Options

Google Music Beta

Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
People have been talking about this for a while, but I haven't seen a thread on it.

What is it? A very promising looking cloud service to hold up to 80gb of your music that you can access from anywhere without having to have it physically stored on your device. It looks very handy and easy to use. http://music.google.com/about/

It is currently invite only, so I was hoping to use this thread for people to discuss what they've heard about or experienced with this service; as well as, distribute beta invites, if any of our illustrious technology members have some spare invites they would like to distribute to fellow Penny Arcade forum members.

I am currently someone looking for an invite.

May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
Namel3ss on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Invites are distributed by Google and only Google right now.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like a good concept for a service from Google. Music shouldn't take a lot of bandwidth so I hope Google won't bother compressing and degrading the quality of the files for streaming. Although I guess if it has millions of users it would all add up very quickly so they might.

Would be convenient for podcasts too.

splash on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With phones capped at 2gigs will people really care to use it on the go?

variant on
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It says "Sorry, US only" for me here.

Logicow on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Invites are distributed by Google and only Google right now.

Invites are also starting to be sent, so if you signed up for the beta then keep an eye on your inbox.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looks like I'm the first lucky winner!

Okay, a couple quick notes - legalese seems pretty much what you'd expect - waives Google of all liability for copyright infringement, designates all actions of storage/streaming/etc are your decisions and not Google's, states that they're recording various things (most invasive appears to be MAC or mobile device identifiers in order to authorize devices to use your account).

For people who get invites and want free music, choose all genres. I either misread something or it wasn't explicitly stated, but when you're picking what genres you like, they give you some free music in those genres to use at the beginning - I should have just picked all of them because I tend to like songs in most every genre, but prefer certain ones which I picked.

Streaming seems generally good, although there's a couple stutters every now and again. Chalking that up to my uploading songs simultaneously.

You download the uploader, point it to your folders/player of choice and it automatically starts tossing songs in there. Preference in order seems to be to newer/higher rated songs. Everything uploaded so far are ones which I gave 4 or 5 stars in iTunes (and it's automatically applying a "thumbs up" to those songs after uploading. I presume that 4 or 5 will be thumbs up, 3 will be nothing, and if I happen to have any 2 or 1s - I think there's a couple of them I keep around because they're in musical soundtracks of sommat - they'll be thumbs down).

It's also grabbing my play counts in iTunes. And, apparently (while I was typing this post) my playlists, too. That's pretty nifty. None of the Smart Playlists (so far, damnit), but all the regular-made ones are in.

The software apparently uses Gracenote, not sure how that impacts things.

Storage space is 20,000 songs - not based off of song size at all, just number of songs.

This is not a backup/storage solution, there is no way to re-download any songs you upload. I don't know why, but I had the impression that I'd be able to redownload any songs I put into my account as they were password protected, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Music player is clean and pretty intuitive overall. There's also an "Instant Mix" option where you highlight one song, click the Instant Mix thing and it picks out 25 'similar' songs. Haven't messed with it much.

And no, no invites that I can send out. Some of my friends have first dibs if they come up, but if I get any extras, I'll ask around for emails.

And now to try out the android app!

Jragghen on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got my invite as well, but haven't played around with it much. Free High on Fire song is an automatic win. Still trying to get the Android app set up. Haven't uploaded anything yet. I'm just going to let it run overnight.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got my invite last night and it seems pretty good so far, though it's going to take a very, very long time to upload a little over 12,000 songs. The web interface looks good and navigates well, and it's pretty much the same thing for the Android app. I haven't listened to any streamed music with either the web or Android app, so I can't comment on sound quality.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got my invite today and set it to start uploading my iTunes library, but I noticed a tiny little problem: it wants to upload all my podcasts as well. I've got an archive going back several years (which takes up about 136GB apparently) and while I want to keep a local copy around I don't want to store them on Google's servers. I can tell it to only upload specific folders, but I think that's not going to upload my playlists from iTunes, then. Anyone know of a way to upload playlists to the service manually? I didn't spot anything in the help documentation.

I suppose I could remove old podcasts from the iTunes library and leave the files alone, but I'd rather not if it can be avoided.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "We're sorry. Music Beta is currently only available in the United States"
    Daaaamn you goooogle

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think the manager seems to be very much Beta. There doesn't seem to be a way of adding any tracks without the manager. So if you are purchasing something on a machine where you don't have it installed you are kinda screwed. In that way the Amazon cloud player seems to be the more thought out option.

This isn't really a big deal for me since I don't really buy much music. My library is pretty complete for what I like, and I mainly listen to podcasts on the road anyway.

Does anyone know if the manager is compatable with PowerPC Macs? Due to some laptop replacements recently, the only complete copy of my music library is on my old iMac.

I would love a section for podcasts built into this. Something where I could give subscribe and it would just fetch it for me instead of having to download it, then upload it back to google. I suppose there are other apps for mobile devices that manage podcasts so you don't have to download/sync them. I am still using an old iPod until I can swing a monthly data plan anyway, so whatever. Maybe there is another service like that already? I remember Odeo doing something like that, but once those guys invented Twitter Odeo went away, and is some sort of enterprise video solution now.

Jollus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Answered my own question. The Music Manager does work with PowerPC Macs.

I really wish it wasn't uploading all my Audiobooks. I would like to have a similar service for Audio Books and podcasts, but it needs to be separated from music.

Jollus on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, it's a good thing I'm going on travel for a week this month, because daddy just got his Google Music Invite! There goes about 45GB of my bandwidth cap.

Currently uploading song number 25. Of over 9,500.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In about two days I got around half of my 5500+ tracks uploaded. Liking this so far. Actually making me want to speed up plans to get an Android phone. I wonder if someone will make a Blackberry application (I have a BB Curve issued by my employer).

Jollus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    First, a question: if I change tags and such on my local files, will those changes (at some point) be copied to the versions on Google Music? Or will I have to somehow delete/reupload them?

Also, what the fuck? My library won't show up on my Android. It just says my library is empty (I have no songs on my phone).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    First, a question: if I change tags and such on my local files, will those changes (at some point) be copied to the versions on Google Music? Or will I have to somehow delete/reupload them?

Also, what the fuck? My library won't show up on my Android. It just says my library is empty (I have no songs on my phone).

You may have to download a different "music" app. I had to do so.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I
    Jragghen wrote: »

You may have to download a different "music" app. I had to do so.

I've got the Google music beta app, and it did actually show my library the first time I logged in...but when I tried to play the few songs that had uploaded, it failed to load them, and now it says my library is empty.

My songs show fine on the web player...

Do I have to wait until its done uploading? Doesnt seem like I would.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Beta bugs I suppose.

What version of Android are you running? I assume they wouldn't let you install the app if it was the wrong version, but who knows.

I don't purchase much music, but I think the purchase from Amazon, download + cloud backup, then google Music automatically keeping the newly downloaded items synced is going to be a great system.

You have a local MP3 for iTunes/iPods/streaming around the house, and two online backups that both stream to anything. Plus the way Amazon works you can redownload as many times as you want, which is something I see people complaining about with Google Music Beta. I think that Music Beta should enable the playlist pinning to the HTML 5 version so some music could be stored locally on your machine. You can do it on the mobile version, why not the desktop version?

Jollus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ha, problem solved. Finally found the right spot on Google's support pages.

I just had Auto-Sync disabled (in my device's settings, not Google Music).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why do something as intuitive as this in a country with as backward-ass internet as the US

it's like a fucking third world country over there, "bandwidth caps" is as dated a term as "monarchy"

Senshi on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jollus wrote: »
    Plus the way Amazon works you can redownload as many times as you want, which is something I see people complaining about with Google Music Beta.

Not sure I follow this. From what I understand, we just stream from either the site or the app, not download anything.

I'll be poking at this for the near future. Not sure how useful it's going to be for me, but I guess I'll see.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    Plus the way Amazon works you can redownload as many times as you want, which is something I see people complaining about with Google Music Beta.

Not sure I follow this. From what I understand, we just stream from either the site or the app, not download anything.

I'll be poking at this for the near future. Not sure how useful it's going to be for me, but I guess I'll see.

What I meant is, Amazon's service is just like an internet hard drive. What ever you upload (photos, documents, music) can be downloaded to which ever PC you happen to be on at the moment. The Cloud player also lets you play back Music on whatever PC or phone you are using without actually downloading.

Some people have been complaining that Music Beta doesn't allow you to redownload a copy of your songs after you have sent them to Google. Amazon has more of a backup feel to it than Google's offering.

With the pinning playlists feature on the Android player I imagine it won't be that big of a deal. The main raeson I would want to download a local copy is for areas when I am away from wifi or good 3G. I've already got the local copy on my PC, since that is where I uploaded everything from in the first place. If they add playlist pinning to the HTML5 player down the line, I think that would make the whole system perfect. That way you can keep a local backup on a desktop machine, and just sync playlists to laptops and phones that you are using.

I know they won't add it, but if they could add some sort of family account that would be amazing as well. Right now, if my wife and I want to use the same music library we'd both have to be logged into my Google Account. She doesn't have a smart phone now, but when she does get one in the future we are gonig to have to reupload the library so she isn't piggybacking on my account.

Jollus on
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks pretty interesting. From what I understand, this seems sufficiently different from iCloud and the Amazon version for all three to coexist. The Amazon one seems basically like an online hard drive. So, users who want maximum control will probably opt for this. The Google one seems to be 100% streaming, so people with awesome data plans and no desire to have a true online backup will probably opt for this. The Apple one seems to sort of do both, but neither to the same extent. This will probably attract the lazier folk like me who want thing as automated as possible, without the service putting a significant dent into my phones data plan.

floobie on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

What I meant is, Amazon's service is just like an internet hard drive. What ever you upload (photos, documents, music) can be downloaded to which ever PC you happen to be on at the moment. The Cloud player also lets you play back Music on whatever PC or phone you are using without actually downloading.

Some people have been complaining that Music Beta doesn't allow you to redownload a copy of your songs after you have sent them to Google. Amazon has more of a backup feel to it than Google's offering.

Gotcha.

Tamin on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Senshi wrote: »
    Why do something as intuitive as this in a country with as backward-ass internet as the US

it's like a fucking third world country over there, "bandwidth caps" is as dated a term as "monarchy"
    Because despite our "backward-ass internet" we manage to spawn companies like Google, Amazon and Apple. So, neener!

Also, I thought the rest of the world was pretty familiar with bandwidth-caps too. I think I've heard of Canada and Australia having them. That's only 2 others, but I figure it'd be similar elsewhere.

Only thing that pisses me off about Google Music Beta is that it apparently requires flash. Boooo! Google puts together Chrome and we still use Flash. I wonder how Amazon does theirs; I know it'll play on an iPhone so no Flash there.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Because despite our "backward-ass internet" we manage to spawn companies like Google, Amazon and Apple. So, neener!

Also, I thought the rest of the world was pretty familiar with bandwidth-caps too. I think I've heard of Canada and Australia having them. That's only 2 others, but I figure it'd be similar elsewhere.

Only thing that pisses me off about Google Music Beta is that it apparently requires flash. Boooo! Google puts together Chrome and we still use Flash. I wonder how Amazon does theirs; I know it'll play on an iPhone so no Flash there.

I think most countries have these caps and quite often far less generous than the US ones seem to be. I had a cap of about 5, then 20GB in NZ and I've got about 40 here in the UK. Both of which are third world countries with backward ass internet I guess

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »

I think most countries have these caps and quite often far less generous than the US ones seem to be. I had a cap of about 5, then 20GB in NZ and I've got about 40 here in the UK. Both of which are third world countries with backward ass internet I guess

I think "backward-ass internet" is only accurate if you cherry pick a few countries like Japan or South Korea as your comparisons.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »

I think "backward-ass internet" is only accurate if you cherry pick a few countries like Japan or South Korea as your comparisons.

Yup.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sorry, can't hear you over my phat swedish tubes

dealwithit.gif

Edit: also, Australia and NZ are the two worst examples ever for the discussion at hand. The UK only slightly less so

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You know., I had heard back thing about instant mix, but it's doing a pretty good job for me so far.

However, is it just me or is that shuffle mode terrible? Like, I think I doesn't track what songs have played, so it will play a song twice without going through the whole playlist. Dumb.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know., I had heard back thing about instant mix, but it's doing a pretty good job for me so far.

However, is it just me or is that shuffle mode terrible? Like, I think I doesn't track what songs have played, so it will play a song twice without going through the whole playlist. Dumb.
    i can top that, i had it play 3 times in a row and then when i clicked next it moved on to a different version of the song

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    N
    mts wrote: »

i can top that, i had it play 3 times in a row and then when i clicked next it moved on to a different version of the song

I have it play twice in a row and lot, but when I look through counter is still climbing (so like 4 minutes into a 3 minute song)... So just a bug. Joys of beta, an I can't complain.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I haven't had those issues, but the Auto Playlists don't really work - if I double click any track, then the songs don't start playing. However, if I click one of the "sort by" sections, it'll sort in that manner, but remove a vast majority of the songs in the playlist, but be able to play just fine then.

It's a little weird.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sorry, can't hear you over my phat swedish tubes

dealwithit.gif

Edit: also, Australia and NZ are the two worst examples ever for the discussion at hand. The UK only slightly less so

Infrastructure is a bit easier when you have like 12 people in your country and they only live in three different places.

Just sayin'.

admanb on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm Still waiting for my request from Google. They won't let me request twice.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone know how to delete album art? For some reason Music has deiced that every random song has a album art that I must have left in a folder somewhere.

Also I have decided I don't like conventional music organization. With thousands of files uploaded sorting through my list using things like Artist or Album is impossible. I have so many 1 or 2 songs from so many different people that the list is monstrous. On my PC I have it sorted into various folders with different meanings to me. Here it's all lumped into one big list.

As I have never (at least not since Generation 2 but I only had a few songs back then) used iTunes or an iPod how do you people manage these messes?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Depending on how you organize your folders you may be able to use smart playlists (an iTunes feature) or you may just have to use playlists.

admanb on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    library search w/ google music is pretty good.

though it's never going to be anything but a secondary source of song storage for me, never gonna give up my zune pass

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You have been withdrawn from Music Beta
    Please allow time for your music to be removed from any Android devices you've connected to Music Beta
    Get help removing Music Manager from your computer

It was too much for me to handle. Maybe id3 tag management is nice if you have a good organized library with complete albums but when I have a folder with hundreds of happy hardcore songs (pretend like I said classical music so you don't judge me) that are all from different artists and from different dj mixes, the list becomes a wretched mess. I could fix it all with genre tags or playlists but that would take an impossibly long time.

I am just stuck in the past with organizing my music on my hard disk by a folder structure. I never use playlists and just open things one at a time in Winamp.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    You have been withdrawn from Music Beta
    Please allow time for your music to be removed from any Android devices you've connected to Music Beta
    Get help removing Music Manager from your computer

It was too much for me to handle. Maybe id3 tag management is nice if you have a good organized library with complete albums but when I have a folder with hundreds of happy hardcore songs (pretend like I said classical music so you don't judge me) that are all from different artists and from different dj mixes, the list becomes a wretched mess. I could fix it all with genre tags or playlists but that would take an impossibly long time.

I am just stuck in the past with organizing my music on my hard disk by a folder structure. I never use playlists and just open things one at a time in Winamp.

This makes my soul cry. ;)

mcdermott on