As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime D&D Gathering Thread

PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you.in Beach CityRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
If you are coming to PAX Prime this year and you want to see some of your fellow D&D folk then this is the thread for you.

Going to be around? Make a post here in the thread with !signup included in it in some noticeable fashion (so I can spot it, I'm sure there will be many of you), I will add you to the list in the OP - this is mostly just to make planning easier. For bigger gatherings (like if we do another dinner) I'll include info here as well.

Got ideas for gatherings? ANY gatherings? Doesn't matter if it's listed in the OP or not, this is where you can post them/plan them/discuss them - central location, as it were. If you want your gathering listed in the OP, lemme know.

Got ideas for just general gathering/eating places (say, near the Convention Center?) that people might wanna check out? Post about 'em, I'll try to include them in the OP too, so visitors can have options.

Ok, go!

People List
Amateurhour
BlackDragon480
Desc
Dyrwen66
Gim
Incenjucar
Infidel
Lion
Lochiel
Mazzyx
McDermott
Mom2Kat
Passerbye
PotatoNinja
Preacher
Premier Kakos
Schrodinger
Senjutsu
Simonwolf
Stilist
Thanatos

Place List
Key:
restaurant
bar
*both*

The Still (Quieter bar, good for sipping scotch.)
*McMenamins Six Arms* (Think American pub. Good burgers.)
Rancho Bravo (Actually authentic Mexican.)
Pho Thai (Good pho, ok everything else.)
Rock Box (Karaoke rooms and bar)
Linda's Tavern (Punk music and a good beer selection.)
*Elysian Brewery* (Micro-brewery restaurant, good food.)
*Quinn's Pub* (Somewhat more fine-dining, locally sourced.)
Ayutthaya Thai Cuisine (Ok Thai food, nice atmosphere.)
*The Garage* (Pool/Bowling/Food)
Ristorante Machiavelli (Very good Italian food, nice atmosphere.)
Vito's (Italian food.)
Ipanema (Meat, meat, more meat, cooked very nicely. Salad bar.)
*Blue C Sushi* 7th Ave Location (Great sushi.)
*Dragonfish Cafe* (Ok food, nice atmosphere. Kinda yuppy.)
Annapurna Cafe (Good Nepalese/Tibetan/Indian cuisine, friendly wait staff.)
Old School Frozen Custard (Really good frozen custard. Bit of a walk.)
Molly Moon's Ice Cream Shop Capitol Hill Location (Very good ice cream, nice location.)
*The Brooklyn*

Gatherings (in chronological order)

Thans' Happy Hour
When: Thursday
Where: Sazerac starting at 5pm.
See this post for details.

Pho Thai Dinner
When: Thursday
Where: Pho Thai starting at 730pm.

D&D Fancy Dinner
When: Friday, exact time Tentatively 9pm?
Where: Tentatively Capitol Club?
Who all wants to come (this is so making reservations can be easier):
Preacher+1
Passerbye+1
Dyrwen
Mazzyx
Mom2Kat+1
Desc
Premier Kakos
BlackDragon480
AmateurHour+1
Infidel
Thanatos
Senjutsu+1
Simonwolf
Lion+1
Stilist
McDermott
Gim

Bowling
When: Saturday 3-7 pm
Where: The Garage

Cheesery
When: Sunday, 11 am.
Where: Starting at Calf & Kid. Wear comfy walking shoes, bring water if you'll need it, and of course $$ for cheese, bread, fruit, etc.
Who all wants to come (no more than 6, please!):
Mazzyx +2
Desc

Passerbye on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'll be in town for the prime shenanigans as always.

!Sign Up!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Me me me me me me!

!signup

desc on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I am down again. sign me up

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm interested, unless things get too kinky...

Actually I'm interested either way.

!signup

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    !SIGN UP!

I will be there of course.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Bumping in case people don't see this and wring their hands in nerdy anxiety

edit: god damn it mazz

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    !Sign Up

Will be bringing the husband with me. We are up for anything. Our hotel is across from denny park so it seems we are pretty good for transit/walking maybe driving as we will have our vehicle with us.

*SQUEEEEEEEEE*

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Bumping, so it's not missed.

Will one of the mods please sticky this already? PAX is in three weeks, eh?

• Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    Woo, I shall be there. Naturally, I suppose.

Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    hex yes

I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Only reason I have a forum account is for PAX.

!signup

• Options
    So, yeah, maybe we peruse the usual hangouts. Or maybe we go farther up hill and venture to the new bars around Cal Anderson park, like karaoke places or Linda's punk bar.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm up for PAXvents on Friday night or Saturday. I plan on making the most out of Saturday PAX, since that's the only day I have, but I can of course get to anywhere. We should probably figure out price, distance, and time before specific locations. Also if there are any under-21s we need to factor in. There are sooo many breweries and pubs.

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote:
    I'm up for PAXvents on Friday night or Saturday. I plan on making the most out of Saturday PAX, since that's the only day I have, but I can of course get to anywhere. We should probably figure out price, distance, and time before specific locations. Also if there are any under-21s we need to factor in. There are sooo many breweries and pubs.

Under-21s can let us know in advance, that's their prerogative. For your average large gathering (I'm thinking the dinner, remember last year) we wouldn't start off going anywhere that an under-21 couldn't go anyway.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2011
    Oh, I'll be there, I gueeesssss.

!signup

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Am I the only out of towner that doesn't like the Six Arms?

• Options
    I like the Still for its ambiance more than the 6 arms. But that is more just liquor and that doesn't help the young folk or with food.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I'm an intowner and I don't like it, its the smell if there is such a thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:

Peanuts and Rectum... if I recall. Also the service sucked. We got booted for either drinking too much or not enough, or maybe it's because I have a southern accent and servers in Seattle are location biased.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:

Peanuts and Rectum... if I recall. Also the service sucked. We got booted for either drinking too much or not enough, or maybe it's because I have a southern accent and servers in Seattle are location biased.

Weird, every time I've been there the service has been fine. YMMV, apparently.

There other places to go, though, so no worries.

• Options
    Can I put up phothai? That place was good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Edit: This is not the chat thread

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Can I put up phothai? That place was good.

It's been on the list since yesterday. ;-)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Well then I am voting Thai of some sort and Rockbox for the after party because Japanese karaoke is the best. Wish it was nomihodai though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Well then I am voting Thai of some sort and Rockbox for the after party because Japanese karaoke is the best. Wish it was nomihodai though.

Ok, that's the first suggestion. Once more people stumble across the thread I'm sure we'll get more, then we can really start discussing.

Rock Box does sound like fun, doesn't it? :)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    My vote is for some place other than asian food, everyone always wants asian food. Lets be different go italian or something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    My vote is for some place other than asian food, everyone always wants asian food. Lets be different go italian or something.
    Italiasian.

Kung pao gnocchi.

Tofu pesto.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I had a delicious bowl of Italian-influenced tomato ramen in Osaka, actually

also signup

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Preacher wrote:

I don't know of many good Italian restaurants within a reasonable distance. Machiavelli comes to mind, but they're tiny and it's too late for us to make reservations in time for a big group. You, @Thanatos, and @RiemannLives know the restaurants around here a bit better, do you have any suggestions?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Preacher wrote:

It...Italian? There's literally 2 Italian places within about 30 blocks of us. There's the one she mentioned, and Vito's, up on Madison, an old gangster joint from the 50s that does okay food, but it's a little out of the way. They're certainly an option though. There's also the possibility of Ipanema's Brazillian grill, for a huge buffet/meat on a stick option for a big party.

Dyrwen66 on
  • Options
    Dyr makes a good point - the predominant food around downtown Seattle and Capitol Hill is either Asian or American-ish with a smattering of Mexican. Italian isn't very common.

• Options
    Asian and Mexican would be my preferences. But I can east both pretty much constantly.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    This isn't a huge Italian city. There's Buca di Beppo's, which is a bit of a schlep from the convention center, but absolutely walkable. They actually handle groups pretty well, and the food is pretty good, just kind of generic, and while not super-expensive, also isn't all that cheap, especially if you get a couple bottles of wine with it. There's also The Old Spaghetti Factory, which is in Belltown, similar food quality from what I've heard, good for groups, but I have never been there.

My suggestion would actually be Mama's Mexican Food over in Belltown. Again, a bit of a schlep from the convention center, but they have some good burritos, and overall good American-style Mexican food. Those of you from California are not going to be impressed, though, I'm afraid. And seating may be a little difficult (they don't take reservations).

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Seattle Italian is mostly variations on thin-crust pizza unless you're going to Fancy Money places. There ARE some additional Italian options I know of, but they're all the way up on 15th, and I've only ever had pizza at them. Probably options deeper downtown, too.

Also, regarding Quinn's, don't forget the issue we had with party size last year. If we get enough people, it'll be a non-option.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Seattle Italian is mostly variations on thin-crust pizza unless you're going to Fancy Money places. There ARE some additional Italian options I know of, but they're all the way up on 15th, and I've only ever had pizza at them. Probably options deeper downtown, too.

Also, regarding Quinn's, don't forget the issue we had with party size last year. If we get enough people, it'll be a non-option.

The list of restaurants/etc. in the OP is a general list of near (or relatively near) places for people to go to if they want to (since I'm sure out-of-towners would like other options besides Cheesecake Factory), not only suggestions for another D&D dinner.

• Options
    It doesn't have to be italian, its just that for 2 years running we've done asian, I wouldn't mind something different. Though on thursday I'll probably just be there for drinks as I'm taking AH and his wife to the blazing onion for lunch/early dinner.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    It's hard to find good sushi outside of the coasts, Preacher.

I mean, you can get it anytime you want, so it's no big deal, but if you're from out of town, it's a special treat.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    It doesn't have to be italian, its just that for 2 years running we've done asian, I wouldn't mind something different. Though on thursday I'll probably just be there for drinks as I'm taking AH and his wife to the blazing onion for lunch/early dinner.

I might suggest Ipanema's for a fancy dinner gathering. They're really quite good. Ok vegetarian option too, since their salad bar is extensive (more like an 'all things veggie' bar). It's about $40/person for the Rodizio and $22 for just the salad bar, though, so a little more pricey.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Oh, I might do another cheese run thing one of the PAX days (I'm thinking perhaps Sunday morning, like we did last year?). Start at Calf & Kid, work our way down to Pike Market, end with noms at the park by the Market.

Who's interested?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    I am in for the cheese run. Though it depends if my friends are up to it as well since I am meeting with them on Sunday.

u7stthr17eud.png