As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]roid

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    One should never say that a patient suffers from [disease].

Suffers is a bad word.

One should say "has".

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    So I just finished the El Shaddai demo.

That's an... odd game. I'm certainly happy that it is out there, that it exists, that someone made it. I'm just not 100% sure if the game is actually fun or not.

The combat is certainly stylistic, but, I worry that what is basically one button combat with three (I believe) weapons, even if you can vary attacks based on the rhythm you press the button and the duration you hold it, is going to lack depth and might get stale quick.

Yeah, I really wanted to like it because of the comparisons to Rez and the Kabbala themes but it just didn't grab me. Too button-mashy.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    So I just finished the El Shaddai demo.

That's an... odd game. I'm certainly happy that it is out there, that it exists, that someone made it. I'm just not 100% sure if the game is actually fun or not.

The combat is certainly stylistic, but, I worry that what is basically one button combat with three (I believe) weapons, even if you can vary attacks based on the rhythm you press the button and the duration you hold it, is going to lack depth and might get stale quick.

I thought it looked quite cool, but the combat was not my cup of tea. Shame.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    You know, I get the rage at sexual and gender stereotypes, but to me there's a difference between saying "(so and so public figure who's blatantly fucking homophobic) sounds like Paul Lynde, I wonder if he's gay since gosh that would be ironic and point out the tragedy of societal pressure creating self-loathing amongst closeted gay folks" and saying "(so and so teenage boy) sounds like a sissy, let's ship him off to a therapist so he can pray the gay away since beating him up and threatening to kick him out hasn't worked."
    This is a big argument in the queer community. When we go out into non-queer spaces, we see homos everywhere that are with their wives and children. Do we tell their families or do we let them walk both worlds in denial? It can be very frustrating.

How is this even an argument? The answer is no. You let the person self discover.

And what criteria are you using to identify the closet cases? Is it some sort of pre-defined set of traits that may or may not be accurate in every situation?
    Oh, it becomes an issue when they try to define our community or attack or berate us or push ideologies that hurt us. Outrage is a pretty interesting documentary about a guy who actively outs congresspeople that are anti-gay. I don't necessarily agree with what he does, but when people who clearly are part of our community but want to pretend they aren't start trying to regulate us, I think something has to be done.

There is no good way to identify closet cases. Some closet cases have homosexual affectations that they have tried to cover up over time or they have an exaggerated straightness, or we totally saw them in the gay bar two days ago. It isn't systematic and no one runs around with a checklist but you can kind of tell when a young couple that just got Christian married to finally have sex is living a weird, played out lie.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Time to get going. See you guys.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    People have the right to live our their sexuality as they elect to, even if they choose to deny it and hide from it and run away from it or whatever.

That is their own choice to make.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Daxon wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:
    You know, I get the rage at sexual and gender stereotypes, but to me there's a difference between saying "(so and so public figure who's blatantly fucking homophobic) sounds like Paul Lynde, I wonder if he's gay since gosh that would be ironic and point out the tragedy of societal pressure creating self-loathing amongst closeted gay folks" and saying "(so and so teenage boy) sounds like a sissy, let's ship him off to a therapist so he can pray the gay away since beating him up and threatening to kick him out hasn't worked."
    This is a big argument in the queer community. When we go out into non-queer spaces, we see homos everywhere that are with their wives and children. Do we tell their families or do we let them walk both worlds in denial? It can be very frustrating.

How is this even an argument? The answer is no. You let the person self discover.

And what criteria are you using to identify the closet cases? Is it some sort of pre-defined set of traits that may or may not be accurate in every situation?

Well, you see, straight people are like this. Gay people are like this.

Duh

Did you know that this was once a real joke by a real comedian, and that the Futurama joke was an homage/parody?

Sheep on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zampanov wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

I decided to assume they mean people they know for sure are gay by interacting with them.

Well, Fuzzy can speak for himself, but where I've encountered arguments like this is regarding gay men who are actively cheating on their wives.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    thats fantastically shortsighted and honestly a bit insulting fuzzy.

The idea that being gay gives you some kind of right to criticize or control anyone else's sexuality is pretty demented

• Options
    TL,DR wrote:
    LearnedHand keeps making new alts and posting in the internet dating thread. He just won't stop lately. He has the most noticeable writing style too. It's so easy to madlib his robot speech that is weirdly focused on race.
    Lawndart wrote:

Is there a compelling reason that the rule shouldn't be to never out someone, with a possible (situational) exception for strongly homophobic public figures?
    Not usually. I would never do it.

• Options
    What happens when you out a straight person that you were 100% certain wasn't?

• Options

The idea that being gay gives you some kind of right to criticize or control anyone else's sexuality is pretty demented
    what where does that come from

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Res, I need to play me some Child of Eden. Had the disc for a week now and haven't touched it.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Now if someone would just take the combat and sense of humor from God Hand, and cram it into El Shaddai's art and themes.

God.

I would be the happiest man.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Speaking of Res, I need to play me some Child of Eden. Had the disc for a week now and haven't touched it.

Give it to me.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

Duh

Did you know that this was once a real joke by a real comedian, and that the Futurama joke was an homage/parody?

What seriously? I didn't even know about the Futurama one!

I was just being facetious.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Can Child of Eden be played with a controller? If so, is it better than with Kinect? Worse?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

What? You leave them alone with their misery since it's nobody's business to out them but their own selves. How is this even an argument?

• Options

It sounds to me like he's relating a discussion he's had, not arguing for a particular position.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:

You have to pick up the whole discard pile?

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

Is there a compelling reason that the rule shouldn't be to never out someone, with a possible (situational) exception for strongly homophobic public figures?

That's pretty much where I stand on the issue. I don't really care for "outing" public figures who aren't actively supporting homophobic groups or causes.

Forcibly outing a private citizen simply because they're still in the closet doesn't seem to serve any constructive purpose that outweighs the damage it could do.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:

You have to pick up the whole discard pile?

You asshole I just sprayed water all over my monitor god damn it man!

• Options
    I do not advocate outing people willy nilly. I do advocate ignoring people who play halfsies and will acknowledge me in the gay bar but not make eye contact in public.

• Options
    Can Child of Eden be played with a controller? If so, is it better than with Kinect? Worse?

I haven't played it yet... but yes it can be played with a controller, and the reviews have said that to get the really difficult achievements you pretty much have to, but Kinect mode is more fun for casual play.

• Options

Yeah, you can use a controller. I have a kinect but don't use it because having to move furniture to wave at my TV is so completely retarded.

Anyone want to buy a kinect?

• Options
    This was a discussion I had by the way, I have not and will never out random people. That would be terrible.

• Options
    As a straight guy, I never understood the necessity or the concept of "coming out". I never had to "come out" about who I liked to bone. Largely because I felt that it was so completely unimportant that it's stupid.

Basically, I wish it was a situation where homosexuality isn't a thing to come out about. Or that sexuality itself wasn't a thing. Or that, we had separate definitions based completely on who likes to bone who because, under certain circumstances, anyone would be willing to bone anybody.

Put two super straight guys on an island forever and they will eventually get it on.

Labels are stupid. I guess. To sum it up in a childish manner.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Good points, guys. Thanks. Not that I won't still obsess, but a lot less.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    my post keeps getting saved when I expect to not be and it keeps catching me off guard

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sheep wrote:
    As a straight guy, I never understood the necessity or the concept of "coming out". I never had to "come out" about who I liked to bone. Largely because I felt that it was so completely unimportant that it's stupid.

Basically, I wish it was a situation where homosexuality isn't a thing to come out about. Or that sexuality itself wasn't a thing. Or that, we had separate definitions based completely on who likes to bone who because, under certain circumstances, anyone would be willing to bone anybody.

Put two super straight guys on an island forever and they will eventually get it on.

We exist in the exact opposite of that ideal world, though. So it is kind of hard for us. ):

• Options
    Lawndart wrote:
    Forcibly outing a private citizen simply because they're still in the closet doesn't seem to serve any constructive purpose that outweighs the damage it could do.

The most recent situation I encountered this with involved a gay man who was actively cheating on his wife with other men and had contracted an STI. Not HIV, but still a nasty little bug.

So then you're not just asking yourself, "should I out him for being gay," you're also asking yourself, "should I tell his wife that she might be at risk for contracting an STI?"

We can talk about these issues in abstract but there's often going to be major complicating circumstances for any real-life situation.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:

We exist in the exact opposite of that ideal world, though. So it is kind of hard for us. ):
    I would add that we have to come out because the assumption is that we are straight. I also argue that because we are minority, we have a unique cultural identity. That identity will probably integrate better as queers become more integrated.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:

It would be wonderful living in this fantasy land!

Also Child of Eden will apparently also be for PS3. I am excited about many things now!

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I do not advocate outing people willy nilly. I do advocate ignoring people who play halfsies and will acknowledge me in the gay bar but not make eye contact in public.

Yeah that makes sense

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:
    Sheep wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

Duh

Oh, wow. Hah! Yes.

Futurama had a little thing like, "People from Mars walk like this. Oooo. Ahooo. People from Earth walk like this. Owhuh. Owhuh." And, well, that's kind of a meme or something. And most folks I guess didn't know that that was a big time joke for a comedian back in the 80s.

I figured you were taking part of the meme! But it's pretty awesome that you just threw that out there.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:

This is more or less how the world was before the 1800s and still is in a lot of places.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:

Well no duh you never had to come out, you also never had to hide your sexuality. Your sexuality fell in line with what was accepted. You were always told that your sexual preference was right, normal, healthy, correct, whatever. Your sexual preference doesn't have giant, huge cultural stigmas against it, etc. Being openly gay can get you ostracized, harassed, even killed. Coming out isn't just about labels, its about coming to terms with your sexuality, owning your sexuality, proclaiming it, if even to a few people, etc.

• Options
    Basically, I have developed a series of complex equations to determine how much of a fag you are and I am posting the results on a new website called www.everyoneyouknowissomesortoffag.com.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    This was a discussion I had by the way, I have not and will never out random people. That would be terrible.

Do you have friends or personally know people who have outed closeted gays behind their back? Who put this idea in your head that this is a thing that should be done? Who represents the other side of the argument?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Sheep wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

Duh

Oh, wow. Hah! Yes.

Futurama had a little thing like, "People from Mars walk like this. Oooo. Ahooo. People from Earth walk like this. Owhuh. Owhuh." And, well, that's kind of a meme or something. And most folks I guess didn't know that that was a big time joke for a comedian back in the 80s.

I figured you were taking part of the meme! But it's pretty awesome that you just threw that out there.

The meme/joke is poking fun at bad comedians

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.