As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soda, Cola, Pop, whatever you call it, talk about it here.

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I admit that this seems like a rather frivolous thing to make a thread about, but when has that ever stopped a PA forumgoer?

Yes, this thread is all about Soda

Cola

Pop.

You know, that stuff?

What's your favorite? Is it some kind of local, micro-brewery stuff? Or is it one of those big name chains (you can admit it, we won't laugh.) Is it Big K? (if so, you got poor taste man)

My own is probably this stuff i've been trying called Virgil's. Pure Sugar cane soda.
http://www.reedsinc.com/virgils/

They call themselves the Ben and Jerry's of pop. (Frankly I prefer Graeters to B&J's but that's another thread) They are however, creamy and delicious.

But what's yours?

Matthew on

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I once drank like three to five cans of Dr. Pepper a day back in high-school for a few years. I don't really like Dr. Pepper any more, probably because of that.

I'm one of the few people I've met who doesn't have a preference between Pepsi and Coke. Pepsi is sweeter, but Coke has a nice bite to it. Generally though, I try to avoid soda these days because my activity level is poo, and HFCS is like extra horrible when you're not burning the energy off. Sometimes I'll drink a pepsi or root beer when I'm over at my parents place, or maybe get a big soda when I'm at the movies.

Best soda is Cream Soda though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Soda thread needs more soda nomenclature map.

total-county.gif

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I used to despise people who call it pop, because I am from the south.

Then I compromised and decided it's only a despicable term when applied to brands that originated in the south, like Pepsi and Coke.

And I can totally taste the difference, and absolutely prefer pepsi. Always have.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I generally prefer Pepsi products. My drink of choice is usually Mountain Dew. Pepsi Throwback (sugar vs corn syrup) is really awesome, but I generally prefer canned Coke to canned Pepsi. (And interestingly, I like canned Coke more than bottled or fountain Coke as well) A good fountain Pepsi is fantastic though.

I remember back in the day when Surge and Mellow Yellow were around, sometimes the servers at restaurants would take my order for Mountain Dew and not tell me that they didn't have Pepsi products, and just bring me Mellow Yellow or Surge instead, which was always an awful surprise because those both taste terrible to me.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You had saddened the thread. OF course it's not good for you - but it can be tasty. Let's pretend it's good for you and we should probably avoid the HCFS / Sugar debate .

Anyways I like Pepsi. I drink way too much if it's available. It's why I don't drink beer. If I can't stop drinking Pepsi just imagine how bad off it would be with beer.

I strangely don't like Pepsi Throwback. It has a filmy taste to me which is odd because everyone says the opposite is true - regular Pepsi has it.

Lately, I have been drinking Dominion Root Beer (pretty sure it's local) and it's made with honey. It's probably the best bottled Root Beer here in N. VA. I bought a couple different brands just yesterday to taste test to confirm.

Traveling the world I realized that Sprite taste way different in every country. AFrican Sprite (the kind bottled in Burundi I believe) is more lime flavored then lemon and amazingly crisp when near frozen. It's not as a good as a Fanta Citro over there though.

Arab Pepsi and Pepsi from Isreal both mess with my stomach for some reason.

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh yeah, I LOATH fountain soda. They never seem to mix it right so it always tastes like crap.

But maybe I'm just too raised on canned soda to notice.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I generally prefer Pepsi products. My drink of choice is usually Mountain Dew. Pepsi Throwback (sugar vs corn syrup) is really awesome, but I generally prefer canned Coke to canned Pepsi. (And interestingly, I like canned Coke more than bottled or fountain Coke as well) A good fountain Pepsi is fantastic though.

I remember back in the day when Surge and Mellow Yellow were around, sometimes the servers at restaurants would take my order for Mountain Dew and not tell me that they didn't have Pepsi products, and just bring me Mellow Yellow or Surge instead, which was always an awful surprise because those both taste terrible to me.

Not to mention legally actionable. Hence the song and dance you get.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That map is amazing. I had no idea that soda was, in fact, a new england thing, and not a south thing.

Apparently us rednecks call it all coke.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn Alaska, make up your mind.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh yeah, I LOATH fountain soda. They never seem to mix it right so it always tastes like crap.

But maybe I'm just too raised on canned soda to notice.

There's an old style soda fountain shop here in town, and they make fountain drinks the old fashioned way.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fuckin' Cascade Ice has been my drug of choice, lately.

Their 0-calorie sour apple is fucking delicious.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I do want to get my hands on a nice cold Jones turkey soda one of these days.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like Coke Zero. It is my cola of choice. I will drink other colas if Coke Zero is unavailable (in order of priority: Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, everything else).

Pony on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    That map is amazing. I had no idea that soda was, in fact, a new england thing, and not a south thing.

The only "other" I can think of is fizz

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanatos on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pepsi Max.

Alternatively cream soda, which I can only seem to get in chippies here.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Damn Alaska, make up your mind.

You do realize we're 2.5 times the size of TEXAS, right?

We're practically several states stuck together anyways, with VAST distances between regions, so it's not surprising we're so schizophrenic when it comes to pop culture trends. Plus we're always a few years behind the lower-48 when it comes to trends.

I hear all of your youngsters have decided that wearing your pants around your fucking thighs, instead of pulling the them the fuck up, is no longer "hip." If that's true, I envy you people.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the various different types of Soda but hate the calories (and I hate artificial sweeteners even more) so my day to day drink is Seltzer water. You can make it at home on the cheap and it only takes a bit of fruit oil to give it a bit of extra flavor.

Whenever I travel or see something new though I usually buy one or a case and drink them on special occasions. Last year I really liked that super sour version of Mountain Dew but was blown away when the people at large voted for the flavorless white one.

You can find some incredible sodas traveling though. Weird berries, pie flavors turned into soda, warm dr. peppers, strange cola relics from the bygone medicinal days, it's crazy. You haven't lived until you've had a real strawberry soda.

As for fountain drinks you need to find someone who cares about them. The only major chain that does it right is Sonic, but there are plenty of old timey soda jerks at various pharmacy counters that have survived and can make up some absolutely terrific drinks.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So am I the only one who truly prefers Pepsi in a can over all other methods including bottled with real sugar?

And does anyone anywhere like the way plastic 20oz bottle soda taste? It's horrible.

useless4 on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You do realize we're 2.5 times the size of TEXAS, right?

We're practically several states stuck together anyways, with VAST distances between regions, so it's not surprising we're so schizophrenic when it comes to pop culture trends. Plus we're always a few years behind the lower-48 when it comes to trends.

I hear all of your youngsters have decided that wearing your pants around your fucking thighs, instead of pulling the them the fuck up, is no longer "hip." If that's true, I envy you people.
    Half that map is painted blue, size is no excuse!

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What the fuck is the other part of that equation? Tab? Dr. Pib? Fizzing Wizzby?
    Tonic/Tonic Water most likely.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    useless4 wrote: »
    So am I the only one who truly prefers Pepsi in a can over all other methods including bottled with real sugar?

And does anyone anywhere like the way plastic 20oz bottle soda taste? It's horrible.

I've never really discerned a difference in taste due to storage medium. Obviously fountain is different, but that's because it's literally made on the spot instead of in the factory.

But I've never noticed a real difference between can and plastic bottle in terms of taste.

Pony on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I went on a tour of a Coke facility a month or so ago and I got to see all the nuts and bolts of the operation. It was pretty cool to see how it all comes together. I even got to see the little plastic blanks that get turned into full sized bottles.

Marathon on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

From my experience, everyone in Canada uses the correct term: Pop

Although if you use Soda, no one will blink an eye.

Call something not Coke "Coke" though and they will stare at you like you are a fucking madman.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When I go into restaurants

I will order a Diet Coke

and sometimes they don't have Coke, because they're a Pepsi-licensed establishment, and the server will be like

"Is Diet Pepsi ok?"

I am always like "Yeah that's fine."

But every now and again I get the temptation to be like "WHAT! HOW DARE YOU?!" and table-turn and storm out as a gag

Pony on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, what about floats? A big scoop of vanilla ice cream floating in your carbonated beverage of choice? What do you float your vanilla in?

Used to just do rootbeer floats, but recently been addicted to orange soda float.

see317 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

I heard "tonic" once in Massachusetts.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't always drink soda, but when I do, it's Pepsi Throwback. Spoiled for all others now.

A friend of mine is on a lifelong goal to sample every generic version of Dr. Pepper out there. He's up to a dozen different brand names now.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Tach wrote: »
    I don't always drink soda, but when I do, it's Pepsi Throwback. Spoiled for all others now.

A friend of mine is on a lifelong goal to sample every generic version of Dr. Pepper out there. He's up to a dozen different brand names now.

I remember hearing a story about a guy who did that. Had a rating chart and everything.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    see317 wrote: »
    So, what about floats? A big scoop of vanilla ice cream floating in your carbonated beverage of choice? What do you float your vanilla in?

Used to just do rootbeer floats, but recently been addicted to orange soda float.

Cheerwine floats are remarkably great.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    see317 wrote: »

Most of my floats in the last year have been beer. Beer beer, not soda beer... although I do remember being someplace where they had a keg of locally made Birch Beer freshly tapped. That was some incredible soda.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    DrukDruk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A&W Cream Soda followed by A&W Root Beer

Re: map - wtf St.Louis, trying to compromise? I thought I remembered you being a "Coke" city.

Druk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Orange Crush floats with vanilla ice cream are fuckin' boss yo

Pony on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »

My grandfather doesn't call it that. Did you ask the guy about his service in the Great War?

Bagginses on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    shryke wrote: »

From my experience, everyone in Canada uses the correct term: Pop

Although if you use Soda, no one will blink an eye.

Call something not Coke "Coke" though and they will stare at you like you are a fucking madman.

Pretty much this. Everyone calls it pop. Though there's nothing wrong with Americans who call it soda. The coke thing I just don't get though. Fucking Atlanta.

As a young kid I really disliked the fizzyness of pop so I never got addicted to it like my peers - something my parents were very thankful for - and I had friends who would drink several cans of Coke a day while the only sweet drink I ever enjoyed was sweetened ice tea.

I'll buy Coke for mixer, or at a vending machine if I'm thirsty, but to this day I haven't ever bought pop as a standard grocery item to bring home and drink regularly.

I am ashamed to say though that I got it in my head growing up, somehow, that I hated root beer (which I tried once) and ginger ale (which I never tried). I had both for the first time in about a decade a year or so ago.

I'm not quite sure what I was thinking.

canada-dry%20RASPBERRY.jpg

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whats the deal with brominated vegetable oil? Its only in Dew related stuff. It sounds disgusting, but if it had any utility, I would expect to see it in more sodas.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Even though I am a Canadian patriot, Vernors is the superior ginger ale, sorry.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Pony wrote: »

I will order a Diet Coke

and sometimes they don't have Coke, because they're a Pepsi-licensed establishment, and the server will be like

"Is Diet Pepsi ok?"

But every now and again I get the temptation to be like "WHAT! HOW DARE YOU?!" and table-turn and storm out as a gag

Again, it's not that they want to, it's that they have to. Coke can, will, and has sued over the serving of non-Coke product when Coke product was requested.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

My grandfather doesn't call it that. Did you ask the guy about his service in the Great War?

It was a waitress, and I was like 8. She asked me if I wanted one, I panicked and said no.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Pony wrote: »

I will order a Diet Coke

"Is Diet Pepsi ok?"

Again, it's not that they want to, it's that they have to. Coke can, will, and has sued over the serving of non-Coke product when Coke product was requested.

I know, it's just that they say it with such caution and concern I feel like I want to justify that with over-reacting as a joke.

Pony on