Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's Play: Golden Sun (Chapter 20: The Two Towe- I mean, Lighthouses) (NSF56k)

TerrendosTerrendos Decorative MonocleRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
golden_sun_logo.png

Golden Sun is a Game Boy Advance game made by Camelot Software Planning and published by Nintendo. It was released in 2001 as one of the first major RPGs for the then-new system. It boasted amazing graphics...

UnleashGaiaBlade.png

A brilliant mix of puzzle-based and combat-based styles...

UtilityMove.png

A deep, rich world...

ValePlaza.png

And a lot of dialogue. A lot of dialogue.

116nkoo.jpg

It's not as bad in the first game, but the second and third games are worse. I recall spending an hour or so just clicking through one of the more important cutscenes in the sequel, Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

It also had a very colorful cast:

0.jpg

I say colorful because they are color coded for your convenience! How so? Well...

The tale of Golden Sun takes place in the land known as Weyard, where long ago, an ancient power known as Alchemy granted people the power to control the four elements: Air, Water, Fire, and Earth, sometimes known as Jupiter, Mercury, Mars, and Venus, respectively. This ancient power turned the world against itself, and brutally violent wars raged due to the greed of man. To save Weyard from being completely destroyed by the power of Alchemy, it was sealed away. At the time of the game, the study of Alchemy is restricted to people known as "Adepts" who live in insular communities, while the remainder of the world remains ignorant of its existence. The world lives in a quiet, peaceful slumber. But this is about to change.

Anyway, the reason I say they're color coded is because you can make a pretty solid guess as to each one's respective "element" based on the color of their clothes.

So, enough about that, let's get started! This will be a hybrid Let's Play, meaning that I'll be mostly using pictures, but I'll also add videos of important parts. For the sake of you guys, I'm also going to cut out some of the "tutorial" bits and pieces and explain the unclear mechanics myself. Also I probably won't be posting every conversation with every NPC because holy crap that would take forever.

Cast of Characters

Team Isaac:
Spoiler:

Team Jerkface:
Spoiler:

Team Afterthought:
Spoiler:

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Terrendos on
Sig1.png

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Do a nuzlocke run. With charmander.

camo_sig2.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I would love to see an LP of Pokemon Yellow.

Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
  • Shady3011Shady3011 they cant troll you if there dead Registered User regular
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Ninja Five-0.

xmassig2.gif
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As good as the capcom zeldas were, I'd say golden sun is hands down the best out of that list. My question is as someone who could never get his hands on part 2 is will you do the full game?
    Spoiler:

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    Golden Sun hands down.

Borderlands 2 on Steam & League of Legends: Ephemis
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Golden Sun

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Malechai wrote:
    As good as the capcom zeldas were, I'd say golden sun is hands down the best out of that list. My question is as someone who could never get his hands on part 2 is will you do the full game?
    Spoiler:

The Lost Age is actually the better of the two games (IMO). However it's also a whole lot longer and a whole lot more dialogue-heavy. I'm concerned about my drive to be able to get all the way through both of them, so I'd only commit to doing Golden Sun 1.

Sig1.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    You should play Klonoa. That game was excellent.

JKKaAGp.png
    I've gotten a couple of PMs wanting one of the first gen Pokemon games, so I'm inclined to lean in that direction. I'll hold my final decision for another few days though.

Sig1.png
    I've decided on Golden Sun. OP is updated.

Sig1.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    Isaac: Cloud
    Garet: Crass
    Ivan: Lucas
    Mia: Class
    Felix: Squal
    Jenna: Hitit
    Sheba: Glass
    Piers: Fanny
    Spoiler:

l8kt.png
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    My vote would be to keep all the names their original, since they're actually mostly decent names. Also make sure you get alllllll the djinnlings!

Steam ID - Syphyreal --- 3DS Friend Code: 2723-9387-1002
  • Emerlmaster999Emerlmaster999 Sleepy Ferrets Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, keep the original names.

Man, I really need to unearth my old GBA and replay these excellent games.

Emerlmaster999 on
    3DS: 0344-9387-2002 / PS4: MisterBeeb123
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Hahahahaha

Pretty nicely timed; I just finished the base work on a Pathfinder system semi-inspired by Golden Sun a few days ago.

Thirding keeping the original names.

UA1OmVB.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Terr, you should clearly rename everybody after forumers in a hopeless attempt to win internet friends and keep people reading during the boring parts

I feel as if this is acceptable operating procedure.

Daypigeon on
    edited August 2011
    Chapter 0 (Prologue): It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
    Spoiler:

Terrendos on
    Sig1.png
    (cont'd)
    Spoiler:

Sig1.png
    Goddamnit that last image. Now I've got the title theme stuck in my head.

Camelot's music is always excellent. I've never been able to get Shining Force or Golden Sun music out of my head.

it just... remains there. Just waiting to flood my head. Belruel had a sig/avvie combination for Shining Force 2 awhile ago that put the title theme in my head every. single. damn. time.

UA1OmVB.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    why would you keep linking to tvtropes?!?

you monster

• babypp2babypp2 Registered User
    MechMantis wrote:
    Camelot's music is always excellent. I've never been able to get Shining Force or Golden Sun music out of my head.

This is an excellent point. I suggest adding a youtuberepeat link for some of the fantastic places you're going to visit and the awesome boss battles you're going to encounter to increase the immersion. Sol Sanctum, The Elemental Stars, Venus Lighthouse, why so good, Motoi Sakuraba?

l8kt.png
    I agree, music linking would be good in some places. Excellent start good sir!

I will attempt to include songs that I like during their relevant points in the game. I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll see if I can get another chapter out before then, and once the plot is in full swing I'll start posting character descriptions.

Sig1.png
    I think we should get a say in what classes you use.

Man don't do that, I'll be analyzing all the classes and go back to my class masterness like when I was playing :P

I never really did that in the first since you were limited to just 7 Djinn of each element, but since I never used Ivan, Sheba, Piers, or Garet in Lost Age, I was free to dish out Djinn amongst the 4 that were actually fighting to my liking.

Think I used Isaac as a Ninja, Felix as a Ronin, Jenna as a Paladin, and Mia as a Pure Mage.

My line of thought was always which class suited who best, resulting IIRC in Protector (Isaac) Ronin (Felix), Chaos Lord (Garret), War Adept (Jenna), Wizard (Ivan), Necromage (Sheba), Pure Mage (Mia) and Piers gets the rest as he's a bit of a tosser. I usually had lots of Jupiter djinns in my team, since summoning Catastrophe is AWSUM. Never got tired of watching that reel. Doubly useful as it boosts Excalibur's unleash to ridiculous numbers.

All this talk makes me wish Camelot would make a fourth entry in the series...

l8kt.png
    Yeah, the Isaac/Felix/Jenna/Mia combo is what I used as well.

And I'm just happy they made a third entry :D Can't wait for a fourth. I'm also glad they made some more unique classes in DD for the elements. What I -wish- DD had was a hard mode.

Back to the LP, I think the very first Djinn should go on Garet *nods sagely*

edited August 2011
    Chapter 1: Wherein Terrendos Realizes the Exact Depths of the Hole He Dug Himself
    Spoiler:

Terrendos on
    Sig1.png
    (cont'd)
    Spoiler:

Sig1.png
  • ArteenArteen I'm gonna clean up this world yet! Stop polluting!Registered User regular
    I actually like the talky bits in the first two games, but Dark Dawn takes inane wordiness to a whole other level.

sig_ap_001_zps3e5ddaa1.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    oh man, sub-fucking-scribed so hard

the golden sun series remains one of my absolute favorites ever.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy | blog
    Yeah, most of Dark Dawn's dialouge was just, "We're gonna be the new Warriors of Vale, yay." At least GS and TLA's were actual story-related, even if they drew out actual explanations.

Never made much sense how the Adepts of Vale say that you can't let anyone see your magic powers, yet they just let Kraden waltz on in even though he can't cast spells.

• DarisDaris Registered User regular
    The boulder feels he makes a fine addition to the story. It was wrong of them to write him out so early!

BTW- http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/AvatarTheLastAirbender?from=Main.ptitlemxi508a6

Borderlands 2 on Steam & League of Legends: Ephemis
    Chapter 2: No Indiana Jones References
    Spoiler:

Sig1.png
    (cont'd)
    Spoiler:

Sig1.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Oh shieeeetttt.

I love golden sun, though I agree dark dawn was something of a dissapointment. When I first joined the forums my avatar was a Venus dinjin for a while.

Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Well here I was about to complain that your images were broken and it's just taking forever for them to load. Forgot just how pretty this game is. I may have to hit up amazon see if I can get the second two games for less than my first born.

sig5ez4.jpg
    YOU FORGOT SOMETHING!

This music starts the moment you enter the Elemental Star chamber place thing.

UA1OmVB.png