As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Falcon may show up before Black Panther, especially given that the current rumor is that the studio says they are NOT doing a Black Panther in 2014.

Plus the Black Panther needs a careful hand to craft the movie and give the character legitimacy outside of comic books. He has a lot going against him.

-He'd be the first solo black hero in the MCU, and half of his shtick is he's an african prince who worships a Panther diety that gives him powers. I can see some backlash over making the premier black superhero an african tribalist instead of just another dude (who happens to be black)
    -His backstory is kinda crazy: involving advanced technology AND mysticism
    -He's friggen named the Black Panther

Not impossibel to accomplish, but it'll probably be the conversion that requires the most care: even moreso than Thor.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    And yet EMH even had Falcon being kind of cool
    Was part of the EMH intellegencia or whatever it's gonna be.

Why are we losing EMH again? sigh..

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Because Loeb hates cartoons with continuity and multiple episode story arcs. Plus, I hear he just wanted to clean house of any projects that existed prior to him being put in charge of Marvel animation.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    EMH probably didn't have enough characters named Sam.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    EMH probably didn't have enough characters named Sam.

I hear Sam and the Samuels is going to be awesome.

About the Russo Brothers, I'll hold off any judgement till we start seeing stuff from it. Like others have said, their Paintball Community episodes have been pretty actiony, and casting a left field choice worked pretty damn well with Favreu.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I just saw a commercial for Amazing Spider-Man. I REALLY hope they don't get silly with Peter losing his mask like the previous trilogy.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Well this is worrying.
    It's unfortunate that The Amazing Spider-Man is titled as such, because it's inevitable that not-so-clever journalists like myself will go for the obvious headline: "The Bot-So-Amazing Spider-Man." While Beenox's latest effort has a lot of interesting ideas, it doesn't go above what you'd expect from a rushed movie license game.

Fans have been waiting for a new open-world Spider-Man game for a long time. And while Amazing offers a virtual New York City to swing through, it's simply not fun to move around the environment. Spider-Man doesn't feel like he has any weight about him, and his magical ability to swing off of nothing in the air does little to make you feel like Spider-Man. After playing for a few minutes, you'd think Peter Parker's real super power is the ability to magically cling onto the side of buildings and lampposts--even if you don't want to.

Beenox does offer an alternative that offers a bit more accuracy. Web Rush mode lets you pause time and aim Spider-Man at precisely where you want to go. A procedural animation then plays, gliding Spider-Man to the point you selected. It's a novel idea, but it breaks up the pace of normal movement way too much. You can also choose not to pause time, but Web Rush is far less effective when launched "automatically."

While there are random crimes that you can stop as Spider-Man, exploring the environment is just not fun. The graphics are ugly; this is probably one of the ugliest recreations of New York I've seen this generation. The world feels lifeless, as if Marvel's continued attack on the city has abandoned it of cars and pedestrians. The various crimes you can stop--such as chasing down runaway cars--aren't particularly fun either.

Amazing Spider-Man might not do open world gameplay in a satisfying way, but its close-quarters combat is no better. It takes cues from Rocksteady's Arkham games, letting Spidey "free-flow" from one enemy to the next. The Spidey-sense that kicks in as an enemy attacks lets you dodge easily, and fits the character well. Unfortunately, the combat system feels sloppy, with the combo system feeling disjointed. There's no sense of connection as you move from enemy to enemy, and the lackluster animation certainly doesn't help.

Movie license games always invite a fair deal of skepticism because movie release dates rarely afford developers much time to polish their games. The Amazing Spider-Man is an even more ambitious game than Beenox's previous titles, and it's clear that it needs much more time to coalesce into something more polished. With its release imminent, it seems unlikely The Amazing Spider-Man will shape up to live up to its namesake.

I know I'm a page late, but the gameplay I've seen seems like it's all right. I mean, Ultimate Spider-Man had the "swing off of nothing" system, and it was satisfying. The combat looks okay, it's just the camera that needs work.

All in all, it looks like the best open world Spider-Man game in a little while.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    At least it still has Hawkeye. Gonna miss the old costume, though.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Well this is worrying.
    It's unfortunate that The Amazing Spider-Man is titled as such, because it's inevitable that not-so-clever journalists like myself will go for the obvious headline: "The Bot-So-Amazing Spider-Man." While Beenox's latest effort has a lot of interesting ideas, it doesn't go above what you'd expect from a rushed movie license game.

Fans have been waiting for a new open-world Spider-Man game for a long time. And while Amazing offers a virtual New York City to swing through, it's simply not fun to move around the environment. Spider-Man doesn't feel like he has any weight about him, and his magical ability to swing off of nothing in the air does little to make you feel like Spider-Man. After playing for a few minutes, you'd think Peter Parker's real super power is the ability to magically cling onto the side of buildings and lampposts--even if you don't want to.

Beenox does offer an alternative that offers a bit more accuracy. Web Rush mode lets you pause time and aim Spider-Man at precisely where you want to go. A procedural animation then plays, gliding Spider-Man to the point you selected. It's a novel idea, but it breaks up the pace of normal movement way too much. You can also choose not to pause time, but Web Rush is far less effective when launched "automatically."

While there are random crimes that you can stop as Spider-Man, exploring the environment is just not fun. The graphics are ugly; this is probably one of the ugliest recreations of New York I've seen this generation. The world feels lifeless, as if Marvel's continued attack on the city has abandoned it of cars and pedestrians. The various crimes you can stop--such as chasing down runaway cars--aren't particularly fun either.

Amazing Spider-Man might not do open world gameplay in a satisfying way, but its close-quarters combat is no better. It takes cues from Rocksteady's Arkham games, letting Spidey "free-flow" from one enemy to the next. The Spidey-sense that kicks in as an enemy attacks lets you dodge easily, and fits the character well. Unfortunately, the combat system feels sloppy, with the combo system feeling disjointed. There's no sense of connection as you move from enemy to enemy, and the lackluster animation certainly doesn't help.

Movie license games always invite a fair deal of skepticism because movie release dates rarely afford developers much time to polish their games. The Amazing Spider-Man is an even more ambitious game than Beenox's previous titles, and it's clear that it needs much more time to coalesce into something more polished. With its release imminent, it seems unlikely The Amazing Spider-Man will shape up to live up to its namesake.

I know I'm a page late, but the gameplay I've seen seems like it's all right. I mean, Ultimate Spider-Man had the "swing off of nothing" system, and it was satisfying. The combat looks okay, it's just the camera that needs work.

All in all, it looks like the best open world Spider-Man game in a little while.

I thought Ultimate Spiderman had the system from the Spiderman 2 movie game, where there had to be something around to attach to

now it did pick your target based on the vague direction you were pointing the left stick, but I swear you needed an anchor point for swinging

• Options
    I like how this thread officially survived to the next summer without a name change.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    According to Bleeding Cool (Yes, I know), the Person in the Iron Patriot suit is going to be Rhodey...

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    According to Bleeding Cool (Yes, I know), the Person in the Iron Patriot suit is going to be Rhodey...
    But we have seen the dude in the Iron Patriot suit and it sure as hell isn't Rhodey

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    But we have seen the dude in the Iron Patriot suit and it sure as hell isn't Rhodey

clearly a stuntman

clearly

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

clearly a stuntman

clearly
    Except reports from on set say it is the dude who plays Coldblood and it looks like him

clearly

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yes

i know

i'm on your side

• Options

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Maybe Coldblood steals the suit from Rhodey?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    GL relaunch in the cards?
    According to the trade paper, nearly a year after the disappointing release of that superhero tentpole (the $200 million movie grossed just $220 million worldwide), Warner Bros. is still deciding whether to bring back star Ryan Reynolds for a sequel, or relaunch the character in a new way. What that “new way” might be isn’t specified, but it’s certainly possible the studio could return to the idea of using the Justice League movie as a way to introduce audiences to heroes like The Flash, Aquaman and Wonder Woman, who would then spin off into their own solo projects — in short, the opposite of Marvel’s approach.

Although Green Lantern screenwriters Greg Berlanti, Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim turned in an outline for the sequel last year, it was reported in August that Warner Bros. was expected to make significant changes if not start from scratch (Variety contends Michael Goldenberg, who rewrote Green Lantern and is now attached to Wonder Woman, penned a sequel script as far back as 2010). Warner Bros. President Jeff Robinov said at the time that, “To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action. … And we have to find a way to balance the time the movie spends in space versus on Earth.”

Whatever direction Warner Bros. takes with the Green Lantern sequel, and the rest of its DC Comics stable, Variety’s sources say executives have learned they need “to tap creatives that genuinely understand the characters the way Joss Whedon was comfortable with The Avengers.”

Here's a tip....don't make a movie about Hal Boring Jordan.

Hell the movie version was changed to make him more lively and was still crap.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Green Lantern wasn't bad because the concept of Green Lantern is difficult to do or because Hal Jordan is boring or any of that

Green Lantern was bad because it was made by people who were not good at their jobs

it was poorly written, directed and run, and that's it. There's no reason why it couldn't have been good.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well this is worrying.

Sounds bad, but I'll still buy it - I managed to get some fun out of all the other Marvel movie games, even if they were considered mostly horrible. The main problem sounds like it just needs more polish - all of the complaints I'm reading sound like things that could be good with enough testing. I'd hope the problems with Edge of Time would have shown what a problem rushing an unfinished game could be. I'd like to see some actual sales figures on these sorts of games - does being released at the same time as the movies have a bigger impact on sales that an a high Metacritic score? I think if a Spider-Man game was made with the same attention to detail and quality as the Arkham Asylum/City, it would totally trounce those games in sales figures.

One thing I would like to see added to a Spidey game (well, a Daredevil game if I'm being completely honest :D) would be the free run system from the Assassin's Creed games. The way the character's move through cities and over rooftops would be perfect for Spidey, just add in some webslinging.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »

clearly a stuntman

clearly
    Except reports from on set say it is the dude who plays Coldblood and it looks like him

clearly

It might be a stuntman who looks like Coldblood's actor.

Cade wrote: »
    GL relaunch in the cards?
    According to the trade paper, nearly a year after the disappointing release of that superhero tentpole (the $200 million movie grossed just $220 million worldwide), Warner Bros. is still deciding whether to bring back star Ryan Reynolds for a sequel, or relaunch the character in a new way. What that “new way” might be isn’t specified, but it’s certainly possible the studio could return to the idea of using the Justice League movie as a way to introduce audiences to heroes like The Flash, Aquaman and Wonder Woman, who would then spin off into their own solo projects — in short, the opposite of Marvel’s approach.

Although Green Lantern screenwriters Greg Berlanti, Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim turned in an outline for the sequel last year, it was reported in August that Warner Bros. was expected to make significant changes if not start from scratch (Variety contends Michael Goldenberg, who rewrote Green Lantern and is now attached to Wonder Woman, penned a sequel script as far back as 2010). Warner Bros. President Jeff Robinov said at the time that, “To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action. … And we have to find a way to balance the time the movie spends in space versus on Earth.”

Whatever direction Warner Bros. takes with the Green Lantern sequel, and the rest of its DC Comics stable, Variety’s sources say executives have learned they need “to tap creatives that genuinely understand the characters the way Joss Whedon was comfortable with The Avengers.”

Here's a tip....don't make a movie about Hal Boring Jordan.

Hell the movie version was changed to make him more lively and was still crap.

Rubinov's a bigger concern to a new GL film than Hal Jordan. IIRC he was heavily involved in editing the movie. With him in charge every DC film is a potential disaster. That said, Hal isn't a bad character with the proper story and actor he'd have made a good live action Lantern. They need to replace him with John Stewart, even in a reboot, to keep the movie's distance from the previous film. Make him the Earth Lantern that thwarts Sinestro.
    Solar wrote: »
    Green Lantern wasn't bad because the concept of Green Lantern is difficult to do or because Hal Jordan is boring or any of that

Green Lantern was bad because it was made by people who were not good at their jobs

it was poorly written, directed and run, and that's it. There's no reason why it couldn't have been good.

Agreed.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular

Didn't they also shove way, way too much GL crap into the movie? He didn't need to just fight Sinestro, but they had to include the whole Ion/Parallax thing, and Hammond, and ...

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Yeah, you could probably do a soft-reboot that starts with someone else getting the ring and Sinestro as the villain. Just write Jordan out with an offhand line about Sinestro killing a bunch of Lanterns, which implies Jordan's death without actually mentioning him or the previous film in any specific way.

• Options
    Yeah but there was nothing inherently wrong with any ot those things

they all could have worked

it was just poorly executed

GL was a poorly executed film. The ideas that it used from the comics were fine, they were just used poorly.

What I meant by this was just that Warner Bros doesn't have a problem in that they don't get the ideas

they have a problem in that they didn't give them to people good enough to make a good film from them

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    As soon as I heard that line about the yellow energy of fear in the trailer, I thought, "Aw, fuck."

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Really if it wasn't for Avi Arad, Marvel probably wouldn't have the kind of cinematic success they're enjoying today. All it takes is a good producer who can handle the balancing act between art and business when it comes to movies.

• Options
    tomorrow
    Munch wrote: »
    As soon as I heard that line about the yellow energy of fear in the trailer, I thought, "Aw, fuck."

My Aw fuck moment in the trailer was the first ridiculous look at Hammond's huge head.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Man, the moment where Hammond makes his big, dramatic appearance by.. rolling around a corner in an electric wheelchair, I laughed until I couldn't breathe.

The thing that struck me about Green Lantern, is that there's no real heroic journey. Hal's big problem is that he knows fear, and has to learn to overcome it. I couldn't help but think it would have been more interesting to have him start as the fearless jackass, who has to learn humility and temperance.

And if you start Hal off as a jackass, that actually gives Hammond a reason to hate him. Shit, have Hal's fearless-borne negligence be responsible for crippling Hammond, with Hal only repenting when Hector's too far gone for it to matter, and you add some actual element of tragedy to to their relationship.

Really though, I'm flabbergasted by the decision to make Hammond the bad guy. There's not a single image of him, from decades of comics, that I could look at and think, "Oh yeah, this will totally translate to a live action summer blockbuster."

• Options
    They should have just used Sinestra

fucks sake, Sinestro is the only really good Hal Jordan baddy

Hell, he is one of the only good GL baddies at all

But he is a great baddie, in a classic sneering villain sense

• Options
    Man, this week's Young Justice

• Options
    I think a generic Avengers-style alien invasion would have worked best for Green Lantern, with evil Sinestro foreshadowing being set up for the sequel. Give one of the aliens an unique look and some extra screen time - hell, go ahead and make it Atrocitus or Krona - to set up a villain.

• Options

Yeah it was pretty great

• Options
    They should have just used Sinestra

fucks sake, Sinestro is the only really good Hal Jordan baddy

Hell, he is one of the only good GL baddies at all

But he is a great baddie, in a classic sneering villain sense

Sinestro is the franchise's greatest villain, but he's not the only good one. Krona, Fatality, Star Sapphire, the Manhunters, the Controllers, Nekron, Grayven & Cyborg Superman* are excellent villains in GL's rogues gallery.
    Hensler wrote: »
    I think a generic Avengers-style alien invasion would have worked best for Green Lantern, with evil Sinestro foreshadowing being set up for the sequel. Give one of the aliens an unique look and some extra screen time - hell, go ahead and make it Atrocitus or Krona - to set up a villain.

Green Lantern did have Krona set up Parallax. He was the Guardian who got corrupted in the prologue.

* they'd have to alter him a bit so he's no longer tied to Superman though

• Options

Yeah it was pretty great
    For a second I was all, holy crap how are they getting away with such a dark show

• Options

Yeah it was pretty great
    For a second I was all, holy crap how are they getting away with such a dark show
    well it's still pretty adult

I mean, light and bright superheroics this aint

Miss Martian attempted to mind rape Superboy into accepting that her driving others into catatonic states was okay, and loving her entirely again

• Options
    dang it Young Justice

why do you keep leaving Zatanna offscreen

she even got left out in the Girl Squad episode!

• Options
    dang it Young Justice

This is why we need a new Justice League series about the version from Young Justice.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    dang it Young Justice

She's on the Justice League

• Options
    Which doesn't make any sense to me!

• Options
    Why?

She's a young adult, capable and fills the magical niche on the League's roster.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.