that

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    ED! wrote:
    Eh. Glad Jericho is back, but bast returns have shown that the face Jericho only lasts so long. Just start him out as a heel for goodness sake and lets get it going.

Would never work. He would, by default, at least start as a face for the opening five minute ovation. Then he'd get on the mike and insult the crowd.

EDIT: Never mind. He doesn't even have to do that.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    He came out all smile and giggles; hence the previous comment. But - as eloquently said above - who the hell knows what that was.

• Options
    The longer I think about it, the more I understand that we all just got brilliantly trolled.

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    He knows what you want, makes you work for it (crowd games) and then doesn't give it to you.

It's a risky move, but an interesting one, and we'll see if this pays off into great heel heat or anti-climax.

• Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    Master of his Craft. :)

6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If he timed his return to match up with his next book release, he might want to be a face (at least for a little while) to help book sales. . .

• Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    I don't think Jericho is a face. Faces don't begin the end of the world.

In other RAW news, I am enjoying the buddy cop vibe John Cena and Ryder have going on. And when Kane finally takes out Ryder in an attempt to turn Cena to the dark side, I will enjoy that too. Between that angle, the hilarious Miz/Truth segments, and Punk/Ziggler's shenanigans, I am already sold on the Rumble.

• Options
    That. Was amazing.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Brodus Clay was amazing. I thought he was just going to be another big man destroyer, but the Funkosaurus from Planet Funk is great stuff and I'm sold.

Swagger vs. Punk was awesome and I really liked the mat wrestling that started the match.

I don't know how I feel about the ending. The Ryder segments took too long at the end. They were good throughout the show, but Kane should have gotten there right away. I'm not a fan of the choke thing he keeps doing to Cena. Just tombstone him, that's way more badass.

• Options
    Count me in the opposite category. I didn't like it when The Godfather did it, and it sucks now. Clay has just guaranteed he'll be mid-carding (or worse). Plus, Lauranitis's comments about Clay prior to his debut doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense now. Just a bomb overall.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    jericho

I bow to you

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I don't think I even care about Kane/Cena anymore. The gimmicks (ring hell, ryder stalking) just sort of fall flat and are too obviously failed attempts at supernatural stunts.

Brodus Clay was NUTS. I wonder if that was the plan all along. I wonder if they realized they didn't have room for another ruthless monster character, and then someone went into the back bin of unused gimmicks and brought out Funkasaurus. Either way, great way to get around their problem, wrestling needs a couple more characters to remind people that it's fun and embraces the inherent silliness of the genre. He's not doomed to midcard hell -- just look at Dolph Ziggler, former male cheerleader -- but he won't be main eventing for a while.

Lux on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    From the planet funk. . .

Anyone who didn't like that is a goose of the highest order.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I had a total Norman Smiley moment when he started to do the hip grind thing. I expected him to do the stop hand motion and start dancing mid match.

iihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U758NFYCD-A

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It appears WWE will be pushing the Network debut back until the Fall of 2012, according to a report by PWInsider.com. WWE had been targeting April 1st, the same day as WrestleMania 28, as the launch date.

It is believed that WWE won't have the the complete infrastructure prepared and that a launch on WrestleMania day would be a devastating risk to the Network's success.

Despite the delay, projects that were being produced such as the "Legend's House" reality show will still go on to be produced as planned.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Lux wrote:
    Brodus Clay was NUTS. I wonder if that was the plan all along. I wonder if they realized they didn't have room for another ruthless monster character, and then someone went into the back bin of unused gimmicks and brought out Funkasaurus. Either way, great way to get around their problem, wrestling needs a couple more characters to remind people that it's fun and embraces the inherent silliness of the genre.

At first I was highly skeptical and completely "WTF is this?!". Then I saw how much fun Brodus was having in the ring and softened. When he followed up his big suplex with a "my bad!", I was pretty much sold.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm still skeptical of the Funkasaurus thing; I've seen it suggested that he might do a different old gimmick each week (since that one came right from Ernest Miller, or at least the theme did). Meanwhile, I'm wondering if it's not just Laurinaitis saddling Brodus with a crazy/stupid gimmick, and he gets fed up.

On top of all that, given the response, I wonder if he might not get over enough with this that they decide to keep it on him for a while...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I'm still skeptical of the Funkasaurus thing; I've seen it suggested that he might do a different old gimmick each week (since that one came right from Ernest Miller, or at least the theme did). Meanwhile, I'm wondering if it's not just Laurinaitis saddling Brodus with a crazy/stupid gimmick, and he gets fed up.

On top of all that, given the response, I wonder if he might not get over enough with this that they decide to keep it on him for a while...

I did wonder if Brodus was being set up for a "new" gimmick every week but frankly he got one of the largest reactions of the night from that awful, awful crowd so even if he was planned to refersh next week they might keep him that way.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    If they took the Funkasaurus away I think many would be angry.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Lux wrote:
    If they took the Funkasaurus away I think many would be angry.

Unless... unless they just replaced it with a blatant King Hippo gimmick.

That would be okay, I think.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Lux wrote:
    Brodus Clay was NUTS. I wonder if that was the plan all along. I wonder if they realized they didn't have room for another ruthless monster character, and then someone went into the back bin of unused gimmicks and brought out Funkasaurus. Either way, great way to get around their problem, wrestling needs a couple more characters to remind people that it's fun and embraces the inherent silliness of the genre.

At first I was highly skeptical and completely "WTF is this?!". Then I saw how much fun Brodus was having in the ring and softened. When he followed up his big suplex with a "my bad!", I was pretty much sold.

that was the best moment. I laughed so hard.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    At least, at the very least, they could have taught him to dance.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Only if the dance they taught him was the Soulja Boy.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    When Kane played peek-a-boo from behind the door at the beginning of the show, I was trying to will, with every fiber of my being, Kane to start going "QUACK QUACK QUACK"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote:
    When Kane played peek-a-boo from behind the door at the beginning of the show, I was trying to will, with every fiber of my being, Kane to start going "QUACK QUACK QUACK"

My first thought as well. They really need to put more time between their backstage stalking bits.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Also next week I want Zack Ryder to try to escape from Kane, only to be thwarted by a task like last night.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote:
    Also next week I want Zack Ryder to try to escape from Kane, only to be thwarted by a task like last night.

QUICK HELP ME CHANGE THE BALL BEARINGS ON MY SKATEBOARD BEFORE KANE GETS HERE

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I did wonder if Brodus was being set up for a "new" gimmick every week but frankly he got one of the largest reactions of the night from that awful, awful crowd so even if he was planned to refersh next week they might keep him that way.

Sorry, that's what I meant to say. Re-reading that last line, I guess I sort of implied the opposite, but yes, exactly.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So i forgo cable for netflix and hulu. Is there a way for me to watch raw?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote:
    So i forgo cable for netflix and hulu. Is there a way for me to watch raw?

Someone always uploads it to YouTube in 8 parts or less an hour after air.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Seems illegitimate but okies.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."