Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Terraria V1.2! Now with 10% more adventure!!

MightyMighty Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Games and Technology
Mighty wrote:
Logo.png

What is this game? to put it simply, you are given an open world, that is randomly generated, and you explore, build, defend, and destroy!!

1.2 is REAL. YEAH!!
Spoiler:
Servers!
Spoiler:

Fight giant bosses!!
ss11.png

Explore caves!!
ss12.png

Try not to die!!
12013.jpg
ss1.png

http://www.terraria.org/

The wiki is here http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki
it has everything you could ever want.

There are now a pantload of threads on reddit, and lets plays on youtube to watch about the gameplay.

having trouble with your first night? heres a tutorial video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVs7ETVsgRc

Mighty on
steam_sig.png
Gamertag - Mightyvvhitey

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post Registered User regular
    Well there go my evenings.

and this sig. and this blog..
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    Orb of light is really bad now. 8(

bethryn.png
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    I just realized that as exciting as the patch is, there's no real new content.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Finally I can build a giant golden toilet structure with a molten bowl, and then fill it with toilets.

PSN:GeneiDjinn XBL:Top Hat Panda Steam:Top Hat Panda Battle.net:Walt#1813
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote:
    Orb of light is really bad now. 8(

You're not kidding. It's about as bright as a furnace now.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    This new Hellstone thing is fucking hilarious. Who woulda thought we'd ever look back on the early versions of Hell as being easier? :P

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Yeah, Hell is now incredibly dark and mining is arghfghlkfjgh.

bethryn.png
  • WeedkillerWeedkiller Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So the orb is nigh worthless now and the meteor and molten sets no longer give off light. I guess everyone is going back to using torches all the time. I'm not sure what I think of that. Does the mining helmet work if it's in the vanity slot?

P.S. Sweet new door textures.

Weedkiller on
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    Weedkiller wrote:
    So the orb is nigh worthless now and the meteor and molten sets no longer give off light. I guess everyone is going back to using torches all the time. I'm not sure what I think of that. Does the mining helmet work if it's in the vanity slot?

Unfortunately not, torches all the way I guess.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah Terraria guys, I don't think I'll be starting a new guy. I like my light-generating pickaxe and armor set, thanks.

3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

Vuh?
    New Enemy : Spike Ball (An Immortal Enemy.)
    New Enemy : Blazing Wheel (An Immortal Enemy.)
    New Enemy : Dungeon Slime (Contains Golden Keys)
    New Enemy : Goblin Scout
    New Item : Shadow Key
    New Item : Golden Key
    New Item : Shadow Chest (These require the Shadow Key)
    New Item : Obsidian Background Walls
    New item : Mud Background Walls
    New Item : Jungle Spore (Replaces Jungle Rose in former crafting uses.)
    New Item : Tattered Cloth
    New Item : Battle Standard (Allows for manual starting of the Goblin Invasion)
    New Item : Piano
    New Item : Loom (Crafting Station, Now required for crafting most clothes from silk.)
    New Item : Bench
    New item : Dresser
    New Item : Bathtub
    New Item : Red Banner
    New Item : Green Banner
    New Item : Blue Banner
    New Item : Yellow Banner
    New Item : Lamp Post
    New Item : Tiki Torch
    New Item : Barrel
    New Item : Chinese Lantern
    New Item : Cooking Pot
    New Item : Safe (A separate private storage from the Piggy Bank.)
    New Item : Skull Lantern
    New Item : Trash Can
    New Item : Candelabra
    New Item : Pink Jar
    New Item : Mug
    New Item : Beer Keg
    New Item : Beer
    New Item : Bookcase
    New Item : Throne
    New Item : Bowl
    New Item : Bowl of Soup
    New Item : Toilet
    New Item : Grandfather Clock
    New Item : Statue

• grouch993grouch993 Registered User regular
    Some of the changes sound sort of disappointing. My hellstone brick house will no longer glow?

Will end up trying it out with the kids tonight and see if our nightly game will be changing.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    Yeah Terraria guys, I don't think I'll be starting a new guy. I like my light-generating pickaxe and armor set, thanks.

Is there a set other than the meteor and molten ones that gave off light? Because those two no longer give off any. The molten one at least still leaves a trail of sparks, but they don't actually illuminate anything.

Actually, Flamelash is decent for light. Obviously not as handy as the orb, you have to hold the button down, and you won't regen mana while you have it out, but you can direct the light to where you want and it serves as a weapon in a pinch.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What is a demon alter?

BN_Sig3.jpg
    Weedkiller wrote:

Is there a set other than the meteor and molten ones that gave off light? Because those two no longer give off any. The molten one at least still leaves a trail of sparks, but they don't actually illuminate anything.

Worst patch ever, then. I'll wait for the next one to see if they fix it.

Magic Pink wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Vuh?
    Spoiler:

New stuff to decorate with yeah, but I want new things to do in the game like to dig to, or build up to if they redo floating islands. Just rebalancing the currently existing stuff isn't enough for me.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Darn it steam. I could have sworn I set it to not autoupdate terraria

camo_sig2.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    So now you can make a bathroom and one of the NPCs will take ownership of it. Neat.

I think.

camo_sig2.png
  • IceBurnerIceBurner Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The gross reduction in incidental light sources is hugely disappointing for those of us who have rigs which are just fine with it. Especially since the Underworld now simply looks like just another dark cave and not the blazing inferno it was before.

I think the next version demands lighting options.

There's also a few changes not on the official change list which were previously mentioned in the developers' blog, namely that removing background walls has been sped up by a factor of 2 and that when placing background walls, the game will actually fill in small gaps by magic, without using any extra tiles from your inventory.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    Pokémon SoulSilver: 4383 4365 0505 | Pokémon White 2: 3827 1506 3680
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
  • MadpandaMadpanda Registered User regular
    Without seeing it, i would welcome hell being a little darker. The hellstone "sea of candles" type effect made my eyes hurt.

"Hellstone now spawns lava when it is mined, but only in the underworld."

Is there another source for hellstone? Or is this just to prevent creation of lava essentially anywhere you want?

Either way looking forward to starting a new world/char tonight.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Madpanda wrote:
    Without seeing it, i would welcome hell being a little darker. The hellstone "sea of candles" type effect made my eyes hurt.

"Hellstone now spawns lava when it is mined, but only in the underworld."

Is there another source for hellstone? Or is this just to prevent creation of lava essentially anywhere you want?

Either way looking forward to starting a new world/char tonight.

I assume it's so if you mine out a wall of your hellstone house you don't get drowned in lava.
    Something I read elsewhere that's apparently not in the patch notes: you can't place stone or dirt inside lava anymore. In other words, no replacing it for safety reasons or so that you can mine through it. Not sure if this is also true for water.

Oh that's crap. I'm liking this patch less and less...

Warlock82 on
    Nintendo Network ID: Warlock
    3DS Friend Code: 4983-4927-6699
    Steam ID: warlock82

WarlockSoL.jpg
    Something I read elsewhere that's apparently not in the patch notes: you can't place stone or dirt inside lava anymore. In other words, no replacing it for safety reasons or so that you can mine through it. Not sure if this is also true for water.

• chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User
    Episode 1 in my 1.06 Let's Play is up on my Youtube channel now:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WillieTannerBuilds#p/a

WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • IceBurnerIceBurner Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The balance changes do make it harder, but the life restoration works really well for the occasional wound, which is what you want to be suffering anyway. A band of regeneration stacks with that and makes it all pretty manageable. Enemy AI tweaks are great and the bug that let jungle stingers brokenly chase you underwater has been fixed.

Lava however, is ridiculously deadly as it will set you on fire and keep killing you even after you get out. Going to mine Hellstone is suicide unless you have ample Obsidian Skin potions. It's effectively a prerequisite now.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    Pokémon SoulSilver: 4383 4365 0505 | Pokémon White 2: 3827 1506 3680
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
  • minor incidentminor incident a crow, a scavenger type Registered User regular
    So, uh, forgive me if this goes without saying, but is this game basically Minecraft 2D? Because it looks awfully tempting on the Steam sale today. Is it basically that sort of building/mining, but with more combat?

My sister needs some help. She just had to rush her cat to the emergency clinic because he was peeing blood. The little guy needs a $2500 surgery to survive, and she has no money left after paying for major car repairs last week. If you would consider sharing this on your twitter/facebook/whatever, that would be greatly appreciated. If you have a few dollars to pitch in and help her, that would be even more amazing of you. http://www.gofundme.com/clq06k
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    So, uh, forgive me if this goes without saying, but is this game basically Minecraft 2D? Because it looks awfully tempting on the Steam sale today. Is it basically that sort of building/mining, but with more combat?
    Minecraft 2D is a pretty good quick summary. Bigger focus on killing dudes and related things (alchemy to make you better at killing dudes, weapons/armor to make killing dudes easier, etc). Both very heavy on exploring and crafting.

PSN:GeneiDjinn XBL:Top Hat Panda Steam:Top Hat Panda Battle.net:Walt#1813
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    rushing the new thread a little bit don't you think mighty? still had 63 pages to go

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    Weedkiller wrote:

P.S. Sweet new door textures.

I just use a stockpile of thsoe Shine potions. Require very little to craft.

QlBGc.jpg
    Yeah I just confirmed it, no placing blocks inside lava, but you can still do it with water.

• grouch993grouch993 Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:
    What is a demon alter?

"alter"? That is a change. So it would be an altered demon.

"Altar"? That is some form of table used for worship. So it would be some table looking thing with squiggly arms at the top and little motes of corruption floating up from it.

Also in line with this response is the comment, "everyone likes a little, no one likes it smart".

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I want to start a new game up for me and some friends to play online. Should I go with a medium or large world - any downsides either way? None of us have really played too much.

Monster Hunter 3GU - hastur23 (WiiU) - geek - bgg geek page - Looking for pilots! - Combat Flight Sim thread
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    If you are just playing privately with friends small and medium worlds are big enough. Large worlds tend to be unwieldy with how long it takes to traverse them.

And somebody please get some servers up to rock these new features.

Duke 2.0 on
    mXHju9T.png
    お誕生日おめでとうございます!
    rushing the new thread a little bit don't you think mighty? still had 63 pages to go

He can't edit the original thread, or so he says.

- @Ludious
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Seems to me that, Large maps are best for hardcore characters as everything will be more spread out, and you don't find the dungeon right away while looking for a cave. Also, don't mine around the dungeon if you haven't beat Skeletron or he'll instakill you instantly, learned that the hard way.

I'd be more willing to make a large world when there's more content to fill it. The small world is adequate enough for me, playing by myself, to space out currently existing stuff to do.

- @Ludious
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    First world made post 1.0.6 and the merchant wouldn't spawn and I couldn't see anything wrong...
    Spoiler:

and didn't find anything immediately out of place or missing. so I went searching and found...
    Spoiler:

It took me nearly 4 hours to build that starter house. Yay corruption.

The benefit to making large maps is that there are more of the biome-related chests. So you'll have a better chance of getting all the items that you find in ocean, floating island, dungeon and underworld chests. If you make a small or medium world, it's more likely there'll only be enough items for one person, if that.

bethryn.png
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User
    There were a total of 4 shadow chests in my medium hell. Granted, they were all rare items. Not liking the lighting changes.

MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So much new stuff. I haven't played since May. I'm at my parent's house tonight on their computer about to hop into it again.

Also, I'm sure it's been said but 5 bucks for this game is an awesome deal. Don't pass it up.

anoffday on
    steam_sig.png