As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Primary 2012: Romney Wins Debate By Saying Nothing, Having Nice Hair

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, this field just gets weirder and crazier every day. I still wouldn't have a clue who to call it for.

shryke on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tenek wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I really do wish we had a coherent conservative party, though.

You do.

Well, the idea was that we'd end up with a center right conservative party with a small extreme caucus and a center left liberal party with a genuine progressive caucus instead of a center-right party, a very right party, and an inconsistent bag of crazy.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Changing my prediction to !Romney since Huckabee is not running.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    Man, this field just gets weirder and crazier every day. I still wouldn't have a clue who to call it for.

I'm pulling for a Michele Bachmann/Scott Walker ticket right now.

When in doubt, double down on the crazy.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Nah, Walker won't possibly make it that far.

When asked about his views on the other branches he quietly mumbles things about abolishing the senate and some star or another being fully functional.

... no, really, Walker is practically to the point of parody. In order to mock him we're going to need Stewart and Colbert to develop a whole new field of satire.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Switches aren't allowed, sucks for you. And the list should be updated.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I picked Romney last thread.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »

Nah, Walker won't possibly make it that far.

When asked about his views on the other branches he quietly mumbles things about abolishing the senate and some star or another being fully functional.

... no, really, Walker is practically to the point of parody. In order to mock him we're going to need Stewart and Colbert to develop a whole new field of satire.

But from a long-term perspective it makes sense for the GOP to push Bachmann/Walker overdrive to the front of the line.

Think about it. The GOP leadership has to see the same things we see, the destruction of Newt, the recent loss in NY, etc.

There are a few ways that they can try to get hold of the situation, but any win in the general in 2012 is looking insanely unlikely. Unless Obama films himself eating a baby he's not going to lose, he's simply too good a campaigner.

If the GOP runs Romney, they gain nothing. Status quo will be maintained, and the Tea Party will continue to devour parts of the remaining Republican base while the rest run away from the crazy. This will, long term, lead to the fall of the Republican brand. Hence why someo f the recent candidates in Washington State ran as "GOP" rather than "Republican".

Putting Bachmann out front does several things. Firstly, it placates the Tea Party. Every single one of them will turn out in droves to support her because she's JUST THAT NUTS. Secondly, it prevents any and all ticket-splitting by Tea Party candidates during the general. Bachmann will have to travel to almost every state and endorse specific candidates, but once the Tea Party knows who she stands behind there will be little to no dissent among the ranks of the GOP Base.

Scott Walker bumbling his way to VP will actually work in his and the GOPs favor, particularly if he can hit the jackpot before the recall election is certified next year. Taking him out of Wisconsin saves face for the GOP and takes the wind out of any other recalls that may come up by removing the big face of government evil and moving it to the relatively unsung spot of Vice Presidential Nominee. This could keep Wisconsin from turning solid Blue over the next few years.

Yes, they'll lose in the General, but the GOP already knows that and that can be a good thing if it's controlled, because Bachmann won't be able to seriously run again and the GOP can coast by on the points they score. It also subverts a potential Hillary run in 2016 (however unlikely that might be) by taking the "First female presidential nominee" crap out of the running.

Sacrificing Bachmann/Walker gets two crazies out of the GOP, rallies the Tea Party, shores up the House and Senate seats that will be up for grabs in 2012, and improves the GOP position going into 2014. It is the longterm strategic choice.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Nah. I'm starting to think we'll get a random nutter for the candidate, but they'll realize they need someone more middle of the road for the VP pick. It won't work of course, because the candidate will still be some random nutter. But you're more likely to get Palin/Romeny than Palin/Bachman, for example.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I'm going full blown crazy. Moving to Arizona, documentary coming down the pipes... !Palin

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thing is, though, if Walker gets put in the VP slot, that would be tantamount to conceding Wisconsin. We would not take well the sight of Walker on the Presidential ticket. And Wisconsin this cycle is being built up as Uper Hyper Battleground Number One Extra Spicy.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Yeah, Paul Ryan is so serious about balancing the budget that he completely rules out letting the Bush tax cuts expire, despite the fact that anyone who can do basic arithmetic can see that spending cuts alone won't get anywhere close to fixing the problems with the budget.

How about we have a new rule: you're not allowed to call anyone "serious" about debt or deficit reduction if said person rules out tax increases or budget cuts as part of the solution.

Ryan lost all deficit/debt cred with me when he refused to vote for the Simpson-Bowles plan because it included tax increases. That vote was his best chance to make an actual contribution to working this out. His budget on the other hand is ridiculous.

enc0re on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Romney will win. Palin will run, and either her or Cain will prove a challenge to Romney, but ultimately he'll succeed.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    Thing is, though, if Walker gets put in the VP slot, that would be tantamount to conceding Wisconsin. We would not take well the sight of Walker on the Presidential ticket. And Wisconsin this cycle is being built up as Uper Hyper Battleground Number One Extra Spicy.

I suspect the GOP has already lost the Great Lakes region due to overreach by their Governors/legislatures. Snyder just signed a overhaul of Michigan's tax code today. Surprise, it's a massive business tax cut, while drastically increasing taxes on certain other people. Like the elderly (pensions are taxable now).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The GOP continued its bloody walk into the Medicare buzzsaw Wednesday, when 40 out of 47 Senate Republicans voted for the House GOP budget, and its plan to phase out and privatize the popular entitlement program.

The budget failed by a vote of 57-40. But the roll call illustrates that Medicare privatization -- along with deep cuts to Medicaid and other social services -- remains the consensus position of the GOP despite the growing political backlash against them.

Voting with all of the Democrats were Sens. Scott Brown (R-MA), Olympia Snowe (R-ME) -- both 2012 incumbents -- along with Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK). Rand Paul (R-KY) voted against it because it wasn't radical enough.

Sens. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Pat Roberts (R-KS), and Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) did not vote.

Democrats intentionally scheduled the vote less than 24 hours after a Democrat won a special election in New York's 26th -- and heavily Republican -- congressional district, on the strength of defending Medicare from a GOP onslaught.

Good to know Republicans don't know how to learn. Guess now we know why they want to abolish the DoE.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Romney's going to win it. All these crazy people saying stuff is funny, but you're not gonna win if you can't raise money, and romney's killing everybody at that.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The GOP continued its bloody walk into the Medicare buzzsaw Wednesday, when 40 out of 47 Senate Republicans voted for the House GOP budget, and its plan to phase out and privatize the popular entitlement program.

Good to know Republicans don't know how to learn. Guess now we know why they want to abolish the DoE.

And bad to know Democrats don't know how to learn either. Rep. Hoyer (D) today said that Medicare cuts are on the table for budget talks.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

The budget failed by a vote of 57-40. But the roll call illustrates that Medicare privatization -- along with deep cuts to Medicaid and other social services -- remains the consensus position of the GOP despite the growing political backlash against them.

Voting with all of the Democrats were Sens. Scott Brown (R-MA), Olympia Snowe (R-ME) -- both 2012 incumbents -- along with Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK). Rand Paul (R-KY) voted against it because it wasn't radical enough.

Sens. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Pat Roberts (R-KS), and Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) did not vote.

Democrats intentionally scheduled the vote less than 24 hours after a Democrat won a special election in New York's 26th -- and heavily Republican -- congressional district, on the strength of defending Medicare from a GOP onslaught.

I spoke out against, and made fun of, Scott Brown when he won. The fact that he practically ran unopposed was beside the point to me. But he has proven himself remarkably moderate and not unreasonable. Good on him.

Rand Paul needs to take a step back and critically examine his life.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Clevinger wrote: »

And bad to know Democrats don't know how to learn either. Rep. Hoyer (D) today said that Medicare cuts are on the table for budget talks.

Hoyer is so fucking useless.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Hoyer's an idiot. Pelosi, the actual leader of the party, has repeatedly and stringently stated that Dems aren't going near Medicare or SS. And I would believe her far before I would believe Hoyer.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Hoyer is apparently too busy following Beiber's twitter feed during House strategy meetings, where it seems to be pretty clearly spelled out: "Defend Medicare to the death, call the GOP on it any time they even LOOK at Medicare, and we win in a landslide"

kildy on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Getting Lisa Murkowski to become the GOP's Joe Liberman was one of the best coups of the 2010 midterms.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I spoke out against, and made fun of, Scott Brown when he won. The fact that he practically ran unopposed was beside the point to me. But he has proven himself remarkably moderate and not unreasonable. Good on him.

Brown's no moderate, he's just masquerading as one in a (hopefully futile) attempt to retain his seat next year. When McConnell cracks his whip, Brown jumps - there was no whipping this time.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did the Democrats do it again?

HR1540 just failed.

Yay: 61 R, 123 D

Nay: 174 R, 64 D
    4/14/2011--Introduced.
    National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 - Authorizes appropriations to the Department of Defense (DOD) for FY2012 for: (1) procurement, including for aircraft, missiles, weapons and tracked combat vehicles, ammunition, and shipbuilding and conversion; (2) the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Fund; (3) research, development, test, and evaluation; (4) operation and maintenance; (5) military personnel; (6) Working Capital Funds; (7) the National Defense Sealift Fund; (8) the Joint Urgent Operational Needs Fund; (9) chemical agents and munitions destruction; (10) drug interdiction and counter-drug activities; (11) the Defense Inspector General; (12) the Defense Health Program; (13) the Armed Forces Retirement Home; (14) overseas contingency operations; (15) chemical demilitarization; (16) the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Security Investment Program; (17) National Guard and reserve forces facilities; and (18) military base closure and realignment activities. Military Construction Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 - Authorizes appropriations for FY2012 for military construction, military family housing, and energy conservation projects. Sets forth provisions or requirements concerning: (1) military personnel policy; (2) education and training; (3) military pay and allowances; (4) acquisition policy and management; (5) DOD organization and management; (6) civilian personnel; and (7) matters relating to foreign nations.

I'm probably misreading something, but it looks like House Republicans voted heavily against military funding.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Brown's no moderate, he's just masquerading as one in a (hopefully futile) attempt to retain his seat next year. When McConnell cracks his whip, Brown jumps - there was no whipping this time.

Brown praised Paul Ryan's plan a few weeks ago and said he'd vote for it before he realized how politically stupid it was.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Note: not the general politics thread. If you want to petition the mods to let us have the Congress thread back, go ahead. The Medicare thing is relevant because it's pretty obviously going to be a major campaign issue and Newt was already forced to walk back his position on the issue.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That vote was relevant because it'll be used as an attack ad during the primaries if I'm reading right.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Brown praised Paul Ryan's plan a few weeks ago and said he'd vote for it before he realized how politically stupid it was.

Which means he's smarter than 90% of the GOP.

I'll take what I can get.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm expecting Newt Gingrich to take back his taking back of his criticism against the Ryan plan any day now.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    He doubled down today, actually.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'm expecting Newt Gingrich to take back his taking back of his criticism against the Ryan plan any day now.

And then come out strongly stating that anyone quoting his earlier quote about how people quoting him are liars, are lying.

Marathon on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Dude has a fucking gift of just perfect timing.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Newt just wants to be relevant so badly.

He's like that kid in the neighborhood that is a couple years younger than everyone else and keeps injecting himself into stuff that doesn't concern him because he wants to play with the cool kids.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm also going !Herman Cain. I think his biggest negative is low name recognition, and once everyone else has been discarded, republicans will turn to him.

I would like for it to be him, though not because I think he's a good candidate. I would like to think that the Republican voters aren't as racist as they largely appear.

I would like for that to be the case, but I in no way believe it.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Newt just wants to be relevant so badly.

He's like that kid in the neighborhood that is a couple years younger than everyone else and keeps injecting himself into stuff that doesn't concern him because he wants to play with the cool kids.

The thing is that prior to his recent bout of speaking truth to stupid that Newt had carved a lucrative niche as the "grand old ideas man" of the GOP. I'm pretty sure his attempt to run for President was originally intended as just a Trump-style way to burnish the Gingrich brand, but that hasn't exactly worked out too well.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Dude has a fucking gift of just perfect timing.

Well, they say that the convert is often more zealous than the person born into something. And I reckon the person converted through public humiliation is even more zealous than that. So Newt knows full well the penalty for back-sliding, he won't be doing that again.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I do normally refer to it as "Newt Gingrich's book is running for President" but decided to be straight in the OP.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Hoyer is so fucking useless.

Isn't Hoyer the same guy who, during the final hours leading up to the government shutdown, said "Hey, no worries, we're going to fold"?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I still remember watching Tom Daschle lose his senate seat despite being the party leader in the senate in 2004. His expression was...oh my. I want that for Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum so much. I wonder how crushing the numbers have to be for that to happen.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What, Santorum's last loss didn't give you a good enough photo?

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.